Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lmao are those the same Shinkos that come stock on the Monkey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My Monkey's 2yr Oregon registration was about $200

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

GriszledMelkaba posted:

If you are not gently caress The Police then why ride motorcycles?

How do motorcycle cops fit into this?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've put 5k miles on my Monkey in a year commuting, including highway travel. I limit myself to 55mph highways though.
125cc bikes are an option, even in the US

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Good luck finding one. There's one guy near me trying to sell one for $7k
I hope your local situation is much better than what I've been seeing. I actually wanted to buy a Trail 125 but couldn't get one anywhere near me. Stumbled across a Monkey with less than 300 miles and bought that instead.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 20, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'd love to get something like a DRZ400SM but a seat height of 35 inches isn't going to happen with my barely 29 inch inseams and I'm not hopping off at every stop. Being short sucks yo

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Carteret posted:

You only need to be able to put your left foot down with the other on the rear brake. Flat footing is overrated. I'm 6'1 and my inseam is nowhere close to 35 inches.

I'm well aware, I've got a couple of dirt bikes with seat heights in that range. It's not happening in traffic and that's the end of it. If I'm honest, my inseam is closer to 28 inches. A half a foot isn't going to be scootch-your-butted out of way
I'm not taking about flat footing it, I'm talking about even being able to touch ground with a toe

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I should have addressed that, too. I hate lowering links and how they gently caress up the suspension. I've wasted money on that before (Kuba for a KLX300R)
I'll stick to dirt bikes on the many trails and dunes around here.
To be clear, I'm not unfamiliar with riding bikes taller than me. My 250EXC is at 35 inches and it's kick start only.
If I had to deal with that seat height on my commute, I'd take the car instead.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 21, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Worth noting that the KLX300SM has manageable seat height even for short guys. Too bad it's so hard to find and/or being sold above MSRP.
I've got a KLX300R (my son's actually) and it's a fun bike off-road.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I somewhat burned my clumsy hand because it touched the header as I was trying to gently caress around with the oil filler plug.

A few weeks back I was riding some new to me forest trails and my shin collided with the end of a thick branch stump.
I got a huge loving bruise that lasted for ~4 weeks and that was with proper boots on.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My little 125's gearing is too much for 5th so it barely runs out of steam unless on a slight decline with no wind and me tucked. I think I'm OK with 5 gears but it seems the correct amount is n+1 where n is the amount your bike actually has. :v:

I've got 4 :(
On top of it, it's at 1.000 ratio
The available aftermarket 5 gear transmissions put 5th at less than that.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Another area where riding dirt bikes teaches good fundamentals: No neutral lights

My Kickstarter is my neutral light

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My first bike was an 85 Honda MBX80. The speedo was broken but the tach worked. In 6th gear (maybe it had only 5) the tach would line up with speed in kmh

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I test rode a LiveWire last weekend. I rode to the dealership on my Monkey lol.
The LiveWire is the most powerful bike I've been on. I briefly had an 88 CBR600 about 15 years ago and it was running on 3 cylinders.
I say all this because the bike was effortless to ride, even in full sport mode. Traction control keeps the rear from spinning and the front down. So it's pretty easy to goose it at a light and take off with incredible acceleration.
The seat height was about as tall as I'd want it as a short guy. I didn't like the seating position.
Despite the power, it always felt (and sounded) like I was riding on top of a giant RC car.
Anyway, cool bike and obviously well built. Not something that's practical for me at this point, but I recommend you give it a go if you can.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

Rode out to the coast and back because it’s hot as gently caress and I’ve had a stressful week that’s going to be followed by another stressful week. It was great.

2 questions came out of this trip:

*I hit a mile or two of grooved pavement that wasn’t so bad on its own, but I stuck to the middle of the lane because the usual tire lines looked and felt a bit like they’d been tarred. I didn’t like the look of them and avoided, but I wonder if I was overreacting. Anything special I should do beyond “take it easy” on grooved pavement? Was I more cautious than I needed to be on the darker lines?

*How should I change the way I’m thinking about curve physics when I’m coasting downhill? I’ve got a hill I regularly ride on that is steep and curvy enough that I sometimes just put it in neutral so I’m not riding the clutch all the way down. So I’m not going from braking to accelerating so much as braking and then letting gravity do its thing.

I’m not pushing performance all that hard or anything, but I want to be a little better riding every time I go out.

Picture tax.

What's up, I was out there today too. It was crazy packed

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Both in WA and now OR I've found about equal content on FB and CL. Used prices are bad here in the Pdx metro area. Dealers that have any new stock are probably over-charging out the rear end and back.

