Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

"game is hard as balls"

So, about that. After several "learning experiences" such as:
"What are circuits and why is everything on my base breaking? "
and
"Temperature control is nice, but the aquatuner in the middle of my base was a bad idea"

I've finally got a nice, stable base on an Oceania world with 8 happy dupes.

Only problem is I haven't found a decent source for natural gas, hydrogen or oil, and barring a lucky hatch print, I will eventually run out of coal. What I do have is a saltwater vent right above magma and two AETNs all right by my base. Looks like I'm going to have to dive into the deep end and try and get a steam turbine working. Is there a clever way to manufacture hydrogen? Or am I missing something obvious.

E: make that 3 AETNs :allears:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

haldolium posted:

can someone post a good "initial start" guide?

I've played a bit and after a while it all gets rather messy quick. I think I get the core concept alright but it's not so clear on what to prioritize after a few cycles. Like I used this guide for an overview, which states to build a "cellar" early on for stuff like transformers. It makes sense to me, but f.e. how far down should that cellar be? Does it matter if there is no oxygen for that time until I give it proper vents or should I defo build a oxygen producer down there?
I haven't come far but I don't necessarily want to start over only because I hosed up a one point. The game feels like it can be pretty soft on that end but I still like to have a good backup-readme for the first colony.

Transformers only generate 1/1.5 kdtu, so they don't generate a ton of heat, but it's a good idea to place them a little ways away anyway, if only to delay the gradual heating of the base, especially if you have any temperature sensitive plants. They don't need any maintenance, so you can stuff them behind a granite wall if the temperatures aren't too high. Ideally there's a nearby ice biome, but that's not always the case. Remember heat (and gases, which can absorb heat) rise, so putting machinery to the sides and above is probably better.

For building/mining projects in the early game, I'll usually plop down a couple algae terrariums in an enclosed room so the dupes can work with minimal interruption. They can always be dismantled afterwards.

This guide helped me a fair bit: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/08/13/oxygen-not-included-guide-how-to-ace-your-first-30-cycles-in-oni/

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 25, 2019

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Heat does not rise.

Huh. Does umm, hot O2 or CO2 rise? In the game, that is. :downs:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Not that I know of, somewhat strangely. I assume it's to simplify calculations by not bothering to do them for blocks of homogenous gas while temperature rising would necessitate modelling it per tile all the time.

Makes sense. Modelling convection would probably lead to creating an unintentional weather system, which could be kind of cool.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Haven’t played this in three years or so but I noticed there was an update with radiation and I want to see how this can gently caress up my little dudes.

Have there been any big mechanical changes? Or just new stuff.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Trip report after not having played ONI for years:

the multiple worlds is cool, I sent 3 of my dudes on a one-way trip to a hell world. Looking forward to doing it properly

Either it’s a lucky seed or frozen biomes are a lot more common than they used to be. I basically have free cooling for everything early to mid-game and shitloads of free water late-game.

Running with the lucky seed theme, got a hydrogen vent right between home and a frozen biome so I get to skip all the lovely power gen options and get free cooling for the base right away.

I forgot that water sieves don’t remove germs :negative:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 19, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There’s a decent amount of chlorine pockets so I’ll make a chlorine room at some point. Thankfully the germy water was dumped in a secondary reservoir. My little idiots did manage to infect the main water supply before I noticed, but the damage wasn’t too bad.

I unwittingly irradiated the construction crew building a wheezewort hydrogen cooler :v: might wait for plastics before I mess with uranium

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I haven’t had issues with a hydroponic germ water set-up. I can see problems arising if watering from a pitcher pump though, the dupes will probably find some stupid way to spread the germs :downs:

Update: I couldn’t find an oil biome for ages so I spent the time torturously fine-tuning a hydroponic sleetwheat farm so that it never leaves the 0-5 degree range which was way, way harder than I expected.

