Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dead Snoopy posted:

See...I didn't take the joke that way at all but I still laughed. The way I interpreted the joke initially was, John Wick has never been here and who the gently caress could possibly be a bigger target for the legendary John Wick himself to come to town to kill? The fact that he doesn't even conceive it could possibly be Gianna shows how crazy an idea it is for anyone to even attempt to take her out that the biggest target he can come up with is The Pope in the #2 spot.

He'd clearly spent a fair amount of time in Rome, the Sommelier and everyone else recognised him and already had a good handle on his preferences. But that was a good reading anyway, everyone knew that Wick had retired so it was a safe bet that if he'd been forced out of retirement then his target was going to be someone that no other assassin could conceivably get to and there's only a few people in Rome who fall into that category, with the Pope at the top of the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Time to get learnt on some art history, motherfuckers!

Classic art and mythology features very heavily in John Wick 2 with characters named after mythical character (like Charon and Ares) and a whole bunch of classical art featured heavily in certain scenes. Many of the scenes are set in an unnamed NYC museum but were actually shot in the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna (National Gallery of Modern Art) in Rome. This room in particular sees a lot of action:

That gigantic central statue is Ercole e Lica (Hercules and Lichas) by Antonio Canova, sculpted between 1795 to 1815 and depicting a moment in the somewhat complicated story of Hercules' death. The themes presented here are betrayal (and betrayal upon betrayal upon betrayal), revenge played out via murderous rage and hasty agreements made with the wrong people which eventually come back to completely gently caress you over.
Note also the other statues assembled around Hercules: a pantheon of twelve gods who are looking on as the guy who is famous for completing impossible tasks goes bugfuck crazy and murders everyone within arms reach.

This next painting is also rather symbolically crucial to the movie:

It's La battaglia di Custoza (The Battle of Custoza) by Giovanni Fattori, painted in 1880 and also part of the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna's collection. It depicts the first battle of the Third Italian War of Independence where the Kingdom of Italy realised that the Austro-Prussian War gave them a great opportunity to seize back control of Venetia from the Austrians and reunite the Italian peninsula. Custoza was the Italian's first big push in the war but even though their army was almost double the size of the embedded Austrian forces in Venetia they got their asses kicked, being forced to retreat back across the Mincio river suffering heavy losses and leaving behind over 4,000 prisoners. The Italians never really recovered from the loss and were pretty much ineffective during the rest of the war and in the end they only regained Venetia after it was awarded to France in the peace talks (which they weren't even invited to) and the French gave it back to them as a gift. Austria refused to hand it directly to Italy on account of them fighting so poorly in the war.
The themes presented here are: don't assume you're going to win just because you've got the superior forces, sometimes taking advantage of a situation and making a sneak attack can get your rear end kicked, reunification and taking what's rightfully yours may be a noble cause but it's no guarantee of victory and you run the risk of embarrassing yourself if you don't know what you're doing.

Certain other classical artworks also feature fairly prominently in other scenes. There's a whole lot of fighting around this statue:

That's Gaetano Cellini's L’umanità contro il male 1908 (Humanity Against Evil) which bears the inscription "Thus I’ll extirpate using my teeth and nails / the eternal pain that stings my heart". It depicts a man struggling against all the rage and anger and evil inside himself.

And there's a certain scene where this statue looms over everything:

That's the Angel of the Waters in Bethesda Terrace in Central Park NYC which refers to a scene in the Gospel of John, Chapter 5 where an angel blesses the Pool of Bethesda, giving it healing powers. That chapter also has a story about a man who is finally healed of an affliction which had crippled him for 38 years but that leads directly to the Jewish leaders condemning Jesus for working on the Sabbath (breaking the one rule which must not be broken) and condemning him to death.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm really, really annoyed how late we're getting this in Australia. One source says late April, the other mid-May.

Queensland gets it April 20 but the rest of Australia will apparently have to wait until May 11 according to Event Cinema's official site.

Three months after the rest of the world woooowwwwwwwwwww thanksssssssssss distributors! (That may change because the distributors are getting absolutely reamed by fans on all their social media platforms.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The other big painting behind John Wick when he's talking to Santino in the museum turns out to be Bersaglieri a Dogali (Battle at Dogali) by Michele Cammarano which depicts another crushing Italian military defeat which in turn lead to two Italo-Ethiopian Wars. It turns out that trying to establish a colony in Ethiopia via military force wasn't all that clever.

They're surrounded by gigantic billboard-sized reminders that attempting to reunify or expand Italian territory by force of arms is a baaaad idea. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was looking up movie trivia on the first John Wick movie and according to the directors' commentary they got a note from the studio asking if it was really necessary to kill the dog.

:psyboom:

Lobok posted:

You should turn this into a general Internet post of some kind so non-Goons can enjoy it (unless you already did, I dunno).

I don't go on the rest of the internet.

