Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Gas stuff doesn't work right at the moment. The vents back up constantly.

I've had no trouble with stress at all so far which seems odd and temperature has no effect on anything that I can tell. A coal generator sitting at 950 degrees right next to a cooker at 530 - nothing happens and the other crap next to them stays at 23.

The game has a lot of promise but right now it's not functional for a full session. Starting games and watching them scuttle about till they all die is fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

How big are the rooms your coal gen and cooking station are in? I had a 3-tile-high farming row and the floor lamps were enough to boil the surrounding water to steam, so I'm pretty sure temperature is either broken or buggy.

It's a like a set of bookshelves. All rooms are 3 tiles high (the max reach of the builder things).

Behold my polluted rabbit warren. I switch the coal gen on/off by hand to keep the filth down. It doesn't seem to modulate its output when the batteries are full.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

Oh god, not a single gas permeable tile in sight. You've got so many gas pumps to collect the random floating hydrogen. If you added gas permeable tiles, it'd all eventually float to the highest point of the map, you could make a little ugly pocket at the top of your base and have just a single gas pump there to pump the hydrogen into the generator.

Pfft, it kinda floats up the ladders. Good enough. I was going for a sealed room with the airlocks but I couldn't see a way to lock them closed - the plebs just wander through whenever they like.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I played this again for a few hours after seeing it patch recently but I still struggle with the same part. Going from the early game chaos just getting things done and a planned layout makes me sigh then quit. Water's over there, power over there, I need a whole new access shaft, pipes all over, leave space for the heavy trunking and so on.
All my saves were too old so I made a new one and I'm at cycle 18. I have a real soupy mix of CO2, natural gas not much O2. I just got electrolizers but the power and water are on opposite sides of the base. I'll look up some pictures and see if they can make the transition before they all suffocate (again. I'm not good at keeping them alive).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lorini posted:

How did you get Natural Gas at 18? Hopefully you didn’t choose a flatulent dupe.....

Also if you use coal generators power is wherever you put it.

Now you mention it, at least one of them yes. I took the starting 3 and chose whatever from the ones that come. I take it I should be more picky?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

temple posted:

re: air sounds like you dug out a co2 patch. dig down and up so the co2 has somewhere to go
one thing i stress on here but people kinda ignore it is pressurizing your base. build up a lot of o2 and other gasses get forced to the extremes of your base. you do this by making your base tight and with hard doors (manual or mechanized). this will keep your base nice and blue. co2 and any other gas will get pushed up or down out of the way. i accomplish this with doors and algae deoxydizers on moderately high priority. i do micromanage turning the deoxydizer on and off to conserve algae. later, i attached atmo switches to them to make sure they maintain constant pressure. making electrolyzers is usually later in my base.

Probably. I started again and I'm trying to avoid opening the CO2 pockets till I can deal with the stuff. With 13 algae farms and 5 dupes I finally make more O2 per cycle than they use which is something I kinda ignored before.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I rejigged that game once I got the tech for it. I laid out a room with a coal burner, a hydrogen one and pumps/filters. Pipes from the water, to a CO2 scrubber and to the barracks where they could barely breathe any more. It took the lazy slobs 3 cycles to build it all but it works Igor! The coal gen CO2 goes to the scrubber room way down the bottom next to the green piss water sump. O2 goes to the barracks and hydrogen is sent to the H2 gen. I have 2 farms left dealing with waste CO2 and will dump them once the scrubber makes a dent in the mess.

Is there a way to stop generators when the batteries are full? It seems to waste a fair bit of fuel.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
This is the furthest I've gotten so far. The other times I've tried playing I lost interest way earlier. I finally finished moving power crap around so I have no more overloads. The hydrogen power at the top always runs if it has power, the coal only kicks in if the battery drops to 20%. Water to polluted and sieving back to clean is done. Loads of space cleared.
What should I tackle next? Farming? Ranching?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lorini posted:

I would do bathrooms and set up a greenhouse for your blossoms.

Yeah I was looking at that next since I have everything ready for them. Lavetories, showers (or are they useless in this version?) and sinks - it's just a case of picking a spot and plumbing into the existing pipeworks. The greenhouse is almost ready to go up the top.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

Light is only needed for bristle blossoms. You can deconstruct all the other lights - they don't do anything except generate heat for no reason.

I thought they helped with dupe stress too?

I built a bathroom area and ran into an odd plumbing feature. If you just run a pipe across their outputs, it gets blocked for all but the first. If you run them all up or down to join a common pipe it works as expected.

I read something about hatch farming for coal, I may give that a try as I have researched ranching stuff.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Carcer posted:

Can you give us a screenshot of your base in temperature overlay? I suspect things might be getting hot.

