Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

40m? That's it? Wow. It didn't show at all. I saw this today. loving loved it. I loved the museum stuff too. It really caught me by surprise. I was really amazed that they went balls out and told everyone exactly what to expect in the sequel. It's like, beyond a cliffhanger ending.

It's amazing what people can do. The two Raid movies cost about five or six million between them.

I'm really, really annoyed how late we're getting this in Australia. One source says late April, the other mid-May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Having Ruby Rose speak only in sign language was a really good choice. Her accent is really jarring (and that's coming from someone with the same accent) and I doubt she'd be able to cover it up well.

I think it was less 'impossible' and more 'an awful idea'. She's a member of the High Table, and should be considered 'untouchable'. No one would normally consider killing someone of her status. Cassian wasn't exactly that present when she was at the party - it seemed like he was mostly kept as a formality. She's safe via status, rather than having Cassian or other security around.

Larry Fishburne has had a career most people can only dream of. Apocalypse Now, Boyz N Tha Hood, Othello, The Matrix, Hannibal. He's never really stopped having great roles. I think you're probably talking about Keanu, but Fishburne rules too.

My parents saw Larry's one man show in DC a few years ago and described as one of the best things they've ever seen. The guy is just absurdly awesome and talented.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

There's youtubes of him doing shooting drills, and he's almost as good as his instructor at them. That story about burglars breaking into Dolph Lundgren's house and then returning all the stuff when they realized it was Dolph? If I broke into Keanu's house without realizing, I'd just drop everything and run like gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnB07wnDJL8 Just in case anyone hasn't seen it.

I also feel that Keanu is so chill that anyone who broke into his house would get a calm admonishment, then give up their life of crime and take a job working in a soup kitchen.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Queensland gets it April 20 but the rest of Australia will apparently have to wait until May 11 according to Event Cinema's official site.

Three months after the rest of the world woooowwwwwwwwwww thanksssssssssss distributors! (That may change because the distributors are getting absolutely reamed by fans on all their social media platforms.)

How does it get that delayed? I can't imagine it takes that long to just physically get all the copies to the cinemas or whatever. I understand a week, but how does distribution take that long?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The distributors sat on it, apparently they were going to wait and see how it did in other markets before they decided what to do with it. They hadn't even submitted it for classification when it opened in the US. Word is that they were thinking about waiting to publish it direct-to-DVD until the fans flooded their social media.

I'm a little surprised that they were allowed to film their crazy action sequences in an actual museum up close to actual historically significant art pieces.

For gently caress's sake, this isn't Sabotage or Blackhat. This was an anticipated sequel to something that had done well initially then garnered a cult following.

For my part, I didn't see the first one in cinemas, because, at the time, the marketing did little to differentiate it from a fair few other 'older 90s actor doing an action movie' films from around the same time, but gently caress it really is a leap ahead.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

polish sausage posted:

part of me feels like if Cannon films still made movies today, were on their A-game, and catered them to a 2017 era audience they'd be alot like the john wick movies. Bless this series.

They're more like what would happen if Johnnie To, Michael Mann (80s Mann) and peak (1992) John Woo all ran at each other really hard while Jean Pierre Melville watched.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

Yeah, the events of the first movie are not Wick going "the Russian mob needs to die". He wanted three guys (and his car) and when those three were dead and his car was returned then nobody else needed to suffer. The huge body count was only from people directly throwing themselves at Wick to protect those three idiots and the car. Kevin Nash for instance, he was spared because he was just part of general night club security, not protecting Wick's targets directly.

And the last shootout at the docks only happens because Viggo, in an act of spite, kills Marcus and taunts John about it. He finally accepted that his son was going to die, but couldn't quite let it go, even though his son was completely useless. I kind of hope that becomes Alfie Allen's gimmick.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The correct answer is in fact Fury Road, however The Raid, The Raid 2, or Dredd are right up there. It really has been a fantastic 5 years or so for action films, we've had a stone-cold classic like once a year.

Don't forget Kingsman, if only for that church sequence. And the three best Fast and the Furious movies.

What were the great action films of the first decade of this millenium? I know they existed, they're just escaping me in a bit of bias validation.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

I will forget kingsman actually thank you very much.

Look at this chump who hates cool things.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Kingsman is very good, but if we're talking about the league that Fury Road, The Raid, and John Wick are playing in, no.

