Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krisslanza
May 6, 2011
The fact you started with STAB move at the beginning bugs me, somehow. You're meant to always start the game with like, that useless stat-debuff move and then Tackle or Scratch or something!
But let's see how bad this is going to be. Also:

quote:

You can plant berries in soil like this, consuming the berry but letting it grow into a new tree that gives more than one in return. But without a watering can there isn't much return for these. Where do we get a watering can?

In the post-game, after the final boss.

Welcome to Uranium.

Why. W H Y.
If you didn't know about this ahead of time, and thought to plant some berries "in advance" you'd just go and throw away an extremely limited resource suddenly. Does the creator just hate Berries or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Pokemon games started doing this since Gen VI.

I'm surprised there are enough dedicated fans to maintain servers for this.

I think this reveals the last time I've played Pokemon, despite really liking it :haw:
I still haven't gotten Sun or Moon...

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Zore posted:

The 'mom dying in a nuclear meltdown' thing is the only really egregious thing so far. But it gets much, much worse.

I'm sure the mom will be revealed to be alive, but turned into some kind of horrific radioactive mutant Pokemon. That you will capture in a Pokeball and use to engage in battle, naturally.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

This sort of hugbox mindset has permeated fanworks for ages, possibly longer than the internet was around to hold the negative opinions. If you're familiar with game modding at all, you likely know about the Nexus's terms of service, which amount to "speaking poorly about a mod is a bannable offense".

I never see the point in speaking poorly about someone's mods anyway. Reminds me anytime I check Total War mods, and if there's a single mod that adds female soldiers to it, the comments are pages and pages long of people saying "Your mod is stupid and ahistorical, remove this crap".

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

There is a difference between "your product is bad and you should feel bad" and "I have problems with this" or even "there are technical flaws with this that could be fixed to improve performance" but in these situations all three are perfectly equivalent with regards to reaction.

Aah. Yeah, okay thats a bit different. The first one is what I figured Nexus doesn't want to see, where as the other two are valid.
I guess some people can't even handle constructive criticism at all.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

Pokemon's always had some dark undertones just below the surface, between messed-up Pokedex entries and some of the sadder NPC chatter, and the last couple of gens have leaned a bit harder into it (Sun and Moon has some legit disturbing moments, in fact, by way of existential dread). But Game Freak makes it work because they're good at writing, and know how to make those dark moments gel with the more upbeat core of the franchise. Also I guess it's not really edgy, so much as it's just dark. The sort of "dark and edgy" it looks like Uranium is going for, based on that first cutscene, is closer to the juvenile, superficial kind that we all know from such gems as Shadow the Hedgehog, which I agree should be nowhere near a Pokemon game. Or any game.

You mean those casual Pokedex entries of Driftloon just kidnapping children and killing them?

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
You know, I kind of like the "Last Pokemon" music change and dialogue, but my issue with it in every Pokemon game has typically been - because of the way I play of rarely ever changing Pokemon - I'm one or twoshotting most anyone I fight. Which kind of gets rid of that feeling of ending a climatic showdown, when I just hit it once and it keels over anyway.

Also am I the only person who actually liked HMs?

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

LAY-ZX posted:

Yes because nobody should actually like covering their Pokemon in awful moves that you can't get rid of just so you can progress through the game, especially now that SuMo has proven that there are perfectly viable means of getting past those obstacles without doing that. And don't bring up Surf and Waterfall, just because they're actually good attacks doesn't mean they excuse HMs as a concept.

e: Also Orange Fluffy Brother should definitely be allowed to continue giving things awful names

The other 5 Pokemon in my party are all filler anyway, I just roll with my starter usually and ends up being nearly level 99 by the E4 :haw:
This is probably why I didn't mind HM moves since I didn't really USE a lot of the Pokemon I caught...
(I'm probably playing Pokemon wrong)

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Unknown Quantity posted:

It'd be way too much effort to implement, but I kinda wish you could handle any gym in any order, assuming you can reach it and get through the wild Pokemon. The idea of that being that each gym leader has multiple sets of pokemon based on how many badges their challenger has. Granted that would mean giving every single gym leader (except maybe one or two tied behind plot) eight different sets of Pokemon at varying levels and total numbers of Pokemon. Of course, the fact that these save-the-world plots have to take center stage now and turn the League run and Pokedex run into minor objectives at best makes this even more unfeasible.

