Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zore posted:

Honestly if you had a better sprite artist you could probably pass off some as real pokemon (I think the poison bat-blob is good enough for this).

That's not the only reason things feels off.

GameFreak has the advantage of being able to design a ton of Pokemon and then whittle away any that don't meet their standards.

Fangames can't exactly do that, so if something's not up to snuff gently caress it, it's going in anyway because either money was paid for it or the sunk cost fallacy means any time spent on a sprite is a waste if it's not used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cattail Prophet posted:

Fomantis and Lurantis' types make perfect sense because they're just flower mantises in reverse; instead of an insect mimicking a plant they're a plant mimicking an insect.

Fomantis and Lurantis are also loving adorable.

Instead of being orchid mantises, they're mantis orchids!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 22, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KataraniSword posted:

If only Onix had a horn Pikachu could aim for.

Or could zap a sprinkler system to get Onix a little moist, turning it into a water type. I'm 99% sure that's why the move 'soak' exists.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Here's my original-Pokemon-do-not-steal.

I call it Cant.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I love Bug Types. They've been great ever since my over-leveled Beedrill's pin missile carried my crap team against Sabrina back in Gen I, so my gimmick playthrougs usually involve doing monotype bug runs. They were pretty difficult for a long time because I was always relying on Scyther/Scizor, Forretress, and Heracross to carry things along.

Gen IV helped a little when it added Vespiqueen and Yanmega to the roster for two actually tolerable bug/flying types (even if I catching a female combee is a chore), but it was really Gen V changed my all-bug gimmick from "possible I guess" to "really damned good" by adding Galvantula and the monsters that are Scolipede and Volcarona. It also helps that Joltik was the cutest `mon of its generation.

Then Gen VI added Megas, and Mega Beedrill got really good (but still fragile) and the first of the butterfly/moths that I don't absolutely hate: Vivillon, which has a great (but dumb) gimmick move that makes fire types explode.

I was disappointed that Vivillon was the only new bug we got in Kalos but Gen VII made up for it by adding not one but two really good bug/water types in Araquanaut and Golisopod (I prefer Araquanaut because it's got a better ability) and the adorable and amazing dragon-slaying Bug/Fairy Ribombee. Gen VII also boosted the power of Leech Life to 80 (from 20), giving Bugs an amazing life-draining stab move. Also, Lurantis is the first Grass type I actually chose to use voluntarily, but that's neither here nor there.

It looks like a bug, it counts. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I dunno, Heatmor seems pretty hungry like a wolf.

It'd have to be, given that its prey (Durant) are faster and strong enough to two-shot an even-level Heatmor with X-Scissor while being tough enough to avoid a one-hit KO even with their 4x fire weakness.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cathode Raymond posted:

Holy poo poo, they even left the Tau emblem on there. Shameful.

Even better, this particular Tau tank I found after a 30 second google search (it's the very first result for "Tau Skyray Poser"). They scaled up the model to make it fit whatever other poser poo poo they crammed into the background and hastily traced, but didn't bother to scale up the doors.

That's why you can see through the tank to the wall behind it. :haw:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 1, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's kinda funny you mention that cause the animal (i think) it's based on (the oranda) just has a fleshy brainish looking blob on it's head rather then a literal brain, and it's known for being cute

The Oranda is the fish version of the Pug. That blobby tissue grows into their eyes and blinds them and has to be cut away otherwise they can't see to eat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Splash posted:

That does seem to help it be less jarring:

I thought maybe cutting down on the pink and brain lines would help but instead it went from Brailip to Testilip.

I borrowed your sprite for convenience for this, but:

I think we're missing the forest for the giant pulsating brain when it comes to brainfish. The problem's not the brain (that's creepy but fine). The problem is the lips that jut way out and don't look like they attach to any part of the fish's actual body. Make them smaller, add some gill lines, and it's... alright?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 3, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bluhman posted:

The head is at least, but for all we know Diglett could be a gigantic drill or some kind of mole-like body beneath the dome head.

Or something creepier

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

I'm a huge fan of Sage's competing Grass types: Growmeo/Montegrew and Tuliep/Capulilly are fantastic puns.

