Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Last night I was on a roll putting transit tubes everywhere, and I accidentally uncorked the copper volcano right next to my bedrooms. :downs:

This is my first run and I've been turtling like a motherfucker so I've got all the tech research done that doesn't require going to space. I'm thinking I should just put steel or bunker tile around it and cap it off for now. That much heat scares me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

CainFortea posted:

If you do that all the heat will still get out. Just use insulation tile.

Cool, thanks. I'm guessing I should use obsidian. The copper is coming out at 2200 degrees, and all my other materials melt before that.

... actually that brings up a question - when I'm building something like tile or pipe that doesn't have an overheat temperature listed, will the structure function until it reaches the melting point of the material I used? Or will it start to fail at some point before that?

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

My first attempt to put all my dups in atmo suits was a total failure. I thought I was clever. I arranged the bedrooms in groups of 4, with the atmo docks right outside. I assigned beds and arranged everyone into 4 work shifts so they wouldn't fight over the bathrooms and showers. But I couldn't get the oxygen to the suit docks consistently. Dups kept getting locked in because the suits weren't charged, so I had to disable the docks. With no suits, I lost a dup in the oil biome when he got scalded to the point of incapacitation, and his rescuer kept stopping to catch their breath. Stress skyrocketed. Dups started puking everywhere. Farms kept shutting down because plants can't grow under a layer of vomit. Everyone's feet were soggy from walking in puke. My angry dups were smashing machines and breaking walls, letting chlorine gas in and letting my critters out. They let my glossy dreckos out multiple times, and I lost a few when I'd wrangle them and they'd fall into water over and over because the dup was out of breath and would drop them again. Dups couldn't sleep because their bedrooms were contaminated with unbreathable gas. All of my liquid storage pits were contaminated with vomit and piss. While I was distracted with all this, my pokeshells ran out of polluted dirt and they starved to death.

I remember one moment in the middle of it all where Nikola, one of my best diggers, just sat down on a ladder and cried. And that was the moment I realized - I love this loving game. :)

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Mazz posted:

If you have any questions about oxygen production and filling lots of suits effectively, just ask; I have probably posted more about SPOMs, electrolzyer efficiency and atmo suits than any other topic in this thread, and I post way too god drat much.

Actually I think it was one of your posts that inspired my 2nd attempt, which is going really well. I have all the suits in one big checkpoint at the top of the base. It's amazing how much faster things get done when they're always suited up.

I did have a flow problem where I couldn't keep oxygen in the suits closest to the checkpoint. Looks like your setup fills those stations first, which is ... slightly more elegant than my solution. :blush:

Yeah. That was fun to build though. The broken pipes going to the right were for the oxygen overflow. I greatly underestimated how much hot O2 5 hydrolyzers would make, so instead I let the system back up and shut itself off.

I'm not seeing gas filters on yours. How is it separating the gases?

Edit: that whole mess just makes the pipes on the left flow to the right if they're backed up, without interrupting the flow.

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 28, 2019

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I’m sure there are more efficient ways to do it, but I use 3 sweepers and 2 conveyor lines. One sweeper grabs the harvested food, and ships it to the kitchen where sweeper 2 puts it in the “ingredients” fridge. I use door permissions to keep everyone but my cook out of this room so they don’t steal the food.
Sweeper 2 then grabs the cooked meals and loads them onto another rail to somewhere near the dining hall, where sweeper 3 loads it into the meal fridge.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

nrook posted:

Have you considered telling your dupes not to eat the ingredients? That's what I do, and I don't have to mess with door permissions that way. My base might be less complex than yours though, and I'm just eating gristle berries.

Other than that I have the same basic system and it works great.

I ... didn't realize you could do that. :ughh:

Over 200 hours in this game and I still feel like a noob.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Well so much for my first base. It was going well at the end, but I was having trouble with an automation so I thought I’d pop in to a new game and test it out in sandbox mode.... aaaand now I’m at cycle 35 in a new base on volcanea.