Secondly, where is the polluted water that you're sieving coming from? If its waste water from your toilets you might have a severe germ problem on your hands.

Yes I'd noticed the right/top right portion of the space was getting warm. I'm researching insulating tiles at the moment.

And yes, it's the toilet, sink and everything else polluted water goes into the one sump. My water has germs in it (I looked) but that's probably also due to a spillage while re-jigging bathroom pipes that dropped a few kgs of polluted water into my water tank. I can get chlorine easily if dropping that into the water would help?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Is it just me or does the germs thing seem rather incomplete? There are too few ways to do anything about germs and conditions. Like more sterilization options, ways to clean fluids and so on. As it is now if you don't know in advance (like I didn't) one spillage has pretty much destroyed my colony. Germs are in the only water I have access to and there seems to be no way to do anything about that. I hope they add things to flesh it out later. Plus more medical options to fight food poisoning or diarrhea would be useful rather than just have to put up with it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lorini posted:

I feel that germs are just a way to cheap out on adding content to the game so I don’t play with germs on.

How can you do this? The only setting I found was giving them super immune systems so they can't catch diseases. I started a new game with that on and they still get diarrhea etc. Or at least it says they do and they get a toilet time modifier.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

Yes. They spent more than 3 months on the germs update, and the resulting content was lackluster and made the game much more tedious. So they changed course and also came up with the current release cadence.

Germs do have potential though. I'd love to have them play a role in industry, for example in food production. Just like yeast is used to ferment stuff IRL, germs can be captured and used to make specialty foods maybe. And if they do add genetic engineering as an end-game tech, then stuff like gene-editing can be powerful. Imagine taking slimelung and editing its genes so that inhaling it gives your dupes the ability to breathe otherwise unbreathable gasses for instance. There are a lot of possibilities.

I agree. At the moment though they're a pain in the backside and a trap for anyone playing for the first time since that update. I started a new game with immunity at max so I can just ignore it all for now and get a handle on the rest of the game.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Yeah I fixed my colony by digging out an entire new tank, filling it with pure water and only feeding showers/sinks with that. 2 dupes came down with food poisoning but I had built a med room by then and the pharma chamber fixed them.
The other germy tank is now empty though and heat is bad enough that my bristle farm stopped working. Plus I have no coal left. The cold water geyser I found won't start again for another 26 cycles - that was a rude surprise when I analyzed it. Even if you find one and your scientist gets it looked at you have to wait for the drat thing to go active again.
I found a natural gas geyser but by the time I get there and analyze it, if I have to wait another 40 cycles for it to activate I'll be waiting in the dark. I've been too scared of the slime biomes to go into them. I carefully grubbed out some gold amalgam then left it.

One positive thing though, I noticed a glossy drecko egg and grabbed it before it hatched. I read about farming those for plastic. I'll read up on ranching next and try to farm hatchlings for coal. A desperate measure but all I have left. Research is finished too and I found the entropy nullifier.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I just go with a decent sized germy water tank now I know a bit more. It can be used for hydroponics too and the plants don't seem to mind the germs or have them in the produce. Plus I can let biome water melt into it or pump green water from places I want to clear in there.

The game I was playing went into a death spiral at cycle 99. Dupes starving, the place too hot to grow anything, coal gone, no water left and too many sick to do any work - a right old mess. I went back to the save of cycle 91 and with pumping some reserves around, placing ice containers and I set a cooling loop from the ice biome back to my farm area then back to the ice biome. I added a pump to the return leg carrying away hot oxygen so the biome becomes breatheable and carry heat off. It's a piss poor solution but it'll buy time to fix it properly. And also crucially time for the geyser to become active.
That's going to be a problem all on it's own though. I need to get more wheezworts and lay out how to cool the water before pumping it or I'll just make the problem worse.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sage Grimm posted:

Alternatively leave out the wheezeworts by heat exchanging the vent water with your poop water, then supplying your fertilizer synthesizers to 'delete' heat in excess of 50 degrees Celsius.

Reading up on cool water geysers, it'll come out at 110 celcius. Dropping that to 25 to use (any higher will just make my central area hotter again) the wiki recommends thermo regulators but I don't see how that works. Nothing destroys heat, it's all transfers so won't the regulator just melt after a while? Or does ONI break with real physics at some point? There's also the entropy device, it's very far from the geyser but would that be a good way to dump the heat?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

insta posted:

Also, only cool the water you need to. If you can get the steam to condense, stick a pitcher pump in it for your research, and a liquid pump in it for your electrolyzers. The downstream water going to your farming tiles needs to go through the chillers, and that's it.

