Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I like the writing but I can't find the last lantern in the train/roof top sequence? Also I've looked for text walkthroughs but all I can find are LPs.

Alder fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Crotch posted:

Game fuckin' kicked rear end.

Some of these were real motherfuckers, though. I don't remember this one well enough to help, I'm afraid.

I found it but really starting to dread dreams since I don't find it fun after the few times.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

an actual dog posted:

Honestly I think most kids who drop out of college and come home have WAY more uncomfortable conversations than what's in this game. Mae gets off easy.

Do you we ever get a straight answer of Mae? I keep hoping talking to our Mom or Bea will help but not yet.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Macaluso posted:

You do eventually tell Bea all what's going on and why you dropped out. You never tell your mom but it's assumed you mention it to her after the game is over. You never get to see that talk happen though

Alright I hope it's more than just "i didn't feel like my place" and how do I open the graveyard gate?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

i agreed with RPS: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/27/night-in-the-woods-review/#comments

I just completed the game and a bit disappointed how short it was since I expected a few more days to go. Also I would've liked a few more events with Angus and all. The days with Mae were pretty linear as I only got to do one event and then went to sleep. Also I wanted to explore more places other than town centre, my home, underground place, and church during free roam. What is even that band game?

I would play again if it had NG+ and skipped the intro and dreams.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

What's Shakey-bakey? I thought it some kind of breadcrumbs or seasoning.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dolash posted:

It'd be neat to see if there are any lasting consequences for Mae. She seems back to normal again in the epilogue, the threat of supernatural grooming looks over so that's at least some of her issues cleared up. Could she, at least in theory, go back to college now? Will she really tell her parents about any of this? Bea wondered if it'd be safe for her to travel and Mae thinks she can. And of course Gregg (who rules) and Angus are moving, there's still the mortgage drama to worry about...

Mae does mention telling her parents about her problem at college. I'm not sure if she'll return immediately though but transfer to a local college so it'd be less isolating. Gregg and Angus do plan to move eventually but it wouldn't be anytime soon so she might stick around and do band practice for a bit. Then Bea will be working and I hope she eventually ends up owning the hardware shop from her father.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dolash posted:

I'd be interested to see what other people thought of what she said.

Perhaps? Bea is very cynical overall and she is only friends with Agnus so she doesn't know Gregg that well. I feel like most small town relationships are like that like Bea and Mae who started drifting apart once she left for college. In the end I think Gregg and Agnus have a healthy relationship even if it won't last forever and that's still worth it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

What game is this?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dolash posted:

I thought the ending revelation about the influence of the Black Goat (was that its proper name? I've just been calling it "the horror", I don't remember a name) on Mae's mental state didn't undermine her internal issues and struggle too much - I read it more like they'd been exploiting that vulnerability, with the nightmares being just one symptom of it, to shape her into something useful to the cult. Now that they've been cut off she's free from that influence and can make progress on getting better but she still has her own issues to overcome, including external challenges like her family's struggles or whether to go back to school or work, just now there isn't an eldritch abomination with its thumb on the scales trying to push her down a dark road.

On a related note, is Mae not meant to have visited over the two years she was away? Was she so far away she couldn't swing by over the summer or for Longest Night? There's a college town just a two-hour drive away, I don't recall hearing what she was studying but she didn't come off as a star student whisked away to a top college on the other side of the world. Alder suggested she could try transferring to a more local college and that seems like a natural fit.

I'm disappointed they didn't go beyond the whole evil murder cult issue and felt very vague. I expected to see some kind of plan for the next few months but it just ended? Also, I feel like Mae could've stayed over the holidays but you know that's not cheap either. It's possible she could've went home during the winter/summer but didn't spend much time outside her home too.

It's weird how much closed off a college campus feels in dorms unless you own a car or live nearby transportation.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I feel like a ton of questions will be answered in the sequel if there's one but now the only thing we can do is wait :sigh:

I look forward to the full OST though.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

gschmidl posted:

I think that the janitor is more than he seems -- he appears during the play as the god of the forest, and he's also there in Mae's hospital room. I wouldn't be surprised if he is what he claims to be.

I hope so because I kept waiting for the huge reveal that never showed up after the final scene.