That said, I've been seeing far better deals in CL for more remote rural areas. I'm not sure if it's boomers getting rid of bikes or what. I saw a few ads about getting too old, resulting in what seemed like really good pricing for mid-2000 Road Kings / EGs / SGs

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 28, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phy posted:

I think that might be backwards, the way I understood it is that most oil pumps are driven off the crankshaft, and in most bikes (Harleys excepted, like you said) the gearbox and engine have a shared sump. So if you're coasting with the clutch in, or the bike in neutral, you've got the transmission spinning fast and the engine (and therefore oil pump) idling, so you may be oil-starving the transmission.

If you're engine braking, then the engine is spinning and the oil pump is pumping and you're fine.

How does this play out in engines where the transmission just sits in the sump? (Like the 125 Honda uses in the Grom/Monkey/CT)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nonsense. It's a throttle. It's either on or off.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:allears: that's fantastic, great video

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Re: boaty dirt bikes and sliding rear ends: one of the most fun things to do for me personally is to initiate a turn on wet sand (i.e., beach) and get on the throttle so the rear slides out. You can do this going fairly fast.
Don't be behind me, though : paddle tire rooster tail of wet sand hurts.

Was out riding in dunes/beach again last Sunday. I spent most of it practicing wheelies. My distance improved a little.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

I'll just add that lowering linkages are a crutch for children and generally ruin whatever you put them on. Scooped out seat or a different bike are the right solutions to the problem.

Tried a lowering link on a new KLX300R, can confirm it was terrible. Took it off after one horrible ride and decided to deal with the height.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Wild. My Monkey costs ~$200/year with full coverage through Progressive in Oregon.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Wild. My Monkey costs ~$200/year with full coverage through Progressive in Oregon.

gently caress that was a typo. I pay $100/year. I can only assume this has to do with the tiny slow bike

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

FFS, some of yall's rates are "find a new hobby" territory for me.

For real. I do not think I would be riding with those rates.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I just rolled over 7k miles on the Monkey. Would love something bigger, but I won't have money for that for a while.
Besides, the current setup does almost everything I want and gets me to and from work every day very cheaply.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

The added layer in the Pacific Northwest is folks who are driving very safe hatchbacks and small SUVs at less than the speed limit,

Wtf is it with these morons.
Constantly going 5 under (or worse), and as soon as there's a passing lane everyone spreads out, goes 5 over, and don't let anyone actually pass.
Passing lane over? Everyone back to 5 under.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I panic mash without discrimination

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some might call it a debuff

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Were you trying to ride the Germantown area?

It's been above freezing south of town, so unless it's dumping I'm still commuting but freezing temps will put a damper on that.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Still commuting a few days a week in Portland :smugdog:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I put heated grips on around Thanksgiving.
I just wear my regular office attire and throw on a Tourmaster Transition coat and pants over that. Scarf + good socks have made a 22 mile commute down to 33 degrees pretty comfortable. I guess the Strom's barn door Dad screen might have something to do with it, too

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A very fine Oregon driver pulling a trailer full of unsecured poo poo lost a king size mattress in front of me today. Thankfully I was able to see this nonsense from a literal mile away, slow down, and go around.
Just why the gently caress would you do that?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Well duh, it has half the tires a car has!

My Monkey is great on gas and insurance. 90mpg hell yeah.
The Strom gets only about 41mpg. Not great, but better than my car.
I don't ride to save money though. Not having five motorcycles in my garage might save me money.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lmao yeah. Time savings?
I tend to take the longer, lonelier roads.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Oh that's right, my Monkey has them, too!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You can buy vibration damping phone mounts though.
I look at my phone for traffic info, that's about it. I usually know the route but the up-to-date traffic info is nice. I don't find it distracting myself and the ride is identical whether I have a phone on the bars or not.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Kawi also make the KLX230 dual sport, but it's got a bit less power. And it's air cooled

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I do it for slow speed modulation in creeping traffic quite often

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Meh. I put ~25k miles on three different bikes with SPD pedals and I never ate poo poo just falling over at a stand still.

I have ate poo poo in a corner with gravel tho and other stuff

Never dropped the Monkey because that's not possible.
Dropped the Vee twice now, at basically stand still. More of a gentle "ok I guess my leg isn't going to hold this up, time to slowly fold out from under here"

If I don't drop/crash/get separated from my dirt bike, I'm not riding hard enough that day I guess.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You just have to make it look smooth and people will be amazed

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrqUAjQgWvF/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Hoping this is visible to you goons