Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

PJOmega posted:

The opening sequence was amazing but made little sense to me. As soon as Wick called he should've ordered the car released. He knew Wick was coming. He had a huge smuggling operation about to occur to clear everything out in case Wick was coming. Be the first to extend the branch.

Also, I get the feeling that the AssCoins they were loading up weren't entirely legit. Why else have the scene with the coin craftsman in the garden? Since coins are apparently produced and distributed by the consulate, that would indicate that they are indeed a reputation system rather than strictly fiducial. If a family was indeed creating counterfeits in order to sway more freelancers that would likely grievously upset the detente that is represented by the high table.

AssCoins. heh.

And given that Wick just murderlated his brother and nephew(and like 80 henchmen) over a damned dog and the car, he had no reason to presume that Wick was going to just...stop. Still, I'd maybe have the car outside with one of those giant bows on it, just in case.

Flipside: what sort of a mob boss would you look like if you gave in like that after your family (and Family) get attacked? Better to evac and go down swinging than look weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Pretty much. If Wick was still active, Iosef probably would have heard of him. But while Wick has a fearsome rep banked, he was also out of the scene--and there isn't exactly have a "Criminal Syndicate History, Part 1" reference book to say who built up the business. I doubt when Viggo was giving his primer to the family business to the kid he started it off with "everything we are we owe to this badass motherfucker bogeyman." Hell, for Viggo to be top dog as he was, Wick's Impossible Task being critical to him would probably be one of those "understood but not talked about" things. People in the know realize it was Wick that cleared the field for him, while everyone else just sees Viggo ascendant.

Of course, at this point Wick will be the talk of the Greater Assassin Community, considering: he's come back from retirement, murdered about 180 dudes, 3 mob leaders (including 2 high table members), flagrantly violated the Continental rules, and has a seven figure price on his head--all in the last 1-2 weeks.

Though if he were still alive Iosef would probably be grabbing a gun and driving out to try and get some, because he really was a dumbass.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

MrJacobs posted:

But the car can be fixed its in the shop, ready to be parked in a freshly charred garage.

I suspect it'll get "fixed in the shop" the same way the dead dog got fixed.

Bent frame, no pane of glass unbroken, lights gone, engine barely running, front end nearly crushed, bulletholes...really gonna get a "grandfather's axe" scenario there.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I watched John Wick 1, and I loved it, but with reservations that will probably make me skip the sequels.

What I enjoyed about John Wick 1 was how ultimately nihilistic and unpleasant the subculture of badass assassins and crime lords was. This is most obvious in just how Wick just can't enjoy it, while almost everyone else is playing their roles with gusto. There's a sense of wrongness no matter how cool the action scenes are that makes it a relief to get out once it's over.

So a sequel seems like missing the point.

Yeah, see #2. It's more of the same in all the good ways. They raise the stakes a bit in the background, but it's still Wick having to murder his way out of a situation that he didn't want to get into and warned the antagonists about.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Hard to say with such a small sample size. Her violation was that she "conducted business on Continental grounds". So we don't know whether she's being killed just for the act of going after Wick, or if its actually killing someone that is the only violation of the rules. After all, their "business" is killing people, but we don't know if "attempted business" is really a thing or not.

These guys don't seem like the types to distinguish between "attempted murder" and "murder"--you either tried to do a bad or you didn't. Of course, that excommunication is a thing and not just immediate jump-to-dead means there may be a sliding scale.

So her trying to off Wick may have only have gotten her excommunicated. Offing that guy is what probably sealed her fate--blood for blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Seems like the sound design is going to be a big part of selling Theron as a legit badass, that loud "thwak" sound as she repeatedly elbows the dude in the face is pretty sick.

Dave Foley is always critical to making action scenes pop.

• Locked thread