Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Once again I ask you, why are you doing this to yourself?

Though I am curious on how deep the poor design rabbit hole goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So what you're saying is adopt Uranium's brooding dark colors and garishly bright greens?

This shouldn't work, but for some reason it does. Stick with that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't really get that complaint, why is it bad that you don't have to have a 18x18 chart of type relations memorized? Why are QOL features equated with difficulty? The game doesn't even tell you if a move is good against a Pokemon or not until after you've encountered it once. Are Mega Man games after the NES era easier because you can quick switch between weapons with L and R buttons?

In multiplayer, you're told about the effectiveness of your moves even if you haven't encountered the Pokemon before. But considering that now it's possible to encounter Pokemon that is normally completely impossible to encounter in game, it's fairly justified. Also, you would have to consider the possibility of the opponent switching out their mon. So yeah, the effectiveness indicator is a minor convenience instead of some massive game changer.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

krisslanza posted:

The fact you started with STAB move at the beginning bugs me, somehow. You're meant to always start the game with like, that useless stat-debuff move and then Tackle or Scratch or something!

The Pokemon games started doing this since Gen VI.

I'm surprised there are enough dedicated fans to maintain servers for this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wait, did Uranium flat out make it so that the trees can't grow without water? In the Pokemon games, the trees still grew. You just couldn't get as many berries without watering them.

It's still dumb because there's no good reason to restrict that item to the post-game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

I could be wrong, but i'm guessing this is best exemplified by Fairy. I'd really love a reasonable explanation for how they came up with what it resists and what it's super-effective against. As opposed to, "Well, they're three types that only have 2 weaknesses each, so let's just go with those three," which seems to be the reasoning. Weak to Fire, Poison and Steel, and Strong against Dark, Fighting, and Dragon, seems like such a random assortment of typings.

This is sounding less like a normal Pokemon adventure game, and more a game that just happens to involve Pokemon.

Fairy was partially implemented for gameplay purposes. Specifically, it was put in to nerf a few types getting out of hand at the time. And buffing up not so great types in the process.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Trick Question posted:

You know, I actually like the idea of a pokemon game where certain areas are loving nasty and you've got to prepare with the right tools and/or pokemon before tackling them or you're gonna hurt, like with this cave and the steel-type guy. I like the idea of specifically searching for a pokemon that deals with the specific challenges of an area instead of just using whatever, at least in a side-game or a harder difficulty mode or a fan game. It would probably work better in a game without levels, or a game where the levels are less important, though.

I remember a game which was kind of like pokemon with robots that did stuff sort of like that. Robopon?

I'm sure this game is bad and we've already seen some bad stuff, but I actually like this specific idea, assuming it was intentional. Maybe we'll see more like it?

Game Freak already kind of does this, in which case they can provide something to make an upcoming important battle easier, (Either a Pokemon, a TM, or something else). The difference is, it's not mandatory to use them, and if you want to stick with the team you have, or don't want to use that particular mon, you don't have to. You'll get a slight spike in difficulty, but not like a sheer cliff. It's part of the appeal of the games.

HMs do clash with that, but they threw all those out the window in Sun and Moon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

However I hit Save instead of Save As so that's now Birbie's front sprite.

This is an improvement.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

The battle maison/battle tree/battle subway AI seems pretty good with the specialty sets designed by gamefreak. Would it be too hard to just distribute the useful postgame sets to trainers out in the wild?

The AI for those is actually incredibly basic, since programming individual ones for the hundreds of movesets would be a daunting task. It pretty much prioritizes a status move if it has one, uses a super effective move if it has one, and just goes with its strongest option if there's nothing else it can choose from. It doesn't even try to predict or remember that you have a Pokemon immune to a certain type, like some of the trainers in the main game are capable of doing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

On the other hand, the removal of HMs meant that they had to introduce way more NPC roadblocks to railroad you instead, so it's up to you if HMs were preferable to that or not.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It does feel like in some cases a Pokemon should have more than 2 types, but due to technical and design limitations, that can't happen. Of course at this point, rebalancing and reprogramming the game to account for more than 2 types on a Pokemon would be an utter nightmare.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I never really saw the appeal of type-changing abilities like Protean. Can someone explain it to me, preferably in small words?

