Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pokemon Uranium is a fanmade Pokemon game created in RPG Maker XP using the Pokemon Essentials script package. It features over 150 new pokemon, new moves and abilities, its own region to explore, and some good ideas bogged down by plenty of baffling decisions, bad design, and novelty for novelty's sake.

It also has an antagonist who quotes Oppenheimer. But all in due time.

So why am I here? Tie Tuesday did a run right after its release in August 2016, which some of my e-buddies watched, and they posted about some of its more bullshit moments, which got me curious. And the more I saw, the more curious I got. How far did I go?

Well, I decpryted the game, which not only gave me complete knowledge of its inner workings, but gave me the ability to edit it, meaning I could circumvent its most tedious aspects to get to the guts. At its core, Uranium is a very unbalanced game, and I wanted to show that to the world without the part where I'd have to grind on random encounters for hours just to stay on par with the enemies. And it gives me the ability to train and rotate a massive cast of goobers despite this game's insistence I never try anything new.

So I've beaten the game. Completed the Pokedex. Fought bonus bosses. There is not a virtue or sin uncovered.

Oh, by the way? The pokemon in that screenshot will do nothing but use Overheat until it runs out of PP or dies, and Overheat is a 140-power move so it hurts like the dickens. It has the ability Contrary meaning, rather than the normal cut to its special attack Overheat as a drawback, its already formidable 181 special attack is increased by 181 more each use, which is such a drastic increase that almost nothing can survive after one, much less two or three boosts. It has 249 speed due to the choice scarf, putting it ahead of nearly everything else without its own choice scarf at level 70. If you do not pack specific answers and deploy them at the exact right time, this thing will crush you.

It's not even the most broken thing on the guy's team.

Welcome to Uranium.

I've already beaten the game, so any suggestions like use this guy or go there I can't act on. This LP won't exactly be new-to-pokemon-friendly, as a lot of what Uranium does wrong is on the technical side. I'll try to explain everything that's going on as best as I can but I'm still going to get really deep and will probably forget something along the way. I'll be mostly summarizing scenes and dialogue, if only to make this less tedious. Uranium is way too wordy of a game to transcribe its text. This is on version 1.1 so it has some features and bugfixes absent in earlier versions, and there may be new releases while this thread is ongoing I won't cover.

SPOILER POLICY: Don't spoil one goddamn thing, even behind tags. With my big and beautiful backhoe I will dig up everything.

UPDATES:

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Fan Art, or Fart:

Burger Flipper gives our protagonist Dick Solomon a fitting sprite:

The Ayshkerbundy gets Garlikid, man:

Then The Ayshkerbundy performed splicing experiments:

Dr. Fetus mourns the late PUSSYMASHER:

MissEchelon likes all chimeras.

MissEchelon does not like Garlikid.

Naggums likes the space creature.

Dinosaurmageddon asks how far down can Linkite go?

SpruceZeus's buddy makes Daikatuna's design suck it down.

SpruceZeus's buddy puts a spin on Dunsparce evolution ideas.

Burger Flipper gives Nuclear Arbok a better biohazard symbol.

MissEchelon draws My Fursona (it doesn't make much more sense in context).

Garlikid has witnessed Megane's true power!

Scarodactyl visits Lavent's burger joint on the ocean floor.

MissEchelon cannot handle a shrimp holding a gun.

The Ayshkerbundy knows people who are getting hit.

Scarodactyl polished up the top boy some.

Scarodactyl then gave it some weights to lift.

The Ayshkerbundy's favorite Uranium 'mon is Inflategetah.

The Ayshkerbundy correctly spoils Uranium's big plot twist!

PBJ has the sane reaction to the big plot twist!

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 8, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The first thing after starting a new game is a prompt to play the game normally or play a weird variant difficulty mode that would demand even more dependence on grinding and RNG than normal.

Welcome to Uranium.

It has a bog standard Pokemon intro. This project began in 2007 or so I've been told, which would've put it shortly after Diamond and Pearl. It kept up with game mechanics until its release, so this has features like Mega Evolution and the Fairy type.

Don't look too closely at his hand. Or at the sprite in general. The spritework in Uranium is passable at best and

disconcerting at worst.

Is the professor wearing jorts I swear I will fu-

Uranium is a fan production and uses fan terminology and unofficial definitions. It's suddenly jarring to have the characters in the game use slang.

Uranium has 3 options for the player character's appearance. The male on the left, the female on the right, and an androgynous, gender-neutral option in the middle. This is a nice touch, giving players a variety besides all dude or all lady.

The problem is the bad spritework continues here, and the other two options look really... off.

So I go with the male PC, because I am a misogynist and because it's the least-awful sprite. The name was provided by resident person Inthesto. The PC name has 12 slots. Great! If only Pokemon did too!

I need a foreshadowing filter.

Excellent.

As is standard for Pokemon games, it begins with exposition over a black screen.

Wait, no, that's not how any of them go.

Also it has what Uranium wants you to think is ominous and somber music.
Nuclear Plant

It's a remix of the Dark Cave theme from Pokemon Gold & Silver. Uranium has a lot of remixes in its OST.

"O"ST.

One of the few times I can give a Bulbapedia link for a character. This game is Pokemon Ranger fanfic on some level.

Also this makes the Uranium protagonist one of the few to have a known father.

Most characters are original for Uranium though.

Uranium uses "their" and such for the protagonist's pronouns. It may be accommodating having a gender-neutral option, or it may be not wanting to program three separate versions of lines. I'm not sure how much of each it is.

Also this makes the Uranium protagonist one of the few to have a named mother.

Oh great, what we needed, a tragic backstory.

You know what that means.

PANIC! MELTDOWN! DEVASTATION!

Everyone but mom evacuates.

This makes the Uranium protagonist one of the few to have a tragically dead mother.

You know that cheerful boy you played as in the second Pokemon Ranger game? Now he's bitter and buries his grief in his work.

This makes the Uranium protagonist one of the few to have a defined auntie.

After tragic backstory, we get control. First thing I do is check the PC item storage to get a potion, like in Red & Blue.

This is the only time PC item storage is relevant as the player has infinite item capacity. I don't know why besides that it's a default part of the Pokemon Essentials script package.

Auntie is nice and supportive of us starting our Pokemon journey. Auntie is not a bad part of this game.

Auntie also gives the running shoes. Normally you'd have to hold a dedicated run button, but you can toggle always running on the menu. I of course always run.

Arbitrary Undertale references are a bad part of this game.

Arbitrary giant dog erotica is perhaps even worse!

34 of the 200 pokemon in the Tandor pokedex are from the official games. The rest are new. And furthermore, Uranium adds some new evolutions and mega evolutions to spice a few of them up.

On the way to the lab, we're stopped by someone shouting off screen!

It's our rival, Theo. He's young and brash and impulsive.

How young, exactly? Dunno. Don't know how old Dick Solomon is either. He's at least 10 to have lost his mother 10 years ago, but how much older is unclear.

Then again this is Pokemon, which started with a 10-year-old toppling criminal empires, so it's whatever.

Jorts, tiny shades that don't actually cover his eyes, forgetting Theo's name... Bamb'o (pronounced bam-boe) is kind of a douche, huh?

The ostensible reason we're getting a Pokemon and going on a journey is to be a research assistant for Bamb'o. This does not include wages, which I only mention because Uranium is very stingy with money.

Theoretically the guy studies types but in the end he just gives you stuff for catching a lot of poo poo.

Rather than letting me look at the three goobers and picking one, Uranium is different for Reasons (a recurring element). He insists the starters have totally different styles and we gotta pick one that gels with our style, and we have to do a short questionaire.