I really like how it has pockets of space biome down in the middle of the asteroid. In the early game where I don’t have steam turbines yet, it’s nice being able to dump all my hot liquid and gas in the hole.

I did have a shove vole get in the base since there was no abyssalite layer, but it wasn’t too bad.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

swampcow posted:

Holy crap, 150kg of plastic per glossy drecko. I opportunistically made a pen for them after noticing there were two in the wild.

It's gonna take awhile to ramp up, but yeah, totally worth it. I'll probably extend a cooling loop for traditional plastics production too.

Glossy dreckos are mandatory in my bases. 300ish hours in the game, and I've never even built a polymer press.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I tried out a few mods recently, and I have to say I really appreciate the Notification Trigger mod. My base is always having one meltdown or another because I'm a slob and I get distracted and forget to check something. Now I can just use automation to send myself a text alert before it happens. I get notified if my liquid storages are almost empty or about to overflow, or if my Drecko ranch temperature gets too hot for mealwood because I suck at cooling. You can use clock sensors to remind yourself to check in on ongoing projects, or do other important daily stuff:

If you use the highest alert "level", it even pauses the game when it triggers.

Next I think I'll put a germ alarm on the floor by my atmo suit docks so I remember to mop up after Nisbet gets herself stuck for the 20th time.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Has anyone gotten the husbandry skill to actually increase? Does it reset or something? I swear I saw one level up last night, but this morning it's back to 11.

I've got 2 ranchers hugging 8 incubators every day. :shrug:

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Also I gave up on my Volcanea run at the mid-game when I realized how cramped it was with all the magma & hot obsidian everywhere.

Started a new game on Rime. All my dreckos are dead :( I guess I'll have to actually grow some thimble reed and build a plastic press.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Digging the obsidian out like that sounds great. I did try digging into it to make a petro boiler, but I didn't even think about using vacuum. I ended up flooding a biome with 1000 degree steam. :doh:

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Got a drecko from the printer, and just like that I'm back in my comfort zone. Got my 2 ranches going, and 38 dreckos + 40 eggs in the starvation station. Shearing the extras gives way too much resources. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets nerfed in the future.

Also, apparently my dups are better off without me. A few nights back I fell asleep and my colony ran for 30-40 cycles, and it was ... a good thing? I did lose half my hatches when they ran out of sedimentary rock, but otherwise the colony is actually in a better place than before. No dups died, all my systems kept running, all the jobs got done, and all the loose debris on the whole map got moved to storage. Build orders are done really quick now that they're caught up on everything else. I think the lesson is that I need to stop giving so many orders and give them more catch-up time.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

The next update has a few new recreational buildings:

Sauna
Mechanical Surfboard
Hot Tub
Soda Fountain
Beach Chair

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/113513-meeps-mandatory-recreation-content-pack-available-for-testing-379337/

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

That would explain a lot of their behavior.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I tried playing the early game with no toilets and no sinks, and this happened:

It actually didn't go as bad as I expected. Mostly it was annoying having the liquid everywhere it shouldn't be. I didn't even have any food poisoning until I started using the microbe musher.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Seconding Francis John's tutorials; they helped me a lot. His advice tends to be very practical, which I appreciate. That said, I agree with others that it's ok to go it on your own and let yourself fail. Some of the best times I've had in this game were in my first few colonies where everything was falling apart.

Also you should know that the struggle for survival is really only in the early game. Mid and late game, you'll have stable food/water/power/oxygen systems going, and the game becomes more about planning, building, and resource management.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Found a gold geyser in a close by ice biome! I'm not close to actually exploiting it yet given I don't have plastic or steel or anything to contain it, but would something like this still work? I know some of the machines that used to output at a set temp are now dynamic based on input, so a lot of older 'builds' don't work anymore in tutorial videos, and I haven't touched steam power or geysers yet so I want to get an idea of what can work before I gently caress up the colony and/or ice biome with heat from liquid GOOOOOOOLD

I've used this exact design on my last few bases and it works fine. I use the versions with automation so the metal comes out at 125C instead of 500C. It's been stable over hundreds of cycles. I love the idea of the steam turbine cooling itself with its own 95C output water. ONI violates the laws of physics yet again.