When the user is the same type as the move they chose, it gets a 1.5x damage boost. Protean activates before you make your move. Meaning that you have 4 different moves you will always have a damage boost on. Not only that, since it changes your type, it can be used defensively to gain a resistance or an immunity to an incoming move. It makes it very hard for your opponent to read the situation.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Heaven Spacey posted:

Oh, I forgot, one of the best details about Absolute Virtue was that he was the last boss in a huge chain of bosses, most of which required an alliance of 8-12 of players to deal with, and the final one usually needing a full alliance of 18 players. You farmed items and converted them into a token used to summon the first three bosses, then those three dropped tokens for the next three, then the three from those were used to spawn the final one.

Absolute Virtue had a 50% chance of spawning immediately after you killed the final boss in the chain. In other words, any time you wanted to fight AV, you had to spend hours upon hours farming your way up to the last boss in the chain, and then win a coin toss. This was another reason why no one ever figured out how the gently caress to kill him; you needed dozens of players ready to go fight a boss that was just as likely to not spawn for no reason whatsoever.

:psyduck: Did the people who make the game hate humanity or something?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ace of Aces posted:

What spinoff was this?

Metroid Prime. Sakamoto doesn't exactly consider it canon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Reminder that the normal Pokedex entries are implicitly written in-universe by actual children. They're intentional games of ridiculous one-upsmanship hence why things like that or Slugma being hotter than the surface of the Sun are listed.

If this was implied before, it got thrown out completely in Sun and Moon. A few NPCs treat it as a reliable resource.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Flame Body, which is 30% burn on contact.

You think they would have given the grass starter Effect Spore to complete the theme, at the very least. Not that these abilities are a good idea for any starter to have as a regular ability.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

I only played the original Red/Blue (and didn't have the patience to get past my first Zubat in either of those), but didn't the starters in those only have their basic tackle/scratch moves at the beginning as well?

Yes, this was the case for all starters until the release of X and Y, which gave them a move that was the same type as them.

Of course in Uranium, they gave the Water and Fire starters those moves, but didn't bother giving the Grass starter such a move for some reason. Which led to the issue in OFS' latest update.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 9, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

:agreed: they could have at least expended poke'rest of the planet before they moved into Sun/Moons extradimensional pokemon poo poo.

Doduo post. My bad.

The weird part is, they didn't even do much with that theme. Only one of those Pokemon were remotely relevant in Sun and Moon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Game Freak has been careful not to step on anyone's toes since stuff like the Game Corner became illegal in Europe. It's also a gigantic brand name so they would have to be very careful not to tarnish it with stuff like racism. (If there was stuff like that, I would imagine the localizers would catch that at the very least.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

But those aren't two abilities that do the same thing, except one of them more consistently.

A better example would be Gen V Reuniclus. It had one ability that prevented all forms of indirect damage, and one ability that only prevented damage from weather (which counted as indirect damage.) And in those games, you had no way to change your Pokemon's ability, so it would be stuck with the worse version permanently. Of course next gen buffed said ability to the point where it was generally the better pick in doubles, and introduced a way to change your Pokemon's ability.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

A belated tribute to the late PUSSYMASHER.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

most of the reason it's notable is due to the fact that it exists in a fangame where presumably the creator wanted to make it 'hard' yet just hands a goddamn monster to the player for practically free

You have to grind up 9999 coins, which does take a good while to do.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Incidentally, IVs of Pokemon in the official games are just determined by the Trainer type. EVs are set per Pokemon, but they aren't exactly optimized unless you're fighting an "advanced" trainer, or are fairly late in the game. Even then, they never really go beyond 2 stats having 255 of them, or 3 stats having 170 each.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

NPC trainers' EVs are always level*1.5, which may be throwing things off. From what I've heard about the official games, they only tend to put EVs on some things and tend towards 255/255 spreads.

Wait, does this apply to all their stats? Wouldn't this mean that any Pokemon past level 85 are pretty much illegal? But I forget if Uranium has any Pokemon that strong.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

On top of that too the reason why TieTuesday thought the Pokemon had perfect IVs was that even if you are five or six levels higher with a STAB move your Pokemon could just be one shoted. Is there any particular reason why as to why that occurred because that seemed the most infuriating part of the game? Leveling doesn't work the way it should.

You will never guess what edgey edgelord designs show up later because even I was surprised at how cold it was.

