Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

they don't have a clue or a plan and have an incompetent front office, so they're probably all in on Jimmy G

They absolutely have a plan. Whether it's a good one is another story, but I am on board. The difference in talent and depth before Pace started and now is huge. Our roster is a lot better. Too bad the coaching is mediocre.

weird Asian candy posted:

Million dollar arm. 10 cent brain. Jay Cutler.

Has there been anyone in the league that has had as many "maybe this is the year he puts it all together" seasons as Jay Cutler? I mean, it's been literally every year with him lol

I don't understand why Cutler is viewed from a different lense than his peers.

QB Ratings
Cutler -- 85.7
Manning -- 83.7
Flacco -- 84.5
Newton -- 86.1
Smith -- 85.3

All the other QBs have been to Super Bowls. All are considered good enough to win a Super Bowl with. But the narrative is that Cutler is what was bringing the Bears down.

All while having a carousel of offensive coordinators and a bunch of garbage defenses. Only twice since Cutler has been there have the Bears had a top ten scoring defense.

I know quarterback rating is a dumb metric, but is Cutler really significantly worse than Eli or Flacco?

(Having said that, he needs to leave Chicago. There's is nothing he can do to salvage what's left of his career here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

He's so weird though because you think he should be able to benefit a team a lot...but I just don't know how much. He isn't even .500 for his career. He isn't going to outright win you any games like you said, but he sure could lose some for you with his bone headed decisions.

That's not true. Cutler has won games. He can absolutely blow teams up. It's just sometimes, that team is the Bears. :v:

sean10mm posted:

There are teams that would benefit A LOT from league average or so QB play in place of tire fire QB play.

The problem with Cutler is expecting him to be an Aaron Rodgers "carry the team on his back every week" kind of guy. He's not ever gonna be that guy. Play decent defense, run the ball a decent amount and let him huck play-action bombs to somebody worth a crap and you'll do fine though.

I think this is the problem. Him not being a god on the football field, coupled with having the douchiest face ever, has created unreasonable expectations.

I dunno about way better. Hasn't he been to the playoffs like once in his career? Clearly Jay needs to go to Cleveland.

Yeah. He had only ever had a defense that ranked above 20th in scoring three times since he has been here.

2010-
NFC Championship game loss. Where we learned nationally that Cutler is a little bitch for not playing football on one leg.

2011- 7-3 going after week 11, where. Cutler got hurt against San Diego (because only bitches try tackling guys who intercept them )

Caleb Haines couldn't even go .500 with a top five defense to help the Bears squeak into the playoffs.

2012 - Bears finish 10-6, but Phil Emery doesn't think Lovie can win like Trestman can, so :byewhore:

I will remain a Cutler apologist to my dying day.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

If they don't go crazy paying for him and draft a QB mid round, I am fine with Glennon. We have money to spend. Don't just Osweiler the situation.

Honestly, if they are getting rid of Cutler, I am not sure there is a better option. Tyrod is probably staying. Romo is gonna be a risk for a lot more money. This QB class is apparently weak. Glennon isn't a guy you bring in to save your franchise. He's a placeholder.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

evilweasel posted:

Can't Revis just sign a contract for, say, vet minimum this year and $6m guaranteed next year (or $3m, or whatever), or something along those lines where he's paid a reasonable amount given that he's dead but it evades the Jets getting any money back?

We will know for sure after this offseason, because if we know one thing about Revis, it's that the man makes sure he gets paid.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

wandler20 posted:

So the Bears might be bidding against just themselves on Glennon.

I can't remember. We're they acting like the Bears were going to go hog wild in free agency last year? Because all of the talks with Pace indicate that he doesn't want to put all his money on one player. He wants to spread it out.

God, if we commit to Glennon for more than one year of guaranteed money I will lose my mind.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

To me, the conversation shouldn't be about whether Glennon is good. It should be why the gently caress is everyone talking about how much bank a giraffe with no game time experience is gonna make

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

ODB, Marshall and Shepard is a pretty boss receiving corp. If they can address their oline with that defense, they could be a scary good team.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Catfish Noodlin posted:

It was a dumb rear end idea last year. The Dolphins don't have the depth to approach free agency that way- they've pretty much got to find key low to mid-end free agents and they can't narrow it down to guys who don't meet the formula.

