Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Intruder posted:

Romo would be great in Houston (if health-hahahaha) but I can't imagine Jerry letting that happen unless he really wants those cap savings by making him a June 1 cut

The Texans don't have a ton of cap space either fwiw

If I'm a FA QB who has made his money and just wants to win I probably pick Houston over KC though. But Denver over Houston

Denver's OL is quietly pretty bad now.

I hate OUR WINDOW IS CLOSING panic moves 99% of the tine, but if Houston doesn't jump on a FA QB then it needs to be burned to the ground. I mean, if the humidity will allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

fsif posted:

For those keeping score, Ian Rappoport said today on the NFL Network that it's looking more likely than not that the Bills keep Tyrod.

Other than Buffalo's own front office for a while there, who thought there was a reasonable alternative to keeping Tyrod?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Yet Cutler is exactly the kind of guy who gets FO's and coaches fired. Bad enough to throw games away, good enough to not be a scapegoat.

I'm always amused at how much angst Cutler causes wherever he goes. He's been exactly the same player his entire career, and his efficiency stats always hang around the league average +/- a small margin, but everyone gets super outraged that he's not something different from what he's always been.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Eli Wiggum posted:

He was amazing in 2008

His career average passer rating is 85.7.

His passer rating in 2008 was... 86.0.

All his stats that season are like that, except he threw more often than usual for him. Completion %, yards/attempt, interception rate... all his usual.

It was just generic Jay Cutler. It's always just generic Jay Cutler. :effort:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The question isn't if trading the farm for a Patriots backup QB is smart. The question is if any team is stupid enough to do it.

(Looks around the NFL)

Um...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

Where do the stats on this chart come from

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ I assume, but you can get them lots of places? NFL.com, ESPN.com, etc.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

There are teams that would benefit A LOT from league average or so QB play in place of tire fire QB play.

The problem with Cutler is expecting him to be an Aaron Rodgers "carry the team on his back every week" kind of guy. He's not ever gonna be that guy. Play decent defense, run the ball a decent amount and let him huck play-action bombs to somebody worth a crap and you'll do fine though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Owns.

And in the minds of stupid people who make hiring decisions on many teams he probably [this is the point where you need to brace for nausea] "rehabilitated" himself by being a "good Patriot."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

weird Asian candy posted:

He's so weird though because you think he should be able to benefit a team a lot...but I just don't know how much. He isn't even .500 for his career. He isn't going to outright win you any games like you said, but he sure could lose some for you with his bone headed decisions.

The Bears fielded a lot of pure rear end teams during his time there. An elite QB might have dragged them to the playoffs, but anyone short of that level was probably boned for the most part anyway.

2009 - poo poo receivers, poo poo defense
2010- OL is a war crime, still poo poo receivers, defense is good
2011 - Receivers are still all absolute garbage, defense is average
2012 - HOLY poo poo BRANDON MARSHALL, good defense, went 10-6
2013 - HOLY poo poo TWO REAL RECEIVERS but unfortunately 30th ranked defense so whelp
2014 - Defense is an atrocity again
2015 - Defense is just bad instead of incredibad, receivers gone or dead and run game fell off a cliff while Cutler has his most efficient passing season anyway
2016 - Cutler sacked at terrifying rate, receivers mostly dead again, defense bad, got hurt.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

Going from Alex Smith to Tony Romo seems like a pretty dangerous risk.

Smith is an average starting QB, but he's the definition of reliable, in a system and with talent that he can succeed well with.

Going all in on Romo could easily be an upgrade... or an upgrade for 3 games before he's broken in half. Seems like the kind of thing you do if you have a much worse QB then Alex Smith.

Romo is a gamble you take when the alternative is getting fired because all your QBs are certified trash.

You don't replace someone OK with Romo. You replace a tire fire in the hopes he lives long enough to win your enough games to have a job in 2018.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

How good Romo is now is honestly a mystery. He's old and had multiple major injuries over the last few seasons. And he was sorta of garbage when he did play in 2015, throwing 7 picks in 4 starts.