I RETIRED.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

How does it get that delayed? I can't imagine it takes that long to just physically get all the copies to the cinemas or whatever. I understand a week, but how does distribution take that long?

The distributors sat on it, apparently they were going to wait and see how it did in other markets before they decided what to do with it. They hadn't even submitted it for classification when it opened in the US. Word is that they were thinking about waiting to publish it direct-to-DVD until the fans flooded their social media.

Tenzarin posted:

They spent so much time reshowing the bad guy infront of daddies art collection, I was expecting John Wick to blow it up.

I'm a little surprised that they were allowed to film their crazy action sequences in an actual museum up close to actual historically significant art pieces.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

For gently caress's sake, this isn't Sabotage or Blackhat. This was an anticipated sequel to something that had done well initially then garnered a cult following.

... and then went on to make more money (domestically) than the original in just 8 days, and more money worldwide in 11 days than the original did in its entire run.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DC Murderverse posted:

I hope that Keanu continues to make these films until he can't or won't any more. This is what he was meant to do.

Up until late last year director Chad Stahelski had been saying that the John Wick story was going to be a trilogy but when he was asked a few weeks ago whether they would consider making more than 3 JW movies he said "I leave that to the audience. It’s really up to their palette and appetite for John Wick."
http://lrmonline.com/news/exclusive-lrm-interview-director-chad-stahelski-for-john-wick-2

My hope is that if they can't think of any more good reasons for dragging him out of retirement then they don't try and force it.

1stGear posted:

EDIT: Oh, and I realize that Keanu Reeves isn't the Greatest Actor Unto Life or anything but could you seriously not get a better take for his final line?

John Wick is no James Bond. Point him towards some guys that need to be killed and he'll move through the room like the slickest mother fucker who ever walked but put him in a social situation where he has to interact with people and he's one awkward mother fucker. He's an assassin, not a debonair spy. There's a reason he doesn't talk much. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

well why not posted:

Maybe Ruby Rose, too.

It occurred to me watching that scene that he'd specifically left the knife in Common and told him "If you pull it out you'll bleed to death immediately" buy when he fought Rose he stabbed her in what looked to be the same place but then deliberately pulled the knife out. She dicked him around so she didn't get any professional courtesy extended to her.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ATP_Power posted:

I think there's also something to tease out about how the rules of the Continental and the High Table are represented and discussed in the films (especially with Winston and his relationship with John), but I don't have the pieces in place to write something about it.

Here's one piece of the puzzle:

quote:

LRM: Let’s start with this. If you had to describe in a few words on who John Wick is—how would you define and describe him as?

Chad Stahelski: Determined. Force of will. Committed. A man of etiquette, yet he got a code. We designed his character based on the Arthurian mythology. It’s about King Arthur, Knights of the Round Table and everyone’s got a code. It’s how you see the code. The good. The bad. The positive. The negative. It’s all up for interpretation.
http://lrmonline.com/news/exclusive-lrm-interview-director-chad-stahelski-for-john-wick-2

I don't think they used the Arthurian stories as the basis for any of the movie plots or based any of the characters on Arthurian characters (but I'm certainly no Arthurian expert, I could be wayyyyy wrong there. I guess that Winston might be slightly Merlin-like?) but it looks like the honour system in JW is at least based partially off or inspired by the Arthurian chivalric code.

Edit: the Continental honour system is also incredibly similar to Bushido, especially as depicted in old samurai films. Wick is pretty much an aging ronin who gets dragged back to deal with upstart new daimyo who think they're going to be the next shogun.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 22, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Perestroika posted:

It seems fairly likely that Charon and Wick already knew each other before the events of JW1.

Yeah he says "And as always it is a pleasure having you with us again, Mr Wick" in the first movie, that's pretty unambiguous.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

They know about John Wick, at least most of them do. His son doesn't really know anything because he's a moron, and he's in his early 20's. At that point Wick has been out of the game for 5 years, I doubt when Viggo's son was 18 he was involved in ordering secret assassinations with his father. Even at the start of the first movie it doesn't seem like Viggo really includes his son in any actual important business, he just lets him hang around doing busy work because its his kid.

Viggo's head of security knows exactly who Wick is, for instance. He has a very healthy respect for/fear of Wick.

It is kind've a plot hole, the only reason the Tarasov syndicate are doing as well as they are is that Viggo tasked Wick with the "impossible task" of killing all their competitors in a single night when Wick wanted to retire and get married. It's pretty weird that Iosef had never heard anything about Wick considering he was singlehandedly responsible for putting their syndicate where it is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NmareBfly posted:

Main objection: The price on his contract. Not necessarily that 7 mil sounds low (it does) but also why the gently caress is it in USD? If it was 7 million doubloons that'd be a different story. Is it because they just didn't want to put a name to their currency?

