Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Trade tom brady to the browns for first overall or the niners for second over all, plus gary barnidge or vance mcdonald, plus some extra picks. Superbowl 2017 with Jimmy Garoppolo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

The longer they drag this decision out the more frustrating it must get for Tyrod.

They have to decide whether to exercise his option or not by March 11, 4pm EST. I'm sure this deadline has been explained to him and his agent and he's fully aware that they may wait till the last hour to decide.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Torrey Smith is really bad. I'm glad he's cut. The niners already signed Jeremy Kerley, also known as the only competent WR on their roster. I'd be happy to see the entire rest of them cut loose in favor of free agents and rookies.

Also lol apparently they're talking about mike glennon in SF. I guess, as a one-year rebuilder kind of guy, while they season a whole slew of rookies and implement an entirely new offense?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

49ers better be bringing in some other big signings, cause Cousins on that roster is still like a 3-4 win team.

The niners aren't trying to have a winning season this year. At least, that's not the top priority. They should be hiring a veteran game-manager on a short term contract to help lead and train rookies as a new coaching staff implements a new offense on a rebuilding team with an eye to being competetive in their division in a couple of years.

Dunno what they're actually doing, of course, but I think Cousins is a fine choice for now. Who else could they hope to start in September?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalli posted:

I think Cousins has had a poisoned enough experience in washington and also trashed his trade value by saying he'd only go to the 49ers, that he might get traded on the cheap which would be worth it for the 49ers.

With Shanahan, and that much cap space you have to think he can also sign maybe Pierre Garcon and some other weapons, fix the offensive line and at least have a competent offense immediately even if the defense is a trash fire.

As I see it, when you're in Shanahan's position you have a couple of options:
1) grab as many good players in free agency as you can, assembling the best win-now team you can put together, and then try to tailor an offense that those specific players can win with.
2) Grab a few veteran players in free agency, focusing on leadership qualities and experience more than playmaking ability; focus on the draft, bringing in promising prospects; implement the offense that you want the whole team to learn, and spend a year teaching that offense, training everyone on it, and not really expecting to win games while doing so.

The team has holes at nearly every position (if Hyde is healthy I guess it's OK at RB, and they're fine at the kicker position, and... that's about it) and you can't fix all those holes in free agency. Your drafted rookies and UDFAs and random dudes still on the team from previous years all need a lot of work before they're gelled into a coherent, functioning team that can beat the variety of opponents you'll face in a full season of games. Trying to make a can-win-now team by "winning" free-agency just doesn't strike me as likely to work, and in the long-run, only sabotages what your real goal should be, which is to make a Shanahan Offense that has capabilities of the Falcons (while hopefully having a better defense than the Falcons) and make a run at the superbowl in 3-6 years.

I'd greatly prefer the second approach, and I think Cousins would fit nicely into it. The team obviously needs a quarterback for the long haul... if they can draft a couple of development rookie QBs for Cousins to mentor, and in the meantime have competence and experience at the helm sufficient to focus on the rest of the offense's problems, that'd be ideal. Shanahan and the new GM being on six-year contracts suggests to me that the longer-term plan is a distinct possibility.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Even if it's officially (half) whitewashed the fans take up the slack.

On the other hand do you really want some mayor from the 50s to be the mascot? I think maybe I'd rather be thought of as racist instead of having some H Roe Bartle mascot.

Yeah but OK, so Mayor H. Roe "Chief" Bartle, who was instrumental in moving the Dallas Texans to KC (in 1963, not the 50s), was part of why they named the team the "Chiefs," but yeah I mean they still dressed up the team with native american imagery, and they still do the loving tomahawk thing in the stands at every home game, etc. etc. I expect hardly anyone looking at them today knows about "Chief" Bartle. It's just "the tone-deaf native american culture-appropriating team that is less racist than the Redskins so we give them a pass, because come on, the Redskins are you loving kidding me?"

They shoulda named the team the Bartles.
And then drafted Blake Bortles

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you get one of those $100 dna test kits that outline your anscetry they lump all of the native americans in one basket. They break down europe, asia, and africa by country, but the entirety of the Americas regarding natives is just a big circle.

