Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I've jumped into this game deeply, no clue how many times I've restarted now. Never made it to space, but I've done some crazy things like cooking crude oil directly to petroleum without the refinery (this converts 1:1 instead of 2:1). Also actually got the drat steam turbine to work.

Dirt may be more renewable than water using the fertilizer synthesizer. You can covert dirt, polluted water, and phosphorite to fertilizer, which if you cook to 125C turns back into more dirt than you started with. Never done this conversion before though, so I don't know if the dirt forms a tile - if it does you might lose 50% on digging it, defeating the purpose.

Fertilizer seems useless otherwise. It saves you resources, but the amount of duplicant time needed to actually use it is insane - 2 tasks per plant per day.

On ranching - you don't have to treat your critters well, only those you want to breed. Fed but ungroomed tame hatches still eat and will produce 1 egg/lifecycle. You can have one stable full of hatches you breed and many other small rooms crammed with 20 hatches, a feeder, a drop off, and an autosweeper. Overcrowding doesn't stop reproduction if there are no eggs present, only reduces it to the wild rate, so autosweep the eggs and send them to a special hatchery room.

You don't need exo suits to explore most biomes, but I like to use them when I get them online. Getting trapped in some remote location without oxygen is the leading cause of duplicant death with me. I've had suits run out of oxygen, but still have never lost a dupe in a suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
With the spom I've gotten even lazier for cooling my early oxygen output - I run it through my water tank with a stretch of radiant gas piping. I'll eventually need to cool the water, but this lets me put the problem off for a very long time.

Edit: I should add, my early game method for cooling hot liquids is to pump them into a frost biome. If you dig a block, you only get 50% of the mass, the other 50% is destroyed. If you melt ice instead you get the full 100% as liquid. Doing this gets me cool water and more of it, though it does take some effort.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 27, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

I made this thing. It is working okay, cooling any temperature liquid down to ~5c at nearly pipe capacity. The issue is that if a non-full glob gets in, it cools too fast for the sensors to react and breaks the pipe. The other problem is the temp sensor lets two globs through each activation instead of one. So I have to catch too hot ones and divert them back into the system. Any ideas on what I can do?

edit: The radiant pipes are below the sensors, where the water is stopped by the system.

If your primary issue is non-full liquid packets, there is a device you can build with liquid bridges some have called a "concentrator" that only lets full packets through, keeping the rest in an infinite pipe loop. I've never built one so I couldn't advise how.

My recommendation overall though is to split your cooling system into 2 rooms. 1 room with wheezeworts, hydrogen, and the thermonullifier. Immediately adjacent to that put the pipe room with some hydrogen and tempshift plates. The wall between the rooms should be exactly 3 tiles thick, the outer 2 walls made out of a thermally conductive material (any metal tile or diamond window tile). The inner wall should be mechanized airlocks (preferably steel, but anything is fine). Use automation wires and a thermo sensor so the doors open when the pipe room is getting too cold and are closed otherwise. When the doors open they form a vacuum, preventing overcooling.

I don't usually cool piped liquids with wheezeworts, so this may be overkill mind you. I like to put a system like this under my main water tank.

Edit: Fundamentally the system as designed seems difficult. Wheezeworts cool to -65, the thermonullfier to something like -175. To keep it stable you have to be pumping in an amount of heat matching your cooling levels, which seems highly unlikely. You need to be able to control the cooling or it is likely to fail at some point. Another way to control Wheezewort cooling is to build them on top of sideways mechanized airlocks, opening the airlocks when you want the cooling to stop.

Edit Edit: The above was too long and complicated.
Short version: Put the wheezeworts on mechanized airlocks rotated horizontally. Wire all the airlocks to a thermo sensor so they open when things get too cold.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 28, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
You can use steel to build pumps, no mods required.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Qubee posted:

for some reason, my plumbing that takes polluted water to hydroponic tiles to water my reed plants doesn't water them. the hydroponic tiles have 37g of polluted water and nothing more goes into them. exact same setups with mealworm hydroponic tiles works fine, water fills them up to 100kg or something. is there a special tactic for irrigating reed plants? cause they're constantly refusing to grow due to lack of irrigation.

Check that you didn't remove a pipe connection. Plumbing always flows from a green source to a white sink. Even if it was already flowing, removing the green to white connection will stop the flow.