Notice how they're color-coded? They correspond with the grass, fire, and water starters.

So it's just roundabout for no reason.

I find it vaguely appropriate that button-mashing gets you the high-power low-durability starter.

I'm aiming for the water-type starter, so I answer the blue option. This is true for me, though the poke ball in question is usually a quick ball so it starts and ends with the throw.

Truthfully it's Protect but that's because I'm a fool for doubles.

Gyarados would totally dunk the others but I have to rep the sheep that Ampharos theoretically is and also pick blue answers to get the water starter.

I guess "exploring the region" is the technical term for showing the metaphorical cracks in the pavement.

For teaching my Ampharos hidden power or whatever I get the blue starter.

Why was this so convoluted? Was "hey grab a tiny animal" too pedestrian?

I don't remember who picked most of the nicknames I used. Hell, I probably won't even remember the ones I picked myself.

Theo gets the starter weak to ours. So if we picked green answers to get the grass pokemon, he'd end up with the Eletux. That this way it's the one that actually fits his personality is incidental.

Of course, now that we both have starters we have to fight. It's iron law.

Theo has his own battle music.
Theo Battle

But one of the things with Uranium - or maybe RPG Maker XP or Pokemon Essentials in general - is that its music folder is completely out in the open. Just take a song you like, convert it to .ogg with a program like Audacity, take out the original song, then put in your .ogg and rename it to the song it's replacing. So instead of the default PU-TheoBattle.ogg you can have whatever tracks you can jam in.

So Pokemon is technically cockfighting on some level, and my Eletux is apparently a horse of some kind. So, clearly...

The Sounds of Animals Fighting - My Horse Must Lose

As you might be able to tell by its lightning bolt decal and name of Eletux, Zapmander is water/electric. Theo's Raptorch is fire/ground, and the third starter Orchynx is grass/steel. These secondary types don't form a second triangle like the X & Y starters' dark/psychic/fighting types do. Ground beats both Steel and Electric. But what it means in the here and now is Water Gun will strike for quadruple damage and obliterate the opponent.

One thing I have to give Uranium is that its radial-looking menus are pretty slick all things considered.

Reprising a thing from my last attempt to LP a Pokemon game, here's a new, updated, and more colorful move info card.

Water Gun is utterly unremarkable by most metrics but I appreciate starting with a water move.

Ember is on the level of Water Gun, besides that 10% burn chance popping up now and then (which it did in my test run amusingly enough). Zapmander tanks it handily.

Then dunks Raptorch instantly.

Theo starts crying because his first battle was a loss, and because his starter has the type disadvantage.

And he runs off crying.

Theo is one of the more realistically-written children in a video game, in that he's a selfish little poo poo. That's probably not a good thing.

Our next goal is to comfort the crying child who feels his dreams have been crushed and learn how to abduct chipmunks.

But before that, there's a town map in the lab, so let's check out the Tandor regio-

is that a place named anthell

gently caress

Tandor is ostensibly based on Brazil, I'm guessing the state of Pará by its geography, but that's just a guess. It doesn't do much with its Brazil-ness.

Uranium's Pokemon info shows IVs and EVs directly. This is a fair bit more complicated than I want to get into on the first update, so all you need to know for now is that it's both extremely helpful and extremely ominous that we get to look beyond the veil from the start completely unambiguously.

Oh yeah, a few Uranium pokemon have animations. The starters front sprites do, for example. You can see Raptorch up there is in a few different frames. What about Zapmander?

Welcome to Uranium.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 16, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Crosspeice posted:

Oh yes, I hope you go over what stuff was before you changed it and maybe even an attempt at it before it all goes horribly wrong?

All I did was edit the price of Rare Candies to $10 and made one shop sell them, and then at the end edit a random encounter table to fill out the pokedex with one-or-the-other type things like the starters I'd otherwise have to beg on the internet for.

Everything except my Pokemon keeping up in levels is purestrain uranium.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Orange text on a yellow background next to a white background is a little hard on the eyes.

Didn't think about that. How about a cascade of pleasing cool colors?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SSNeoman posted:

Coulda change the pink text to something else?

Maybe I could go with a move we won't actually see in the course of gameplay.

Also spcl or spec as a contraction of special? And what would I do for status-category moves? Stat?

AlphaKretin posted:

I would have missed this if I wasn't sent the link, you haven't advertised it in the New LP Thread Thread!

I know it's weird for a thread that's nearly two years old but I forgot that's a thing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kerning Chameleon posted:

No, this won't do. Since this is a terrible fangame made by terrible nerds, there is only one color palette that is appropriate.

Invert the colors and make it a "dark theme". My precious OLED pixelssssss

So what you're saying is adopt Uranium's brooding dark colors and garishly bright greens?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
SMT4 lets you save anywhere and pick which skills are inherited in fusions.

And it will mop the floor with you if it feels like it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Thanks for establishing this, not like there was a text crawl that's kind of redundant with normal worldbuilding elements.

Theo runs upstairs when he sees Dick Solomon enter.

His father, Cameron (the guy from the intro, yes) is kinda miffed at the source of his son's misfortune.

But he understands when we explain.

Cameron is an alright execution of supprotive dad, maybe I'm just glad there's a father-son relationship in a video game that's, like, mutually amicable and there's no resentment or anything.

Not a whole lot of those in the world, especially when Uranium's set up Dick Solomon's dad to be distant and cold.

Of course Cameron has to SUBTLY HINT that he's going to get killed by a rampaging dinosaur

wait I mean that he's leaving for his next job, at a new nuclear power plant.

Much less ominous.

He also gives us what is essential a smartphone, in that it works as a telephone, has a map, and let's us play pirated MP3s.

Theo's cheered up and races off.

Upstairs he has a story where he's awesome and wins all the time and I'm jealous.

I think they're going too far in establishing him as a literal child.

Uh, yeah, sure lady.

There's only one pokemon in Uranium I find cute, and I'll reveal the secret when it's time.

This lady's grousing about her son playing video games. What game is he playing?

Haha! Wow!

Bamb'o is along the west edge of town and walking up starts the capture tutorial.

Unlike normal capture tutorials, this one happens as a cutscene instead of involving, like, a scripted battle.

That makes it faster, which I am very thankful for, but it doesn't really tell you much. Not sure why you even need a capture tutorial in a fan game anyone who isn't dick-deep in Pokemon wouldn't know about, but whatever.

Bamb'o gives us Pokedexes, Theo runs off claiming he'll catch everything and defeat us, the usual.

One of the goals of this playthrough is to complete the Pokedex, so you'll get to see every little punk coded in this.

Good thing: Route 1 has this whole sunlight peeking through trees effect that I think looks pretty nice.

Combine this with terrain more elaborate than grass or not-grass, it's a pretty route. Anyway, here's the first patch of grass in the game that matters.

For music I've replaced, I'm going to post the original track then my choice, like so:

Original: PU-WildPokeBattle.ogg
OFSelects: T. Rex - Mambo Sun

Tackle is here in its 5-6th generation incarnation, where it had a hefty 50 power and a perfect hit rate. Before Black & White it sat at 35/95 with that legendary 1/20 miss chance, and Sun & Moon downed its power to 40 but kept the accuracy.

Anyway, Chyinmunk is the normal-type trash starter, a tradition started by Ratatta. Unlike most examples, this dumbass doesn't learn, like, any HMs. Wasteful!

Someone suggested Alvin but this Chyinmunk is a girl so I went with his Chipette counterpart.

auntie no the internet is full of memes and smut

Auntie heals your team for you, which is useful this early on.

