Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Gridlocked posted:

I really REALLY need to finish X/Y.

It includes my new favorite pokemon even! (after snorlax)

Love you Sword-looking-pokemon.

I get the impression that Steel's resistance to Ghost and Dark were removed specifically so the Honedge line wouldn't be completely overpowered. If its only weaknesses were Fire and Ground, Aegislash would be pretty devastating, I'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
So that coconut crab is basically what happens when a Dwebble can't find a rock to use, and the sand castle snail is almost literally the same Pokemon as Shellos. The backhoe dragon is the only design I've seen that isn't either mediocre or a minor variation on an existing Pokemon design (or both).

By the way, not to keep referencing it, but the Quartz LP had a Pokemon nicknamed "Deez Nuts" as well. I find the continuity between bad Pokemon fangames very enjoyable.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bullshit subtypes for Steel and Dragon are why I always endeavor to have at least one move of every type present on my team (I even managed it the past two gens, though both required some creativity to cover some gaps*). Bronzong was always the worst, you never knew if you'd need Fire or Ground until after you'd wasted a turn. I'd honestly say Steel/Psychic is worse than Steel/Dragon, but it might just be that Metagross and Bronzong are just massive pains in the rear end.

*In Gen VII, Silvally's diverse TM compatibility fixed me right up, and in Gen VI, my Charizard's Hidden Power type was, conveniently, Ice, the one type I lacked.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

krisslanza posted:

I would've just gone and made Master Balls buyable like the Rare Candies at that point.
Everyone gets to live in the most swag and plush ball.

Pretty sure that's the Luxury Ball, the Master Ball's just the one with the best locks.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Holy crap, that just pushed it from "stupid yet awesome" to just plain awesome.

Where the hell was this when I was a kid?!

Working for Dr. Robotnik, I believe. Am I the only person who thinks that design is less "Pokemon" and more "Badnik from Sonic the Hedgehog"? For all I know, something like it really did appear in, like, Sonic Advance or Rush or something, it'd be right at home in a construction site-themed zone.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

First of all, big thanks for referencing OFF, a spectacular RPG Maker game everyone should play frickin' yesterday. Also the crab evolves into a crab-themed ripoff of Torterra (visually) because of course it does. Also they make Corsola a Corgi, because why not. I bet they even think the original Corsola was named for Corgis, that's how dumb they had to have been to make some of these designs.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

CANCEL THE WORLD TOUR SOMETHING HAS HAPPENED

"Alvin? Alvin?! AAAAAAAALVIIIIIIIIIIIIN!"

Except David is:

A) Weeping brokenly in horror moments before being consumed by the monster that was once his adopted son.

-OR-

B) On the other end of an MGS codec.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Between the not Shadow Pokemon and the prominence of Pokemon Rangers, the creators seem to have a real boner for the B and C list spinoffs.

I eagerly await the scene where we meet a team of intrepid dungeon-crawling Pokemon except their last dungeon got bathed in radiation and now they're nuclear mutants, like, some Parasite Eve poo poo. Or a Pokemon photographer complaining that radiation ruined his film before hopping in his weird circular buggy and driving off.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

And even though she's become a victim of everything she fought to destroy, you must work together using her power to defeat Driscoll in the name of Karen and the Canyon Crows!

...wait.

Great, now I want Squeenix and Nintendo to make a FrontMission Pokemon game where all the Wanzers are based on Pokemon, retaining the mix-and-match aspects of building your robots.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Here's an article about water's ability to absorb radiation, turns out it's remarkably efficient at doing so. It's also why if you forget your sunblock when you go swimming, you're somewhat less likely to get sunburnt if you spend most of your time in the water rather than basking in the sunlight (but still, you should always try to have sunblock).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Congratulations!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay, so.

Linkite is the ghost of a Pokemon that died in its Pokeball and since it doesn't know what it looked like, it takes the form of a Substitute.