It is the only correct way to approach free agency if you want long-term sustainable success. That is my one gripe with how the Bears handle free agency. They aren't getting comp picks in return.

Name the big free agency players with Super Bowl rings in the last ten years?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

sean10mm posted:

He might mean "free agency player" in the sense of teams that are big players in free agency?

Otherwise, yeah, there have been a bunch of individual players who were big-name free agents that got rings on their new teams.

This is what I meant, but I phrased if poorly. The list of names people brought up only illustrate my point though.

Revis - was cut, not a FA
Manning - was cut, not a FA
Talib - free agent
Ware - was cut, not a free agent
Woodson - free agent
Boldin - was traded, not a free agent

Most of those guys didn't impact the comp picks and good teams extend their own players and let the guys who are overpriced walk. It's how you stay competitive consistently.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

If they throw enough money at Cutler they could probably get him.

If they throw any money at Cutler, they can get him. Has anyone shown interest?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

GNU Order posted:

I'd really really like to know how much guaranteed but I think this is arguably Brock Osweiler levels of dumb. Less money but a bigger body of work to see and you still hype yourself into dumping the money truck on a replacement level guy

Those numbers only matter if the guaranteed money is crazy. If they are committed to rostering him in 2018, I will be mad. Otherwise, it's not my money.

Volkerball posted:

Lol no they wouldn't. Upgrading from the 32nd best QB in the league to like the 27th ain't gonna make that much of an impact.

If Charles goes to the Seahawks, that leaves the Raiders and the Patriots from AP's preferred teams who could still potentially sign him. And I don't think the Patriots are interested. Right now I'm kind of leaning towards signing him, but only if he plays well. If he's gonna be bad then I don't think we should spend the money.

Cutler does well with good teams. The two years he had a top five defense, he made the playoffs once and got hurt while en route to another playoff berth. Also, he has a great deep ball.

Cutler on Houston is what I am currently rooting for, because I want him to win a Super Bowl and shine a great big light on the Bears organization that shows he was not the loving problem.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm pretty sure that light doesn't need shining.

If you consume Chicago sports media on a regular basis, it sure the gently caress does.

Volkerball posted:

Brock Osweiler also got to the playoffs with a top 5 defense.

Lol if you are trying to say Cutler compares to Brock as a QB. Cutler wasn't dragged to his playoff appearance kicking and screaming. Cutler is going to lose you a couple games just by being an idiot. But he'll also ball out a couple games and win where he shouldn't. The rest, he needs someone else to do something.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Volkerball posted:

Well I'm not 100% sold that Osweiler would get outplayed by Caleb Hanie in a conference championship game, so it probably is an unfair comparison.

If your goal was to remind me of that game and make me real sad, you succeeded.

Apparently the wide receiver market might not be playing out to Alshon's liking and he could resign. Oh God, please come home.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Volkerball posted:

my goal is to poo poo on cutler because he used to be a bronco, and i hold a grudge for a real long time. sorry you got collateral damaged.

Nah, that is a reason I can get behind! May our enemies suffer! :black101:

This makes me sad, but I think I would rather draft a couple cornerbacks then pay that much. Although Gilmore is worth it. He's the only top tier FA I was all in on. (Excluding Alshon, of course)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

There is no way the Saints front office is this stupid.

Reviews Saints last few offseasons.

This seems legit.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Intruder posted:

He's been solid for the most part, but he had a really good season and is cashing in on it so you might expect some regression

Solid is a huge upgrade over dumpster fire, which is what our secondary currently looks like.

$19 million guaranteed is great, if $15 is guaranteed for this season. I still need to see the specifics, but if all the guarantees are front loaded, it's a decent signing to get a guy you are high on and push out the competition.

I mean, I am not excited for Glennon, but I can see the logic of the deal.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fishing with the fam posted:

QB money is absolutely stupid. The more I think about, the less angry I am about the Glennon signing assuming two things:
1) They don't act as if they have solved their quarterback problem. They absolutely need to treat the position as a need in the draft.
2) This doesn't effect their ability to sign priority free agents over the life of the deal. The Bears have a lot of cap space, so this will hopefully not be a concern like it is for the Texans with Osweiler's contract.

