Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also that thing is totally the Ultimate Chimera from Mother 3.
Seriously, it's not even trying to pretend it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The real games only show ambiguous power plants or solar/wind afaik, but these are the same games that barely put thought into how non-trainers get from point A to point B without fighting off hordes of Pokemon. Realistically you would need more than geothermal/hydro/wind unless the Pokeworld uses a lot less electricity than we do(doubtful, since everything is so high-tech) or its technology makes those plants output a lot more electricity than real world ones(more plausible).

And the only time Pokemon have been used for energy is by the bad guys, like Johto Team Rocket using a bunch of Electrode for power.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Zore posted:

There's always been hosed up stuff in Pokemon and that's fine. Gen V and VII deal pretty heavily with child abuse in their main plots.

The difference between that and something like Uranium is more like tone and tact. They don't dwell on it, like Uranium does with its multiple nuclear meltdowns/dead mom, and its generally counterbalanced by other healthy relationships also existing. Something Uranium really lacks.

Also they're ultimately subplots that take a background to the player character going on an adventure.
The official games are also written so you can pick up on the serious undertones, but you can also just see it as a generic villain plot without the undertones weighing it down(which is important for keeping the writing from going too far up its own rear end in grimdark). If the Uranium guys wrote Sun/Moon, there'd be an extended subplot about how Lusamine's narcissism and emotional abuse turned her kids into shells of human beings, instead of them just being some normal kids who had a bad/crazy mom.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

rannum posted:

Special is so bizarre because it both wants to follow the games to the absolute letter but then also do its own way that doesnt really work
ORAS was the most :allears: on that front, since it had to accomidate the in-game Archie & Maxie having opposite personalities from what the manga had already had.

End result: They were floating around the Distortion World for a while, then their spirits merged and unmerged and they got spat back out into the real world with their game personalities.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 30, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
But if you have to pick one, SM is arguably the more fun game once you're past Tutorial Island(and you don't need to play XY to understand the Ultra Beast plot in SM). It innovates a lot and the difficulty curve's the best it's been since Platinum.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing that this town is the sole reason you don't get the watering can until so late. Can't have you growing your own currency (like presumably everyone else in that town does), or you could break the game by buying all the Sight Scopes and ant Pokemon you could possibly need!
The thing is you can collect berries in the jungle from trees that actually replenish over time, so it's not even that. It's just that Uranium had 0 playtesting or thought put into its design.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

KataraniSword posted:

Can't transfer Z-Crystals between games. I now am obligated by blood to never reset my copy of Pokemon Moon or else I lose that Snorlium and Mewnium forever. That just ain't kosher.
:rip: all the mega stones that are trapped in copies of XY forever.

I really wish you could put mega stones & z-crystals in Bank, since it's not like you could break the game balance by restarting for dozens of them anyway.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Not enough wings, jeans or leather, let's be real here
Or random cybernetic parts.

The average digimon requires enough random added details that Uranium is flat-out too lazy too emulate.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Vinylshadow posted:

Why imagine when it's a reality?

And the antagonists get it too:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The worst thing about that gym is that if you lose for whatever reason, you have to sit through the entire monologue alllll over again.

There's a reason leaders in the real games have maybe 4 lines at most.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

LAY-ZX posted:

They won't, the first two generations were remade because there was no backwards compatibility with those regions and the third gen was remade because it essentially lacked it as well with the removal of the GBA slot from DS's (the gen 1 games on the virtual console are to cover for the same thing happening to gen 1 a second time). Fourth gen is still perfectly accessible, they're not going to remake it.
People used to say they wouldn't remake GSC because "you can already get all the Pokemon in it using Gen 3+4 games!". Game Freak's not stupid; they know remakes print money and don't need an excuse to make more of them.