The "dump an ocean of water on it" solution others have mentioned is also totally viable. Have fun experimenting with it :)

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Shumagorath posted:

Is there an easy way to designate one hand pump for food and one hand pump for research?

If you have specific dups that cook your food, you can use door permissions. Lock everyone but the cooks out of the kitchen and cooking pump, and lock the cooks out of the research pump and the room with your research stations.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Agent355 posted:

If I'm using an aquatuner to cool water for a farm then I can't use an aquatuner to cool the steam turbine, but maybe it just won't generate enough heat for me to care.

You can absolutely do both. If you run water or pee water and through the tuner, it will produce a tremendous amount of chill. Cooling a steam turbine is nothing. Until you start building tons of industry or generators, one tuner can handle cooling everything that needs it. Typically in mid game I build one tuner and just loop the coolant everywhere.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Sweeping up all the loose debris can help your fps as well.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Planting with pips is weird. They won't plant if there's over a certain number of plants in the area, and the area they search isn't symmetrical, so you can plant more plants if you go right-to-left rather than left-to-right. I think you get more planting top-to-bottom too. There are guides with the exact figures & area.

If they aren't planting, it's almost always because there are too many plants in the search area already.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Launched a buttload of rockets today ...

... and when the first 6 returned, I learned a valuable lesson: cargo bays can melt. :bang:

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Aethernet posted:

Literally only use obsidian cargo bays. What were all your rockets doing? Strip mining?

Yeah I sent them all to the same planet to try to mine it bare in one go.

Edit: which didn't work at all for some reason I don't understand. Something doesn't add up. I picked an untouched asteroid with 12 tons of material available to mine, and I sent 6 rockets with 2 cargo bays each. Looking at the starmap, it looks like I mined the whole place out. (Maximum mass 128000, minimum mass 127988, current mass 127988.5) But the rockets came back with their cargo bays less than half full. All the bays that didn't melt are only holding 464 kg of cargo. Am I missing something?

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 13, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Remy Marathe posted:

Q) Does it matter who I send to space, in terms of research on the planet, or research points generated?

Nope, research pods generate a fixed amount of data banks. It doesn't matter who the astronaut dup is.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Aethernet posted:

Never let it sit still - keep it on a loop back into the cooling chamber, and it *should* break less.

This. I use a ceramic insulated loop for my LOX, and it never breaks. If you're still getting breakage, check the O2 temperature as it leaves the cooling chamber. As long as it's toward the bottom end of the O2 temperature range, you should be good.

If you ever get enough materials to make insulated pipes out of insulation, that's when you can just leave your LOX or LH sitting in the pipes.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Azuth0667 posted:

Huh, I completely ignored farming after planting a tonne of mealwood and now I'm literally out of dirt.

Hah. Everybody does this at least once.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Mazz posted:

So the shine bug power area is a couple different things intertwined:

Shine bugs do indeed power solar panels but at like 2w a bug, so you need a way to contain them without hitting the overcrowded debuff. This waterfall trick is from the Klei forums and a couple dudes much smarter than me (mathimanican or whatever is the main dude and incredible at this poo poo). You exploit the water physics to get the permanent waterfalls which traps the bugs in the vertical columns which you surround with solar panels. Add enough bugs and you get more and more power out of the panels.

You need an absolute shitload of bugs to actually get usable amounts of power, and that's where those ranches to the left come in. Those are just egg breeding areas with some extra panels to fill in the ranch space with something useful. To the left of the ranches is 6 incubators so that I always have a replenishing supply of bugs to occupy the ranches; this is important as ALL other eggs are dumped into the waterfall trap. By setting the incubators to priority 8 (and disabling all power to them via automation) they turn into egg holders; you then set the conveyor loader to priority 6 or 7 and allow manual loading. At the other end you just let the eggs sit until they hatch, and then sweeper arm out the shells into someplace accessible. You need to block access to the egg area or they'll just constantly be picked up by dupes to be refilled into the loader in a endless, pointless cycle.