From what I recall of the Pokemon manga, this is actually canonically how gym leaders work as well.
Although as mentioned, the bigger issue with the idea is all the wild Pokemon and trainers in those areas would also have to be level adjusted, which is a bit of an issue. Because who wants like, dynamic-style level scaling like Oblivion in a Pokemon game?

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Clearly they should make it like New Vegas, where you'll get your poo poo kicked in if you take the wrong turn off Route 1 :v:

So you mean the Cazadors, right?

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

There is a built-in Nuzlocke mode in this game. You can render your game into an unwinnable state by failing a personality test five minutes in.

You know, the fact it has a built-in Nuzlocke mode, they should've made it so the mode went both ways. You're killing everyone else's Pokemon too. Then Theo has a reason to cry. :colbert:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Ace of Aces posted:

RE: Metroid Prime

Right, I forgot those are black sheep in Japan for some reason. I wasn't fond of Echoes but MP1 was great.

I'm not sure if its a black sheep for Japan itself, so much as for the series' creator.
Which given how he decides Samus has to act like a four year old girl upon seeing Ridley for the dozenth time in Other M, and THAT is official canon, probably says a lot about what he seems to think of Samus.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Jack Anderson posted:

People love to talk up Gen 1 pokemon as being the best but yeah most of them were lazy.

I mean, one design was literally just a DUCK with a LEEK.

Farfetch'd is amazing :colbert:
He uses his leek like a sword!

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Zore posted:

Porygon isn't even the only man-made pokemon. Castform, Type:Null/Silvally,... and that doesn't even count things like Genesect which was heavily modified, or Voltorb which is literally a pokeball that spontaneously gained life.

Don't forget Mewtwo. Literally a man-made super Pokemon.

Aerdan posted:

Well...they're all still based on human byproducts.

Porygon could date from the 70s at the earliest. I'd estimate that the Pokémon universe's tech level is a few decades ahead of our own, given that they have things like an effective universal cure for venoms and toxins, as well as devices that instantly restore Pokémon to top condition. As such, it could be argued that porygon is also blurring the lines between manmade and natural. :v:

Don't forget they have awesome video phones that go, "Ring ring ring ring, phone call, phone call!" :v:
That and the ability to instantly transport objects over long distances.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They aren't or I would've shot myself.

Or play the game to completion, as it were.

I would've just gone and made Master Balls buyable like the Rare Candies at that point.
Everyone gets to live in the most swag and plush ball.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

man, that battle music was a hot mess. just like the rest of this game, I suppose.

what's the point of the nuclear pokemon? I can't imagine using a pokemon that just straight-up ignores you sometimes because gently caress you.

I imagine you get someway to ignore that later in the game, probably part of a plot point.
Dick Solomon being infected by radiation will give him the superpower to control Nuclear Pokemon!

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Doubly ugly since they should be glowing blue with Cherenkov radiation. Uranium and uranium glass fluoresce bright green under a blacklight but that's the trick: that's under a blacklight and has nothing at all to do with radioactivity.

If you ever see green lights in a nuclear power plant you're probably fine. If you ever see blue, run (but it's probably already too late).

To be honest, I'm a bit willing to cut them slack there if only because every media representation of radioactivity has always been green.
I never knew its meant to be blue.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Color Printer posted:

look, i caught him, i got the badges, he'll do what i loving want :colbert:

So sayeth the blood contract engraved upon the badges.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

if you were like me your other pokemon were only there so you could use revives when your starter inevitably dies

Pretty much how I played too.
I mean, I still caught all the Pokemon. But since my starter was my first, and already the highest level... I just figured, why not keep using him?
Sure, I could have a like, fully kitted out, balanced team...
Or just one really buff Pokemon that can oneshot basically anything even with type disadvantage for anything in the normal game. It just seemed more time efficient.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Tunicate posted:

That and I imagine pokeverse probably has issues with pissed off pokemon the moment you build a dam and start flooding a lake for hydroelectric generation. Even odds that all these meltdowns are being caused by a legendary pokemon.

That was literally a plot point in the first season of the anime, with the Pokemon attacking a dam because it was going to flood their home.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Randalor posted:

The Hyrule: Total War is rather impressive, if for no other reason the person behind it was deranged enough to somehow weave entire factions out of creatures and enemies that you only see one type of in games (Darknuts have an entire faction. With multiple units. FAIRIES have an army.)

