Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Volkerball posted:

Sataere got fired from there.

We're still trying to find the key to the thread's mens room. Dude hid it somewhere because it's important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

At my last job there was a guy who was really secretive and kept a lot of critical processes close to his chest.

He was one of the first to get hit in layoffs and there was a rough week but people figured it out.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Diva Cupcake posted:

never stay at a job 11 years you'll wind up being grossly underpaid hth

Also, this

Leperflesh posted:

If only you know how to do certain things, your employer will willfully ignore that fact when firing you, and then deal with the consequences later. Instead of regretting firing you, they'll be angry with that rear end in a top hat they fired for doing all this custom poo poo and not documenting it or telling anyone.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

John Brown posted:

Time to drop some knowledge on you fools. If you feel the need to hold back on teachings then you either a) work for a poo poo employer and need to leave, or b) have been scarred in the past and don't know how to be a good leader

The whole "protect your job" is an ancient approach which only brings about minimal benefits (specifically for yourself). You're better off elevating your team/department/company as a whole and use that to negotiate why you deserve to be an even bigger "influencer" on the company.

Additionally, collaboration makes for a good team environment, and everyone thrives when they're succeeding. It would reflect really well upon you.

What you're doing is contributing to, or creating, an environment of secrecy and betrayal. If you are withholding teachings to those under you then you are literally betraying them since one of your responsibilities is their development.

Everything here sounds about right. I do work for a poo poo employer, so this is probably where that attitude comes from. Like I said, this place turns over 50% of its staff annually, which is a horrible number.

There isn't an environment of secrecy and betrayal though. Not volunteering information is not the same as actively holding it back. Everyone seems content to let me keep handling the things they know nothing about. And I have worked hard to cultivate a reputation as a person you can come to for help and who will perform tasks outside of their job requirements if they need to be done.

weird Asian candy posted:

Oh you are THAT guy

I used to hate that guy too. The problem is some supervisors don't even know what / how much their employees are doing at a given time. I rarely look like I am busy, because I get things done quickly and efficiently. And it gets annoying when the guy who always looks busy because he is bad at their job is treated like a better employee because he looks like he is working harder. It makes my life and my bosses lives easier, because I have given them the tools to show their boss how our department is running.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Going out of your way to train coworkers sounds like a great way to show your worth at a company, boost the whole team's productivity, and advance up the ladder. Why would it get you fired/laid off??

Like I said, I'm not worried about being fired. But I have an inherent distrust for upper management at any company. I don't believe most companies act in their own best interest or the interests of its employees.

Flikken posted:

I think my cross training has helped with both morale and retention. That and I use extra hours as an incentive/reward to those that work hard. This has also kept my overtime low.

I think the problem here is the culture of this company views overtime as a sign of dedication. So they aren't interested in this type of stuff. They think a guy who is working himself to death is a model employee.

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is the truth. I actually approached my boss about this recently. I looked up comparable jobs recently and was shocked at how bad it is. I know it's bad because even my boss admitted I am underpaid. Hopefully they'll give me a decent bump, because I don't really want to leave behind the benefits package, which is pretty great.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

We're still trying to find the key to the thread's mens room. Dude hid it somewhere because it's important.

LOL. Like I am important enough to have a bathroom key.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The joke is you're a janitor. Good self burn. You're not even a main janitor. You're the guy that cleans the trash out but has to have a superior come unlock the bin for you.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm probably underpaid, but eh, I really love the 40 hour work week which is fairly rare in programmer land.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Joey Freshwater posted:

The joke is you're a janitor. Good self burn. You're not even a main janitor. You're the guy that cleans the trash out but has to have a superior come unlock the bin for you.

Thanks for explaining the joke.

The offseason truly is a barren wasteland.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

I'm probably underpaid, but eh, I really love the 40 hour work week which is fairly rare in programmer land.
There are obviously reasons to place a lesser importance on pay (dope healthcare, excessive vaca time, primo work/life balance, et al) as long as your eyes are wide open that you'll probably make 25-50% less than people aggressively shopping themselves every ~3 years.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm definitely below where I should be for salary after nearly 13 years at one company. But, I get to work from home 5 days a week, I have a great working relationship with my boss and co-workers, and I can get away with being pretty lazy because I'm so practiced at my job that a baseline effort still produces better results than most of my peers' hard work. Also I have the option of moving basically anywhere, rather than being tied to the bay area.

Money isn't everything.

no it really is, what am I doing, gently caress

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Why on earth is there a 3 page rant on employees employer relationships in the free agency thread?

Did Blount not make himself replaceable?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
respect, love, honor, courage....things I value as much as money

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Amy Pole Her posted:

Why on earth is there a 3 page rant on employees employer relationships in the free agency thread?

Did Blount not make himself replaceable?

Sorry, this is my fault. I do a terrible job of explaining myself and probably convinced everyone I am a janitor walking around the office in a cloak and cowl, stealing poo poo off my coworkers desk. The offseason is long.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SHOAH NUFF posted:

respect, love, honor, courage....things I value as much as money

Where are a fresh college recruits quads on this list

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Depends on the level of striation, to be honest, when I rub a muscle I want to feel the ridges

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hate all of you

Eagles should not trade Kelce for Ingram

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kalli posted:

I'm also underpaid but that's mostly because I had to take a below market value job after eating a layoff in 2008 and it knocked me back by a few years (even though I've since moved on to a much better paying job)

Also I transitioned from QA to developer in the meantime, that probably helped

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hate all of you

Eagles should not trade Kelce for Ingram

No, they def should.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Intruder posted:

I'm also underpaid but that's mostly because I had to take a below market value job after eating a layoff in 2008 and it knocked me back by a few years (even though I've since moved on to a much better paying job)

Also I transitioned from QA to developer in the meantime, that probably helped
I start as a QA on Monday and I have no idea what I'm doing :sun: Maybe one day I'll bullshit my way to being a developer :v:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I start as a QA on Monday and I have no idea what I'm doing :sun: Maybe one day I'll bullshit my way to being a developer :v:

Goodluck, it's fun, just get used to saying the word automate a lot.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
My QA advice is to find as many bugs as possible no matter how silly they may be

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

my advice is so assure quality

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

anyone remember that mutant mike glennon, well he's on the bears now

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalli posted:

Goodluck, it's fun, just get used to saying the word automate a lot.

Eli Wiggum posted:

My QA advice is to find as many bugs as possible no matter how silly they may be
I automated half of my job in support because I'm lazy as gently caress and a lot of my work was repititive, and I spent a ton of my new found free time constantly getting in developers' ears about bugs :slick:

Ehud posted:

my advice is so assure quality
Ehhh now this may be asking a bit much.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I just implemented a system that takes imaging a Mac down to 4 minutes. For us to do it manually it took 45 mins.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I automated half of my job in support because I'm lazy as gently caress and a lot of my work was repititive, and I spent a ton of my new found free time constantly getting in developers' ears about bugs :slick:

Automating most of your work is awesome, i spent the last week taking all the random chunks of code my boss had in notes on his desktop and turned them into bash scripts that are soooo much easier to deploy and put them into github (which he refuses to use and its a loving pain).

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I'm happy as gently caress at my job but I also know that's rare. Also, I'm underpaid as well but not by much. I've got a plan to make up for it though.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

John Brown posted:

I'm happy as gently caress at my job but I also know that's rare. Also, I'm underpaid as well but not by much. I've got a plan to make up for it though.

Thats kinda where im at too, the company i work for is so loving awesome that im ok being slightly underpaid. Im also getting a poo poo load of training this year and my own niche position this year hopefully

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Diva Cupcake posted:

A million times this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ok no more free agency news