Hell, Gen 4 But It Runs As Smoothly As The New Games would be attractive enough on its own.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PoptartsNinja posted:

Would this be Pokemon Uranium with all the Edge(tm) filed off?
But then there wouldn't be any game left!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Cattail Prophet posted:

So what happens if you don't have anything in your party that can mega evolve here? Do you just get screwed out of the free stone?
IIRC you get a chance to run back and get something out of the box. It's been ages since I slogged through this though, so don't quote me on that.

Onmi posted:

It just gets me how bad the sprite work in this game is. I know it's a common problem in fan games because most fangames have the mind set of "Good Enough" and I've only met a few content creators who go "No, that's bugging the gently caress out of me, do it better." They're just so unclean.
That and I'd assume most fan game creators handle criticism as poorly as most other fanartists/writers do. "This looks fine! It's just my style! I'd like to see you do better!", etc.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I think you meant to link XY luvdisc.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Waffleman_ posted:

This game came out in 2016.
But it was in development hell for 500 years, so it's okay. Making an editing pass to make sure there wasn't stupid poo poo left over from years-old writing? Why would you do that?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ZeeToo posted:

something something goons spheal/slakoth
Go for the low hanging fruit. Go Goomny.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Coq au Nandos posted:

This game has a plot?
Something something nuclear meltdowns something dead parents something.

It turns out that ripping out the evil team formula was just one of many bad ideas in this game. It'd still be a terrible plot, but at least you might have a reason to remember what's even going on with it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tunicate posted:

Play as Gary Oak and start with an eevee?
Already been done.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Pokemon fangames: There's always more, and it's always worse.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Suddenly, Uranium remembers it has a story, and it's going to ram into us at rapid speeds!
Oh boy, I can't wait for the local power plant to explode again!

That's the plot of this game, right?

Ratoslov posted:

Zen has nothing to do with Taoism.
Like anyone involved in Uranium knows/cares about this stuff beyond "it's from Asia, right?".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
So if it can only be seen by drunk people, does that mean you're just hammered all the time when you use one on your team?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Another lesson they need is 'more is not always better'. If they'd cut out about half the fanmons and focused their efforts on making the remaining ones semi-decent, this would have been a better fangame. Same goes with the 5000 things they're trying to do with the meltdown plot - pick 2 or 3 things to focus on, and axe the rest.

Ex: Make meltdown #1 a mystery. Introduce Curie and Title Screen Mon during meltdown #2. Give them actual motivations other than :moreevil:. Axe the bullshit with Theo's dad getting hurt only not, the MC's father going missing(at least I think he did? I can't keep track of what's going on anymore), that weird sideplot area that was 100% optional, etc.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 8, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

chiasaur11 posted:

The team skull of fangame devs.
The important difference is that Team Skull is actually cool and good despite failing all the time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Seaogre posted:

I'll be honest though. The thing that really gets me is how out of place the entire concept of nuclear radiation as a major plot point feels in a Pokemon game. It's a game about magic critters, something as scifi as radiation just... doesn't match for me.

:v:

(The difference is that the sci-fi part of Mewtwo is just an excuse for more Pokémon-appropriate plots. God only knows what a Mewtwo written by Uranium's team would look like.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I've never thought about it until now, but what happens if you try to breed a Nuclear mon?

Are the offspring nuclear too, are they normal, or does the game refuse to let you try?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

get that OUT of my face posted:

So it's like gambling with no money involved? Sounds lame.
Yes, but you can collect Magikarp with cool patterns, so it's actually awesome.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

MiracleFlare posted:

our karp won't keel over just by eating a berry.
Someone never had their karp jump for the berry in the tree, I see.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
There's one going on right now!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Brother Entropy posted:

yes, i actually do demand that children's video game series not have really blatant racism/sexism
No see it's just a joke and :downswords:

Nobody'd mind if it was just the Tentacool/Graveler/Golbat horror or the light years away from Brock thing, but racist/sexist/homophobic 'jokes' are a special brand of gross.