My friend is columbian and i've taken to calling her an eskimo because the way the map painted her genetic lineage.

I did 23 and Me (and I have no native american heritage, which was actually a surprise because supposedly my dad's mom was born on a Cherokee reservation and was supposedly half or quarter Cherokee, but apparently not, welp) but basically this isn't the fault of the DNA testing sites; it's the fact that we don't have enough reliable genetic markers to distinguish between different historical tribes. You have to get a lot of DNA tests from people whose heritage you're sure about before you can start to identify those markers.

That said, you definitely should be able to distinguish between Inuit heritage and south American native ancestry, LOL.

Cool thing though: found out I'm not native american at all, but was surprised to find out I'm 25% Ashkenazi Jewish. It's all on my father's side, too, so either his mom or his dad was a European Jew. Dunno which, probably never will, but it's a cool thing for me to just randomly learn about myself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't live in Kansas City but I'm betting there's been no concerted effort by the team to discourage fans from doing the tomahawk.

I mean it's Arrowhead Stadium, the team logo is an arrowhead, come on. They're "honoring the Chiefs of the tribes" or somesuch so it's totally OK as far as anyone important is concerned. :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

God, that logo even has them running to Oklahoma :negative:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I get why its hard to differentiate (cause we killed all the natives) but they don't even put effort forth on sorting them.

Hmm, which service is that? I seem to recall 23 and Me being at least a little better.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No, because Texas has much higher property taxes to compensate for their lower income and sales taxes, and that cost is passed on to renters too, so actually taxes in Texas aren't much lower than anywhere else in the country.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

axeil posted:

So that Brandon Cooks market sure did dry up quick, huh?

If the Titans really did offer the #1 pick the Saints must be kicking themselves right now.

it's only 23 minutes into free agency, maybe wait an hour or two before declaring the market dried up

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

axeil posted:

Well the 2 main players were the Titans and Eagles. Titans (allegedly) offered their #1 pick and the Saints said no while the Eagles just signed Alshon Jeffrey and Torrey Smith so presumably they are out. Buccs got D-Jax.

Who else is left? The Colts? Skins?

The Saints don't have to be in a huge hurry. They could maybe go back to the Titans and say OK we changed our minds, or see if new offers crop up. There's a lot to settle out still.

Worst case scenario they just keep him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The niners have replaced reliable phil dawson with robby gould
https://twitter.com/Alex_Flanagan/status/839980636148387840

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Barkevious Mingo is a Colt. I'm glad, because the NFL needs men with names like his.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I too aspire to one day be jealous of my employees for being good at their jobs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dion Sims is a bear

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/840017372576698369

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What is a Brock Coyle? The niners have signed him from the Hawks. Just a camp body?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Who is going to hire Colin Kaepernick?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I desperately want HK to do the niners. New coach, the QB controversy, rebuilding, etc. I doubt jed york would agree to it though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wikipedia posted:

2 Seasons
2.1 Baltimore Ravens (2001)
2.2 Dallas Cowboys (2002)
2.3 Kansas City Chiefs (2007)
2.4 Dallas Cowboys (2008)
2.5 Cincinnati Bengals (2009)
2.6 New York Jets (2010)
2.7 2011
2.8 Miami Dolphins (2012)
2.9 Cincinnati Bengals (2013)
2.10 Atlanta Falcons (2014)
2.11 Houston Texans (2015)
2.12 Los Angeles Rams (2016)

e.

quote:

In October 2013 the NFL announced that, in the absence of a team volunteering to participate in Hard Knocks, the league could force a team to participate. Teams are exempt from being forced to participate in three circumstances: (1) they have appeared in the past ten years, (2) they have a first-year head coach, or (3) they reached the playoffs in either of the two preceding seasons.[8] These rules eliminated 24 teams from airing on the 2017 season. The remaining 8 teams included for mandatory inclusion into the show include: Bears, Buccaneers, Browns, Colts, Eagles, Ravens, Saints, and Titans. [9]

So, the Browns could be forced, but I imagine if no team volunteers, they just roll an 8-sided die or something so we're just as likely to get one of the other teams. Or something.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 12, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MrSargent posted:

I have been wondering the same thing, I haven't even heard any rumblings of him visiting teams at this point. I mean I knew his value was low but when Mike Glennon is getting 16m, you would think there would at least be interest.