Could he party like it's 2014 in 2017? Maybe. Could he roll over and die the second his center farts on his hands? Maybe.

Put another way, peak Romo was way better than Tannehill ever was... but I don't see how you can just assume he can still be that guy.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 24, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The Hackenberg pick was one of the most nonsensical I've seen. He looked genuinely lovely in college. Like, Weeden looked better playing college football than Hack did, for gently caress's sake, and he was just a 50 year old pitcher blindly chucking it 50 times a game

Here are his ranks in JUST THE BIG 10 in 2015:

Passing efficiency rating: #8
Yards per attempt: #8
Passing yards: #9
Passing touchdowns: #6
Completion %: #9

LOL

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ehud posted:

meanwhile, the new england patriots

Are there any caucasian free agent WRs left in the bargain bin? :haw:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

warcrimes posted:

I remember everyone saying that it was okay to get rid of Jones because they had to save money to re-sign Collins and Hightower. LMAO

I remember the Lost Season of 2016 well, really killed the dream losing those two.

Intruder posted:

If only the Patriots constant refusal to pay their good players actually made them lose every now and then :sigh:

When they let Welker walk and had to give meaningful playing time to Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins it was kind of a mess... as 12-4 seasons go, anyway. :v:

I think that spawned the original :qq: LOST SEASON :qq: meltdown here.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Maybe the Chargers can sign Charles or Peterson and cut Gordon

Charles and Peterson are both over 30 and both are probably dead.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

Jairus Byrd - 31
Jamaal Charles - 31
Darrelle Revis - 32
Adrian Peterson - 32

Imagine saying all these guys would be shot by now 3 years ago.

For the running backs it would be easy, 99% are cooked by 30.

Wouldn't have guessed Revis would be done though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I suspect the Patriots trade Garoppolo for whatever the best deal is by the draft, unless the offers aren't significantly better than the comp pick he'll fetch if he walks after 2017.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ha ha the joke is Brady is gay, how droll.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

latinotwink1997 posted:

So $15m for the GOAT while Andrew luck gets nearly $25m? That's $10m extra they have for paying other players while still having the GOAT. I don't know how they'd enforce something like that, but it does seem to give an advantage to them.

Brady is also like 12 years older than Luck. That's a crazy age disparity in the NFL. In 99% of the circumstances you'd expect the 40 year old to be paid way less than the 28 year old in the NFL no matter how good they were the year before because you'd normally assume their career collapse is imminent. There is kinda no way to legislate against that.

Brady could probably get a 1 year deal for some insane sum from like half the teams in the league, absolutely - but nobody with even half a brain would give him a much longer deal that's also for elite money. Even if he has Favre's literally unprecedented durability he's only got one more top season before he hits the wall.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Vollmer to be released by the Patriots.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/02/report-patriots-will-release-sebastian-vollmer/

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

So they're just going full firesale now?

Getting an early start on the :siren: LOST SEASON :siren: talk, eh?

This is the kind of move the Patriots make every year. He's 32 and has a substantial injury history, so they're not paying him.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Really? I'd think Bennett would have offers pouring in from every TE-starved team out there. Even with Hightower not getting tagged I'd put his odds at returning higher than Bennett's.

Which sucks, because Marty was amazing and Gronkowski is too busy deadlifting train cars to stay healthy.

Bennett is almost 100% gone, so yeah. He's openly said he wants a big payday.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DNS posted:

Fruit spotted

Nah, it's not spotted, my fruit is fresh. :quagmire:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

quote:

The NFL says that the Patriots aren’t violating the salary cap, and the NFLPA concurs. Until their tune changes and that change is put into writing by Park Avenue lawyers charging $1,200 an hour, it can’t be said that they’ve broken the rules. 

So other teams could do it too, but are too stupid or whatever. Boo hoo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DNS posted:

If other teams weren't stupid they'd funnel millions into their star player's fake money stealing scam.