Just to get back to this and to put it in some context, I was rewatching the original film and Viggo at first puts a $2 million bounty on Wick to try and save his son's life and later increases that to $4 million to try and entice someone to assassinate Wick inside the Continental. Perkins was aware of Wick's reputation and the repercussions for breaking the "No killing in the Continental" rule but she was still willing to take the job for $4m.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I watched John Wick 1, and I loved it, but with reservations that will probably make me skip the sequels.

What I enjoyed about John Wick 1 was how ultimately nihilistic and unpleasant the subculture of badass assassins and crime lords was. This is most obvious in just how Wick just can't enjoy it, while almost everyone else is playing their roles with gusto. There's a sense of wrongness no matter how cool the action scenes are that makes it a relief to get out once it's over.

So a sequel seems like missing the point.

The sequel was made by all the same people who made the original and they're very very aware of the themes and moods they established in the first film. John really really doesn't start enjoying himself any more in this film or start thinking he's cool.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
As much as I love JW2 I still love JW1 more so it'll be interesting to see how someone reacts to JW1 after having seen JW2 first.

JW2 made massively more money at the box office than JW1 so I guess there'd be quite a few people in that position, even if most of them caught the first film on DVD or streaming or whatever.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Queering Wheel posted:

The difference between a sanctioned fight against Fedor and trying to assassinate someone is that any punk with a gun potentially COULD take out John Wick. As badass as he is, when he's engaging in gunfights with other people, he's still a human being and he drat well could have died at any moment. Of course he's the main character, so that's not going to happen

He came pretty close several times, he had the poo poo kicked out of him right from the very first scene in the Russians' garage.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bucketybuck posted:

My impression was that Winston didn't need an entire park full of people, that Wick went to the park fully expecting to be executed for his rule breaking and that he would have let Winston do it.

Note also that it was the exact same part of Central Park where Winston had Perkins killed in JW1 after she'd attacked John in the Continental.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This poo poo is loving insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAjmF0pEC-U

Edit: the final shot where John is walking through several mirrored automatic doors and you're seeing it from his perspective :psyduck:

Edit 2: here's an interview with Chad Stahelski about the scene

quote:

[The mirror-room fight] is is one of the first ideas I wrote down. Didn't even have a story yet, but I just went, "Yeah we're going to re-do Enter the Dragon. We're going to do Bruce Lee and Mr. Han in the mirror room." That's where it all came from. So, I was like, "How can I make a mirror room better?"

There's a lot of people that were in charge of logistics and money, that were [saying] "You don't want to do that. It's going to be too much money. You're going to kill yourself.” It’s like when you tell them you want to do a scene in the rain. Everybody tries to talk you out of it, because it's more expensive, it's slower, everyone's miserable. It's like, "No, I think I want to do it." Why do it the easy way, right? That's not the John Wick way.

quote:

We started prepping all of our action sequences three months before anybody even unpacked a camera. And unlike a lot of other crews, my cameramen were in rehearsals. My cinematographer went to stunt rehearsals. My production designer came to the stunt rehearsals. Everybody knew we were making an action movie: "What can we do to make it better?"

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 25, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PJOmega posted:

I honestly figured the second was a splice. Relatively easy to mask it. Otherwise how did the shoot it?

Yeah I can't see any other way either, although we should note that these guys are at the very top of their game and they literally spent months just loving around with mirrors in a warehouse figuring out all the super tricky stuff before they even started filming.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm sorry that this is from a few pages back, but I finally got to see this last night (It is fantastic) but there's being aware that a nearly mythical hitman killed all your competitors, then there's connecting him to some random dude in a gas station. I mean, I know members of the Australian SAS exist, but I wouldn't assume someone I ran into was one. Unless Iosef had met him, or seen a picture, there's no way he could have connected them.

Nah my point was that when Viggo confronted Iosef and said "That was John Wick you loving idiot!" it was odd that Iosef's reaction was "Yeah sorry, doesn't ring a bell?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I only really have one. Santiago was so intent on pissing Wick off and he clearly knows that Wick is a force of nature and WILL blow his brains out. He knows Wick will burn his loving house down and more in vengance and yet he just keeps getting in one more dig until they are cleaning his brains from the Continental's floor. Like if you know what Wick truly is, then why the gently caress do you keep on provoking someone who can clearly just wipe you and any 100's of armed henchman out.... and why the gently caress are you going to keep taunting him when he has just rampaged through your museum and blown away your closest 50 armed guards? Wouldnt that be a good time to shut up and run like gently caress?

Up until that point attacking someone inside the Continental was the one unbreakable rule that not even John Wick would openly break since it's a 100% death sentence that no one could ever escape or re-negotiate or buy their way out of. D'Antonio genuinely thought he'd outmaneuvered John and had reached absolute sanctuary. Note that John had fully accepted this fate and was calmly waiting for Winston to execute him later on, only for Winston break the rules and let him start running.

• Locked thread