Wrist Watch posted:

Why do people keep saying this? It's not made by Nintendo, it's a fangame that uses the pokemon system as a base. It has literally zero obligation to adhere to the same content guidelines, but everybody keeps throwing the "this is out of place for a pokemon game" card like it means something.

If you want ~the pokemon experience~ then just play pokemon instead of holding it against people for what's essentially extended fanfiction. I'm not arguing that the racism/sexism are okay, and passing on the game because of that is incredibly understandable, but there's plenty of other far worse problems or decent ideas executed poorly to complain about in these fangames without docking them points for not being accurate in tone to the official games.
People keep bringing it up because there's a dearth of fangames with the writing chops to deviate from the official games & do it well. Is it possible to write a more serious/memey/whatever Pokemon game and do it well? Yes. Has that happened yet? As far as I can tell, no.

I've personally brought it up before because it's a quick way to highlight the difference in quality. You don't have to slavishly do the exact things the real games do, but it's worth taking a look at why they do these things since there's often a good reason for it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

XavierGenisi posted:

I still don't know what the gently caress is going on with the Daft Punk pokemon though.
See, each half of the duo needed to be its own Pokémon for some reason.

That reason being "gently caress it, throw it in" seemed to be Uranium's only consistent design philosophy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Kurieg posted:

I have the feeling that you're not going to be happy with what i have to reveal.

So it has Insomnia as its ability, then?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I assume it comes from the same trend where people will just drop a nerdy reference and act like that's a joke in itself.

"Winter is coming! :roflolmao:"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

[Telard is] a combination of Terra + Lizard. But I can see why it doesn't sound that good to you. It's one of those names that stuck around since the early days when we weren't very good at naming things, like Chyinmunk and Tricwe and Gararewl. We were too sentimental to change it (and also it's everywhere in the game's code, so changing it would be a hassle).
Now I'm no programmer, but wouldn't it be easier to put the name in the code once and reference that instead of putting it in the code a bazillion times?

quote:

The quiz was inspired by Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. It's one of the ways we made the intro of the game feel different from the traditional Pokemon game... and also, it's a way to make it so that Theo always gets the starter with the type disadvantage to yours. People complained it made it harder to get the starter they wanted, so that's why we color-coded the answers and I added the Aide NPC that explains which answers to pick in order to get the starter you want.
At least that explains why the quiz is so pointless. Too hard, so just color code it and defeat the purpose. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Except Uranium doesn't have enough characters we'd give a poo poo about to fill a tournament, so we get a bunch of gym leaders(and Hokage) instead.

I'm assuming Theo will be the final battle, because of course he will.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Blue Labrador posted:

Instead of Horde Encounters gen 8 will introduce Mosh Encounters.

You can't issue commands until The Pit is cleared.
The evil team is a bunch of moral busybodies who think rock music is of the devil.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Maybe humans in the Pokemon world are just swole as gently caress.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tired Moritz posted:

Tiko always seems a bit... racist? I don't know what exactly is pinging me.
Other than the part where his entire concept is "he's a man...in a SKIRT! and also wearing earrings"?

I guess it's handled better than how, say, Clover would have done it, but it's still done in a gross "ha ha this is funny joke, please laugh, please" way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'm far from familiar with how trainers work but I was under the impression they sent the same pokemon out in the same order every time.
Assuming it works anything like the games, their first mon is fixed but after that they'll try to send stuff out to counter your active mon.

I think they just go in order if they don't have a good counter or if all their mons are equally good against yours, though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
What I'm getting from this is you should just throw a Kyogre at it.

Literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Is it possible to refuse to put Actan in your party, or are you stuck with an insta-dead lead no matter what?

Robindaybird posted:

and of course being edgelords, they completely misunderstood the context of the quote, Oppenheimer was not bragging, he was realizing the full gravity of what he unleashed and was horrified.
To be fair, I'm guessing most people who casually whip that quote out don't understand the context either. Because that quote is edgelord bait.

• Locked thread