Now I struck oil, a cool steam vent and magma right next to each other and I don’t have the mental energy to do anything with it after the sleet wheat ordeal. I can get steam turbines, plastics and a refinery all running but every time I look at that spot I just want to go take a nap

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah I had no idea what I was getting into. The solution ended up being placing evenly spaced whezeworts, letting the water temperature equalize in 4 reservoirs and using a liquid valve to drip-feed the water. After controlling for all the other variables, it was “just” a matter of fine-tuning the placement of radiant gas pipes over about 20 cycles. I found natural gas to be better than hydrogen as a cooling medium because the temperature swings were less drastic.

Don’t do any of this.

E:

Bhodi posted:

I have my sleet wheat farm insulated surrounding a thermonullifier with a therm switch restricting the hydrogen airflow, with a radiant pipe loop and plates to distribute the cold. It works OK.

I've utterly failed at making a usable hot tub multiple times though.

This is a good idea however my nullifier is currently set up as a combo nat gas plant and refinery cooler

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 22, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

dividertabs posted:

If you're fine-tuning the exact amount of radiant pipes and liquid valve settings then I recommend using automation more.

For whatever reason I was convinced that most of the automation tools needed plastics so I figured I'd try to make it work on its own. Making things too complicated is definitely a bad habit in this kind of game :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

32 dupes :derp:

My first base was a co2-ridden hellhole because I didn’t understand heat management and kept on spamming coal and natural gas plants inside my base to keep up with the power demands of an ever increasing number of thermo regulators.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I do wish they had taken convection into account, if only because it's a pretty intuitive mechanic. Although I can see CO2 updrafts being an issue :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

Including the CO2 updraft from your computer as Unity pegs one thread on your CPU and maxes the fan speed trying futilely to cool off

lmao thanks this explains a lot

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

There is some convection - heat in gas will go up more than it does down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fD6tpJvW7o&t=333s
But it is not going to overcome element density difference

Hey thanks, this is cool.

Further update - I had forgotten how ridiculous hydrogen build-up can get after converting to electrolyzers. Going to have to automate a shut-off for my geyser at this point.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah I have an array of gas tanks for overflow but it’s reaching capacity and I’ve been dicking around instead of getting polymers for high pressure storage. Switching to jumbo batteries is a good idea, I was using small ones so I could match the charge to the smart battery. But efficiency isn’t an issue at this point :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bridges are great, you can use them to get your pipes to do exactly what you want.

In regards to electrolyze output, you’ll probably want a separate pipe and pump per electrolyzer - running at full tilt, their throughput is too much for just one. There’s no harm in producing a little excess O2 so long as your base is fully sealed and you have the water supplies, the vents will eventually slow down the flow as the area around them reaches high pressure.

You can always supplement electrolyzer water in the early game by filtering polluted water from a swamp biome. Cram a sieve in a locked room with a storage bin filled with sand, a sweeper and a sublimation station. As a bonus the sublimation station will keep on pumping polluted air out to something crazy like 150 kg per square. Run some pipes to a room of deoderizers later on and you have a massive amount of supplemental O2. Just uh, remember to have all the pipes and wiring sorted before you lock the room and turn everything on or there will be problems :v:

Gotta let the oxygen sit for a bit until all the germs die off though

I love how many uses there are for elements in this game if you put a little thought into it, it’s really neat.

E:

OzyMandrill posted:

I have gas!

Same principle but this is loving wizardry to me

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 5, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That's a cool design, I'll try it next time. I generally gravitate towards surrounding my base with a vacuum barrier and running utilities and transformers through that. Only issue is that it's kind of a pain because despite my best planning I often have to expand it as bits are added to the base.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone seems to do a lot more excavation than I do, and also a lot more stuff generally. I'm at cycle 600 and only just got a rocket launched.

Granted that is mostly because I tend to branch out a long way and have a woeful amount of time spent commuting even with the transit tubes, but even still I just don't excavate any more than I need to generally unless I'm planning to build something in there.

There’s a certain satisfaction in clearing out a biome but yeah, an extra 100 tons of granite probably isn’t worth the oxygen it takes to get it.

Now I just clear cut areas for an engineering project or if I want to silo an ocean of gas or liquids.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there any way to look up what the "active" tiles of buildings are?