While it is crazy to think that Mike Glennon is making 15 million, its not my money, and as long as it doesn't impact the Bears QB decision making or FA flexibility I shouldn't really give a poo poo.

Finally! Someone sees it my way. Schefter is reporting $19 million guaranteed. If most of that is in the first year, they could realistically cut him with no long term ramifications. Any other talking point is just white noise. Wait to see the structure, than freak the gently caress out.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Nail Rat posted:

$19 million dollars is still a lot of money for Mike Glennon

It isn't my money. My concern is that they don't hamstring themselves by committing long term to a guy just because he is the best they can do right now. (In their eyes)

fishing with the fam posted:

Yeah, but I have to admit my knee jerk reaction was despair and anger. Just seeing "Bears get rid of Jay Cutler, sign Mike Glennon for $15 million per" raises my blood pressure.

It is dumb, but I put this solely on Fox's inability to deal with players that require effort on his part. And truth be told, Cutler just has to go.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Glennon has thrown like 200 passes combined the past 3 seasons

Don't take my stance as an endorsement of Glennon. I think it's a dumb move. We are essentially swapping Cutler for Glennon and paying him more. That's pants on head crazy. But as long as it doesn't duck them up for more than one year and they draft a guy, I am fine with it.

I can at least understand the thought process behind it as a short term calculated risk that could pay off long term.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ches Neckbeard posted:

See analytics tells us that if we get a really good O-line and nothing else we'll win games.

I concur

89 posted:

Could be be bullshit, but "anonymous source" says Eagles bound to reel in Alshon

Please no

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

FizFashizzle posted:

They all look the same, right?

Lol

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

On my way to the dentist. Please have Alshon in the fold when I get out. :pray:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Well Gettleman paid big money for a offensive tackle that's what everyone wanted. :colbert:

RIP Cam. The racist white fans will finally be satisfied.

They all look the same, right?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Two hours into my dentist appointment and Alshon us an Eagle. He didn't even sign a big, long term deal so I could hope for a comp pick.

I hope Kevin White is healthy and not bad. :(

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Three firsts and five seconds is pretty dope for the Browns. Hasn't it been shown that teams hit rates on draft picks tends to stay consistent? I thought someone posted a study on that a couple years back. If true, the Browns have really put themselves in a position to build long term.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Intruder posted:

I think the Browns should just name Brock their starter so they can get the #1 overall pick next year too

Not sure they need to start him to accomplish that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

evilweasel posted:

lol at the people who said the patriots couldn't get a first for him

Isn't Mary Kay Cabot the Jason La Canfora of the Cleveland Browns?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

euphronius posted:

I thought Chance Warmack was going to be a beast. What happened to him?

His parents named him Chance

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Good. It's definitely a need.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

CharlestheHammer posted:

Cutler signing somewhere out of spite is the most Cutler move possible.

Spite requires emotional conviction

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

Hey, did you guys know that Alshon Jeffrey is a Philadelphia Eagle? :iamafag:

Did you guys know thatttt? :iamafag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prgm4eKq6d4

You're dead to me, 89. You don't go messing around with another guys receiver. It just ain't right. :(

Ehud posted:

Ted Larsen (G) is visiting and probably getting a deal today, so they will probably roll with him instead of Bushrod, but other than that, I agree.

Larsen was pretty solid for the Bears last year. With Long and Sitton constantly injured, he saw a lot of playing time. It was a good signing, I was hoping we'd keep him.

beejay posted:

He could be amazing but he's got nobody to throw to. Also the defense is poo poo. Also Pace doesn't seem to be that great at drafting. DA BEARS

I've had a night to sleep on it and consume some local media and I think the move is fine. All reports say it is a one year prove it deal, for all intents and purposes. That means instead of going the safe route, they are at least trying to hit a home run at QB, while hedging their bets. I respect that.

They've addressed tight end, so between Miller and Sims, we should be all right. I wouldn't mind the Bears going after Pryor so I don't have to worry about the receiver position.

And lol at Pace not seeming to be good at drafting. Which pick from last year's draft makes you think he was bad?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm late on bitching about this because gainful employment is the worst, but how are teams speculating on Geno Smith, but ignoring Kaepernick. loving NFL.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

When he visited the Jets it was on his birthday and they put happy birthday messages on all the facility screens and made him cup cakes.