If the game didn't screw with the damage formula, the Pokemon being used either had low defenses, or the opponents had high attack. Considering how overtuned the base stats are, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of the two.

EDIT: Oh wait, there was a glitch where holding an item caused you to take 50% more damage. No idea if that got fixed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LupusAter posted:

And again, when talking about fanmade games, Pokemon Sage takes the concept (pokeball mimic) and executes it a lot better.

That's a cute fish. :3:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Gologle posted:

I had to look the name Celesteela up as someone who quit playing Pokemon a long long long time ago, and wow, when did Pokemon become Digimon?

That Pokemon is in a group of Pokemon that are straight up aliens, which is why they don't look like normal Pokemon.

serefin99 posted:

I keep seeing people complain about the Lurantis fight but I really don't get it. My Torracat absolutely demolished it and its Castform buddy.

A lot of the difficulty really comes from team setups considering how variable they can be.

Game Freak is usually good at providing an easy mode option if needed, through a TM or a specific Pokemon that can help demolish the challenge if people choose to use it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fling can only be used once since the item gets used up in the process.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tunicate posted:

What does flail max out at?

200. Yeah, I can see why they're reworking that ability. It could probably work, but said ability would have to be on Pokemon that aren't so great offensively or it would be overpowered. It would be kind of a hassle to balance properly.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

130 base attack with Gale Wings, you know, because Talonflame wasn't a big enough deal with 84. +1 Priority Air Slash with a decent special attack. What about its other moves? STAB U-turn, Knock Off, Drill Run, Dragon Dance, Gunk Shot, Sticky Web, Tailwind, it just has a million moves, gently caress you.

:catstare: What the hell?

Also that thing is totally the Ultimate Chimera from Mother 3.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

So did Uranium crank the hell out of the shiny hatch rate, or did you have a really bizarre run of luck?

It's 1/1024 in Uranium, and that can be increased by the same methods that exist in the actual games. The chances are still pretty low all things considered.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

With STAB and Acceleration, Flame Impact reaches 146.25 BP. This is almost as strong as a STAB Earthquake.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The other thing is that Ground is a very good attacking type, as it hits a few key types super effectively. Only type really walls it (Flying.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well an attack stat of 145 actually barely out-damages a Life Orb coming off 100 attack (By like 1 or 2 points) but you don't eat the 10% HP penalty. Though Choice Band outclasses that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

All the talk about Sage got me to check out the demo. I have to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised. It's definitely trying to be an actual Pokemon game. I do have a few issues with the demo, but it is 2 years old and maybe they've fixed them by now. Thankfully, I only really have issues with the gameplay side of things. There's no edgy writing and stuff like getting a key from a stalker to get into a house. It's more in line with the Pokemon games, actually. The issues I have is that the early game is a bit rough (Some Pokemon really could do without having both Sand Attack and Growl, and some trainers could do with less Pokemon) and the encounter rate is just too high. Despite that, I enjoyed it, and I think it seems promising. Having read the wiki, the people working on the project seem to have some good heads on their shoulders, so I look forward to the next demo.

Despite the majority of the early game Pokemon being Ice types, you won't really see Ice moves come out until sometime after you can get Pokeballs. Which means that if you pick the Grass starter, you won't be screwed over right away and can build up your team well before you run into them. That really speaks volumes about the game balance and already puts it above Uranium in my eyes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Energizate and Atomizate are the things that bugged me the most by a mile in that update. Not the abilities themselves; just their names. What's wrong with Energize and Atomize???

Naming convention because all the other versions of that ability had -ate at the end.

Then Sun and Moon broke that "pattern" because Normalizeate and Galvanizeate would have sounded really dumb.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah, but its a different kind of ability. No power boost for one.

Sun and Moon gave it the 30% 20% power boost that the other type changing abilities have, so it's pretty much a different version of those now. It's still a pretty terrible ability.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I hope it'll survive a takedown and not cause the whole game to get C&Ded.

If they can fix the problems that the old Sage demo had, I'll definitely be excited for the full release.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

the cat thing is kinda cute but what differentiates it from ditto

Ditto isn't in Uranium, so I guess that's one thing? It doesn't get Impostor, instead it gets Prankster or Trace.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

because we can.

That explains so much about their "design philosophies." With that said, they seem to have slightly come to their senses for that one, since its actual base stats are lower than the ones said in the blog.

• Locked thread