This makes me sad than X/Y didn't get a pig named Hamlette

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Herr Tog posted:

Child memory fails again. did it's evo have two legs as well?

Standing on one leg is just a thing birds sometimes do. I dunno if owls are particularly known for doing it, but since they're lazy skycats I imagine it probably is.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 9, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Asehujiko posted:

A bigger question wrt Jynx:

Why on earth was "frostbitten corpse" even on the list of designs?

Jynx is a barnacle and a reference to the Yuki-onna. Barbaracle and Froslass do the concepts better, but I'm pretty sure Jynx was a last-minute addition to give Lorelei another ice-type to use.

Now if only someone could explain Cloyster.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

:confuoot:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Added Space posted:

"This game is bad because it focuses on hardcore fans."

This game is bad because it didn't have anyone to winnow out the garbage, to make sure the art was consistent, to playtest the starter trio to make sure none of them got turbofucked, or to tell the programmer that his edgy story was stupid.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Johnny Joestar posted:

also basically all the nuclear pokemon look ugly as gently caress

Doubly ugly since they should be glowing blue with Cherenkov radiation. Uranium and uranium glass fluoresce bright green under a blacklight but that's the trick: that's under a blacklight and has nothing at all to do with radioactivity.

If you ever see green lights in a nuclear power plant you're probably fine. If you ever see blue, run (but it's probably already too late).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

krisslanza posted:

To be honest, I'm a bit willing to cut them slack there if only because every media representation of radioactivity has always been green.
I never knew its meant to be blue.

Oh, I know it's a thing.

I've just never really understood why. Teaching people that glowing blue rocks are bad could've saved a lot of lives. :saddowns:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I see the problem.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It doesn't really have a recognizable silhouette. That's not entirely a problem, but at the same time it kinda is.

Kinda looks like a dinosaur fish to me. Which would be a pretty cool Pokemon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

i'm sorry but i think your eyes are broken, and also that this complaint would be waaaaaaay to nitpicky even if it were valid

Could be, I'm sick and grumpy and running on something like three hours of sleep. It's hard to explain why I hate that bird but I do. Possibly it's just the "we forgot to fill in these feathers" at the end of the wings.

:shrug:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

quote:

Like, it's too much of a coincidence [...] that klingklang looks exactly like gears.

This is a cultural thing. Since Pokemon aren't (or at least weren't originally) supposed to be real animals but are exactly what the name claims: pocket monsters. Klingklang doesn't look exactly like gears, they are gears that have gained life spontaneously. A fair number the inanimate objects seem to get a free pass from people because they're ghosts (banette, drifblim, cofagrigus, chandelure, spiritomb) which are possessing random objects (dolls, balloons, sarcophagi, chandeliers, rocks, etc.), but Klingklang, Voltorb and the like aren't much different.

I just assume that object pokemon without the ghost type are just the newest possessed objects. They're the ones that just haven't entirely figured out what they really are yet and haven't developed their ghostly powers.

It's also pretty telling that most of them, if not actually electric type, have access to electric-type moves. Heck, Alola even made Geodude part electric-type! Even in the west electricity's associated with animation/reanimation, so if they're not ghosts, they're absolutely manmade pokemon like Porygon, they were just made by accident (like Muk and Garbodor). I can still understand why people don't like them, but some of them are pretty neat mechanically (no pun intended) even if you don't like the aesthetics. :shrug:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This is clearly the "the pokeball on the ground is actually an enemy" pokemon.

Like Voltorb and Electrode except so edgy I can feel it slitting my wrists from here.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shugojin posted:

Everybody who plays Tomb of Horrors knows 100% what it is and what they're getting into. It's not pretending to be normal D&D it was literally "Hi, I'm Gary Gygax, and I designed a module with the explicit intent of killing your characters. Let's see if you can beat me!"

"What? You took the adamantium doors off and sold them for more treasure than exists in the dungeon? poo poo. Well, next time they're just valueless illusions!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I just can't parse this. I know they wanted the legs on the left to be individually distinct but instead it looks like the right legs are parallel to the floor while the left legs attach to the body on a 45-degree angle.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ohmygorgon posted:

Well this was a strange update. Why do the starters evolve at 27? Three stage Pokemon generally evolve too late as it is, but your starter? That's ridiculous. For all the things they include just because "it's always in Pokemon," you'd think they'd keep something so simple.

