Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Double check if they are DLC compatible, then get the mod-updater mod to force an update. It's Steam being Steam really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

One way of getting rid of heat without using steam turbines is injecting it into a gas or liquid, then dump it into space. You waste resources though, but it works.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

You can also have dupes run on wheels until you get your first solar panel, then use that to power the glass forge. After the fourth solar panel, it can run all day. Until then, just hook a battery and/or a wheel to it.

I would only use the power station when you get access to huge amounts of lead, as it eats 25 kg of refined metal every 3 days per generator.
Been a while since I used the power station and I can't remember if you can specify the type of metal it uses. If not, put a storage container with 1 ton of lead and a sweeper next to the station.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

And if all else fails, just use the tepedizer or whatever it is called. It is surprisingly effective at generating heat.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Samovar posted:

I am a dummy. I'm trying to use air traps to capture the shinebugs to put them all in one room to generate radbolts, but I can't get them to work. How do they function?

No idea, but seal off the place they are in as good as you can, then put down a critter drop-off in the room and set it to 0 animals. Your dupes will then round them up for you.

Edit: https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Airborne_Critter_Bait
They don't catch them, only lure them. I guess you are supposed to build it where you want them to end up?

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 12, 2022

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Berry mush or something named like that does not expire, so is the perfect food.
Instead of the o2 diffuser and the electricity infrastructure, you can just fill a storage with oxylite, and it will fill the place with oxygen. If you leave it at the floor and a co2 packet goes over it, you will eventually overpressurize the room, popping eardrums.

Fakeedit: You can use this to basically never have to remove co2 if you can live with your dupes having constantly popped eardrums. Put 20 tons of oxylite in there and it will eventually off-gas into hundreds of kgs of o2, which is going to last a long time and keep the co2 as single layer at the bottom for a long time.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Long term or medium term?

For medium, coal generators hooked up to smart batteries with automation wires, along with ranching hatches will last a good while.

Long term you either want to harness all the magma in the core, nuclear or make a petroleum boiler. Sour gas boiler is another option, but you have to be a bit crazy for one of those.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

The SPOM needs babysitting because the excess hydrogen is never enough.

Never enough for your main grid, or to keep the SPOM going? Cause the SP stands for self-powered... You are doing something wrong if it does not produce enough energy for itself.
Post a picture of your SPOM if you want help figuring it out

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Xaiter posted:

It's way, way more performance friendly having a bunch of separate, smaller maps calculating almost independently. The base game really chugs once you start making large systems that span a quarter of the map and 1000 tons of regolith is piling up.

I have some bad news for you... All the planets are on the same map, you just can't scroll to them. Aka they are side by side. You can sometimes see things happening on the next planet over off the side, like critters doings things.

They have done some great work optimizing stuff and the game runs really well considering all the poo poo happening.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Ice temp shift plates or conveyor rails is good ways to melt ice. Smart storage locker (the ones built by metal) on a metal tile will also conduct more heat.

But for you, it's just the mass, it takes a long time to heat up 3 tons of ice.

As far as hot water into plants, yes, that works, but the water will be sitting in the hydroponic farming tile and heat up the area. So you will have to cool the area down anyway.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Xaiter posted:

Would this be a good place to try the metered water valve hooked up to a day sensor? Feed juuust enough water for all the plants for a day.

You would need some extreme pipe spaghetti, or else the first farm tile in the line will fill up before it lets any more water past it

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Shove vole farms? Did someone mention shove vole farm?!

147 critters in that place. I have 150 or so slicksters somewhere in the same save, but those were just for getting rid of the massive CO2 problem I had. Ended up just freezing all the CO2 solid, so I have 112 tons of it now.

Slicksters. Just the overflow of the ranched ones.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Sweep out all the eggs using auto-sweepers and conveyors. Send the eggs to the kitchen and just have the dupes fill the incubators manually. A max size stable can have 8 critters in it btw. You might want to sweep the drecko eggs into a room filled with hydrogen and some shearing stations, and just let them starve off.