About Mae's future: I'm not asking for 5 yr plans or anything extremely specific just a epilogue that more than you go back to band practice and make a appointment with Dr. Hank on Monday.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

The game ends with Mae deciding that living and being a person and just existing is valuable even if it hurts and even if it sucks most of the time and even if we're all just meaningless bundles of atoms and shapes in an uncaring universe and we don't matter. It also ends with her realizing making that decision won't stop her from dissociating and being a trainwreck sometimes. She's still going to have problems, she's got big fundamental issues that will be a life-long struggle for her, and she's not going to be able to fix everything all at once. Possum Springs is slowly dying around her, she has no real prospects, there isn't really any hope for a better future in front of her, and all she can do is take things one day at a time. The central theme of the game is this idea that poo poo sucks and everything's bad and we're all going to die, and the only thing we can do in the face of that is stick together and help each other so we can get through the day and maybe find something better in the next one, and that's what the ending conveys. It doesn't go any further because it doesn't have any reason to.

Ouch, I was going with sometimes life disappoints us regardless of our best efforts but we'll live. I know her town isn't in the best financial shape but they still have the mall, new grocery store, taco place, and Bea's hardware shop around. Although her Dad doesn't like his job he's planning to form a union to change stuff for the better and her parents still care about her well-being despite her leaving college.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

OST is out: https://infiniteammo.bandcamp.com/album/night-in-the-woods-vol-1-at-the-end-of-everything

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I don't want to completely replay NiTW but I hate all the facecam LPs and commentary on YT. Anyone have a complete playlisting of a silent LP Gregg route?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

precision posted:

Wait is Gregg supposed to be a dog? I thought he was a deer. I thought he even says "I'm a deer" as a play on "dear" once. I thought everyone in the game is either a Cat, a Crocodile, a Deer, a Mouse, or a Bear.

Gregg looks like a fox/coyote.

Also Mae is sturdy but I agree mostly since artist's will draw the same body type because of reasons :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Does Germ live in the woods or is his house nearby the well?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

This game is loving fantastic.
I'm guessing it has some replay value too, given that choices change dialogue and there are a lot of achievements?

Kind of? I just want a chapter select since you can only spend time with Bea or Gregg each day.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

They have a complete playthrough of Bea's route, but I don't know if there's anywhere to just see Gregg's events without commentary. Honestly, though, just playing through the game a second time isn't a terrible idea--even a completionist run goes pretty quick once you know where everything is, and redoing the parts you've seen before isn't too bad if you do it one or two days at a time.

I just don't want to redo the dreams :sigh:

Also is there another day where spend time with Gregg I've seen getting the mascot from the store, knife fight, eating at the diner, napping with him, and I think I'm missing the last ghost hunt event

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

McFrugal posted:

Well, you CAN go find your save files and back them up to redo stuff that way. They're in AppData/LocalLow/Infinite Fall/Night in the Woods/, and persist.dat keeps track of journal entries from previous playthroughs so that you can get the journal completion achievement.

Speaking of playing through a second time, I think the moon/eclipse in the dream sequences is the hole in the sky the Black Goat/Ibon went through to reach the world from the starry desert.

I deleted my saved game since there was no NG+. Is it too late now?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

eatenmyeyes posted:

You missed something when you went on the work trip with Bea.

OK I got the fixing the mascot scenes (car and apt), breaking into the society, legends, and gregg's ending at the party barn.

I actually liked Gregg's events more than Bea since they were a nice change of pace and somewhat happier. They should've let me do 2x activities in one day.

Alder fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 14, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

The Gregg version of the ending is great because Gregg is great and Mae is great and the story itself is compelling, but I think the emotional arc of Bea's story connects more strongly to the emotional and thematic arc of the main plot, and it really makes the entire game come together beautifully.

I like Bea but I feel like their friendship is dysfunctional and this is probably what makes it more realistic than 100% game friendships. I can see them growing apart in the next few years unless there's significant change in their lives.

Now that I've seen both routes I realize almost all of Mae's friends are leaving her behind and Germ is right how everyone is going or wishing they'd be anywhere but here.

"Do Mae and Bea start dating after one of the endings?
No, but they do eventually find a decent BBQ place like 40 minutes away and that's pretty good." @bombsfall

Alder fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 14, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

JuniperCake posted:

I think Bea and Mae can work pretty well as a friendship. They are a pretty good influence on each other. Mae needs a healthy dose of reality that Bea can give her. And through Mae, Bea is able to actually live a little and actually break away from her routine of work, exhaustion and self-pity. For instance, without Mae, Bea doesn't even have the confidence to go the party she really wanted to go to, despite her having other friends there (Jackie). If anything, Mae and Gregg's relationship is the most dysfunctional one in the game, as Mae is enabling him to slide back into all of his old bad habits which actually threatens his only chance to make it out of there if he gets fired and/or arrested.