Did you mean bristleblossoms? Mealwood use dirt, not water.

Pointless fact: reed plants are the only plant that will grow submersed in water, but the game won't let them actually use that water to satisfy their needs - it has to be plumbed for hydroponic tiles or delivered manually for regular farm tiles.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Qubee posted:

I've checked and double checked, plumbing goes from a pump in polluted water and only feeds these hydroponic tiles. Green to white. I even removed it all and tried running the plumbing underneath the tiles, and fed each tile separately by building a pipe upwards into them. no dice.

and yeah, bristleblossoms, my bad.

Check power to the pump? Kind of hard to troubleshoot. All I know is on more than one occasion I've cut power lines/gas lines/pipes/etc by using deconstruct all.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Just to be certain, some machines will just get 'pipe blocked' and similar that just can't be solved without dismantling it? First checking if that is an actual then and second is there a way to diagnose this specific issue so I don't randomly change things till I find what is bugged?

Not sure on this one. When all else fails, putting an extra pipe bridge between the output and the line it will travel on usually solves the problem. In my last runthrough for sinks and lavatories I just plumbed them in a straight line, but for showers I had to bridge off the inputs/outputs for each individual shower to get them to work right.

For overlays, I'd like a gas view overlay. It can be hard to track down small pockets of gas normally, and when using tempshift plates or drywall you can only tell which gas is present by mousing over.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

What am I missing about showers? I could really use the morale boost but they're currently worse than completely useless. They drain water and give me nothing. I've given them an extra hour for bathroom stuff in the morning but every single one of them races to the available showers, hops in, turns them on, and hops back out in about two seconds accomplishing nothing.

The plumbing on showers is really hard. If you plumb them directly, they "work" as you describe. To get them to work you have to bridge the input/output for each shower. I haven't tested it, bridging only one of the input or output may be sufficient. They are buggy, but can be forced to work.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

So would a radiant pipe full of coolant running over a row of temp shift plates be super efficient?

It would transfer heat quickly, provided you chose a decent material for the temp shift plate and were not in a vacuum.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

User0015 posted:

One of the copper volcanoes in my map generates heat at 2500 degrees. A full 1000 hotter than magma.

It's also sitting next to my bristle berry farm :sun::suicide:

The temperature of the metal volcanoes is higher, but there is a lot less total heat. The metals have a lower specific heat capacity and metal volcanoes don't spew nearly as much material.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

pakman posted:

I have this setup currently in my map. I am thinking about putting the SPOM above the AETN. Later I can tap the copper volcano and cool it (I think) with some excess hydrogen from the SPOM. Is this a good idea, or should I put the SPOM in my base somewhere and use the area above the AETN for something else later?

It would work well on the SPOM, not sure about the copper volcano. The AETN only cools at a rate of about 6.67 wheezeworts - that should be enough over time but the heat from a copper volcano comes in short large bursts. Ensure all materials close to the volcano will not melt.

The true benefit of the AETN over 6.67 wheezeworts is that the AETN can cool to a much lower temperature (-173C vs -60C).

edit: check https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/89984-oni-biology/ for the details on the various critters, only the nega shinebug morph will eat abyssalite.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Is iron the same as raw metals?

Iron isn't the same as raw metal, its "refined metal". As of a recent patch steel can be used both as a refined metal and a raw metal allowing it to fill any gaps.

Edit: As for running out of metal, iron literally falls from the sky as mentioned. Copper, iron, and gold volcanoes can exist. Copper and iron can be retrieved from space. As far as I known though, tungsten/wolframite are limited - I haven't checked the planets since the space industry upgrade though. In theory a number of substances melt into tungsten, such as abyssalite, but achieving such temperatures outside of sandbox mode is probably impossible without finding some pretty severe glitches.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 6, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

pakman posted:

I still haven't figured out how to get Dense Pufts. I've had several cycles of Prince -> Puft -> Prince without one. All in Oxygen.

Also, what's the best way to get O2 into exo suits? Should I split some off my SPOM, or should I build a SPOM specifically for suits, granted I won't need the cooling from the SPOM since suits don't care about the O2 temp?

Calculate how many duplicants your SPOM can support. 1 Electrolyser, working perfectly, can support 8.88 duplicants. 2 electrolysers can saturate a gas pipe and support 10 duplicants. If you have any excess O2 at all you should be able to tap the SPOM for the suits. If you don't have excess O2 I recommend building more on principle. While you use oxygen to fill spaces (including the suits as "space"), oxygen is generally only consumed by duplicants.

If you get your dense pufts modify the math accordingly. Tame dense pufts consume 30Kg a day, producing 28.5kg of oxylite. That is 2.5kg a day if you let the oxylite gas off, meaning 24 tame dense pufts (or 96 wild) are equivalent to a duplicant.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

You don't need a SPOM dedicated to exosuits. At the end of the day, your oxygen consumption is going to be the same. The only thing that matters is the rate at which you can fill the exosuit oxygen tanks. Once you have a lot of them, simply splitting the main SPOM oxygen line won't be enough. You should just build pumps + gas filters and fill them that way.

I don't understand the need for the extra pumps. Why not just pipe all the excess directly to the suits?
Edit: You don't need to cool the suit oxygen so you could branch off the oxygen before cooling it.

I personally never use gas/liquid filters, using sensors/shutoffs instead for the power savings. There is an added level of complexity to doing so mind you.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 11, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mazz posted:

I never actually looked at the numbers so here's some quick math about electrolyzers/dupes.

The proper designs for SPOMs produce around 400-480kg / cycle. Its not a smaller range because it depends on how you set up some of the smaller stuff like the atmo sensors,if you made any changes, if you are handling the excess hydrogen well etc. You can see your daily numbers in the reports tab on top. Perfectly optimal electrolyzers will make 528 kg/s but that doesnt really happen in game because the way the gasses move and the stuff like pipes blocking.

Dupes consume 60kg a cycle (100 g/s x 600 seconds).

So yeah you can safely assume 1 SPOM is producing enough oxygen for 7 or 7.5 dupes and not running short if you go with a typical SPOM. 2 should comfortably cover 15. You can probably be safe with 8 per electrolyzer if they are holding their breath at any point, and 7 once they spend most of their time in atmo suits which guarantees 100% consumption while being worn.

If you just make your SPOM with 2 electrolyzers and 3 pumps you can saturate the oxygen output and support 10 dupes.
Edit: I'm pretty sure 3 pumps and 1 electrolyzer would get you the full oxygen output? I haven't tested that though.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 11, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

The way gas piping works is like this:

Every junction gets 1/2 of the gas that arrives at it.

Let's say you have two junctions, with a possible of 3 total outlets (i.e. vents/exosuit docks/etc). With this setup, the first outlet would get 50% of the incoming gas, and the second and third outlets would split the remainder for a total of 25% each.

This becomes problematic once you start diverting your SPOM output to too many outlets. For example, if you have three junctions, and the third junction is feeding 3 exosuit docks that are used frequently, you won't be able to fill their oxygen tanks fast enough. That's why you need dedicated gas pumps after a while.

Never branch pipes like that. Always use a bridge.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mazz posted:

3 pumps only move 1500 g/s, 2 SPOMS not being overpressurized will produce 2000 g/s of gas, 1760 of which are oxygen. You'll need more than 3 pumps to be using the gasses made, unless you mean 3 oxygen pumps on the bottom and 1 more on top for hydrogen. Also 3 pumps cannot be moved to the same output line so you can't really use the regular 4 wheezewort cooling thing that well.

Otherwise you're throwing a bunch of the individual electrolyzer output away, as 10 dupes is only 5 per electrolyzer. It works and that's fine, just not really determining how much a electrolyzer should be making.

2 pumps on the bottom always running, 1 on the top run by an atmo sensor. You do get less dupes per electrolyzer, but honestly electrolyzers are cheap. If I'm putting long pipes in, I want to get the full 1000g/s of oxygen in the pipe.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Eh, perhaps I should have said that I only do it that way. It makes the plumbing behave in a easy to understand deterministic way. Bridges are also cheap and perfectly insulated since they don't actually contain any liquid, just teleport it.

All the weird plumbing behavior occurs when you have a sequence of sinks/sources such as sink-source-sink-source. I make all segments of pipe run along a sequence of green outputs, then a sequence of white inputs. The outputs are prioritized such that the first green has higher priority, later ones can only put liquid on the pipe if there is room. Similarly the first white gets all the liquid until it is blocked, creating a priority ordering for the outputs.

Using a bridge to branch my pipes I can manipulate which direction gets priority. The bridged direction will get all of the output until it is blocked, then it will run along the pipe past the bridge.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Qubee posted:

my brain is really frazzled atm cause I've been working on a report, but I don't think what you're saying is right, Smiling Demon. Green outputs will always yield to passing gas / liquid. So if you pipe all your green outputs together (showers are a great example), showers down the line will not properly work as they'll constantly stop working (and booting dupes out) because there's already a liquid packet going through the pipe which it yields to. They may have fixed this as it's technically buggy as gently caress, cause showers would stop working even if there was only a tiny packet of water flowing (instead of joining the packets to form a larger one). For white inputs, the first always gets priority, so having a row of hydroponic tiles and feeding them all in a straight line is bad, because the first tile will suck up everything it needs, and the rest will get the trickle down.

Here's an image from the wiki to help:

https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Guide/Piping

also the page I got it from. it's a really interesting read. using a liquid bridge to branch off of pipes, the bridge will prioritize all flow. So instead of splitting the liquid 50/50 between the two pipes, the bridge will take 100% of the flow unless the pipe it's giving liquid to is backed up.

Yeah showers and sinks don't work quite like this. They fixed lavatories so this works with them, but many other things don't quite work right still. Bridge inputs/outputs do work like this though, so any problem can be fixed putting another bridge between, for example, the shower and the main pipeline.

I use *a lot* of bridges.

Edit: It may all sound ridiculous, but I've never had a problem with pipes doing all of this.

Edit edit: I don't know why the problem exists, but I'd expect it has has something to do with the fact that bridges can fill partial packets. If there is 4000g of water in a pipe on a bridge exit and another 2000g of water on the bridge input it will merge the packets to 6000g of water. I suspect that not all green outputs allow for packet merging currently, which would explain some failures.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 11, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Meteor showers start only if you explore up to a certain altitude on the map.

Is this actually true? The information I've seen on this topic is very conflicted.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mechanical Ape posted:

One thing I haven't learned at all is automation. I was thinking my first automation project would be setting the lights to shut off during sleepy time.

What can be done with the first Automation tech (Automation Control)? The signal switch / power shutoff don't seem too useful by themselves. Do you need sensors to make any of this worthwhile?

As a first automation task I definitely recommend connecting a smart battery to run a coal generator. Automation usually needs sensors, some of the advanced stuff using gates can do without.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

User0015 posted:

Speaking of automation, what's a good way to load balancer power generators. Where I kick on natgas first, then a second or third second if needed.

Multiple smart batteries. But this raises the question, why not just kick them all on/off and let the battery deal with the balancing. I usually use multiple smart batteries if I have multiple types of power that I want to operate with different priorities, ex: Run the natural gas first (battery setting 90-70), then the coal if that isn't enough (battery setting 90-40).

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mazz posted:

Nat gas still kind of owns because you can set it up and pretty much forget about it like anything else supplied by a geyser. Use the geyser calculator to see what it outputs and go from there. Coal is indeed really convenient but hatch farming still eats up dupe time and having (essentially infinite) resources to manage. Same with petroleum since the refinery is weirdly dupe operated.

As you tack on more and more powered stuff having a guaranteed generator like NG set up can come in real handy when you haven’t paid attention and poo poo goes pear shaped for a minute.

Technically you can sidestep the oil refinery, though it isn't simple. Heat crude oil to 400C and it turns to petroleum. Heat it too high and it turns to sour gas. Complex, but doesn't require duplicant time post setup. It also gives a better return of 1:1 crude:petroleum compared to the 2:1 of the refinery.

It's why I chose a map seed that I knew had a major volcano in my latest playthrough.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 13, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mazz posted:

Put a gas element sensor on the pipe tile directly in front of a shutoff value, and it will work like a filter so long as the pipes don't back up. 10w vs 120w and only active when necessary to move the selected gas. It's not 100% foolproof but you can save yourself a whole lot of power if you use these in place of filters everywhere you need to split gasses off. Just make sure the pipes don't back up or the shutoffs start doing weird things. I also recommend doubling up in places like AETNs so you don't get any stray gasses breaking machinery. I use the water vent trick to make those rooms infinite but high pressure vents work okay too if you keep an eye on how full they are getting.

Works the same with liquid shutoff and sensors.