Since you claim it gives them some big advantage, and both the league and the union OPENLY approve it... yes?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

evilweasel posted:

once the nfl says it doesn't technically break the rules its no longer cheating

the spirit of the rules are for losers

It's really about ethics in billionaire bloodsport cartels. :colbert:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

LOL

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I don't think there is much actual evidence that slaveowners in the antebellum South - who were largely Southern Baptists with no grasp of genetics or even evolutionary theory - were pursuing an consistent program of selective breeding across multiple generations of slaves. It just seems like a stretch to think that people whose entire argument for slavery was "God said so because look at Bible verse mumble mumble" were also running this big eugenics enterprise across multiple generations.

Especially since they were breaking up families and shuffling the people between owners willy-nilly to pay off their gambling debts or whatever.

Also, kind of important, they were raping the women on an unknown but probably massive scale. Which of course throws a huge monkey wrench into the whole selective breeding idea by throwing random human garbage white people genes into the mix at random.

vvv Yup.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 3, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I agree that there's no actual evidence of a consistent program of selective breeding for Southern slavers. Your argument about why is specious, though.

Farmers, however, were performing selective breeding long, long before Mendel. It's not necessary to know even the slightest bit about genetics or evolutionary theory to decide to only take the offspring from the plants/livestock that have desirable traits.

Well thank God you cleared that up.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The "make two big people sex" idea doesn't explain how black people dominate in sports everywhere from 5'5" to 7'+ and like 140-400 lbs or something. There is no common thread there unless you're appealing to some kind of magical sci-fi conspiracy poo poo where they're breeding in some extra tendons over 200 years or some poo poo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

This makes not the slightest bit of sense.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ehud posted:

everyone blamed Tannehill for Mike Wallace's decline well who's laughing now

You mean the Mike Wallace who just had over 1,000 yards in Baltimore last season?

Or :thejoke: ?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ehud posted:

His Baltimore stats are similar to his Miami stats. He's the same guy.

He didn't sniff 500 yards last season amd his production dropped every year in Miami.

Also his catch rate noticeably increased in Baltimore.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yeah, I misread his stats and included his garbo Vikings season with his Miami seasons somehow. :haw:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Chichevache posted:

You have to wonder what inexplicable decisions in the Vikings FO led to that signing.

"Hmmmm... we have a deep threat WR with a catching radius smaller than the thermal exhaust port on the Death Star. You think he'd be a good fit with Teddy "Black Alex Smith Minus the Athleticism" Bridgewater?"

"Fuuuuck... why not?"

*Triple-checks stats because apparently I have the reading comprehension of a gnat today*

Pretty much.

Also his OL was terrible in pass protection that season (and the season before), so even if he was secretly a good deep ball passer, he had no time in the pocket to do so anyway.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

So I already admitted I was wrong... and you're still mad? :confused:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chad Dukes on CBS Sports in Washington reports that Pierre Garcon requested a trade in the middle of the season last year. The expectation is that neither receiver is coming back.

Who needs a quarterback, or receivers, or a GM who does anything?

:psyduck:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Hogan and Gillislee my god how many dolphins castoffs does Buffalo plan on passing to the Patriots

:v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

Also the Patriots and to a much lesser extent Bengals are being ridiculous about what they expect for their backup QB's. Because money for these guys isn't the problem, but trading away valuable picks is.

Like everything else involving the Patriots, it's hard to really know what they're thinking here. Do they seriously expect a high 1st rounder +++ for him? Are they just throwing out ridiculous demands on the off chance somebody will overpay out of stupidity? Do they even want to move him at all?

If I had my way they'd just dump him for whatever they could get, but I'm less sure that's their plan than I was a month ago. :iiam:

e:

Kalli posted:

Same:

Everything from gospel to country! :stonklol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

I think the stuff about Kaepernick being a problem socially is actually true.

I just don't think it's with fans, so much as with front offices and owners who absolutely hate him.

It's like he was grown in a lab to alienate lovely white billionaires.

• Locked thread