As rad as those films are, I'm not sure any of them had a set piece as singularly ambitious in conception and jaw dropping in execution as the church scene.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

If you take politics out of it, all of those films have at least three or four scenes that are just as good as the church scene. And it is a great scene.

Politics?

I hate to low content post, but I really have no idea how politics applies

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The scene takes place in a church and the people who get killed are all of a certain type. I thought maybe you were referring to that when you said it was "ambitious in conception".

No, by that I meant how it gives the illusion of a single take (well, three single takes) while still remaining really fluid and punchy. The best fight scenes (like Jackie Chan's peak, or peaks) have a rythmn to them, set by the choregraphy and editing. Long take action scenes tend to have a much more meandering rythmn, like that one in "Daredevil" or the one in "Ong Bak - This time with an Elephant." It's not their fault, it's just that the performers need to find their marks each time, and so their rythmn tends to be a little slower and less finely tuned. Kingsman's was not.

The fact that the people were of a certain type makes the scene really interesting, and quite deliberately turns it into a power fantasy gone way too far. The music reinforces this, Freebird being a great song that goes on a little too long. But that's a textual point, rather than a technical one, which is what I was referring to.

Of the films you mentioned, I think the only set piece on a par was the prison riot in The Raid 2, which is the best scene of that kind I've seen. Even good and great film makers like Nolan and Scorsese have struggled to capture the sense of chaos of a giant brawl, and the deleted 'gang fight' scene shows that it was no fluke.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DrunkPanda posted:

"Anyone that can take Fedor Emilianko (in his prime) in a fight one on one, I will give them 100 million"

This is kind of weird example, seeing as everyone does champ at the bit to fight the top fighter, since, if you win, your rep is sealed forever and you get a fuckton of cash. poo poo, Rampage rode off the fact that he was the first (of four) to knock out Chuck Liddell for the entire rest of his career.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

It is kind've a plot hole, the only reason the Tarasov syndicate are doing as well as they are is that Viggo tasked Wick with the "impossible task" of killing all their competitors in a single night when Wick wanted to retire and get married. It's pretty weird that Iosef had never heard anything about Wick considering he was singlehandedly responsible for putting their syndicate where it is.

I'm sorry that this is from a few pages back, but I finally got to see this last night (It is fantastic) but there's being aware that a nearly mythical hitman killed all your competitors, then there's connecting him to some random dude in a gas station. I mean, I know members of the Australian SAS exist, but I wouldn't assume someone I ran into was one. Unless Iosef had met him, or seen a picture, there's no way he could have connected them.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So a sequel seems like missing the point.

It leans even more on the 'lapsed recovering addict' imagery of the first one.

Basebf555 posted:

Wow, once you own the movie and you don't feel like you have to focus so much on every little action beat, Chapter 2 really is stunning visually. That hall of mirrors scene, goddamn.

It is a really pretty movie. It doesn't have a bad shot in it. I joke that the show Hannibal (the gold standard of pretty TV shows) is shot entirely like a cookbook. John Wick 2 is shot entirely like a watch commercial. There's a real depth of pallette to the whole thing. Just to pick one scene, the Sommelier's room is a gun rack, but every shift in tone and light is captured.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nah my point was that when Viggo confronted Iosef and said "That was John Wick you loving idiot!" it was odd that Iosef's reaction was "Yeah sorry, doesn't ring a bell?"

He actually doesn't say anything except 'the boogeyman?' until his dad is finished speaking, when he says 'let me go finish him.' It's ambiguous whether he knew the name, but not the face, or was aware of the legendary hitman, but not the name. True, arguably he should have had a more specific response, but the one he has is sufficiently ambiguous to not actually contradict anything we find out later. I mean, sure, Iosef thinks he can take on Wick, but that's even after Viggo explains who he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
These films are about Faustian bargains, they're just from the perspective of the devil. Tarasov gains an empire with Wick's help, but the empire is gained so fast that his son never learns the cost of violence, and so, when he randomly dishes it out for petty reasons, having grown up feeling invulnerable, it destroys the empire at the hands of the man who helped build it.
Santino cashes in his marker that John cannot refuse, giving him more power, but also removing the one barrier between him and Wick.

• Locked thread