So it's chained to the Pokeball because... why? Given the general look of the chain and the background of the Pokemon, I'm guessing it's a reference to Bleach (the anime, though the liquid's fumes could have played a critical role in designing Linkite, as well), because the people doing the designs for Uranium are apparently edgelords from ten years ago, and it's going to evolve into a knock-off of a Hollow later.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Yes. It's on their Wiki.

It also evolves when traded into a literal angry spirit of vengeance that wants to rage out against the person who let it die and looks like black goop flooding out of the orifices of the substitute doll.

So, my theory that Linkite is based on Bleach, an anime that was cool-ish for about twenty minutes a decade ago and has long since fallen into the usual long-running anime trap of "spinning its wheels for years on end while the author thinks of something to do with the plot" was completely spot-on (even on the off-chance it was just a coincidence, it's hard not to notice some similarities), thanks for clarifying.

EDIT: A small correction, I just checked and it turns out Bleach was cancelled last year and hasn't been an anime since 2012.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 20, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think the dex really needs to spell out it why it looks like a substitute but it's still a pretty interesting idea. One of the better pokemon concepts from this game.

The core idea has legs, but, how does it remember what a substitute doll looks like when it doesn't remember what its own Pokemon species looked like? It may not have even known Substitute.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I'm in the first percentile of rattata! :v:

Yeah, let's be fair, the Rattata would be in the top percentile, if you assume a descending list. Joey didn't lie, he just massaged the data!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Also, it learns Fly :hellyeah:

He's one of my favorite Ghosts, but it's too bad Golurk can't learn Drill Run. :kamina:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Aesclepia posted:

This thing is adorable and I love it. Little ghost/flask thing? Hell yeah! I'd name mine Marie Curie.

Scarie Curie.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Also he's named after Guns 'n' Roses's guitarist. I dunno, it needs three or four more references.

At this rate, I'd bet he's actually just named after the Chrono Trigger character, the designer doesn't know what Guns 'n' Roses is because it's not an anime (and he doesn't watch JJBA because there's no panty shots so he never saw the musical references there), and it's just a coincidence that it's a guitarist. Also he thinks playing the LoZ theme is the highest possible purpose of the guitar. That is the opinion I have of the developer after that loving update. I didn't think I could go from mildly disdaining to outright hating a game in a single LP update but there you go.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Added Space posted:

I'm going to say that a creative project is not an appropriate place for a political fight.

Given that creative projects are inherently political by their nature of being created by humans (and thus influenced by their culture, background, beliefs, and opinions AKA politics), I'd be curious to know what is the appropriate place to call out a racist shithead if not your own creative team.

That sort of head-in-the-sand thinking is how poo poo like this gets into the final product:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think theres a diff. between political leanings and a dude saying apropos of nothing that rape is a good thing so long as you feed the bitch some money afterwards, but cool hot take there

At least somebody gets it. You can't call someone out for their lovely opinions if they keep their drat mouths shut about them.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Gilgamesh255 posted:

I forget how well I did with Lurantis, but I'm pretty sure I did alright seeing as I had a Torracat with me. Mimikyu, however, was pretty much the first fight I had in the entire game that totally wiped my party out, mainly because of it being faster than any of my party, and plus I had wasted an Inferno Overdrive on it...while it still had it's disguise up. :ughh:

I also wasted my Z-Move on Totem Mimikyu's disguise, it was a very embarrassing moment for me. :negative:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

or 'a neanderthal'

I'd play the gently caress out of "Ancino Man, but also Pokemon".

EDIT: I love how many attempts were made at "Teacup Eel".

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

dungeon cousin posted:

Y'know, I feel something as slender and nimble looking as Inflagetah shouldn't be able to learn Earthquake.

It's not Earthquake, it's a move being compared to Earthquake because it's so powerful, and then adding that it has Extremespeed priority.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

Thanks a lot, now I have "diglet DIG, diglet DIG, TRIO TRIO TRIO" stuck in my head all over again.

