Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Jay Cutler is still this guy:

https://youtu.be/-DPBgqKwvDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Can he convert to guard? Asking for a friend (Ehud/Dolphins).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Durandal1707 posted:

Hasn't AP said he wants to play for Dallas before his career's over, at least at one point?

Is he ok playing backup at this point in his career? And also not getting paid a lot?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am surprised more people aren't talking about Landry Jones. Steelers are probably going to extend him as a backup, but he actually showed improvement not just from this to the last, but also as the season went on. He basically looked like a mid tier talent against the Browns in the final game, and kept the Steelers close to the Pats.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Matt Flynn and Brock Osweiler made a ton of money by looking worse than Landry Jones does. That's all I am talking about. People were talking about giving a first round pick for Jimmy G despite him showing only an Alex Smith level of talent at hitting an open guy in the flats.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

A dude I went to college with got fired from the school newspaper for a similar take (except the entire piece was "black people are more athletic because of slavery...did it open with a Chris Rock bit? YOU BET).

:iceburn:

Its actually not that far off, you just have to be careful how you talk about it. Slaves were treated like livestock, they were "bred" to make bigger, stronger offspring. The problems with that thinking though are numerous. Not all black people are descended from slaves. Its also difficult to demonstrate that on a relatively short time scale (say 200 to 300 hundred years) that the type of selection we are talking about would predominate the population in way such that it would continue to predominate without selective breeding. This goes to yet another problem with that thinking, which is that slave descendants pick their mates based on the same principles that the slave masters did. Its one of those concepts that superficially has some modicum of sense, but under the tiniest bit of scrutiny falls apart real fast.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

If you guys are reading that as anything other than a debunking of the original claims, then you need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

They just read "not that far off" which seems like a bad way to start a paragraph the directly contradicts that sentence.

Yeah, I guess I was just trying to emphasize the superficiality of that statement. Its basically an example of how a little knowledge is sometimes more dangerous than no knowledge at all. I am used to teaching through the Socratic method, asking leading questions which let the students come the conclusion on their own, even though its very guided. Sometimes that involves going down the "wrong" path and then resulting in accepting the antithesis. I won't edit the post, but I think I started down one line of thinking and switched to another, resulting in a weird preface. My main point though, to be clear, was that the idea that black people are better athletes because of slavery is one that if you think about for only a second makes sense, but if you think about it more than that, absolutely does not for a lot of reasons. Its a superficial truth, which reminds me of a quotation that is also superficially related:
"If you don't know anything about the Civil War, it was about slavery. If you know a little about the Civil War, it was about states rights, if you know a lot about the Civil War it was about slavery."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I agree that there's no actual evidence of a consistent program of selective breeding for Southern slavers. Your argument about why is specious, though.

Farmers, however, were performing selective breeding long, long before Mendel. It's not necessary to know even the slightest bit about genetics or evolutionary theory to decide to only take the offspring from the plants/livestock that have desirable traits.

Yeah, I doubt the thinking went beyond "you are big and she is big too!". It undoubtedly did happen, and records were written in a similar way to livestock, that much is fact. They may not have been efficient or correct in their selection, but it still happened. My main point is that even though this happened, it could not have happened on a large enough scale to influence the genomics of slave descendants today.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

So...uhh 1000 new posts. I know a lot of it is probably the Brock trade, but is there a good place to see a summary of everything that went down today?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Who can be had for a few tradedowns bc we don't seem too interested in signing anyone at guard.

My wishlist remaining -

Jahri Evans or Mangold
Robey from bills as a slot corner. Great inside quickness
A linebacker. I like Levy but he's mush brain

If Miami got Mangold who plays center, or are you just assuming Pouncey will be injured all year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Browns would be pretty interesting.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

fsif posted:

I do actually unironically believe that Belichick targets white skill position players because he thinks the rest of the NFL reverse -racisms them. Based on his results, I'd say he's largely correct.

hooo boy do I have a website for you!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kalli posted:

Is it the Real time with Bomani Jones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9IRJ6FHF0

Kind of amazing how many of the guys from a 5 year old video ended up on the Patriots.

Caste Sports mission statement is the the NFL is racist and whits would dominate but they just aren't given a shot.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

fsif posted:

I'm not Caste footballing, I just think there may be unconscious biases in NFL front offices that—in this one particular, very specific incident—may work slightly against undersized white players. They're still not top 20 players at their positions or anything, but Edelman was a 7th round pick and Chris Hogan languished on practice squads for way too long. They were definitely undervalued before Belichick.

You should probably google Chris Hogan before describing him as undersized. Hogan is a very technical receiver, he runs very precise routes. He needs to be in a system like New Englands, or have a very accurate QB to be successful.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Harrison also has one of the greatest Super Bowl plays ever too, so that will help.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

listen dontari we don't have 'money' per se but will you accept printed shirts as payment

"Look Dontari, we will pay you very little this year, but next year Buffalo will overpay you like crazy."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

It's good to be an NFL owner.

More like its good to be at the top 5 at your position.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Cavauro posted:

I've seen the football film and i am ready to mention the following cast of "characters": that kicker from there, the large japanese egg eater, and iron man's director

Don't forget Roy from The Office and 7-Up guy.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

I am also unretiring

Do you have anthing left in the tank? Also, you are up late for, well, you.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Durandal1707 posted:

It's not even a guarantee that Cutler ever still wants to play football anymore, from what I understand. Though yes, he'd be Houston's best option with Romo having retired.

I think he would go somewhere that isn't a total rebuild and has a shot of winning in a few years.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Higher dependency on passing game. Also, more backs that can run out of the shotgun are in the league now, a result of more and more colleges running spread formations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Why do TFFers think Cutler would be especially interesting as a color guy?

His "dont give a poo poo" attitude should provide some entertainment, especially with guys he has worked with. Cutler has little filter on his opinions of people, and its refresing to hear someone say "gently caress that guy, he sucks" instead of standard team speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sataere posted:

Terribly, because I make a point of teaching people only a limited amount of what I do. Why would I want my job to think they can function without me.

If you are that irreplaceable, then there is no reason to promote you.

• Locked thread