This is what it looks like when you open the available space so the bugs have 12 tiles each (this removes the overcrowded buff).

Right now I'm getting 20-30 watts per panel but I have 75+ eggs waiting to hatch; I'm also expanding the second part which should double the output of the middle panels once I get eggs in both. I'm breeding each type of shine bug currently; abyss are pointless for this trick but I need to keep breeding them until I can get a radiant from them and swap it out.

This is really interesting. I haven't run the numbers but won't you be better off sticking with plain old shine bugs? Radiant bugs live longer but they also take a lot longer to breed. Also I'm curious to see the impact to your framerate once it really gets going.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

There's also the whole second part of the game which is sandbox mode. I've spent hours and hours in there designing stuff that I'll probably never use in a normal game.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Remy Marathe posted:

One rocket's not cutting it anymore. Am I correct that with jetpacks I can both build and man/exit rockets without gantries? I have oxygen and petroleum in abundance, and really don't feel like building all those gantries and circuits.

To add to the other reply, this will work but you may have to build a temporary gantry once in a while. Sometimes your pilot will just refuse to board the rocket until you build one. I think it’s a bug.

Edit: also once they’ve boarded they won’t exit the rocket until you either build them a gantry, or deconstruct the command module.

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 21, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I'm browsing seeds looking for something different for my next playthrough, and I found an Oasisse seed with 43 oil reservoirs. (I loaded it in sandbox mode and counted to confirm)

That's 143.3 kilos/second of crude oil. I'm gonna have to re-engineer my petroleum boiler. :aaa:

Edit: or build ~15 of them

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Nektu posted:

It seems you also need the mod that increases the speedup factors.

Have you seen any weirdness when running the game at high speeds? I thought I heard it could cause some glitches.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Mayveena posted:

I am thinking of the cool steam vent!!! Thanks. OK off to the website to look for a map with a close by slush geyser :).

So I went to Tools Not Included and I can't figure out how to get exactly the map that I want for a terra asteroid. For example, I want a map with at least two cool slush geysers and a natural gas geyser and a hydrogen geyser. What do I need to put in to get some maps like that?

Select Terra, then click "add AND rule". That will give you the options as to what geysers or other features you want.

Edit: haha there are seeds with 6 slush geysers

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 31, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

It’s an exploit, but you can identify a geyser with the priority tool even if you haven’t dug it out. Select the !! Alert priority then drag the tool over the geyser. If you mouse over the alert message on the upper left, it’ll tell you what geyser it is. Easier than switching to sandbox mode.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Mazz posted:

Seems to be up to power now, ~2kw sustained. ~300 tame shine bugs active in my base in total right now. Not sure if it's going to rise any more than that, I'll keep an eye on it.

FPS wasn't noticeably affected by it, still holding between 20-30FPS I'd say, but there is a lot going on so it's not a slowdown from the shine bugs specifically. My savegame loads are taking longer and longer.

Nice, I really thought your fps would take a bigger hit.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

My latest attempt at sour gas. Yet another successful design by yours truly. :downs:

Edit: I did however succeed in making a really inefficient petro boiler:

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 1, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Cycle 1 - colony lost

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Brothgar going over the upcoming automation changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CEa5Y-bpF4

Excited about the changes. Lots of cool stuff in there. That new timer sensor is going to make stuff so much simpler.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Here's my blueprint. I copied it from someone else, possibly FJ himself.
Full Rodriguez

This one is for hydro rockets when you only want the hydrogen and you let the oxygen vent to space.
Naked Rodriguez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Voodoofly posted:

Is there a prepare carefully mod or something similar for ONI? I looked around on the workshop for a while but didn't find anything. All I want to do is be able to save a set of starting dupes so that if I roll a map and the starting water placement sucks or, most often, the game bugs out and my +7 digger becomes a +7 doctor or something, then I don't have to reroll all the dupes again to start a new map.

There's the DGSM mod in the workshop. On the dup-selection screen it lets you change any attribute to whatever you want.