Those side effects are nigh pointless when nothing learns Fly or Bounce normally and the AI is in no hurry to use either, so it's just a special-based flying move.

Birbie carries on the proud tradition of Pidgey as the early-game bird with late-game prospects that mostly just learns fly for you.

I have no clue about this name but I love it anyway.

The grass in Moki Town is fully functional. It's 100% Chyinmunks.

Chyinmunks give 1 defense EV each so you could grind for defense here, if you're stupid.

This Lass is our first non-Theo trainer battle!

Original: PU-PokeTrainerBattle.ogg
OFSelects: Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne: Normal Battle

Owten is some sort of

owl cat

uh

It's really outpacing Gutterball, though. My guys besides Zapmander can barely do work.

Peck is like Gust, but physical. Or Gust is like Peck, but special, depending on how you view causality.

With what this cat is pecking us is unknown. Zapmander resists flying so it's easy-peasy.

And then Zapmander's ability kicks in! It has a 30% chance of paralyzing the opponent after they use a contact move, which Peck is. Which moves are contact or not is mostly flavor. A punch or kick is contact, but throwing a rock is not. Only two special moves make contact, by the way.

Berries are healing items that can be equipped by Pokemon and they'll use them automatically. Oran Berries restore 10 HP and are used automatically at half. Since we're dealing with totals below 30 this is makes it very useful for winning damage races.

You can plant berries in soil like this, consuming the berry but letting it grow into a new tree that gives more than one in return. But without a watering can there isn't much return for these. Where do we get a watering can?

In the post-game, after the final boss.

Welcome to Uranium.

Wow, that's some... pro tree tiling.

She has that Chyinmunk next to her, appropriately.

It'd be great if Gutterball could get some experience in but she's still level 2 and Zapmander has to do all the lifting.

:D

D:

There's one last thing in Route 1, Cubbug.

Apparently this is cute. Maybe cattepillars with teddy bear heads just ain't my thing.

Does it work for you?

How about now?

A bug catcher has 3 cubbugs and Gutterball can just gust through them, finally she's like a real Pokemon.

Apparently the original name of this Pokemon was Fartog.

Kinda juvenile, but this is the franchise with Stunky, a skunk with a butt for a face whose cry is a fart sound.

There's one free antidote as means to deal with posoin, the ailment, which costs a Pokemon 1/8th of its HP each turn. Raptorch resists pioson and Orchynx is straight immune, so I've got the raw deal when it comes to the final boss of route 1.

It's not that bad, really, but it with a little bad luck it can turn sour.

One trainer per route will will ask for your phone number, and they'll call you for rematches occasionally. I fight literally none because it's not worth the effort.

Kevlar town is on the other side of route 1.

It has a totally normal item shop.

Ahem.

Okay so decrypting Uranium to look at it gave me the ability to change it. this is the summation of the edits I made, because holy loving poo poo is the experience garbage, and it ramps up really fast sometimes, especially near the endgame.

I won't do anything like level one thing to 60 and coast on it. I'll just keep my levels on par with what the game's throwing at me, without having to grind on random encounters. No changes to Pokemon/Trainer data, scripts, or anything but this one shop.

Hahaha see because it doesn't sell these items they'd be really useful!

Haha, that's not funny at all.

Most of Uranium's attempts at jokes are total flops like this.

Kevlar Town also has a bike repair shop. If we happen to find a broken bike, he'll repair it and make it a functional bike!

Kevlar Town is "the smallest town in Tandor" or so it says.

Moki, Kevlar, Nowtoch, is there something to these names I'm not seeing?

The berry shop is missing a salesperson, but we do get four berries new for Uranium. They're functional copies of normal status curing berries.

The first big thing I noticed about Uranium is just how far from town entrances the Pokemon Centers are. You're never ambushed such that not finding it first is a problem, but at the same time it made me uneasy because Uranium is certainly fond of ambushing you elsewhere.

Uranium has functioning online features, for some reason. The server is maintained by dedicated fans. I'll use 'em later.

This guy is supposed to be describing a few bad matchups for our starter but instead he's revealing that besides poorly executed gags, Uranium's other attempt at humor is randomly applying memes.

This Rich Boy is complaining about always losing. Let's help him with that.

Guy has three level 4 Chyinmunk.

Struggle Bug is a decent move, but Buttplug has bad special attack and nothing here besides opposing Cubbug and Birbies will use special attacks, so it's just yet another STAB move.

His three Chyinmunk give 24 experience and 1 defense EV each.

I mention this as he then gets his Pokemon healed up and is open for a rematch exactly as you left off. This is a decent grinding opportunity this early, and $320 isn't a lot but an extra potion might be all you need.

This is the only trainer like this until the endgame.

Up next is Route 2 and Passage Cave, with more weird-looking Pokemon and bad game design choices!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nighthand posted:

Same. I'm also curious to know what the bug someone mentioned Tie had to deal with was, unless that's a spoiler, in which case save it for when it's relevant I guess.

From the change log, version 1.0.4:

quote:

Battle: Held items will no longer make your opponent take more damage (Please send through any feedback you may have on this one to further help testing)

So since they almost always held items, because why wouldn't you, Tie's pokemon were taking an extra beating.

I'm on version 1.1 so that wasn't an issue for me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

SPOILER POLICY: Don't spoil one goddamn thing, even behind tags. With my big and beautiful backhoe I will dig up everything.

Like speculation is pushing it but then you do the thing I was saying to not do especially as blatant as a post that is nothing but an image behind spoiler tags so your post is big and empty.

I am completing the Pokedex for gently caress's sake, if there's a thing in Uranium we're seeing it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lord Koth posted:

I could be wrong, but i'm guessing this is best exemplified by Fairy. I'd really love a reasonable explanation for how they came up with what it resists and what it's super-effective against. As opposed to, "Well, they're three types that only have 2 weaknesses each, so let's just go with those three," which seems to be the reasoning. Weak to Fire, Poison and Steel, and Strong against Dark, Fighting, and Dragon, seems like such a random assortment of typings.

My hanzo steel folded ten thousand times slices your stupid european folk tale in half in one swing, bisecting it perfectly.

The rest is Ferngully.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Route 2 has this... thing.

What is it

That helps.

rofl no it does not help

Someone suggested Bob, someone else suggested Dennis.

She's Bob Dennis.

Like Geodude or Roggenrola she has a resistance to normal when most things only have normal moves, but unlike them, she's part steel so she's immune to poison and might as well be immune to normal and flying.

So this Hiker has his own Barewl next to him.

Hence why he leads with a Mankey. Hey, an official Pokemon!

Most of my things are light enough that Low Kick isn't any stronger than any other moves we've been seeing, but Bob Dennis is so heavy it'd reach 100 power. Throw in her x4 fighting weakness and it'd paste her.

Low Kick is in general a really good move as things tend to get heavier as they evolve, so it stays relevant the whole time. There are outliers of course.

What's the likelihood it's blocked right now?

100%.

So we have to go through the cave. Let's take a step in and-

Hi, another official pokemon!

Dunsparce has a secret to it, Uranium gave it an evolution! But it's really far away so this guy will wait until then.

This is me realizing I'm not dealing with Nintendo's word filters, so I can include words like sex and gently caress and get away with it.

5% encounter on route 2 is Mankey itself. This is the only fighting-type Pokemon available before the 1st gym.

Memes.

Most encounters in Passage Cave are this fuckwit.

It has a high speed stat and levitate and like no other assets.

I don't know what this person was thinking with this nickname but it's whatever they want!