Count yourself lucky if it hasn't been stuck in your head for every single day of the past twenty years.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Spatula City posted:

I think Sun and Moon kinda showed how Pokemon COULD be dark while still being itself. I feel like if you really wanted to make Pokemon dark, you'd have to do stupid stuff like this:
You have to make payments on a health insurance policy in order to use the Pokemon centers
Certain Pokemon are hunted to near extinction based on unfounded rumors about how their horns increase fertility
the protagonist's father is not present because they left for another woman, and you meet him and his new family later. He does not admit any fault or apologize.
There's a new status condition: depression. It's kind of like attraction, except more prolonged, and it also lowers speed and both defenses. It lingers after battle. there are no items to cure it.

Pokemon: The Painful

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

there's no likable characters in uranium. all of them are assholes.

this game really made me appreciate the Haus and the Tiernos.

Hau and Tierno are very good actually. :catbert:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Edit: I don't count the gen III rival as a friend, because they are the worst rival.

Though counting fangames LPed here, J. Akira and Theo both manage to make Brendan/May look decent. Better a cipher than a creep or whiny brat.

Tunicate posted:

Sounds like Battle Network to me.

Huh, yeah, it kinda does, now that you mention it. Or any kid-centric anime or game based on it, really. Yu-Gi-Oh, Medabots, etc., all the friends are just orbiting the protagonist like a fan club. Maybe that's just how the protagonists see them due to rampant narcissism, and in reality they actually have other stuff going on.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

loquacius posted:

Still has to make its way past NoA, unfortunately, and Soda Power doesn't have the same sort of zing to it

Somebody hasn't been watching One Piece.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Really? Which one, cause I don't remember any.

The thing where the doomsday device used in the backstory of X/Y split Pokemon into multiple timelines, leading to Delta Episode and setting the stage for the Ultra Beasts.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

dungeon cousin posted:

It didn't split timelines. In one universe the Kalos war lead to AZ creating his ultimate weapon and in the other the war never happened.

Oh, I must be misremembering a little. But, anyway, I'm pretty sure Ace was referring to the multiple universe subplot.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sociopastry posted:

Also the SuMo starters are really good

In fairness, X/Y had pretty excellent starters, too. They've been on-point with starters lately.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

I wasn't aware that Nintendo had hired Haruki Murakami to write their Pokemon games.

I'm waiting for the Pokemon game written by Taro Yoko.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Spatula City posted:

I don't like the alternate universes thing. past a certain point they didn't bother having a coherent world, and trying now to explain away the inconsistencies seems weird.

why bother with parallel universes if you're just going to use them to explain retcons that don't need to be explained?

There's only two confirmed universes, the one with the original gens 1-5, then the one with the remakes and Gens 6 and 7 (the "third version" games appear to have been the "canon" versions). I mean, I can't say I ever needed a consistent Pokemon timeline, but at least they're using it to take the story in interesting directions, between Looker and Anabel, the Ultra Beasts, the world-hopping in the SuMo postgame, and so on.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Flame Wheel?

IMO I don't get why rock resits fire, but Ice and Rock are weak to fighting. Punching ice and rocks hurts, a lot! But the idea seems to be martial artists break rocks with their hands. But if they're going with extreme examples, intense heat makes rocks into lava!

Also, I've always found it weird how bad Ice is on defences. You think it'd be resistant to...well something other then itself.

The Fighting-type is explicitly martial arts-based, so yes, the idea with it being super effective against the "hard" types (Ice, Rock, and Steel) is that really skilled martial artists can break hard stuff with their fists or whatever. And that's not an extreme example in terms of fiction, that's basically the bare minimum to qualify as an anime protagonist, nor in terms of the game, where every move is some sort of martial arts move or a Kamehameha. Fire, on the other hand, only has a couple moves that involve lava. Now, funny thing, while metal is usually harder to melt than rocks, their popular depictions are generally the other way around. Metal is much more frequently shown being melted down, welded, or otherwise adversely affected by heat, while rocks are often shown serving as the sides of a fire pit, smothering fires, absorbing heat for various purposes, and so on. That's why Steel is weak to Fire while Rock resists it.

