Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I know nothing about this game other than it is bad and made a variety of people playing it very sad.

I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

marshmallow creep posted:

So do the kind of people who make these games only expect them to be played by people like themselves and OFS? Throwing busted garbage at the player to punish them for not being omniscient or doing exhaustive trial and error research seems to be a thing with a lot of fangame makers.

It's lack of thorough testing. As the creator(s) you are your own worst tester(s) because you know everything ahead of time and have formed an insular ideology around the project. That's why getting outside testers is absolutely crucial when it comes to releasing a game. But for fangames that's often too hard or your testers are your most rabid fans meaning they're probably just as bad a pick as you are or are just asking to test because it means they get to play the game a little sooner than others.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Walrus Pete posted:

Honestly? I'd just stick with black and white. Maybe with a not-too-bright color for the title bars. Something along the lines of this, maybe:

Except, y'know, properly sized and aligned instead of thrown together hastily in Paint :v:

I like this a lot better. Blues are nice but keeping it simple especially in the face of you having many of these for moves is probably the best choice. I also like "phys" "spec" and "stat" best for abbreviations. Or you could try adding the little icons for them from the games.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Actually that looks pretty good. Just make sure you spell "poison" right. :eng101:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The watering can. Why.... :eng99:

Cubbug's sprite is pretty good if not kinda horrific in an endearing way. And yeah Struggle Bug is pretty great in the early game if your bug has a decent Special Attack.

Edit:

VagueRant posted:

EDIT: Apparently berries are a lot more important than I ever knew, I guess? I always ignored them.

It's less about actually using the berries and more that it's an astoundingly baffling design decision to let the player plant berries but have no access to actually farm them until beating the whole game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Dunsparce is extremely my jam. He's a good buddy.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mega64 posted:

Let's throw a :D face on a Zubat and give it a bushy tail, yeah, people are gonna be all over that poo poo.

It's kinda cute and the sprite isn't terrible but it doesn't fit pokemon very well and that's its big fault. Most of these sprites don't, especially when compared to the real ones.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mega64 posted:

Are there any good articles about the creation of new Pokemon? Considering how awkwardly many fan Pokemon stand out, I figure writing about what makes Game Freak's Pokemon work would be an interesting read.

I'm not aware of any offhand. Sounds like it could have been the topic of a GDC talk or Gamasutra article though. My own guess is that Game Freak generally takes a very careful look into mythology, culture and tradition when designing new pokemon for a region. Like with Sun/Moon, there are a lot of island creatures mixed with tribal design and legend from the general part of the real world the game takes place in. Their designs are almost never as simple as "it's a happy bat but with a fluffy tail." Well, post-Gen 1 designs anyway; there were some pretty lazy ones there.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Tyty posted:

on it boss

:popeye:

I knew there was a reason I wanted you for Awful Emblem.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think if people want to redraw sprites and stuff, they should wait until a Pokemon appears in the LP first and then mess around with it. We gotta see how bad they look first to fully appreciate any attempt at fixing them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Dear lord Maria's battle intro cut-in is awful.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Pokemon Uranium: I wanna be the very best, unlike my dead(beat) parents

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Watercrown posted:

Let's just rewind a little bit, because I want to talk about how the very first choice you make in this game that has any effect is also the prime evidence that there was no playtesting. It's choosing your starter. Specifically, the grass starter.

Theo get the starter that has a type weakness to you, in this case, he gets water. As has been mentioned, the water starter will paralyse the opponent when hit with a contact attack. Guess what kind of attack the grass starter has? On top of that, GUESS WHICH STARTER DOES NOT START WITH A TYPED ATTACK. The grass starter starts with Tackle. Not razor leaf, or even leach seed. Tackle.

If you pick the grass starter, you will lose the tutorial fight. You will get paralyzed, at a point where the entirety of the curatives you have access to is a single potion. You will not be able to capitalise on the type advantage you are given. And then, as the cherry on top, while Theo goes off to celebrate his victory, the Professor will chew you out for losing when you had the type advantage.

If you're curious, no, losing here does not have any lasting change to Theo's behaviours. Half way through the chat with his dad, he's back to his default "I won't lose next time" script.

That's atrocious. I might rag a little on Game Freak for always having their starters have the abilities they do since they're boring, but I can immediately see why they wouldn't give anything special to a starter now. A situation like that is just idiotic. How did they devs not see that coming?

(My guess is the devs liked one of the other starters more and didn't test the grass one.)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I mean, I have a staircase handrail that took me over a year to make, because it spent 11 months sitting on the floor of my garage waiting for me to get back to it. I fully expect that there were years in there where very little happened with Uranium.

This. I've had projects go for months without working on them. Hell, Awful Emblem has technically been around for almost 4 years now but there can't be more than 2 years worth of work on it. We took a lot of breaks.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

funktopus posted:

Looking through the Sage sprites really underscores how "off" the sprites in Uranium are. I'm sure it's a big undertaking to make a whole regional Dex, but so few of the names or sprites fit the aesthetic of the series.
By contrast, Sage has some really solid name puns, like a Grass/Ghost named Loneleaf that evolves into Forthorn.