The shutoffs say 10w, but I couldn't actually ever detect any power consumption. They seem to need access to power, but not actually consume it.

You can make the shutoffs failure proof, but it takes more stuff. The gas has to be always moving so you need to create a permanent loop. You would also need two sensors and two shutoffs in the loop.

For those interested the setup is documented here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/984pt9/robust_pipe_filter_or_how_i_learned_to_love_loops/

Edit: This also allows you to construct a thermal or germ version of the gas/liquid filter.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 14, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Some basics of heat management:

-Insulation and separation: Use insulated tiles and pipes to keep the heat out first and foremost. Don't put industrial buildings that generate heat near your farms
-Beware of fixed temperature outputs: these can be abused to cool things, but if you aren't aware of them they can cause massive overheating. The two main culprits are the water sieve and the electrolyser. The water sieve always outputs 40C water (generally too hot). The electrolyser I think is 70C oxygen/hydrogen.

If you need to cool things, early on you probably want a frost biome. There you can find wheezeworts which cool surrounding gases when planted in a flower pot. If it is an emergency you can dig up the ice and move it into your base, though you lose half the water in the ice by doing so. You can also find an anti-entropy-thermo-nullfier (AETN) in the frost biome, which acts as 6.67 wheezeworts when fed hydrogen.

If you are lucky you can find a cool slush geyser which spews -10C polluted water, which you can pipe through radiant pipes to cool your base. Don't rely on finding one in time, but they are nice if you do.

You can use the fixed temperature outputs in your favour; heat polluted water to above 40C and send it to the water sieve to cool it back to 40C. Very powerful late game methods for cooling are either venting very hot stuff to space or using the steam turbine(>300 wheezeworts of cooling), but these are far harder to setup.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

So how crazy an idea is the one I've been kicking around? I think I want to use the heat output of a gold volcano I have to heat up a small oven area, dump slime into it and bake it into dirt so I have a source of dirt for berries and, eventually, sleet wheat. I've managed a decent sized Puft farm fed by all the polluted oxygen coming off my polluted water reservoir so I have more slime than my mushrooms are using and I like the idea of long-term dirt income.

The idea isn't bad but there are problems. Gold volcanoes put out the least heat of all volcanoes due to the incredibly low specific heat capacity of gold. You only need to heat the slime to 125C I think. If you heat the dirt too much it turns to sand. Automation can keep the cooking chamber in that range easily. If there any other volcanoes other than gold I recommend going for them though.

Edit: This assumes you are comfortable with automating things like mechanized airlocks to manage temperatures. You need a robominer to dig the resulting dirt tiles and an autosweeper to get the dirt out of there.

You can also use the fertilizer maker to make dirt from fertilizer you get from polluted water, I've done that once now. You bake it the same as the slime.

You will probably need to cool the dirt afterwards, as no plant wants 125C dirt.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 16, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

I have a magma voclano but I honestly don't think I want to ever uncover it. Just sounds like a huge pain in the rear end. And I found out about the dirt to sand thing the hard way. I was trying to boil off polluted water and vent it to space then scoop up the dirt but it kept getting turned into sand, so doing it this way is basically the second version.

Magma volcanoes produce the most heat of all. Not uncovering it might be smart, it does take some effort to manage. And failures can be very very bad.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Yea, I don't get it at all. At least based on the screenshot, your wheezeworts seem to be in a vacuum, which means they won't be doing any cooling.

You can't see gases in front of tempshift plates. There is presumably hydrogen there, but you can't see it.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Feeding it to slicksters.

Yep. This can actually create water in the end. CO2 > Slicksters > Crude Oil > Petroleum > Petroleum generator > CO2 and polluted water.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Jinnigan posted:

How the gently caress do you build a SPOM without general air problems loving up the hydrogen power

If I'm understanding you right, you run out of hydrogen when the oxygen backs up? A smart battery connected to the hydrogen generator would mostly fix that, unless the oxygen backs up for 5+ cycles.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Hmm, I have it delivering oxygen to the exosuit stations, but they are reporting not enough oxygen. What does that mean?

Either they are not full (and the stations store a large quantity of O2) or unpowered.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mayveena posted:

They are powered. But the O2 warning is on, while the electrolyzer won't run because of max pressure.

Sounds like the problem is in the SPOM or the pipes then.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mayveena posted:

It worked until the max gas pressure. Maybe you just can't attach SPOM's only to Exosuit stations.