I finished all research. I have a clean water sump, a germy sump and a polluted sump. The main reason I want them to be coolish at the least is because otherwise they'll make my already hot base even hotter. I built it all without insulating pipes or tiles which is why it's so drat hot. I'll play the one I have a bit longer to work with geysers a little but the new game I started is going to be my focus. Insulation for everyone!

That power setup is nice but while I have the research done, I don't have the materials for anything like that. Metal is getting low and I need to raid other biomes for it soon. What's frustrating though is the little sods run all the way out to the work area, hit a single rock then scamper all the way back. No damnit! Do some other poo poo while you're there!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

1337JiveTurkey posted:

See my previous stuff about polluted water but the gist of it is that polluted water has about 43% more thermal energy than clean water at the same temperature. Filtering polluted water ignores conservation of energy and just turns the stuff clean, possibly at a lower temperature than it started at to boot. So if you transfer enough heat to drop your clean water from 100 C to 2 C (6 passes through a thermo aqua tuner) the same mass of polluted water will heat up only 68 C. Then you filter the polluted water and most of the thermal energy just goes poof.

I get you now (and some of what I was reading said the same). Plus insulation round all the hot things so I don't slowly roast.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

Hoping for some more good content in this Thursday's patch preview.

I hope they add room templates that you can create and save globally, so that you can just plump down the whole thing and let it get built as opposed to one building/tile at a time.

Seriously. Blueprints in Factorio don't spoil players, they set the bar for how to do things. The Dupes cock things up often enough as it is, making me remember how to build something over and over is obnoxious.

I got my save to cycle 139 but the geysers turned out to be very disappointing. The cool steam one is more like a damp dribble, I'm so close to running out of water on top of all the other problems that save has it's not even funny. I started trying to melt some ice biome but it's slow going. The nat gas one runs about 1 and 3/4 generators which is fine for now and saves coal. But when the cycle ends, the coal won't last longer.

I think they'll starve to death first though. The farms are both too hot to produce anything, the ranch is too small to keep many dupes alive and I have a) no water for mush/meal bars b) the water scraps are rampant with germs. Some drekkos got in when I was building a new O2 plant and wished they hadn't. Hunger maddened dupes tore them apart for meat.

I started yet another game to try and incorporate everything I've learned the hard way and the name it was given made me chuckle - Plagued Spaceprison

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Alkydere posted:

Why? If you're feeding plants then the only thing that matters is temperatures: plants kill germs. It would only be important if you have handwash basins, or are making food with the microbial masher.

Mealwood sadly uses water and it's so drat easy to feed dupes with. Research is a massive water hog but it's finished with by cycle 50 at least. I have a small sealed pool next to the kitchen with a pump in it fed by my clean water to make liceloaf. That save is starting to struggle though because I can't find an ice biome around me - I want wheezeworts and ice. Though I have tackled a slime biome for the first time successfully. I have plenty of coal, algae no problem and can think about mushrooms soon (first clear to the nat gas geyser and build a room round it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

dogstile posted:

Is there a way to have your cook cycling through multiple things without having to build multiple stations?

I want to not have to queue up grilled bristle and then replace with pickled lice every time for example.

Pickling lice is bad unless you're trying to skimp on water. The pickled stuff is the worst quality possible. Just eating it raw is better because it's the same quality but doesn't cost any work. Plus (stolen verbatim from the wiki) "Meal lice gains 500 calories when turned into Liceloaf for 50Kg water versus having the same amount calories when turned into Pickled Meal."
For 50kg of water and some work you gain an easy mood boost, worth it IMO.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Long term I hope they put in enough to make it possible to have a self sustaining colony. I know it's supposed to be a survival game while you head to the surface etc but I like the 'ant farm' aspect a lot too. I'd really like to be able to build something with less stress and just let it run knowing it's not going to implode.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
It doesn't sound like what I was hoping for but w/e, I suppose it's something. If the new system is more complex than 'spam decor everywhere' that'll be fine.

There are just so many other things which I would have done first. Better luck next patch.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ILL Machina posted:

Probably a bug in the way the new work cycle works. Sounds like they try to pee as soon as soon one of the non work day cycles starts?

I dunno, sounds like a fairly normal day in a British public service office block :)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Speedball posted:

So, delving into ranching for the first time, how viable is it to raise Hatches for eggs? They eat almost anything, poop coal, their eggs look huge.

Too slow, raise shine bugs for eggs. Plenty of meat on Hatches though.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got some exosuits built and they change things rather a bit. Slime is no longer scary and I fear no water. But the little bastards still piss me off no end with the time wasting - walk to dock, get into suit, get through airlocks, walk halfway to job site, feel hungry, drop load and walk back. I know the suits suppress the 'I need a pee' thing but they still do the hunger one.