I'm a huge fan of Sage's competing Grass types: Growmeo/Montegrew and Tuliep/Capulilly are fantastic puns.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Holy poo poo that mechadragon. Get hosed Porygon, this is way more worth the investment (so I hope).

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:vince:

Steel/Dragon, with Speed Boost ability, Iron Head, Dragon Claw, and Shift Gear?

:vince:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

What I noticed about most of the original or arranged tracks in the game is that there's almost always some section of the song where the bass gets a little heavier, the notes deeper, and everything sounds a little more ominous, as if to say "check out this more mature take on this series, even the music sounds more mature."

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Did Theo have a full team? That's a lot to go up against for what I assume is only around the 1/3 point.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ah I miscounted. Still, 5 is a lot for this point in the game compared to the official games. Though I'm more comparing to the older official games since almost nothing has a full 6 pokemon team in the newer games these days.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think they can get away with some of their pokemon looking like official ones since Sage's pokedex is completely original and does not rely on official pokemon at all. Hell, the official pokedex has at least three different grass/something mushrooms across all seven generations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Arcade Rabbit posted:

From what I've seen, Sage does some really weird stuff with it's evolutions. Like, branching evols determined by Ice Heal or Burn Heal. It's absurd, but the context and design make it understandable why they evolve that way. From a gameplay perspective, it is very awkward though. But again, this is one of those things that a canon game would never touch, so I'm pretty okay with a fanhack giving it a try.

I think weird evolution conditions would work if the game hints at it well enough. Like, even just having an NPC saying something like, "Hey I heard that strong Kertruffles evolve into different pokemon depending on its status effect, but I can't test it out because I haven't caught one!" would go a long way to helping that sort of confusion ingame. In practice I imagine most people will probably just have the wiki open, but you always want to try and make the game stand on its own.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Her ability gives her a 50% boost to Fire, Electric, and Water moves, effectively granting her 5 STAB types. That 218 HP is not a glitch, it's intentional madness. 160/90/90 defenses make Superfly nigh loving indestructible it she's not being hammered by STAB weaknesses. Her special attack is a beefy 105, perfect for having so many good moves. Speaking of!

She can use TMs to cover whatever evolution didn't give her, and even then some. She gets good special moves in grass, ice, poison, and fighting in addition to her 5 STABs. Heal Order is still there from the relearner, as are plenty of set-up and support moves. Evolving her from a Triwce, for example, would give her access to Tail Glow. And Baton Pass is in her egg moves because sure, let her do that too.

Hello, police? I'd like to report some illegal as gently caress activity. This game is getting out of hand!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Scarodactyl posted:

Not to repeat myself but Lavent

Yes please, and a large soda.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I know Pokemon games like to have the big bad whatever occur between the 7th and 8th gyms but not even introducing the antagonist until at least that time is just dumb. They're not an antagonist at that point. They're just some random "evil" person who won't get the necessary amount of screen time to properly establish themselves as the bad guy.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh god, that's gonna be the answer isn't it?

Did our mother have a name? Is it anywhere close to Curie?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Rainuwastaken posted:

Imagine a Mario romhack where, between each level, there are story beats detailing how everything has gone to poo poo and a bunch of evil koopas have started doing shady poo poo. Then the level starts and you're back to bouncing off goombas, Mario shouting "wahooo" like normal.

In addition to the apparent fangame like this in the Fangames thread, someone's LPing a Mario romhack that does exactly this in the Romhackeria thread right now.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ah I was unaware.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Like I said previously, just because something spent a long time in development doesn't mean it was being actively worked on for that entire period. There have been movies that have been "in development" for multiple decades because they keep having trouble finding writers, directors, actors, etc. interested in working on the project. I've had some woodworking projects "in development" for over a year because I put in a few days of work, put them in the corner, and am waiting until I feel like coming back to them.

Likewise, our Awful Emblem project has been "in development" for 4 years now but if you only include the time where we're actively working on it it's more like 1 1/2 years.

Probably won't stop us from touting it as "The product of X years of development!" if we ever finish it though. :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I actually like this idea for a Championship a fair bit. It's like the Gym Leader rematches to some extent.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It is just incredible how dumb this game is at times. I keep underestimating it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Randalor posted:

Huh, I didn't even realize that what I wrote was basically the plot of Metroid Prime but without "also, Space Pirates doing hilarious experiments that end in failure".

It's too bad no one in this game is anywhere near as entertaining as the Space Pirates in Prime 2.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I AM SOOOOO SHOCKED

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Urayne...Uranium...

It's just a lazy not-pun.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Great LP, horrible game.

Thanks for the wonderful ride.

Scarodactyl posted:

Well, you asked for it...

202.png:
EDIT: forgot 202b.png
Stats are official.

:holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Scarodactyl posted:

I was showing off the sprites and one of my friends made a really awesome rendition of Tortabool in a slightly more modern style. I figured people in the thread might get a kick out of it too:

This is amazing. Your friend did a good job.

• Locked thread