Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGk2EfbD_Ps

Summary from IMDB posted:

After returning to the criminal underworld to repay a debt, John Wick discovers that a large bounty has been put on his life.

John Wick: Chapter 2 is the second installment in the John Wick series. In the first film, John Wick (Keanu Reeves) was established as a retired hitman whose wife had recently died and left him a small dog. Russian mobsters wanted his car, so they took it, beat him up, and killed his dog. This proved to be a very, very bad idea for said Russian mobsters, as the rest of the film followed Wick quickly murdering close to 80 people in his pursuit of revenge.

In the second film, he changes the menu from borscht to spaghetti, as the Camorra decides to piss him off by dragging him out of his second attempt at retirement in the name of a blood debt and blowing up his house (leaving his new dog unharmed, fortunately for everybody). You might be able to predict how well this ends for them.

What makes these movies truly special is, they're actually not just mindless action. There's a very in-depth world behind the plot, with the films setting up an extremely intricate criminal underworld with all kinds of odd jargon and rules and formalities and John himself being a pretty well-realized and unique protagonist. John Wick 2 could even be taken as an argument for a revolution of the proletariat over labor exploitation, though it remains to be seen how the upcoming third film will pay off on what it sets up. Also, Keanu is daddy af in them but that's neither here nor there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Keanu Reeves seems to enjoy training with weaponry and martial arts to the point that the guy is probably fairly capable of throwing down and doing some damage IRL (despite being 50+).

There's youtubes of him doing shooting drills, and he's almost as good as his instructor at them. That story about burglars breaking into Dolph Lundgren's house and then returning all the stuff when they realized it was Dolph? If I broke into Keanu's house without realizing, I'd just drop everything and run like gently caress.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ATP_Power posted:

That was fascinating stuff about the art featured in the film, thanks for sharing that Snowglobe.

At the end Winston hands Wick a marker, and I'm pretty sure it's not John's. Is this another example of Winston bending the rules for John, or was it him giving John his completed marker as closure?

The former. John may have broken the main rule, but that doesn't mean his personal friendship with Winston is suddenly invalid.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, the entire point of the marker is that you do not get to say no to it, no matter what, period, end of discussion. I mean, John says no at the beginning and gets his loving house blown up for his trouble. Like Giovanna is at first shocked at John coming to kill her, then when she finds out it's for a marker she's just like "welp ok".

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gyges posted:

It would be kind of cool to see John Wick unleashed in another part of the world where nobody knows who he is and the bad guys can't figure out why none of their underworld contacts will have anything to do with them. Might be kind of hard to pull that out to a full movie though if they don't have an army of dudes to throw at John Wick though.

Go full Rambo IV, John Wick vs. Boko Haram

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stairmaster posted:

I will forget kingsman actually thank you very much.

Kingsman was dope. Wasn't as good as either of the John Wicks, but was still a drat fun watch.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I watched John Wick 1, and I loved it, but with reservations that will probably make me skip the sequels.

What I enjoyed about John Wick 1 was how ultimately nihilistic and unpleasant the subculture of badass assassins and crime lords was. This is most obvious in just how Wick just can't enjoy it, while almost everyone else is playing their roles with gusto. There's a sense of wrongness no matter how cool the action scenes are that makes it a relief to get out once it's over.

So a sequel seems like missing the point.

I think you'll get more of a kick out of Chapter 2 than you expect, with that in mind.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MariusLecter posted:

All that really is in John Wick Chapter 2, it's emphasized and punctuated hard with this song at the end that the bolded parts of your post just made me start playing it in my head , Plastic Heart - feat. Ciscandra Nostalghia (John Wick: Chapter 2 OST)

Seriously the best pseudo-Bond theme since Snake Eater

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nah, if anything he needs buffs after the end of this movie

(:haw:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, Enter the Dragon did a hall of mirrors fight where you can't ever see the cameraman, 44 years ago. It's not as pretty as the John Wick one but it's not some new groundbreaking effect.

• Locked thread