Most type matchups make a sort of sense if you're willing to engage in some abstract thinking based more on fictional depictions and TV logic than reality. The ones that don't make a ton of sense to me are, first, why is Flying super effective against Fighting? I get the resistance (as silly as the "it's hard to punch a bird" logic sounds, it makes sense), but the weakness feels like an artifact of Fighting having once been some sort of "beast" type back when "Flying" was still "Bird" and all the types were going to be animals. The same goes somewhat for the mutual resistance between Bug and Fighting. I mean, there's a sort of logic to it (bugs are too weak to harm True Warriors, and when you try to squish certain beetles/roaches, they'll somehow be unharmed from the hit due to their shells), but it's a lot more flimsy than other matchups.

As for your assessment of Ice, I agree. It should resist Flying like Rock and Steel do, at least, and I'd even say it should resist Grass, as part of the "ice makes plants wither" logic.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Justice Sloth posted:

I think the poorest justification is Ground vs Poison, like what, you can't be poisoned if you're underground? Subterranean animals are resistant to venomous ones? Steel makes sense because steel types are typically either heavily armored or inorganic. With psychic I suppose you can argue "mind over matter" like meditating away an illness or something. But what, sand negates grime now?

I think it's more that dirt can be used to cover or absorb contact poisons, making an area safe. Also, you can use mud to treat poison ivy and poison oak.

By the way, as soon as I saw the nickname for that fish, I knew it had to be a Daikatana pun, but I wasn't actually expecting it to be Daikatuna because I figured the writer wasn't that clever. I was gonna post it myself. But then it turned out I'd underestimated the guy, so, credit where it's due, well done.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

daikatana isn't something john romero made up. it just means 'big sword.' the more preferred term for that is nodachi, but there's some historical texts that just say 'dai katana' for the same type of blade.

They both use the same kanji, it's that "daikatana" is an incorrect reading of those kanji in that linguistic context. That is, it's poor kanjigation. :buddy:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

ya know, fan-games have a good position to get rid of terrible mechanics, and while i understand why you might keep in 1% encounters or bad moves i can't for the life of me understand keeping trade evos

it's not just cause they're only in there to give incentive to buy two versions, it's also that you have to set up the netcode to be able to do them and that just seems like a hassle

Pretty sure it's there in the official games as an incentive to have friends. The entire Pokemon franchise has been full of attempts to make the players finally go out and socialize. Exclusive Pokemon and trade evos, that IR Mystery Gift thing from Gen II, the Poke-Walker, then Pokemon GO! shows up and is just like "gently caress you, you need to go outside to play this at all and if you want items you better get ready to run into other human beings at Poke Stops".

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, this missing the three black pixels on the left side of the hat still bugs me.

Gonna be honest, I have no idea where that pixel went, I nabbed the source, and it was like that, and I never noticed.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

So what if a Ditto turns into a Linkite, and is then Copied by Uranium's Ditto clone, who is then captured by a trainer...that's at least three separate poké balls it'll have to come out of once it's called into battle and I have no idea where I was going with that

Um, actually, Pokemon with Transform revert back to their normal form when called back into their Poke Balls.
:goonsay:

But for real, how does Linkite work? It's been asked before, but I still want to know, does the ball it's attached to get captured with it, does it get bound to the new ball, does its previous ball somehow just convert over? If this were an official game, by the way, I could maybe see an oddball gimmick Pokemon that somehow incorporates its own Poke Ball into its design and such, but it would have different forms based on what you caught it with, and maybe wild ones would have, like, a rock or something as a stand-in. They'd do something with the idea, essentially.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

that isn't what a shogun is

Maybe he meant Sho Nuff. His guys seem pretty ninja-y.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Sun and Moon gave it the 30% 20% power boost that the other type changing abilities have, so it's pretty much a different version of those now. It's still a pretty terrible ability.

It also debuted in Gen IV, to harp on a small detail.

• Locked thread