I heard Seattle did the same thing for Lacy, even though it wasn't his birthday.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Captain Narwhal posted:

I saw Ladanian Tomlinson on ESPN the other day talking about when he signed with the jets. He said his then pregnant wife made him sign with the jets because they gave him a basket of baby jets jerseys and other baby gifts.

See, that's why LDT is a hall of famer. Being able to hide that much money from your wife takes dedication

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think it is pretty lovely of the Patriots to get the title of offseason champs when they are already the regular season champs. If they go 4-0 this preseason.... :argh:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

evilweasel posted:

It's one thing for Brissett not to poo poo all over himself in the game he was thrown into by surprise and the other team had no tape on him or reason to even think he'd be playing, it's another to go deep in the playoffs once teams do get tape on you and can prepare against you.

Which Garrapolo hasn't shown either.

I think people are kidding themselves if they think that the Browns are trading any type of first for Jimmy. It doesn't mesh with anything this front office has done.

They have shown that they value cheap, controllable assets above all else, going so far as to paying a team money for one.

And now, all of a sudden, they are going to trade one of their most valuable assets AND pay a long-term contract to an unproven commodity when they could just keep the pick and save money with a different unknown commodity.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I will say this, I think the regime in Cleveland knows they need to show some progress, they can't have another 1 or 2 win season or they'll all be fired. I doubt they'll want to rely on Cody Kessler or Brock Osweiler to get them to the 4-5 win promised land. And none of the quarterback prospects look particularly promising, certainly not as guys who you can plug in right away. I think this really leaves the Browns in a tough position with an uninspiring list of free agent QB's or taking a gamble on a somewhat unknown commodity like Jimmy G.

Edit:

If you're Sashi and Hue would you rather hook your wagon to Jimmy G or one of these guys?

Colin Kaepernick
Jay Cutler
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Robert Griffin III
Chase Daniel
Josh McCown
Case Keenum
Shaun Hill
Matt McGloin
E.J. Manuel
Blaine Gabbert
Mark Sanchez
Geno Smith
Dan Orlovsky
Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder
Thaddeus Lewis
T.J. Yates
Kellen Moore
Ryan Nassib
David Fales
Bruce Gradkowski
Austin Davis
Charlie Whitehurst

The flaw in your argument is that you are acting as if only Garrapolo can secure wins on that roster. Or more specifically, that only a change at quarterback is capable of improving their record.

They took a garbage offensive line and beefed it the gently caress up with Zeigler, Teeter and Bitonio, making significant improvement to arguably their weakest unit. (Outside quarterback)

They still have a bunch of young receivers in the pipeline that will have their first full NFL offseason program.

I guess what I'm struggling with is why would an analytics based front office feel compelled to give up an asset that we know they regard highly AND pay roughly $15 plus million a year and commit themselves long term to a player who has started in only two NFL games, when we know there are multiple quarterbacks on the market who are cheaper and have repeatedly won multiple games in a season?

You are assuming that the Cleveland front office is in a panic, when their owner admitted his constant shuffling of front offices is what brought them to that point.

And Hue Jackson was supposedly very high on Kaepernick coming out of college.

EDIT: Long effort post beaten by many other good posts. :v:

Sataere fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 15, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

sean10mm posted:

"The Browns could not possibly be stupid enough to _____" is not a thing anybody should say unironically.

Jimmy G *shouldn't* fetch a king's ransom, and the Browns having a plan something like the Raiders followed to become good again would absolutely be the sensible thing to do - but NFL teams go do stupendously loving stupid poo poo to self-sabotage every goddamn year.

Especially, you know, THE BROWNS.

Nobody has said the Browns could not be stupid enough to in this discussion though. Everyone has rightly said that this type of move would be a pretty big reversal of policy for this regime. It is a valid question to ask why they would suddenly start doing so now. But if you just answer the Browns, it seems less like a reasonable outcome and more like wishful thinking.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fsif posted:

Why wouldn't you?

If you ignore the insanity around you, how can you measure your own?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I wouldn't be surprised if he is just waiting to avoid training camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

That all may be true, but the reason these gimmick posts work so well is because they come from a place of truth. It isn't your truth and the fact that it upsets you so much that you feel the need to actively avoid it should worry you. Understanding why a problem exists is the only way to fix it.

• Locked thread