Sturdy used to just prevent instant-KO moves like Fissure and Horn Drill from working, but in 5th generation it gained another effect. If a move would deal 100% damage in one hit, the Sturdy thing survives at 1 HP.

Extremely useful, extremely annoying.

Unfortunately I condemn him to another eon in the cave.

ANNOYING THING: the encounter rate is ludicrous. Like 2-5 steps there's another Tonemy flying into your loving face. If it weren't for repels this would make me question living.

ANOTHER ANNOYING THING:

They have two moves basically designed to inflict poison. Between their high speed and having only psychic as a weakness, they're guaranteed to get a few of these off. Bob Dennis is immune due to being Steel, as an Orchynx would be too. Everything else is gonna have to guzzle antidotes.

Uranium keeps trying to do bad meta jokes with random trainers.

They never, ever pay off.

Luckily we're out of the cave and into Nowtoch City.

PU-Nowtoch City.ogg

It's a remix of Goldenrod City from Gold & SIlver. I didn't replace most non-battle music because I didn't really care.

Get it? Because he... uh... says the location's name but he's employed to do so?

GOOD: Uranium copies the use another repel feature introduced in Black 2 & White 2.
ALSO GOOD: it lets you select which kind of repel if you have regular, super, and max repels.

The Pokemon Center is really close to the route 2 entrance. This'd be a clever subversion if Uranium normally put Pokemon Centers in sane locations.

Is this how you pronounce Barewl? Most Uranium Pokemon don't have pronunciation guides.

201 individual Pokemon species are defined in the game. If the number seems odd, that's because it's odd.

No awakenings for sale, here or at Kevlar. But Ice Heals gotta be in from the start because... uh...

Uranium thankfully has TMs be infinite use as they have been since Black & White.

Not a hot one to start things off! The coinflip do/don't do something isn't reliable, and it's based on user and target both staying in the fight, so it's really easy to break.

but I'm hungry :qq:

Name Rater is here. He can change a Pokemon's nickname.

Why is a couple discussing raising kids a recurring element?

There's already a kid upstairs, what is this!?

I need the old rod to get my own Fortog, and even then I can't nickname the Baashaun so I never bother with this trade.

geddit???????

is this supposed to be a funny?

isn't the origin of dragonites high-level dragonairs?

How mysterious.

The other side of Route 2 is to the south. Grass is the same as before if you need a Mankey.

There are a few trainers here.

They seem to be leveled as though I've already cleared the gym, which is kinda rude to have out in the open this early.

Bob Dennis's x4 resistances carry the day.

When we get to the other side of the roadblock, a Ranger greets us.

He gives a giant spiel about how the styler works in case you needed to be assured it's harmless and in good faith and not some hosed up mind control device.

You make your own Pokemon game and you still have Captivate as a TM.

Why?

The Ranger stations keep teasing being able to take on missions but it never happens. Is this something they plan on introducing or obtuse references to the Pokemon Ranger games?

Besides brainwashing with tops, the Rangers perform all front-facing government functions i.e. emergency releif and law enforcement. This means we'll be dealing with the Rangers a lot. It's odd how much this game loves them.

The subway will not open until after the 4th gym.

In front of a gym is a fatso, who says the gym leader Maria is not in.

She's home and he's a legitimate threat to her well-being.

And he has a copy of her house key.

What the gently caress?

Anyway the only way to progress is to enter her house without her permission using a shadily-obtained house key.

Spec Ops? Heh. It ain't got poo poo on Pokemon Uranium.

She realises it's because of stalker mccreepy and runs out.

Why is thi-

Okay OFS you can't just ask questions, gotta think of a goof.

No use crying over spoiled milk!

So yeah Maria used to be the top trainer in all of Tandor, but gave it up because of people like Stalker McCreepy. I think.

If this whole debacle must be in here, I'm glad it ends with her threatening to call the cops and the guy leaving.

He mostly leaves but the top of his head is still peeking out.

And when the cutscene is over, he vanishes into nothing.

I've never seen anyone get rejected that hard.

Up next is the Nowtoch Gym and Maria, the Yawn-type specialist.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

It's kind of a coinflip situation because asking to leave stuff about literal stalkers giving you the keys to gym leader's houses is exactly the kind of poo poo that would make a lot of people ragequit an LP, and OFS had said from the getgo this was meant to focus more on the technical side of things.

Also, including dialogue would drastically increase the amount of work this LP would take. There's no handy script, and the dialogue is internally split up between their individual events - a normal thing technically, but it means there's no central text dump.

Unlike Dragon Quest VIII, this game hasn't earned transcription. :colbert:

mandatory lesbian posted:

ghidorah is cooler then any tank

I know someone who agrees with you!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Trick Question posted:

It would probably work better in a game without levels, or a game where the levels are less important, though.

Or a game where using the specific guys you like wasn't such a big part of it. And it shouldn't be a game where the specific difficulty in the area comes from poor playtesting re. encounter rates, because it is everywhere in the game that has encounter rates this obnoxious.

Trick Question posted:

I'm sure this game is bad and we've already seen some bad stuff, but I actually like this specific idea, assuming it was intentional. Maybe we'll see more like it?

It wasn't, and we won't.

I could see it in a game more based around the idea, but certainly not in Pokemon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
However I hit Save instead of Save As so that's now Birbie's front sprite.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I mean the game does not care if I have totally wacky files so long as they have the right name and format. It displays 007.png for a Chyinmunk.

Even if 007.png is something out there.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tyty posted:

The thing that bugs me the most about Birbie's design is mostly the eye really.

Looks a lot better, and if you make the white of the eye a bright blue color (like Pikipek) you can keep the theme of having a big face on the front to ward of predators.

Pokemon has a lot of very well defined stylistic stuff to it, particularly in eyes/claws/etc. The most jarring thing to me usually is how fan designs tend to not follow this very well. Spritework dithering or poorly-defined shapes be damned.

I think you should workshop it some more.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

:yeah:

I remember Quovak did a whole thing in his golden sun LP about fixing the problems with it. It would be pretty cool to collectively do the same to uranium.

I had examining fully-evolved pokemon with something like that in mind, though it'll have to wait as the first thing I get fully-evolved is a canon Pokemon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Aesclepia posted:

A Brave New Pokémon
A Pokémon Too Far
Pokémon Over Troubled Waters
Their Pokémon Were Watching Arceus

Nowtoch Nights

quote:

"It's kind of chilly in here " commiserated Bamb'o. "How come you look so hot?"
"It's this sunlight, groaned Dick Solomon, "I'm boiling on one side and freezing on the other."
The waiter brought their appetizers and set them in front of them. "More beer," he queried? "It's on the house."
"Sure" quipped Dick Solomon and Bamb'o together. The waiter refilled their mugs.
"Hot enough for you?" he quipped?
"Yes," shivered Dick Solomon. I'm boiling on one side and freezing on the other."
"Like Fire and ice."
"Try the cold beer," offered the waiter. " That should help cool you down some."
Bamb'o rubbed his pepper and salt beard, then brushed backs his close trimmed hair.
"Here's to further success with your company," he enjoined. Dick Solomon returned the toast and they clanged their frosty mugs of dark beer together, than swilled large mouthfuls down."
"Ahhh . . . ," declaimed Dick Solomon, "That was good. Cold."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

There are two junior trainers in Maria's gym. There's no puzzle, just chances to walk around if you don't want to fight.

I want to fight.

Dankey's low-kick deals huge damage to the pure-normal Pokemon, and the half-flying ones can't break Bob Dennis.

Well nothing here can break Bob Dennis, but that's really lame.