Some team is going to have to put their trepidation about the political fallout aside and bring him in, he's too potentially useful to not get hired at all. I just have no idea who is gonna do it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also it's March, that's just holiday weight, it's not like he's reporting to camp yet. I bet he drops down to a svelte 250 in time for voluntary

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Intruder posted:

He dumped Osweiler, he has the benefit of the doubt from me for now

Do we know who came up with the idea? Because maybe the Browns just pitched to them and they went "woah we can do that? OK"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The pats can make literally any RB look amazingly good.

Remember Jonas Gray's 200 yard 4 touchdown game?

Bellicheck is a master at finding a niche use for a specific guy and exploiting that to an absurd degree. It doesn't require that the player actually be good at their position in a more general sense.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Counterpoint: Brandon Bolden

Bolden has been a useful special team player who occasionally contributes in the running game and can catch passes.

In week 4, 2012, he rushed for 137 yards on 16 carries with an 11 yard reception and a touchdown, typical of how Bellichek uses his backup RBs; mostly as backups, but when he finds exactly the right matchup, he makes them look really good for one game.

Looks like he's still on the roster and unsurprisingly so. I'm not sure if he's a good counterpoint to the argument.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is Kirk Cousins not an option for the Browns?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Kessler played well enough to get a real chance to start. I don't think he's the future but he wasn't embarrassing and could certainly improve especially with a better line in front of him.

If Washington would trade him for the #12 pick I'd do it in a heartbeat, but he'd have to sign a new contract.

OK so http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697999-kirk-cousins-trade-rumors-browns-reportedly-will-try-to-deal-for-redskins-qb
Basically looks like the rumor is Cousins doesn't want to be traded to the browns. They could do it anyway, but he's on a one-year contract so they're unlikely to want to give up the #1 pick for a guy who has already said he doesn't want to be there so would likely refuse to sign an extension and just leave.

On the other hand, maybe the Browns are offering the #12 but the Skins are hoping for SF's #2 and are gonna wait and see if that happens. Might be they'll wait right up until pick #2 of the draft doesn't go to them for Cousins and then make a draft-day trade with the Browns! That'd be exciting.

pubic works project posted:

Yeah I really don't see a bottom-5 (Browns, 49ers, Jets) team trading for Kirk Cousins this offseason when they can just get him next offseason.

Or this. The niners might be just as concerned about the one-year contract, although Cousins has said he wants go to SF so he's maybe a lot more likely to sign a long-term contract, and it'd be tremendous for SF's rebuilding prospects to have Cousins on board for a multi-year deal. Well worth the #2 and then some.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Waiting 1 year to get Cousins on the open market is not a risk-free proposition. He could have another good year and then his market will presumably be very hot. It might be cheaper to trade for him now and then sign him to a big contract, than wait and have to sign him to an even bigger contract in the middle of a free-for-all bidding war. We have no idea which 2017 QBs are gonna bust, have career-ending injuries, etc. so we don't know who all the players will be next year or how much they'll be willing to spend.

I think Cousins being traded to the Niners is the more likely scenario, but I think it's still possible the Browns go for it, even with the uncertainties we see.

e. The most amazing option would be the Browns trading Osweiler to the Skins along with the #12 and an agreement to pay part or all of Osweiler's salary for Cousins, giving the Skins the quarterback their front office truly deserves to have.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pubic works project posted:

Yeah if he is hellbent on going to SF, I still wouldn't give up the #2 for him. Just wait out the year, tank and get another high draft pick to help rebuild. Then sign him to the long-term deal.

That's the thing, though. He's hellbent on SF this year, because he wants out of Washington pronto, knows Shanahan, and knows the Niners are already one of the most likely teams to want him.