OFS talked about that.

It's because the starters are apparently two-stage trash with mega evolutions.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

rannum posted:

Except they're not really trash? Taking a look at the wiki they have 530-550 BST, that's higher than several actual starters' final forms.

Considering you get them at level 27 that's a pretty sizable stat different compared with the rest of the pokemon, I imagine.

Who gives a poo poo about their end stats? The starter being a two-stage pokemon is a terrible decision from a gameplay standpoint.

The starters in official games level up where they do to give the player a reasonable power spike right when their starters start trailing behind in power and let the games start throwing out stronger encounters. They then evolve again later to give them another stat boost to make them viable for endgame threats. Starters are starters because you can count on them being reliably strong without destroying the challenge curve.

OFS talks about this in the update, too. For the past 11-13 levels or so the starter has been completely useless to him. It doesn't really matter that it gets its final stats early if leveling stickleg dogfish is a complete chore because it's too weak to take on the middleweight threats it's expected to encounter in the late teens to late twenties. When people call out Uranium on bad game design, this is one of the reasons why.

Also finhead thundersharkpony's design is complete trash. The weird stick legs look terrible and from the front it looks like someone stapled Arceus's legs and a shark tail to a Dratini, then painted a lightning bolt on the side to make it go faster. The grass line's design is admittedly worse (flowers for leopard spots is cute but liepard does the look better). At least fire yoshi is sort-of alright looking? A fire raptor's pretty cool.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 22, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

rannum posted:

I misread your post about the end result being weaker, rather than the bad design of having a weak starter during its midteens and going against the whole shtick of starter pokemon. Which I agree are bad! I was at first more looking at the bad design of giving you those stats at your late 20s on a starter rather than a gimmick like magikarp/feebas/wimpod.

Yeah, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear the first time. My reaction was just a visceral one based on the level-curve experiments GameFreak did back in G/S/C. Totodile evolving at 18 felt rough when Cindaquil evolved at 14 and Chikorita evolved at 16. The fact that you get Feraligatr at 30 didn't quite compensate for those extra 2-4 levels of midgame weakness, while Typhlosion wasn't really hurt by not evolving until level 36 because that's about when you need the third stage power-spike.

And then I imagined those 2-4 levels were stretched out to 10 in a game that already expects you to grind heavily to even try to stay competitive.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

to be fair, clover is going for intentionally stupid/bad/offensive designs. uranium is actually sincere.

Every part of Clover is stupid, but I will say I kinda like the Mariguana pun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

Now try it with a Scolipede :unsmigghh:

And Araquanaut, the truck-sized water spider. :haw:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Too late, your Fomantis has picked up your bad habits & attitude.

Fomantis is the best. :kimchi:

It's the first grass type I've ever voluntarily used for more than a single gym.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

UmbreonMessiah posted:

As an aside...I cannot believe nobody's brought up how stupid the idea of starters with only one evolution BECAUSE MEGA EVOLUTIONS is.

We have.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

technician man, what an ability

The reason Scyther hasn't been able to get Bug Bite since... what, Emerald?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

WrightOfWay posted:

It's been a tutor move since Gen IV.

Has it? I could've sworn they added it into the move tutor in the third game of one gen and then removed it immediately the next.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

That's not how that song goes :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I feel like Ronch has seen some things and like, he's fine now, he just has some trouble getting out of bed some mornings.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Genocyber posted:

Do not make fun of May's chipmunk heritage.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The rare male version of the ubiquitous boobs + butt pose. Just as awkward in Pokemon sprites as it is on comic book covers.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Bloviate, to turn a normal type move into... a normal type move with a sound component?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Aesclepia posted:

Pokemon: Depleted Uranium

Would this be Pokemon Uranium with all the Edge(tm) filed off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Wait, is that bear using his own tail as a snowboard?

It's a very confused fursuiter

• Locked thread