Huh, it doesn't know any electric moves to use with it. Not that it'd help. Charge is awful at all times in all circumstances.

Haha, geddit? It's what that one trainer from Brock's gym said in Red & Blue! Just... again!

The slower Pokemon always moves second... in a given priority bracket. A move like Quick Attack here goes before slower brackets.

Doesn't help this Birbie.

She also has a new pokemon, the kitty cat Feleng. Intimidate is a hella-strong ability that reduces the opponents' attack one stage just from switching in.

Hey, remember what I said about stores not selling Awakenings?

Yeah. Here's a thing with a sleep move that never misses, so you can be firmly aware how there aren't Awakenings.

But I have Ice Heals! That's important!

Scratch is nothing special, it's how Feleng is gonna claw down your sleeping things.

God, this turn after Yawn hits but while my guy is still awake is frustrating as hell, as there's nothing I can to do to prevent sleep from landing next turn.

Well, except switching.

Except the goddamn thing yawns again.

I made the incredible mistake of planting the berry that cures sleep as it is useful for something much further down the road, so one free full heal is all I have to cure sleep. Even then, if I waited for that berry to grow I'd have all of two because the watering can is in the loving post-game!

Bob Dennis however can take dozens of scratches with her iron body. If I didn't have her I'd be kinda boned by my inability to handle Yawn in a reasonable manner.

This isn't the oddest thing. Cheren returns from Black & White in their sequels as the first gym leader and uses a different team. His old team is a bonus battle in the post-game.

But then they decide to open this pandora's box. There have been underleveled evolutions throughout Pokemon's history, but never have they commented on it. But now the jig is up. How good of a trainer is she? Why can't I ever do it, no matter what I do? What about wild Pokemon that evolved early? Did that Slowbro take that good of care of itself it evolved at level 15 instead of 37?

Having created this conundrum, Uranium then never mentions it again. Thanks!

In getting ready for the gym leader, Buttplug evolves (at its normal level of 10 because I am a plebian trainer apparently) into her new form which looks like a buttplug now, kinda. Her defense is a fair bit higher as this is the cocoon stage, and she picks up a fairy secondary type. This makes her extremely resistant to fisticuffs and unharmed by meteors.

"Your buttplug evolved" is a perfect phrase, by the way.

She ends some sentences with tildes~

What does this even mean~

She gives her backstory again, which we already knew from NPC chatter. AFAIK her motivation for quitting is still that the fame got to her, which... uh... sure whatever.

Original: PU-GymBattle.ogg
OFSelects: Barkley, Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden: Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa: Johnathan Taylor Thomas

Her Pokemon hold no items, have level-up move lists, IVs of 10 (of 31), and are generally unremarkable. Trainer EVs in Pokemon Essentials productions are always level*1.5 in every stat.

I may or may not have known in advance she led with an Owten.

Bob Dennis picked up this power move at level 10. She'll never make anything flinch as she's slow as heck, but 70 power is a lot so I'm fine with never flinching.

For some reason, Uranium trainers have a weird habit of switching out something that's almost KOed even if all it means is I get a free hit on whatever comes in.

Of course, her Feleng has Yawn.

NPC trainers can have items too.

She switches back to Owten for some reason, right when Bob Dennis wakes up.

I try to let Dankey get some work, just to pretend this isn't 100% about Bob Dennis.

Gym leaders have some quip when they're down to one Pokemon. The music also changes.

Original: PU-DecisiveBattle.ogg
OFSelects: N/A

How this engine works is, if the song it's supposed to change to is missing, it just keeps playing the previous one. So we're still on Johnathan Taylor Thomas. I didn't like the last Pokemon music in Black & White, I don't like it now.

Oh, this is Felunge, Feleng's evolved form. It's the same, but more. It didn't Intimidate on entry so it has Cute Charm, like Static but for falling in love.

It of course also has Yawn.

It has Scratch so it can't break through Bob Dennis either.

So glad this dumb whatevertheheck trivialized this entire gym, because otherwise we'd have stare in terror at Yawn with no countermeasures.

For this she gives us the Normal Badge, a badge that's normal. Badges don't do anything in this game, but that's fine. It's about the achievement and the flags.

Return is a weird move. Happiness is an invisible attribute that ranges form 0 to 255, and so Return can have power from 1 to 102. Most Pokemon start with 70, giving Return power of 28, and it goes up with levels, walking around a lot, steroids, candy, etc. At max power, Return is the premeire physical Normal move.

I'm glad to have it.

The game gives us no real direction, but trying to leave through route 2 has Theo catch us.

I imagine if I tried Passage Cave I'd just run into nothing and have to come back to here, but I'm just imagining in bad faith.

Theo's still snotty about losing, and now even more snotty about us beating Maria first.

He of course challenges us to a fight to prove he's the strongest.

Theo has his own Cubblfly.

Bug Bite is a good physical bug move, which is good since Cubblfly has more attack than special attack.

Of course, Buttplug is stuck with Struggle Bug. Cubblfly learns Bug Bite at level 8. When it evolves at 10. There are wild Cubblfly with it, but it's rude that by catching Buttplug as soon as possible I have denied her a good STAB move.

Well, this is hardly unique to Uranium, Shadow Bone at 27 and all that, but a romhack shouldn't have that problem.

Anyway, Gutterball wins off of Gust.

Well now I am the monster with the sleep move.

By the way, Gutterball did in fact get a ton of EXP from the Cubblfly. Evolved Pokemon give a ton more than unevolved ones, and a lot of Uranium's exp troubles come from how rare you get to fight evolved Pokemon consistently.

Too bad it misses and Gutterball dies for the trouble.

Oh well, second verse, same as the first.

Theo almost cries this time. Progress?

He's still huffy though. What do we get?

An HM, great.

Bamb'o had a letter with it, telling us about the HM and to come back to Moki Town. That finally gives us direction. Say what you will about getting railroaded right when you exit a building, at least it means you know where to go at all times.

Rock Smash is a decent move, but as an HM it has a use out of battle. It can crush boulders like those blocking our way to route 3, or composed the road block.

As an HM move it can't be forgotten under normal circumstances though.

Bob Dennis takes it.

It's easy to backtrack to Route 1.

Finally, we've earned the OLD ROD!!!!!

Too bad fishing is hot garbage though. it goes for an extremely random duration before it decides if it's a catch or not, and there's no ! message box to give me an audio cue, so I have to work off the text, which isn't enough for my lame hands sometimes.

It's like they saw Ruby/Sapphire's fishing and decided to make it worse somehow.

Regardless, I get my own Fortog.

IIRC the comment was it looked like a crappy atog.

Magikarp is here, too.

My brother named it.

I shouldn't let him name anything ever again.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlphaKretin posted:

Feleng looks more like it should be a fire-type.

Fire/Fighting?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CoffeeAvenger posted:

I'll admit the Felenge and Felunge look the closest to decent pokemon that I've seen so far, but even they ever-so-slightly miss the mark.

I tried improving Felunge's sprite a bit, dunno if it's any better though. :shrug:

That is the female Felunge sprite, almost exactly. :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

thefailtrain posted:

The ride pager is definitely a good implementation, though the loss of the sense of using "your" Pokemon for the tasks.

This is fine. I didn't have any particular attachment to that Bibarel anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Straight White Shark posted:

but we're like one gym in

There are 188 new designs - Pokemon and form changes - created for Pokemon Uranium. We have seen 12 of them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mr. Vile posted:

And as for the ultra beasts, how is this grass type, this flying type and this a goddamn rock/poison type?