Though everyone is leaving possum springs at one point or another. There's really no future for anyone there, Mae included.

Although I admit Crimes were not the best idea at the time, Gregg has a Plan to save up and move out of town compared to Bea who just ... is there. I relate to Bea more but it's frustrating to see her sink into depression and mostly remain the same from day 1 until the very end. I know her choices are limited and it's tied down to her father's store.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Mae and Bea haven't been "best friends" since middle school, the implication being that they didn't talk much at all up until she returns at the beginning of the game. And there are later revelations that would explain why Mae's memory might not be the best during that period.

I agree sometimes you just forget details about your friends if you're going through a difficult time. It's extremely easy to fall out of connection with HS friends unless you're always, always together.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I just finished this game. Sat down and talked with Gregg a lot after the fact

Life goes on, man

So does that mean I got the Gregg ending? How many different endings are there?

2 endings

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Worth the wait tho.

The only thing this game needs is fast travel and skip the musician dreams in a replay.

And chapter select because you don't do anything after going home for a few days.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Facecams ruined LPs and why can't SGF review ALL the games?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Megaspel posted:

SGF? Silly Gaming Friend? Super Gay Fart? Siamese Grief Fucker? Sunday Goon Foot?

https://www.youtube.com/user/supergreatfriend

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Martytoof posted:

My second playthrough and I'm spending more time with Gregg and I'm feeling guilty about not spending enough time with Bea. It's a loving video gaaaame, this is stupid.

I like to think that they're all alt realities and Mae is spending time with everyone :smith:

Bea mini-game would be nice but a entire game where you're stuck at a dead-end job in a tiny town would be hell. I would like a Mae and Bea road trip though.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

http://sleufoot.tumblr.com/post/159019096545

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

poemdexter posted:

GREGG RULES OK?!

Also, I modeled, 3D printed, and painted Angus.

https://twitter.com/poemdexter/status/849274760726970368

Looks cuter than I expected and I kind wish I knew how 3D printers worked for fun fan projects.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I notice a lot of reviews have difficulty with the concept of a game forcing a player character to commit unpleasant actions without implicitly condoning those actions. So, so many games are player avatar power fantasies that I guess it's just become expected. I interpreted it as how sometimes mental illness just makes you do lovely stuff in front of your eyes even if inwardly you know it's bad, which at least in my experience it really does.

I thought it was Mae's personality since she is friends with Gregg and they used to commit crimes in HS. Most of her problems with mental illness occur when she was in college and during the ending scenes. She is not a Bad Person per se but just a different type of MC than what I'm used to for story games.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

The best/worst part about Mae's social pratfalls is that she's totally oblivious to them. You'd think that some part of her brain would be screaming "STOOOOOOOPPPPP" during things like her little exchange at the college party but nope, nothing to worry about here!

There are no brakes on this Mae train :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

The Soft Girl covers are easily the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQMp86l-EMg

Not a huge fan of covers but this is better than most attempts at the songs.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zerilan posted:

Saw Kentucky Route Zero mentioned a couple times in this thread and it's part of the current humble bundle. Worry picking up for $7.50?

I tried the game but it felt very empty. Also, the text is white on black and hurts my eyes.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

vetinari100 posted:

Is Bright Harbor a stand-in for New York City? It has an ocean (or at least beaches), it has a subway and it's very expensive (unless you live in a lovely neigborhood). This would make the Bright Harbor Gazette the NYT, which would make sense as the first headline on the news app on Mae's computer (the one with Sec. of Education saying that public educatio n is like public hamburgers) brings to mind terrible op-eds by Bret Stephens or whoever.

I figured it was a stand-in for any major metro since moving to a big city seems like the most reasonable choice from a small town. I didn't get a impression of anything esp tying it to NYC in particular from any scenes.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's pretty clearly a New York-ish stand in, nice as Pittsburgh is, kids don't grow up in small dead towns dreaming to go to Pittsburgh PA, they dream of going to New York.

how about LA/SF? I've only been there once but it feels closer to dreams than NYC :sigh:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

McCracAttack posted:

Now if we can just get a physical release we'll be all set.

Eh is this just for collectors? Lately all my games have been digital b/c space limitations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/lavantdapres/status/955131908727459840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/hudubu_skgd/status/957616518161776641