E: nvm found a resource. if anybody doesn't already know: https://imgur.com/a/wwIuCi0

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 8, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Loving my "nature reserve" which is now just a tiny plot of sand filled with slimelung and pipes, surrounded on all sides by industrial machinery. It still gives me free grubfruit!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A funny thing that's been bugging me for a while. Early to mid-game, I can never get dupes to remove wrangled critters from overpopulated ranches. I have a drop-off in a pit for the unwanted creatures with priority set to 9 and the correct critters selected. But the ranchers just truss them up and leave them. Looking at their job list, moving the critters doesn't even show up and skips straight to the lowest priority, storing materials.

What's the deal here? I know the ultimate answer is automation but it's not possible at the start and I always end up having to pull diggers off to kill them instead.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'd bet your drop off isn’t in an enclosed room. If it’s not, its room is “the rest of the world” and they won’t use the drop off point if the “room” it’s in has more than 20 critters (or whatever you have the drop off set to).

Dunno-Lars posted:

You can solve that by putting screen doors around a drop off point (edit: sides and top), then set the doors to open. The critters should walk off, leaving less then 20 in the room most of the time.

Automation and evolution chamber is the long term solution to overcrowding.

You can also have the critters delivered to a room with doors as the floor, which you can then open manually or automatically to drop the critters down a floor, making room for new ones. Critter sensor set to 19 critters should be enough to automate that.

I fixed that but I had told some dupes to wrangle a bunch of hatches and I guess that messed with the AI because they didn't prune the herd so long as there were already some tied up? Weird, but the problem fixed itself after some cycles.

Re. heat problems - there's early game starvation but also the fatal mistake of putting a bunch of aquatuners and thermo regulators in the base to keep things under control :v:

I've found it pretty easy to maintain a cool base just by using wheezeworts to cool electrolyzer output. A hydrogen loop or the 02 itself keeps things below the 30 degree mark without needing extra power and they aren't conductive enough to require much fine tuning beyond changing the number of wheezeworts or changing some pipes to radiant/insulated

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 1, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

Some unintuitive physics that becomes very relevant in this game: water carries a lot of heat.

Like, 2 liters of boiling water is more embedded heat vs room temperature than a liter of molten steel, even though the steel is about a thousand degrees hotter.

And, conversely, a relatively small amount of cold water can cool down a lot of things. It's just a fantastic radiator fluid all around, unless you need something colder than 0 or hotter than 100.

This is kind of late, but water is so drat effective at heat exchange that it can stop plants growing. (And give the entire colony the sniffles :v:)

I don’t use it for base cooling until late in the game. A hydrogen loop passed through a
nullifier or wheezeworts generally normalizes at a good temperature for crops without needing an aqua tuner. Easy to get a loop running as soon as I’ve made a SPOM and some oxygen masks, then I don’t have to think about base temps until sometime after steel production and plastic production is sorted.

But this is also a playstyle thing - I think it’s a neat challenge to solve problems in the most rudimentary way possible.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

you saying this makes me realize that I should have put a smart battery by each major power generator with their own thresholds set instead of the giant battery farm of them that I currently have

Yeah, eventually you’ll end up with a series of different power generator failbacks.

The annoying thing with smart batteries is that their charge capacity doesn’t line up with the other batteries.

There’s ways around this with atomization, although it’s mostly done for the sake of appearance. Batteries bleed a tiny bit of energy along with producing heat, so it’s better to rely on automating multiple back-up power sources and not keep too many batteries charged.

E: can also cool the SPOM’s oxygen but piped hydrogen is nice because it allows fine-tuning the cooling instead of making the base really cold around each oxygen vent. And you’re probably going to end up with more hydrogen than you know what to do with.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 1, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Always wanted water wheel power generation, so you could pump water up higher as a battery.

That would be cool as heck.

I always wanted thermodynamics, AKA hot gases rising. Until someone pointed what the consequences of uncorking a CO2 pocket in the lava biome would be.