The Ultra Beasts are extradimensional creatures and do not conform to our 3d paradigms. Perhaps it is hosed up to them that Golem is Rock/Ground?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Uranium has a Pokemon with five STABs.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

There's a second path through Route 1 available with Rock Smash.

There's no animation for the rock being smashed.

There's no grass - Pokemon Essentials can only handle encounters by type by map by the way - but there are some trainers here. They don't have interesting Pokemon but they are mostly new trainer types.

Incidentally, I changed the wild Pokemon music.

OFSelects: T.Rex - Metal Guru

And the trainer battle music.

OFSelects: Beck - Devil's Haircut

Triathletes have no notable qualities as I don't believe Uranium has biking and swimming ones, which is what made them triathletes in the first place!

Fishermen generally have Pokemon caught via fishing! I need to cross-reference Fishermen teams with fishing encounters to see if one accidentally has a surf guy.

Don't look at the names too closely!

Gertha is the only expert in the entire game!

And

Tompkins.

Ostensibly the reward is a rare candy, but the real reward is a path back to Moki town without random encounters.

Establishing shot.

Traveling all over the region is good for completing the pokedex, after all, and we need an excuse for Dick Solomon to accidentally get in all sorts of shenanigans.

The boulders blocking the way to the east are a known and consistent quality of Moki Town.

He also checks our Pokedex. I'm being very good at it!

Bamb'o will give us various rewards for reaching certain thresholds.

For example, he gives us a rare candy for obtaining 10 Pokemon.

And something else waits at 20!

This is actually a neat feature, I think. It incentivizes catching things while not being all-or-nothing like the official games, and it gives a reason to return to the professor's lab whenever you have a chance.

Uranium doesn't give you many chances. This is the last time we're required to go to Moki Town until the post-game, and it's really out of the way to reach. Even the subway station is two routes away.

Anyway, smahing the rocks we have finally liberated Moki Town.

Until I hit a screen transition and the rocks reload.

Immediately in route 3 we hit a trainer.

She has a new pokemon, a fire ant.

Get it? Well it's only somewhat of a pun as it is merely one of three ants.

This joke is... okay!

Mankey and Owten are far, far more common here than on route 2. Thankfully it's not like we had to clear the normal-type gym to get here or anything.

OH WAIT

By the way, Headbutt has its HG/SS functionality programmed in i.e. shaking wild Pokemon out of trees.

No trees are actually programmed to do this, though.

Well, uh, hi there, endgame-quality move. This is the best special grass move for, well, everything that learns it.

I am good at nicknames.

I have to bear with Uranium's fishing mechanics some more. Ugh, ugh.

It's worth it, though.

Lotad and its evolutions are unchanged from vanilla, but the circumstances around them re. Giga Drain TM and Water Stone are on route 3 make them a lot better.

I get my own ant.

Bless you, ants.

Hey I feel like doing this apropos of nothing.

I got a second mankey hoping it'd be better specced than Dankey (it wasn't) so let's wonder trade it!

I got another Barewl.

That's wonder trading!

gently caress YOU

Sand castles!!!! :buddy:

Lotadio splashes in!!!!

And he wins damage races he shouldn't due to Giga Drain's power and recovery!

Be glad, lass and bug fans in the audience. Uranium does not treat Bug like a joke type in the slightest.

Encore's an interesting move with deep tactical applications that we'll never see because that's only in pvp.

I like referring to better rpgmaker productions.

Let's never speak of Snatch again.

Black Belts specialize in fighting types. That's about it!

Buizel is also unchanged from vanilla. It's a 1% encounter.

Welcome to Uranium. Welnium.

Route 3 isn't too long, and its s-shape of going down to the beach and up to the grass is kinda neat. Too bad there's no real shortcut.

Anyway, next is Burole Town, a location that forgot to have much of a coherent theme.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Um.

Burole town is boring as poo poo and it's full of water that has no fishing encounters! The game still says "not even a nibble!" though, so it's hard to tell if you're having bad luck or if there's just nothing there to even catch!

A few Burole residents say that Moki Town sucks. Most don't. That's as close to a character as this town gets.

Uh, thanks for telling me about this evolution, and not any of the 6 trade evolutions, lady!

Oh my, Blants has a perfect special attack IV and a nature that ups it even more.

Maybe this little ant has potential.

Potantial.

This is the totality of the Burole gym leader's personality.

There's exactly one cave, and it's the gym.

Such a weird town.

Oh boy, kitsch nick-knacks!

Wait it's drugs. Well then.

These items are powerful restoratives, but they reduce the happiness of Pokemon that consume them. Be mindful of who is relying on Return for damage, or needs happiness for something else. Otherwise you can tank it at your leisure.

There's a school in Burole, but instead of giving gameplay tips it provides meaningless chatter.

The second floor has four trainers to fight.

Bob Dennis has her first STAB move, and it's acceptable.

Oh yeah, her opponent is a li'l lizard pokin' out of the ground named Grozard.

You'd think a child with an inner tube would use water Pokemon. In most cases you'd be right, except for this one, right here.

He's got starters for some reason.

While it doesn't go as high as Low Kick, Karate Chop's consistent power and 1/8 critical hit ratio are appreciated.

Took until level 13 for Zapmander to get its other STAB. Sheesh.

Hey, it's Chyinmunk's evolved form! Kinetmunk is Normal/Electric, but it's still pretty garbage.

...Uh

what is this thing?

Is it a snake with a grabby hand on its butt?

Well it's mono-dragon and it has a good attack stat and poo poo all else.

These trainers are enough for Lotadio to hit level 14 and evolve.

And rubbing the Water Stone on him puts him in his final form, Ludicolo. He's not going to get any moves from leveling but Giga Drain will carry his butt for a long, long time.

Davern's theme is "caves". This extends to his Pokemon selection. He's not a rock-type or ground-type expert, he uses Pokemon found in caves. His theme is caves.

His gym's puzzle - using that term liberally - is smashing rocks until one of them randomly provides the key item.

There we go.

His junior trainers use three of the same Pokemon. They're ones found in caves.

It's a really simple gym. Here's Davern.

He recounts his entire backstory, which is the same as what that old guy said. Davern likes caves.

Is that a wispy mustache or does he have a lot of nostrils?

OFSelects: KMFDM - Disobedience
No particular reason I used this here, I just like this song and was short on ideas.

His Grozard opens with Bulldoze. The assured speed drop is annoying, but Lotadio one-shots it with Giga Drain.

Some sort of Dark/Ground mole with a drill for a face. It also can't take Giga Drains very well.

Barewl's evolution is

uh

at least it looks like something, some sort of horsedeer?

It's still steel/rock so it isn't weak to Giga Drain. Lotadio still drains it out.

Tofurang is Tonemy's evolution. Now it's some sort of mohawk hippo. It's lost Levitate but got Intimidate.

This would be a real mean move if I didn't have a steel-type thing. Bad poison is a lot like regular but it starts at 1/16th damage and doubles each turn.

It's not totally helpless as it has a ghost move. Uranium uses the 6th generation type chart so it hits for neutral damage.

Both of our moves get their side-effects. One of these is significantly more useful for winning a damage race.

That's two of eight!!

And at level 15, Bob Dennis becomes a horsedeer herself!

Well, uh, this is a really good move. Fighting is an incredibly useful type so even if I will never hit the bonus of clearing out damage-halving screens, a 75-power move that most things can learn is still a huge boon.

Davern has nothing interesting to say.

That's all Burole has, but I'd rather not end the update here.

Pokemon Uranium OST: Route 4

To the east of Burole is Route 4, which of course comes with new wild Pokemon!

Ekans has no new or interesting traits... for now.