If you create a small dip with a pneumatic door ontop and fill it with water, then put the conveyor output in there, you can automatically evolve the eggs into meat when they hatch. Also called an evolution chamber if you want to search for it.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

It is a single player game, do whatever you want and laugh at people who try to tell you that you are cheating or playing the game wrong.

That airlock mod sounds pretty useful, it's basically a pneumatic door and visco gel.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Travic posted:

Any tips for improving performance? I'm about 650 cycles and things are pretty slow.

Reducing pathfinding, cleaning up the map with a big sweep into either storage containers or dropped into a single spot using the item dropper set to sweep only, cull excess animals (not an issue for you) and finally, get a better computer sadly.

If you are playing with the DLC, remember that all the planets run in the background, so the map is actually huge.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

The liquid CO2 can be pumped using a tiny pump and some strategic piping to soak up some heat, then dump it into space. Tiny pump so it's 1 kg packets which can't turn into gas in the pipes.

Of course, the SPH and thermal capacity of CO2 is really bad, but it's cheap cooling.

The downside of using conveyers to clean the map is the limited throughput of 20 kgs per second. Making a hole at the top of your thing (you can use a pneumatic door that is locked if you don't want a gap) and putting one of the automatic dispensers with a sweep only command would help out if you need an area cleaned faster.
I do like the setup though, looks nice. (Trugas design)

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I just build a shitload of gas tanks in a huge, hideous room off to the side without doing any calculations beyond going "this is obviously way bigger than it needs to be." Why bother being clever or efficient when you can brute force a problem in the stupidest way possible?

Remember you can use the room the tanks are in for storage with a high pressure vent and two gas pumps (for a full pipe).

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

That sounds excessive and also correct. Remember again to use the room itself for storage as well, it is another 20 kgs per tile.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

I can't imagine this game if you had to keep hydrogen and oxygen separated to keep them from violently turn into water. Could be fun the first time though.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Doubt it, but emptying that might be super interesting.

In the end, the game just runs slower late game and the only fix is to throw more performance at it.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Travic posted:

Is it better to cool off the oxygen that's coming into the base or to just have cold water pipes running through the base?

Or maybe both now that I'm thinking about it?

It doesn't really matter as you have to remove the same amount of heat from the oxygen anyway. And you likely have to cool down the base. Pretty sure you can pump hot oxygen into atmosuit docks without having to cool it down with no penalty.

oh jay posted:

I somehow found myself almost entirely reliant on my geothermal power plant / water purifier. And a thousand cycles later, I only had 20% of my magma biome left.

Are you Francis John or do you watch him? Cause that design looks very familiar.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Smiling Demon posted:

Rads are also required for the interplanetary launchers, allowing you to fling payloads from planet to planet without using rockets.

Edit: There is also a special building on one of the outer asteroids that requires immense quantities of radbolts to activate. Needed to technically "win" the game. This is not something you do on your home asteroid though.

And for the truly insane, radbolts allow you to destroy neutronium. 1 radbolt destroys 1 gram of mass in any natural tile it hits. Most neutronium tiles are 20 tons, so this isn't exactly practical.

What happens if you destroy the border walls?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Remember that you don't need a full industrial setup right away, it is ok to heat up a pool of water a bit to make the steel required for the full setup. Even a small pool of water can do quite a few runs through the refinery before it becomes problematic. And if you don't have refined metal for 2k wires, just use 1k wires and repair them as required for the first batch of refined metal.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

I think it's only aluminium and copper you can get away with a single turbine. Maybe also gold. Actually not sure on the copper one, it might overheat eventually.