Still, cycle 90 and I have a nat gas geyser capped and only just getting some heat problems in the central part. Off to the ice biome with the next 3 suits and get me some wheezies.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The update seems a lot of work to basically implement 25% break/sleep time, 75% work time. They still drop whatever they are carrying when they change their bird brains which is infuriating. You're on a break for gods sakes, just go put that in the right place THEN go to the crapper. Instead it drops one of the remaining food items all the way down the ladder and into water.

All the cutesy "speech bubbles" nonsense is completely wasted on me. I just want quiet, efficient peons in my video game. I couldn't care less about immersion or the plight of my pixellated little friends.

Mood seems a little quicker to go down the swanny moving decor up the research queue and is it just me or are they eating more? Over all: D+, try harder next update.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

I ended up making a checkpoint that disables itself after the dupes are through, and doesn't re-enable until nighttime. That way dupes that get into suits then work in that area at least until sundown. Since suits basically stop dupe bladder from overflowing and actual hunger takes like 2 cycles to manifest, it's never been a problem.

:hmmyes:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sage Grimm posted:

Because that's a real indicator of quality. Right up there with.. NEKO WORKs 5 part visual novel. Or Neko Climax Studio's greatest release, DEEP SPACE WAIFU.

Exactly (and thanks, I needed that laugh).

Lorini posted:

There's tons of metal outside the initial area. You need to know how to take care of germs before getting into slime. Get into the other biomes with a water lock that looks like this

I don't play with germs on so you'll have to wait for other help for that.

Slime isn't so bad so long as you're meticiously about washing whoever comes out of the slime area. Or just go into the caustic area and get iron/coal instead.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I went and took a screenshot of the area that goes from center to slime for you to look at. I should have removed the sinks since I have the exosuits now but this was the first time I ever used suits and had no real idea how they worked (or that you have to pump O2 into them). The 4 airlocks stop any gas exchange happening (I saw it being used in videos. It seems a bit cheaty but w/e, does what an actual airlock should do).

The deodorizers slowly get rid of PO2 (and the slimelung in it), most of my dupes have about 9k slimelung on board but their immune systems are coping so fine. I think the trick is not to dig too much in one go until you have suits, then go nuts.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lorini posted:

My experience is that those door airlocks aren't that great as airlocks, and now you have to power all of to not have your dupes slowed way down. The water locks don't have these issues. I've had chlorine come through those door locks and that's a pain in the butt.

I deliberately left them unpowered because that's how I saw them used in the videos and zero gas has leaked through any of them. I'm not too bothered with the dupes waiting a bit to get in/out because it makes it easier to catch any skipping the sinks.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
There's a video example on youtube of someone deliberately getting PO2 to insane levels of infection. It's not a bug, rather intended to discourage leaving slime lying around. It doesn't take long at all for the gas to get stupid amounts of slimelung in it and any dupe taking a breath is going to regret it pretty fast.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
That's why they do the |=| airlocks. The game destroys anything in between the horizontal doors that open together. So it's an exploit/bug that works kinds like a proper airlock.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

I'm not sure if that's true because I have a refinery room with a quad-airlock entrance and some natural gas still seeps through each time a dupe leaves the room.

Did you power them? I've left mine unpowered and not a thing has come through it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lorini posted:

How many cycles is your colony?

114 I think. It been in since cycle 70ish.

socialsecurity posted:

Pressure doesn't move that fast.

Yeah, the gas/fluid model is primitive in the extreme. You can have massive pressure differences just tiles apart that just sit there and laugh at airflow tiles.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

That said, I really don't want Rimworld-style "Bob hates his ex-wife Ashley's guts so you need to make sure their schedules and jobs ensure they never run into each other while walking down the street" level of micromanagement.

Eh? Half the fun of Rimworld is watching them flip out and fist fight in the middle of breakfast. eg:

It doesn't mean impending doom for the colony either, just some free doctoring experience, a few blood stains and a break from the monotony of another day harvesting rice.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lorini posted:

I hate it. If that's what I wanted, I'd just play Rimworld. There's plenty of mods for Rimworld to give it a ton of replayability apparently.

I meant it's fine in the context of Rimworld. But as I posted in their feedback thread, I don't think this is a good thing for them to be doing right now with ONI. It's not a direction they need to go and all the comparisons with Rimworld are not helping them. For hilarious imploding colonies, Rimworld can't be beat. ONI is supposed to be something you're intended to 'win' by juggling the various needs.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Captain Monkey posted:

Also, am I dumb or is there no way to plant more than one planter box at a time?

Plant one (or click one you have), click the copy settings button, click + drag over other planters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

No, they are almost always fully buried in ice/snow.

Which will not even uncover if you use the sandbox mode reveal tool.