The people who give me nicknames like memeing me.

Uranium's own Pika-clone! Except theirs is ground/electric.

Its ability puts its first move in the +1 priority bracket. There are some tricks I could've done with that if I didn't have better tricks.

The lakes don't have any fishing encounters, but the oceans do. An annoyingly rare one is:

A fish with an exposed brain!

Blants hit level 16 somewhere in there and learned this move.

It's an upgrade to Ember, even if I'll never use the side-effect for anything. But more importantly, it's a condition for Smore's evolution!

Now Blants is properly a fire-type. Bug/Fire. Bire.

Besides two random encounters on route 1, Lungs?! was leveled from 10 to 16 entirely on the rich boy in the Kevlar Pokemon Center. It took 27 battles, as evidenced by Lungs?! hefty chunk of defense EVs. This earned me 8,640 neo-shekels. This is the only way besides wild Pokemon to get something caught up, as Uranium's level curve is not kind to me.

It was not fun.

There's more to route 4, to be sure, but... we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Color Printer posted:

Oh, did they actually change that?

Blants is assuredly Mild and not Impish, so yes they did.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Dos posted:

does this game have an option for shift/set mode in battles?

Yes. I've had it on Set from the start.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Antivehicular posted:

It really makes me think of Digimon, honestly, especially since the bat is such a Digimony design anyway. If they both have third evolutions that are weirdly humanoid and overdesigned, that'd basically clinch it.

It doesn't. Not like it couldn't use one.

(hp/atk/def/speed/sp.atk/sp.def order for some reason)

BST of 430 is pitiful, and it's a boring-rear end pure poison type.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Okay, I worked out Tofurang's evolution.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I also caught one of these! It was part of a plan in the earliest scheming phases, but that fell off when I got better plans. It was to be a counter to that Overheat spamming 'mon in the OP, but when it finally came time to face it, just merely nullifying fire damage with Flash Fire felt so

quaint.

Obligatory shorts kid.

While Hidden Power sits in the menu as a normal move, its effective type depends on the user's IVs. This makes it essentially random based on the individual. There's science to check what type it is that'd be trivial since we can directly view IVs, but I prefer the old fashioned trial-and-error strategy.

It's so weird that Uranium has TMs sitting in plain view along the main path like this.

Sr. Goldkorn is the game's sole Gentleman. His name reads awkwardly.

This battle background doesn't fit at all but it sure is pretty.

Probably because it was straight stolen from X/Y.

Oh yeah I caught one of these too. I don't care about it at all really. It's normal/dark.

A fisherman just up the bridge has Fortog's evolution. Now it's a more awkward frog.

Confusion is the basic special psychic move, to fit our basic special psychic fish.

gently caress

you

Blants's Hidden Power is Bug, which is great as it lacked a special bug move.

That black there is the border of the map. It's not big enough.

Hey, a blatant sign we'll be getting strength and that we need it to get through here!

Water ant. Like Smore it's pure bug but evolves on learning the right water move.

Lotadio and Lungs?! are enough water for now, nevermind Zapmander and Nep-Nep (in reserve).

There's stuff to the right here, but if we step on the tile below that staircase on the top, we're forced into the next cave and cannot exit until we defeat the boss. You know, what good games do, trap you in dungeons with no warning before you can even see the dungeon.

Bulk Up is nothing exciting in the grand scheme of things.

Oh hey it's just... sitting here. On the beach. And to get the bike from it we have to walk aaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllll the way back to Kevlar.

Of course, I do that, because I make good choices.

Original: PU-Bycicle(mp3).ogg

Yes it's spelled like that. Yes it has the mp3 in parenthesis but is still an .ogg. No it is not very good. So it needs replacing.

So, when I think bike songs, I think of one band, and one song they did.

OFSelects: Queen - I'm in Love With My Car

Anyway for stepping on this tile we're forced in this cutscene where Theo is trying to go into the cave that is dangerous because of swarms.

He ropes us into being his buddy. We have no choices in here, not even to ask for a chance to prepare for being forced into a cave.

If we try to leave, Theo tells us we can't, and so we can't. The only way to leave Comet Cave is to complete Comet Cave.

He's our buddy in battles though! Exploring a dungeon with a partner showed up in 4th and 5th gens. The wild Pokemon all show up in double battles, and your AI controlled ally has his own Pokemon. In this case, Theo leads with his Raptorch and has his Cubblfly and a new guy we won't see until later, Minyan. Per usual they all have IVs of 10 and wild level up moves.

This is one of many hold items that boost damage of a given type by 20%. This is the one for Poison, obviously.

Comite is something I can't catch yet because Theo won't not try to KO everything. I later grab one I name Sedimental, because it's rock/psychic, geddit?

We can get utterly torn up in each fight, but it's fine as having a partner means your Pokemon are fully healed after every fight. At least I get that out of being forced into this cave.

On one hand it boosts HP by 10 EVs. On the other hand, it sells for 4900 euros. Probably better to sell these in this game.

What you aren't seeing is that there's an encounter about every 4 steps. It's quite a pain in the butt to have to chop down a Tonemy or two every few seconds.

Hey, it's an evolution stone. If nothing else Uranium gives you more than enough to fill the Pokedex.

The cave's been shaking every now and then.

It shakes again and Theo runs away over a rock.

Then some strength boulders fall. We're more stuck in here than before.

The only way out is through this guy.

Original: PU-SpecialPoke.ogg
OFSelects: Battles: Race : In

Mirrored is a really loving good album, guys.

Terlard is Grozard's evolved form. Now it's ground/dragon. And this one is a level 22 boss encounter. Uranium has a few of these, battles against a lone but very strong wild Pokemon.

Of course it comes with a strong Ground move, pre-packaged.

Not a slouch in coverage, either.

Lungs?! puts it to sleep with Yawn, though.

And then I use my one Dusk Ball I got somewhere (as in I do not remember where) and let all these multipliers hoist each other up.

After all, nothing said I couldn't catch it.

I think they are unified only when they are overcome with searing rage...

And seething lust.

Since it's a fixed encounter and not that hard to catch, I don't have to settle for the first one I see. Instead I take this one.

Whatever issue was causing the cave to have wild double battles has ended, and we only have a normal cave with an obnoxiously high encounter rate!

Duodick was causing it by being a punk, apparently? But since I've enslaved him (them?) he's (they're?) no longer being upset in there.

And we're out of the cave, and it's fall here and only here for some reason.

PU-Route 05-06.ogg

Birbie's evolved form Aveden. Let's see what type Duodick's Hidden Power i-

...Ground? That's... awkward.

The gate to the next town is real close. Rochfale Town apparently has falling rocks, hence the name. No rocks actually fall at any point, though.

The Pokemon Center is in plain view pretty early in the town, for once. This gives me a chance to go back to route 5 and get catching.

Note to self: Maybe the over-leveled fully-evolved thing using STAB ground moves will OHKO the unevolved electric thing.

Third ant. Like the other two it gets its secondary type on evolving.

Hahaha what the heck

Eventually I don't murder Norman Mareedus's digital sheep and pick one up. It will not be the sheep of choice for this run.

This is when Baashaun finally show up in the wild. Why did I want a wild one? To nickname it, of course! What do I nickname it?

...I mean, what else?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Blaze Dragon posted:

But Baashaun isn't orange, how can it be your fursona?

It's only in retrospect that I realize I could've colored its back sprites' wool orange and I seriously regret not doing so.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Antivehicular posted:

Great, now all I can think of is a crossover between Pokemon Uranium and the 30 Days of Abe Owns thread

"fell on a terlard ):"

Duodick [with a cardboard box over each of his heads]: computer run program sigma alpha six, of a girlard who can look at me without spontaneously developing an pokemon uranium official forums account on the spot. engage

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I've hit two reward thresholds. A free PP Up (boost's a move's max PP by 1/5), and...

Substitue is a really neat move for certain circumstances. We probably won't see those as most battles will end up slugfests, but I have, of course, plans.

Anyway here we are back at Rochfale with another bad gag about how many people are trainers in a given region.

And I don't know what the gently caress it's going for sometimes

I hope not! It'd suck!

NOTABLE FEATURE: this dumbass.

He vaguely describes a Pokemon and asks you to show him one. In this case, we bring him Sexhaver Sr. and...

He gives us a Moon Stone. He describes another thing, and this repeats for every other evolution stone and eventually a Nugget.

Route 5 has a few trainers on it, no one exciting.

Here's a move that looks a lot better than it is if you aren't that experienced with Pokemon. That proc is incredibly powerful, but it's so infrequent, and Silver Wind itself so mediocre.

Also not much in Uranium actually learns it. Blants doesn't, for example.

Trying to go to route 6 has us run into Dr. Jorts.

And his science buddy has had problems!

He takes us to see Dr. Cypress and she immediately accuses us! This begins the 6 hour-long mandatory quest to-

Nah just kidding while his jorts and li'l shades are lame Bamb'o is still a pal.

The theif took only the Pokemon and left the valuable device there.

BTW, Lily Cypress has an unused trainer sprite in the game's pictures.

A couple of early sprites that look even worse than normal are still in here.

One of the stolen Pokemon was wandering around, and we have experimental tech to use:

The PST actually works, and the barrier between man and beast is shattered!

The screen dimming for a split second is the visual cue for using the PST. It's annoying.

The Owten rats out the Pokenapper, pointing us towards route 6.

In order to hear the cries of the proletariat, Cypress lets us use the PST some more.

NOTED 4 L8R

There's one Lum Berry here. Lum Berries are the Full Heal of berries. I'd like to have more than one, but that's impossible without the Sprinklelotad.

Which is in the post-game.

There are a few Owtens lurking around and they try to kick Dick Solomon out.

I capture them.

One protects the entrance to the mountain cave.

I take it away.

Inside, a... vegetable youth notices us.

He's screaming for emancipation.

That is, a Pokemon that is a hero for other Pokemon.

So there's this ripped garlic boy, who wishes to fight us.

He actually functions like a trainer, for some reason.

Lunapup is a Ground/Fighting moon-themed sidekick pupper.

And its opposite number, the poison/dark nasty bat Minyan.

Then he throws Baashaun's evolved form at us. It's tough enough to survive two Incinerates!

Garlikid doesn't understand how he lost to an ant that willingly fights for his white master.

Then his buds say gently caress this, we're out.

Garlikid escapes but swears to fight again, for revenge and justice!

I've ran Torment on Heatran before. It was pretty fun. It used it with Substitute since most Pokemon couldn't break Heatran's Substitute except with one specific move.

It's useless to me here, to be clear.

Hooray! I succeeded at winning the mission!

According to Cypress, Garlikid is some sort of noble savage who has a good heart but doesn't understand our enlightened concept of Pokemon ownership.

We get to keep the talk-to-Pokemon device, but we can't use it freely to talk to our own Pokemon or anything. Whatever baffling thoughts guide Lotadio will be forever a mystery to us.

Uranium is pretty practiced at setting up neat ideas but only disappointing with the execution.

Dr. Jorts hands over this! This is pre-6th gen Exp. Share, that gives half of experience earned to the holder. It does not solve the fundamental problem of Uranium's level curve being awful.

Then a giant bird eats him.

We're now free to go through route 6, which includes a trainer with the evovled form of the water ant. A water-type that's not weak to Giga Drain was suspiciously hard to defeat for some reason.

8:51 IS NOT NIGHTTIME?!

So Lunapups appear in route 6 during the day, but I'm not interested.

At night are Minyans, including our new friend Dumbledore. She's a bit of a glass cannon statwise, but her ability makes up for a lot of that.

It gives all her offensive moves, such as Bite, 1/6th HP drain. It really, really helps her sustain.

Dark/Water bitey fish. It's sorta like an opposite counterpart to Lungs?! in that it has good defense and attack.

My Fursona reaches its second stage. Now he's ready to beat up goobers and show the world that Dark/Fighting is actually pretty good typing.

We beat up her idiot pets.

It'd be great if Uranium reprised this kind of joke one or two more times.

Dumbledore gets a decent Poison STAB at level 22. That's about it for her level up moves that are worth a poo poo to me.

So I immediately apply the Dusk Stone to evolve her to bat supervallian Alucard. A mixed attacker with great typing and a good ability, eh? I think you and I are gonna be pals Dumbledore.

This is Owten's evolved form!

Decent move, best thing in flying from a TM anyway.

A Brave Bird TM would be interesting as hell, I think. But what do I know?

Except as part of the RPGMaker engine losing causes you to go back to your last save but anyway

This is the current team! I know it can be kinda hard to follow what all I sub in and out so I'll try to have the occasional shot of the active roster.

The gate to these features is closed due to construction, all three policemen say like creepy robots.

Caves make good cliffhangers.

Was that a pun? I hope not.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tired Moritz posted:

I love that Garlic pokemon. Reminds me of Onion Kid/Duelle in Legend of Mana.

LETS GET DANGEROUS

so nuzlocke runs are weird variant runs based on some dumb webcomic wherein 1) you can only catch the first wild pokemon you encounter in a given area 2) any pokemon that faint are unusable.

And Uranium gives us EXTRA OPTIONS FOR MAXIMUM HARD

But the legendary warrior chumpy can handle any amount of danger!

The legendary warrior Chumpy is taking green options in the exam!

You know, since I can't ensure a Barewl in Route 2 or in Passage Cave, I have to take this Steel type to null poison and resist Felunge's scratches.

That it's this astroturf cat is incidental.

:getin:

Bamb'o gives the same speech to Theo regardless of which starter you pick.

In this case, he gets the one weak to grass.

OFSelects: Tame Impala: Be Above It

wait

why

doesn't

the cat have a grass move?

This is a bit of a problem since we're barely matching it in the damage race and Eletux is faster.

Oh christ that's right it can do that.

All PUSSYMASHER has is Battle Armor, but being hit with criticals is not the problem!

Oh

right

I turned those off

So by taking the grass starter, I've been forced into a losing damage race because I only have Scratch for offense and it triggers Static.

I'd be glad to get a game over here but the game continues even if I lose.

Theo gloats like the goddamn child he is.

And Bamb'o mocks me.

That really hurts you know! :qq:

Oh right this is Nuzlocke mode, so PUSSYMASHER is dead. He's completely deceased. He's loving dead. DEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAD

Cameron I gotta be honest because my late orchynx loving sucked. :qq:

Cameron at least complements his son instead of mocking me more.

Theo is of course a little poo poo.

Then the game aggressively rerails itself back to normal.

I can still use that free rare candy on PUSSYMASHER's remains.

So, uh, I have no living Pokemon.

Against Tath there it softlocks with this runtime error. I have no way around her. Maybe I could catch something?

Nope. Similar runtime error.

So that was the adventure of the legendary warrior Chumpy and their useless-rear end cat PUSSYMASHER.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ZeroCount posted:

Still can't believe they gave one of the starter's Static while thinking loving Battle Armour was a good counterpart for the other one. What's the fire-type starter's ability?

Flame Body, which is 30% burn on contact.

• Locked thread