The O2 warning should be off then though.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

I turned on debug mode and had a go at making steam power. How in the world are you meant to in a sustainable way use this? It eats up the magma in no time. The steam is pretty impossible to cool save using half the power generated to do so. I don't get it.

I have managed to use the steam turbine before, though it is probably the most complicated thing I've done in this game. I'd recommend not trying to cool the steam at all, it causes way more problems than you would expect. You need to "pump" the steam back to the underside of the turbine using a series of mechanized airlocks.

Don't over expose the steam to the magma. The turbine converts 230C steam to 170C steam. It also converts 1000C steam to 170C steam. Letting the steam get hot will increase the cooling power of the turbine, but won't increase the power generated. If you don't control the exposure (using again, mechanized airlocks) it will cool the magma fast.

Short, incomplete version: you need lots and lots of mechanized airlocks.

Edit: The steam turbine has lots of weird behaviour, using rules specific to the steam turbine. I would expect changes to how it works in the future.

Also, don't use the turbine for power generation. Consider it to be a powerful cooling device (>300 wheezeworts) with the limitation that it can only "cool" to about 230C. Power generated should be considered a byproduct.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 18, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Transformers allow you to move power from a heavy power line to a lower power line. They don't leak power, but create heat. If the heat is a problem you can connect the transformer to a smart battery to only activate when necessary. The battery leaks power and creates heat itself, but less heat. I've never bothered, always putting the batteries on the high voltage side.

Circuits are overloaded by power draw only. You can generate as much power as you want on any wire. If you consume more power than the weakest wire on the network is rated for you will get overloads. Of course, if there is no battery on a line power limitations will cause devices to fail if they draw more power than supplied.

Edit: changed voltage to power, game doesn't actually deal in voltage

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Mod the game to remove all heat deleters. It is good. Everything works reasonably.

I'd love to get rid of the water sieve as a heat deleter. It would simplify a lot of things.

There are too many heat deleters to get rid of all of them, but the biggest culprits are the water sieve and the electrolyzer. I'm fine with wheezeworts/AETN. The steam turbine needs an overhaul in general. Nobody is going to go through the effort of preheating coal so as to make the coal generator a heat sink.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

I don't know about solid products, but anything that uses water or gas just adds or removes an amount of heat instead of having a fixed output. It is good.

Other good mods: Camera zoom out. Rotating continuous recipes. Gas element overlay.

Gas element overlay, I've needed that several times.

As for machine products, fun fact with the petroleum generator: its outputs, like several other devices, are at the temperature of the generator. Unlike the natural gas generator none of its outputs are piped. This means you can cool it ridiculously and have it make -150C polluted ice/solid CO2. No, I can't really think of why you would want to.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
It wouldn't cool itself, it always outputs at the temperature of the generator. The generator also creates some heat itself so it would be a net heating effect and need external cooling

It'd also be a pain to not freeze the incoming petroleum.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mazz posted:

What are the best ways to get poo poo really cold? Is it just cycling through an AETN? I’ve never really done much in that direction (or any of the real late game stuff)

To get things really cold you need to use the thermoregulator or the thermal aquatuner. The trick is to manage any phase changes safely. You could cool something like hydrogen, which remains a gas until very low temperatures, then use that hydrogen to cool something else, such as oxygen.

Alternatively, you could use liquid/gas valves. Pipes only break on phase change if they are carrying more than 10% of their max capacity. If you send a liquid/gas into a valve set at 10% capacity and then the appropriate thermal cooler then the pipes won't break - as long as you vent the output and never allow that pipe to back up. You could use this method to liquefy hydrogen if you don't mind the fact that you'll likely have to split the output over 10 valves/regulators in the end.

There is a space material, supercoolant, intended to be used to help with cooling. Unfortunately it is extremely late game and last time I checked prohibitively difficult to get in useful quantities.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Qubee posted:

what happens when a liquid freezes in a pipe? I want to cool hydrogen down to its condensation point, but I've got no idea if it'll rupture the gas pipes when it turns into a liquid. how do I even take it in it's liquid form and deposit it in a reservoir?

If there is more than 1kg of stuff in the pipe segment it breaks. If there is 1kg or less it moves as if it hasn't changed state until vented.

For gases the limit is 100g.