Next year, with his contract done, SF can't assume he'll still be hell-bent on the team. His options open up wide to anyone willing to pay him across possibly a dozen or more QB-desperate teams and SF can't assume their bid will be the highest.

evilweasel posted:

Its not risk-free but it's considerably less risky than the likely-firing offense of trading a high draft pick for him and losing him the next year because he wouldn't sign a long-term deal.

So get the Skins on the horn, hash out a deal, then call up Cousins and get him to agree to sign a 4-year contract if you make the trade. He says yes, you make the trade, he signs, and you're set.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Cleveland acquires Cousins in exchange for whatever
Cleveland promptly flips him to SF for whatever+Kaep
Hilarity ensues

Kaep is a free agent, right? SF has nothing to do with where he goes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tim Hightower is visiting the Niners and I really hope they sign him.

Michael Wilhoite visited the Seahawks yesterday and I really hope they don't sign him. Come on man, don't defect to your team's most hated rival, that sucks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jared Cook is inconsistent. Sometimes he's great and sometimes he's bad. This means he's bad, overall, because being inconsistent is bad: but sometimes he will win you a game, which is good, and that's better than someone who is always mediocre.

...so on balance Jared Cook is just OK.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was thinking jamaal charles, but he actually had 12 rushes last year that I forgot about, apparently.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lol the seahawks aren't getting to the SB

Anyway Lynch would be a great one-year pickup for the Raiders. Jalen Richard is looking very promising but needs another year of development behind an experienced back, and DeAndre Washington seems reasonably OK as a longer-term backup/relief guy, too. They're both solid enough that Lynch would not need to play as many snaps as he did in his last years with Seattle. It feels to me like a really good fit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They gave up more than a second round pick, too. They traded up to that pick.

gave away a third and fourth to move to the second, so he cost two picks.

I feel like that should be me tioned every time. He's not "second round pick kicker" he's "traded up to the second round pick kicker"

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 18, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The most important thing is there is absolutely zero chance that any other team was going to take Aguayo before the Buc's third round pick and probably like a 98% chance he'd still be there for their fourth. You don't just evaluate whether a guy was "worth" his pick, you look at whether you could have gotten him later.

And in a scenario where he's gone before your third round pick, you loving shrug and go "whatever" because you can get a kicker off of free agency who is at least 90% as good as any other kicker in the league. The gap between a very very good kicker and a middle of the pack kicker is tiny.

What you do not do is blow an early pick on a player who will definitely still be there for a later pick.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Intruder posted:

Read that again, I didn't say Flacco

shane falco is elite tho

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He did fine while Bell was suspended and would be a fine #2 on most teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sean10mm posted:

A 34 year old running back is a terrible gamble at anything but leage minimum. Even then you are better off just drafting a rookie and seeing if they pan out.

34+ running backs with 4+ yards per carry since 1970, minimum 50 attempts, the entire list:

code:

Rk           Player Year Age  Tm    G   GS  Att  Yds  Y/A   TD  Y/G
1    MacArthur Lane 1978  36 KAN   16    3   52  277 5.33    0 17.3
2     Kimble Anders 2000  34 KAN   15    7   76  331 4.36    2 22.1
3      Rocky Bleier 1980  34 PIT   16    6   78  340 4.36    1 21.3
4     Dorsey Levens 2004  34 PHI   15    5   94  410 4.36    4 27.3
5     Marcus Allen* 1995  35 KAN   16   15  207  890 4.30    5 55.6
6    Ricky Williams 2011  34 BAL   16    0  108  444 4.11    2 27.8
7     Marcus Allen* 1997  37 KAN   16    0  124  505 4.07   11 31.6
8     Marcus Allen* 1996  36 KAN   16   15  206  830 4.03    9 51.9

This is a pretty ridiculous standard for a backup RB. You don't look for 4+ YPC in your backup. You look for a man who can get you positive yards and not drop the ball.

In fact, please list all the RB2s currently on NFL teams who have 4+ YPC?

Here this will help:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt
there were only 27 RBs getting 4+ in the league, across 32 teams. And apparently Mike Gillislee is the best RB.

He's an older player who did fine last season and would be a fine #2 on most teams with a bellcow back.

• Locked thread