Or if you're like me, accidentally opening up the coal generator room while re-modelling.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

With a little experience you can also immediately YOLO down to lava with mealworms and oxygen masks to get a oil-cooled refinery and then plastics/steam turbines. Massage table probably a good idea, medical bay entirely optional.

I like taking care of my little dupes though :3:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Suggestions for leveraging a carbon dioxide geyser that emits at -55c?

Renewable co2 is of course useful for pwater or slicksters, but it's technically a heat deleter, even if co2 doesn't have much thermal mass.

E: Might make an air gap around the base and pipe it there for the time being. Should be an effective insulator until I decide to what to do with it

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 3, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The hermit isn't doing so good

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’ve never bothered to retain natural tiles inside the main base- it’s a hassle when I’m going to be remodeling, changing wiring/plumbing multiple times as well as temperatures fluctuating in the early-mid game.

I kinda want to build a new base around the teleporter this time and then it’d be a lot easier to create an optimal transport flow incorporating a nature reserve. Just need to scale up to plastics first

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 6, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DreadLlama posted:

I have one of those. Piped it under the kitchen. It will keep things fresh.

Hey, this is a pretty elegant use of CO2! Using the vent to cool and having the space double as a hatch farm is a nice combo.

I get the the point others said though, it's not exactly providing much in the way of gains compared to just about any other vent. Still, it's interesting to puzzle out what I can do it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hellevator, Terraria style. I like doing a 7 block wide shaft, ladder in the middle and individual ladder tiles on the side every 5 tiles. Keeps the dupes working instead of logjamming and running off to do other stuff plus it preps the area for easy excavation later. Think I got it from Francis John's videos. Worth avoiding ice biomes, so the cooling and water is easy to access later.

Although if you find multiple natural gas or hydrogen vents, it can be worthwhile to get them running as well as some basic automation before digging for oil.

I think sandbox mode can be enabled via the options menu?

E:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Does your starting asteroid have dreckos? If so, ranch them.

drecko ranch is a good idea, plastics are a pain in the rear end to cool

Dunno-Lars posted:

Nice job, you should be proud tbh.

That bit took me like 2 years

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 6, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh dang, truetiles is working again. An update broke it a while ago. Thanks for reminding me, thread!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Playing with an airlock mod for the first time and it kinda feels like cheating? But also in hindsight it isn't really helpful outside of some industrial applications, like farming dreckos. Filtering out chlorine or whatever from the living area is pretty easy by the time that it starts to become a problem

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Xerol posted:

-Gas reservoir buff means you might not need infinite gas storage for some things (like a natural gas geyser).

This could be neat for the early game. Although knowing myself, I'll just end up building infinite storage chambers crammed with reservoirs for maximum fart supply.

E:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I do think it's weird that liquid locks work but airlocks don't work the same way. It's like, do they want you to solve the problem of imperfect airlocks or not? In my mind it is absolutely "cheating" to use a mod that makes them perfect. Those random pumps you need for little things end up being a real drain on resources and force you to confront issues like coal shortages earlier, but liquid locks are basically "cheating" in the same way. They work via the game's mechanics but they similarly let you ignore a problem that is more interesting solved.

If it were up to me I'd make a bit of gas bubble through liquid locks when a dupe crosses them, just enough to bring them to parity with a reasonable but imperfect airlock. I think it's reasonable for them to behave the same though - it's annoying that liquid locks are perfect and the only real tradeoff is "they are fiddly and annoying to place compared to airlock doors". The "wet feet" debuff just isn't enough to counteract it. I definitely get using the mod for that reason.

Yeah, I decided to try the mod out because liquid locks are annoying to set up and their odd shape makes it inconvenient to build into a compact base. I guess it's just as much of a cheat, I'm just slightly more likely to use modded airlocks in some situations.

My environment suits are always in hallways with a couple deodorizers and a pump/filter, which takes care of most gas intrusion.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

New game. Started right next door to a water geyser and a hot steam vent. I guess H20 isn't going to be a problem this time!

I don't know what the odds are, but I've never even found a water geyser before, and hot steam vents just once or twice.

E: oh, the mandatory cool steam vent is just past the water geyser :v: