Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Nuclear type, Pokemon Uranium adds the Nuclear type. I shouldn't be surprised but I am. I mean not only is it entirely unnecessary, but they worked on this game for years and that's the best new type they could come up with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

I think the best way I can describe this game is as a cargo cult Pokemon games. Their not really designing so much as their just going through the motions of a Pokemon game. Why do you have to detour through a cave filled with bats to get to next town? Because you always have to detour through a cave filled with bats to reach the next city in Pokemon games. Why is captivate a TM? Because is is in the other games, ect...

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Mr. Vile posted:

I think Celesteela is based on a bamboo shoot so I was really confused when it turned out not to be grass type.

Celesteela is based on Princess Kaguya from The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, which is why it looks like its made of Bamboo, its Steel Flying because its literally a goddamn rocket ship built to go to the moon.

Kartana is Grass/Steel because its literally an origami samurai wearing metal armor over its paper body.

edit: Although somewhat amusingly because there are so many cutting based flying moves and Celasteela flies by rocket propulsion, Kartana learns more flying moves then it.

Meanwhile because Celestella is based on a bamboo shoot and Kartana is based on paper, Celestella actually learns more grass moves of the two.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 22, 2017

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

The worst part of Smoke is there are so many crazy things real life ants do that would make awesome pokemon ideas.

There are ants that spray caustic cemicals from their abdomen, or become literal suicide bombers by combining unstable chemicals in their body.

You have ants that farm fungus or who turn there body into a living larder for the rest of the hive, filling there abdomen like a balloon until they can't even walk anymore.

You have ants that form rafts or bridges with their body's and act like the whole hive was one organism.

Considering there's only one cannon ant pokemon, it's a rich untapped design space, especially for a game set in Brazil. So far Uranium has manage to take advantage of exactly none of that.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

I have no idea how wishiwashi doesn't violate league rules about using multiple Pokemon at the same time. At least Magneton and Weezing are actually physically stuck together and don't have their extra bits run away when they get low health.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

ZeroCount posted:

Wishiwashi might be many pokemon but they are all united by the same burning soul and hunger for justice

Sadly this lead to a slippery slope that ended with a match between two Charizard duct taped to Blastoise fighting 6 Electrodes superglued onto a Klinklang, before officials finally deiced to update the Alolan League Rules.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 6, 2017

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

All this talk of cyborg dragons and no ones brought up the gen 5 pair that literaly have jet engines for tails.

Gen 4-5 were not the high point of legendary design for the series. Thankfully they seem to have gotten better lately, X/Y were passable and Sun/Moon have some of my all time favorites between the cover legendaries and the tapus.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Because it's one of the better series traditions. Your one time only get out of jail free card for catching a tricky pokemon.

For a game that clings so slavishly too all the bad traditions, not giving you a masterball just seems spiteful.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Edit: don't pocket post on your phone.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 11, 2017

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Why the gently caress does a god drat backhoe have 100 base speed, and speed boost. Your telling me a piece of construction equipment is as fast as zaptos on turn one and gets 50% faster every turn. Did they stick nitros on it or something?

Edit: Thier stupid overpowered fakemon can't even be overpowered in thematic way.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 11, 2017

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

The new hotness is keeping normal pokemon in beastballs, waisting millions of pokedollars each.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Man that lovely deviantart oc unicorn makes me want to see a new, actually well done unicorn, Pokemon. I mean we already have Rapidash and the gen 5 legendary, but I think there's still some unexplored design space. I want to see a Pokemon that's a cross between a mythological unicorn and one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolly_rhinoceros

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Insert MimikyuHiFive.gif here.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Zore posted:

Its not like thats stopped them before. Remember during the Physical/Special split where they had to create Dark Pulse because all previous Dark moves became physical?

I never understood why dark was special in the first place. I mean what part of a punch of underhanded evil monsters that like to beat up and steal from people screams special type to the designers? I mean it made by a freaking special mover for 2 gens, which is just silly.

edit: Plus there main reason for existing, balance wise, is ruining the day of psychic types, who are mostly know for having good special defense not regular defense.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 2, 2017

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Zore posted:

I mean, Ghost and Dragon are right in the same boat there. Ghost was physical and the only pre gen 4 move that stayed that way after the split was Lick.

Actually the only ghost move that became special was shadow ball (well also night shade but that doesn't count). Meanwhile astonish and shadow punch both stayed physical making the count 3 physical to one special for pre gen 4 ghost moves.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Plus steel is just a really cool idea for a type and gave them an excuse to create things like metagross the living supercomputer Pokemon down the line.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

My Dunsparce evolution is just 3 Dunsparce stuck together.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

What typing is the Titanic pokemon? Ice and ??? or Mono Ice? Now I have the idea of a ghost ship pokemon in my head as a cool thing.

Ice/Steel

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Titanice is mono-ice. It should totally be ice/steel, that'd totally make it less sad.

That will teach me not regurgitate information I half remember from briefly scanning the pokemon uranium wiki looking for stupid designs.

But honestly how is the loving titanic not a steel type. It's literally made if steel.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

HardDiskD posted:

Also, the Garlikid sidequest is the most stupid thing so far. "Hey guys, everyone likes that FPS level that takes away all the player's guns, right? :downs:"

The only good use of the 'take away all the players gear' cliche I can think of is Eventide Island in LoZ Breath of the Wild which is one of the cooler shire quests.

However unlike the Garlikid sidequest, Eventide is:
-Not story related in any way.
-Out of the way, you have to deliberately travel to a distant island in the far corner of the map.
-Doesn't take away all your upgrades, just weapons and armor.
-In a game where you're continuously collecting new weapons anyway.
-Actually Fun.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Wait, is that bear using his own tail as a snowboard?

To be fair the main games have already given us a frog using it's tongue as a scarf, and a mouse that surfs on its own tail.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Didn't the official games already have a pistol shrimp pokemon with Clawitzer? Also how does holding a gun make something a fire type? I'm beginning to think this fan game wasn't well thought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

As an American I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that I understood the cane toad reference.

• Locked thread