Instead of the oil, you can just dump a full layer of water in there, aka 5 tons or so. The pressure per tile have to be under 800 kgs or something wild for the volcano to erupt.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

You can fix this rather easily by extending the pipe that puts hydrogen into those tanks and sending it into one or more hydrogen generators. Either hook them up to your main grid, or to a lamp. None of the pumps in a SPOM can ever stop or it will break.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh all of those tanks ARE hooked up to the generators bro lmao

Of course, sorry. I just automatically replied as if you were asking for help, not actually looking at what you had going.

beyonder posted:

Just had a colony implode. Game crashes after couple minutes

Rest in piss, Not Optimal Circumstances. You did well

Edit:

Isn't that map bigger then normal maps, or am I mis-remembering the sizes? Also, can you post the save game? Maybe it works for someone else!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

beyonder posted:

I use Neon Eden for the map size. Would upload but no one wants to rejiggle their mods, there's a lot of those required

You might want to try loading the map with no or very few mods. It's likely that one of them is breaking the save and crashing the game for you. If it won't load without mods, then no need to upload it, as you are correct about rejiggling mod order.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

A loop of some liquid in radiant pipes will do this for you. Also would literally be a circulator. Use bridges to make it go around.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Just burning the hydrogen even if the power is wasted is also ok, and same with dumping the oxygen into space to keep the hydrogen flowing. You will most likely have plenty of water anyway.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

A very interesting sour-gas boiler design?

Interesting because of the thermo regulators.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Post a picture and we can tell you what went wrong.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

In a previous game, I placed a block of diamond tiles under the rockets which I then circulated hydrogen through into a steam chamber. I had a bypass valve to keep the temperature under 200*C inside the chamber. Free power and "cooled" down all the tiles to a nice and cool 800*C on average. Had fewer melted tiles after I installed this heat spreader-cooling system.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

HolHorsejob posted:

I liked to set tungsten mesh tiles under rockets and make a chamber full of germ sensors to melt (germ sensors are mostly plastic but melt to metal, handy if you're missing metal volcanos)

That is amazing. Turning Dreckos into metal in a very ONI way.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

You can probably cool it all by adding some backing plates (can't remember the name) and then release some gas there to soak up the heat before disappearing into space. Basically create a flow of co2 or oxygen past the wires and stuff that is melting

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Rescue Toaster posted:

My last run had the everything-is-office-mugs bug. Every single space artifact, from any space POI, was always office mugs. Even the first visit, even if you only had one artifact thing on the rocket, office mug, every time.

Also my last run by cycle 1000 was laggy as hell, even got to the point where any planets I visited and wasn't really using I'd manually paint over the whole map with 1kg tiles of refined carbon and destroy all the extra debris at the bottom of the map, kill all the critters on other planets, etc... the framerate would be not TOO bad, but the dupes would stand around forever between tasks. The game performance needs massive work still.

Jetpacks also cause massive amounts of lag because of the increased pathfinding. So if you are using any of those, remove them and performance might improve.

Having hundreds of critters stashed away somewhere, like fish, will also cause a lot of lag. You can mitigate this somewhat by keeping them in a single tile. Land critters can be kept somewhere with 3 tile high walls on both sides. If you use the screen doors instead of walls, dupes can reach through them for whatever product dropped.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

whatup nerds

Should have heated it up to 420*C

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Use the refinery.

Start with petrol melting lead, then go from there.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

You can see how much the temperature will increase in the window where you put in the number of batches you want. Hover your mouse over the heat.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Run a loop of regular granite pipe through your base with some kind of water. Cool this using a aquatuner and steam turbine. Base cooling solved forever. Remember a pipe temp sensor before the aquatuner set to 35*C or whatever you want.

No need for radiant pipes, it will equalize the temperature eventually. Other minerals also work, I just recall granite having good properties and might be wrong about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

A ton of alternating diamond tiles (other solid tiles work) and temperature shift plates from a body of water with a tepedizer (sp?) in it will melt an ice biome very fast.

Temp shift plates in a line won't transfer a lot of heat/cold, but if you alternate with solid tiles, it really gets going. Diamond is the best.