And as for men wearing skirts... nothing wrong with a man wearing a skirt. I'm guessing the people who made this game have never seen a scotsman before? Or The Scotsman?

Hyrule Total War is actually pretty cool, even if its insane and crazy in hindsight. But at least they could do things with Majora, who is the like, coolest villain in the series and we'll never get to know more about him.

Also the berry shop thing? That's actually a pretty neat idea. If only berries weren't, you know, locked behind post-game to actually grow...

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Goddamn, now I realized I could've replaced all the music with this.

Probably a better game then Uranium.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Try linking to a video that's actually avaliable then!

To add to the Ho/Mizukage thing, the ninjas named after the ninja ranks in Naruto are named wrong, "Juunin" should be "Jonin", so the person behind that couldn't even get that right.

Also why do you fight the ranks in reverse order? Jonin are one of the best, then you fight Chuunin who are basically foot soldiers, and then Genin, basically freshly graduated shmucks? And the Hokage is protected by GENIN?

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
I'll give some points to Uranium in, at least, the theater and stuff I think was modelled after Greek and Shakespeare-era play stuff? Where even the women roles were played by men so... I guess it's... something.
Even if it seems like a really odd info dump for a Gym Leader to give you before you fight her, and you never really bothered to ask.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
So, wait, a huge massive plot dump - of some actual significance - is entirely optional, and as a result, has no actual impact on the rest of the game?
Why.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Gologle posted:

So basically Garlikid is the hero of love and justice Caped Baldy?

Only if he can defeat every foe in one punch :colbert:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
But why would they make a Move Tutor that only teaches biting moves, instead of just making (or having more) normal Move Tutors who can just teach everything applicable.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
What the heck kind of clothes store did Theo shop at?!
Also I think calling him "Friend", is a stretch :colbert:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Chekov's Armory; Consisting Primarily of Poorly Thought Out Plot Points

One of these Plot Points which is so important, it's entirely optional, and changes absolutely nothing for getting it! :v:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
As bad as this is looking to be, after looking up TVTropes on Pokemon Reborn, Uranium still sounds a lot better then that one.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Monster Hunter still does it better than it's clones, because all the clones love doing the edgy grimdark fangame route where there's ~Real Death~ and everybody's got to struggle to survive in this hellish world where monsters roam the earth

Whereas in comparison Monster Hunter's basically just like the real world except wild animals are 2-10 times their normal size. Sometimes they get a bit too cocky and need to get driven off or taken out but it's way more lighthearted, the monsters have way more character than any of its clones manage to have, and it's better off for it.

Honestly, thats been why I think Toukiden and God Eater do it better. I can never take Monster Hunter seriously, because its like the Pokemon effect. People talk about how dangerous or powerful such and such is, but then a single nobody Hunter will completely cream it.
Meanwhile a full party of four G-rank equipped Ace Hunters, the best of the best, completely fail to take on a Low Rank Gore Magala. So then the absolute nobody in Low Rank gear, will solo it with ease and then slay dozens of them to make stuff from its body. At least the other Slayers (Toukiden) or God Eaters all are capable of doing their jobs with a pretty good success rate.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

If you're going to nitpick something like that, be fair about it. It's four experienced hunters getting routed by a pre-elder dragon that no one had any information on or had tried to engage before, which spreads spores in the air that weaken anyone in the area trying to fight it and drives other monsters into a berserk frenzy. You only take it on yourself much later after learning about the frenzy virus and dealing with other infected monsters.

It's perfectly in line with the the way the rest of the game works. Humans don't beat the monsters through overwhelming strength, they win through perseverance, planning, and experience. It's a perfectly serious tone when it needs to be without having to take the "real death, real consequences" route that every single MH clone does.

Eeeeh, maybe. But the thing is, they're still four Hunters in G-Rank Armor. Even slaying a single G-Rank 'drome is more challenging then a Low Rank Gore Magala, even with its Frenzy mechanics.
If they had made the Ace Hunters just another party of normal Hunters like yourself, I'd cut them some slack. But since they're Hunters who already have G-Rank privilege and are using equipment made from said G-Rank Wyverns and 'dromes, the fact they can't handle a Gore Magala 4 on 1, when you do it 1 on 1 in vastly worse equipment just doesn't make any sense at all.

I kind of like Monster Hunter trying to have some level of story to it, I just wish they could make it feel less... silly and awkward still.

But really, I also just like Toukiden and God Eater more for the gameplay as well. The fact you have fairly competent NPC allies also makes the fights less tedious and boring for me.
That and they don't have arbitrary "you need 10 of this and 8 of this thing, then 4 of this" for crafting. Both Toukiden and God Eater both do the like 2 max of a material for making things, so you don't have to keep hunting the same thing a dozen times.

But I guess this isn't really related to Uranium anymore :v:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Have... you just never experienced any fictional stories before? The protagonists being better than everyone else is kind of A Thing in fiction you know.

Well, yeah. But the Ace Hunters are always played up as being better then you, and even when you do their job for them, you still have to jump through all the other hoops to get High Rank and G-Rank. Even though you proved you're already better then four elite G-Rank Hunters by killing a little measly Low Rank Gore Magala.

Zerilan posted:

God Eater like practically starts with a hunter being instagibbed by the most basic lovely monster that hits you for barely no damage. I don't think it's really any better in that regard.

To be fair, Eric isn't some kind of elite, ace God Eater or anything. He joined Fenrir about 3 years prior to the protagonist, but he's only a Master Sergeant rank after his post-death promotion. He's been around for a few years, but he's still a pretty up and coming God Eater, unlike MH's Ace Hunters who have years of experience and equipment that is far and away superior to anything you'll have until post-game.

EDIT:
Also Eric's death is played up a lot better in the anime.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Bydoless posted:

So I guess here's a draft of the intro post for the Pokemon Reborn LP.

The current draft right now is meant for an individual thread for the LP. DONGS here will be replaced in the following update by whatever the thread votes for.

When we reach the end of the then-current "episode" for Pokemon Reborn, I'll probably follow up with Pokemon Rejuvenation in the same thread since Pokemon Reborn is unfinished and Rejuvenation is directly inspired by it.

This will also be posted in the LP Sandcastle thread, and in fact I'd recommend posting there instead of here in response to this test post for reasons.

Do it.
And god Reborn's "badge" system is just that 'great' thing of, "Well, we don't want people to overlevel if they want too, so gently caress 'em, lets put in MANDATORY, ENFORCED level caps basically!". Can't have a 'hardcore, difficult, authentic' experience without artificial difficulty to make it hard.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm just baffled that you have eight loving gym badges and you still don't have Fly. :psyduck: Just... what kind of hoops does Uranium expect you to jump through for such a basic convenience feature?

Wait... maybe I don't want to know the answer to that.

I mean this is the same devs who thought, "Let's lock any berry growing BEHIND THE POST-GAME! :v: "

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Bogart posted:

In the episode where Ash and pals are on the SS Anne and James gets a Magikarp, he thinks he can use it as a meal even if it is worthless. Meowth rebuts him with the 'scales and bones' comment. first season is canon imo :colbert:

Yeah James bites into it and his teeth just break :colbert:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

RyuHimora posted:

Instead of, y'know, the reason why there are so many problems.

e: They are literally saying Nintendo gave the C&D because they thought Uranium was stealing sales from Sun and Moon :ughh:

To be fair, listening to it now, its more of the guy making the video believing this, never did the "new" developers suggest any of that in their own little thing.
Also I still chuckle a bit and how these new guys basically admit they just cracked Uranium open and started developing it on their own. I guess that's... a thing.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

rip Theo. Hey, the Hazmat suit battle sprite looks kinda good.

Hazma pokemon is dumb but cute-ish.

The only issue I have with it is, I think in this 'story' all this nuclear radiation issues is a very recent problem, right?
How did some Pokemon suddenly exist that can eat and cleanse radiation, if its only been a problem within the past like, 3 days. :psyduck:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Schubalts posted:

To be fair, radiation has been a problem since that power plant blew Ranger Ninja Good Human Hokage Dick Solomon's mom up like 10 years ago, and this game plays faster and looser with science than even official Pokémon games.

You know, I completely forgot about that part. :v:
Okay so it actually does kind of make sense. You'd think the Rangers would be a bit more pleased with this discovery, given all the nuclear fallout these saps are going to be dealing with for the next few generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
You know, that fight against CURIE just kind of reminds me of why having some kind of 'dramatic showdown' is really awkward in Pokemon. Because, usually, you're aiming to just OHKO everyone and it isn't usually too hard to do that (unless you artificially make it difficult somehow). It's hard to have a kind of dramatic showdown like you expect in a show, when the entire fight is decided by just one-shotting the entire enemy team.

• Locked thread