Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Coq au Nandos posted:

They're loving thieves, though. I once caught one attempting to steal an entire eski.

That's an incredible mental image. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly Edgy Pokemon already exists and it's pretty charming, even if mechanically it could use some work - Yokai Watch. You are literally collecting the spirits of the dead, and some of them get darkly humorous backstories. The Fighting type Cat is a normal cat that got run over by a truck. In it's afterlife it is obsessed with getting strong enough that it can fight a truck and win. The main character's parents have a massive falling out due to a Yokai deliberately creating a rift between them for a laugh, that kind of thing.

An older example: isn't edgy Pokemon aware of the impact its mons have on the world just Shin Megami Tensei? (Yes, I know the series is actually older than Pokemon.) You bind demons to your will and set them to fight against stronger demons, because the world's kind of become a shithole due to, in large part, demons being everywhere. It's pretty rare to fight fair against another trainer summoner (unless you're playing Devil Survivor), because you really need to gang up on these powerful demons to even stand a chance. The bosses don't just lose in a children's game and walk away, they are defeated or killed and sometimes also become bound to you by contract.

What I'm saying is that while mons in a much less idealistic setting can work and make internal sense, the resulting game will not resemble Pokemon all that much.

e: that cat backstory, though, drat. I've got to play these games one of these days. I've seen the demos and I liked the general tone.

Aithon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 4, 2017

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The one, single boss fight you don't eat after beating them ends up being eaten by someone else anyway after you spare her and leave the area :v:

And if I remember correctly, you don't get any experience for that fight because your party member refused to eat them. Consistency!

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Zore posted:

Super Metroid is very hard to play now after Fusion/Zero mission. The controls feel really awkward, especially diagonal aiming, and theres just a bunch of really annoying minor stuff that builds as you play.

For what it's worth, I played Super Metroid last of the 2D Metroids (including AM2R). Not trying for a 100% run, just for a chill blind-ish playthrough. While it took a while to get used to the controls, when they clicked, they really clicked. Having two separate buttons for aiming up/down is great when many enemies are designed around it, switching items starts out a bit clunky but also lets you have more interesting ones than just two (beam/missile) in Fusion. And while the SNES didn't have enough buttons for hotkeys, I appreciated that they were smart enough to give you an instant "return to beam" button.
The hardest things to get used to were: losing all forward momentum after landing from a jump and learning to use the dedicated run button in conjunction with shoot and jump. (The former is just slightly annoying, the latter is optional but cool.) Walljumping felt really easy. The hardest thing to figure out that was required for progress was diagonal shinesparking until I read that I should just hold the diagonal aiming buttons.
Oh, and the Grapple Beam took me what felt like a long time to learn using reliably, but I got there. And when I did, I got Space Jump just as I was starting to like the grapple. :confuoot:
Finally, the point: AM2R is really great but after I could compare it to Super, it feels like a very different kind of progression. You get Spider Ball really early, and Space Jump fairly soon after it, so the "intended" path seemed really easy platforming-wise. Super spaces out its many different toys, but in return it gives Power Bombs fairly early for finding secrets.

fake edit: I forgot the goddamn sandfalls, they were a pain in the rear end at the time in the game when I thought I had a decent handle on everything

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks for surviving this again for us. I feel I've learned a lot about not taking good design for granted. :v:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I never noticed before but his weird single yellow bang looks like it's a snake gnawing on his ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Echo Cian posted:

Shrinking his forehead didn't help.

That's wonderful. The expression seems much more human and relatable than his vanilla one, too, which is impressive considering it now involves a forehead snake. :allears:

edit: it probably helps that the dumb sideways Sonic grin is gone

Aithon fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 24, 2017

• Locked thread