Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I've still kind of new (I've played a lot but I'm bad) so manybe I'm missing something, but I'm pumping water directly out of my refinery into a sieve. It is partially clean and partially polluted so it may be the problem, but the water coming out of the sieve is wayyyy hotter than 40C. Like 70C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Thanks for the answers. Guess I'll have to repipe everything. My dream of a closed loop refinery system dashed.

LegoMan fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 27, 2019

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I've got a cycle of H2 moving around my base and up through an AETN which is slowly cooling the more troublesome parts of my base. Worts are picking up the slack elsewhere except for the water geyser which I feel I need to cap off because I don't really need water right now. I'm just now getting to oil stuff, which I've never done before.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Tree Bucket posted:

....apparently I don't know how to play Oxygen Not Included. This stuff is incredible!
(I automated my lights to switch off at night-time and felt like a genius.)

This. I'm happy when I find a geyser and manage to not fill my base with chlorine

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I really like rime asteroid because germs are essentially a non issue. The only thing that sucks is it's really hard to find critters and I have yet to find a single Reed fiber after 60 days and instead am using the one drecklet I got from the printer.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

I wanted to grab as much hydrogen as I could before the vent went dormant.

Still haven't found any reed fiber and my dreklet disappeared

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Ambaire posted:

It may have died from getting too cold.

That reminds me I need to set up a heating system for my slickster babies

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Does ice melt inside storage boxes? I've got tons of the stuff and I realize it takes a lot of energy to melt tons of ice, but it seems like the temp isn't changing at all and I have a space heater right next to the storage box.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

endlessmonotony posted:

Ya gotta leave a gap between the neutronium and the insulated tile. The magma / metal pools there and when it's at 150Cish you can toggle the airlock (with a pressure sensor) and get the metal. Also, the airlock is sideways.

OOOOOOO
OVVVVEO
OVVVVEOTURBINE
OVVVVEOOOOOOO
OVVVVEQ.....O
ONNNNEQ.....O
OOOOAAMMMQQQ

E's for empty. Q's for a metal tile that's questionable - better but not necessary. The boil chamber under the turbine needs at least 4000kg of water and can't have more than one type of gas in it... and loses a bunch of efficiency even with just one tile of non-steam gas so a vacuum is much better. The temp sensor in the boil chamber is optional and is for fine-tuning power and cooling and depends on your exact geyser.

Someone's gotta have an actual screenshot of this setup?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I know that my iron volcano drops into my waste water pool and the pwater is barely changed at all by the time it's safe to pick up the iron.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

TehSaurus posted:

It's absolutely magic honestly. How did you wind up inside the pressure vessel. Your only job was to close it up! You were already outside!

Wait why are you suffocating oh because you mined away your only way out and now you have to wait for someone to make a ladder for you

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
No cooking/attack/research is ok to take if you already have someone dedicated to doing those things. Proper bedroom placement makes loud sleeper irrelevant. I have a no builder dupe that's fine because she's dedicated to hauling and supplying.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I felt so proud of myself for making a little sunken room to store food in full of co2 because I never knew it was better than a fridge.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Yeah for the effort slicksters just don't produce enough oil to be worth building around them for it but as co2 eaters they are remorseless eating machines.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Just as I started learning how to cool a base, I started a new Rime game, because I hate myself. What's sort of the long and short of how people got about heating their base up on Rime maps? I found a steam vent, and I could rig up a water heating system, but

1) I'm afraid of overheating, given the water is extremely hot
2) once I've heated up the base enough it seems like it would be easy to adapt the system to cool, but that seems wasteful

I'm only cycle ~30 so I've got a ways to go before automation, but I'm already running into sub zero areas that are proving troublesome.
I'm super paranoid about the eventual heat death of my base so I play rime exclusively now. I take everything really slow including dope count. Space heaters work for meal wood well enough as long as they're close.

Getting ice into 50kg chunks like someone said before and thrown into storage bins helps keep water supply high. I found the ice melts faster with a solid block under the bin rather than mesh even though the temps are exactly the same. No idea why.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
But if the bins are the same temp where is the temp transfer modeling from

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Mazz posted:

Mesh/flow tiles are not considered solids by the temp system so it’s the air behind them your transferring with, which has far lower conductivity on average vs solid/solid

That actually makes sense. So basically I want something under the bin with a high thermal conductivity

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

RandomBlue posted:

I have slime blocks near my base that say they have zero germs, is that a lie or will they start making germs when exposed to oxygen?

Also how do I fill a block with water?

Yeah that's why I like Rime. I have yet to see a slime lung germ. Food poisoning is still an issue.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Flesh Forge posted:

It took me a while to get my brain around how tough your duplicants are, a little chlorine gas at 5 atmospheres is ehhh no big deal :shrug: Did you know they can sleep all night while holding your breath? It's a fact!

Mine have almost been in a constant state of hypothermia from splashing around in -14c water. No biggie.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Also because I like an easy game but without fully going sandbox I put on the "reject all refreshes printer" mod. It's actually been almost a necessity because I cant find salt anywhere and the only source of salt water I can find is a geyser. So I've got 8 naturally planted worts (pips are amazingly random) cooling the water that comes out of it to be desalinated.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I don't know if theres a easier way but I use atmospheric sensors as switches to do a lot of things. When my hydrogen geyser gets too hot I pause the game, hit the above/below switch to shut the mechanized airlock door and move on. No dupe calories used.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

RandomBlue posted:

Built my first natural gas generator and it just loving pukes polluted water on to the ground, WTF is that? It also comes out of a pipe which I can't connect up to for no good reason.

gently caress that, I installed the mod that adds pipe i/o to stuff that doesn't have it but should.

Yeah I did too. It makes no sense you couldn't just put a sock around the outlet of an electrolyzer and direct the gas into a tube.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Been trying to set up solar power but it just seems way more effort than it's worth. I put steel bunkers up connected to a satellite. So the bunkers close when a storm happens. Then they open and hot regolith falls on the solar power and kills it. So I put some robo miners up. They mine it, the doors open and drop super hot material on top of the panels. They die. I set up sweepers. They overheat.

I realize there's solutions to all this but it is just so much effort and when I have enough hydrogen bottled up to last until the heat death of the universe I'm about to just give up.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

insta posted:

Put mesh tiles above the solar panels and below the miners. Mesh tiles don't overheat and transmit 100% light.

does material sitting on the mesh tiles block light? If not that is awesome, thanks.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Triarii posted:

I've occasionally run into a bug where a thermo sensor says it's sending a green signal but the wire is red. Try toggling to from Below to Above and back, see if that fixes it.

Yeah this happens a lot. When an automated device isnt working just toggle it on and off once.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

i look away for one second

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

I'm not super great at this game but I watched a video about this and it's hilarious to have 60 Shine bugs in one spot generating (at this point) 800W of power.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Dirk the Average posted:

I'd highly suggest downloading the shine bug reactor mod - it's basically the exact same thing that you're doing, but without the massive amounts of lag that it generates.

I have ~100 or so shine bugs in there and there's really no lag... unless I hover over the square then the game hiccups a couple seconds.

(same with quantum storage squares)

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I'm having trouble with a logic problem. I had used a germ sensor setup for water purification but the one I found tended to get hung up if no germ-free PO2 went through the germ sensor to start the buffer timer countdown.

The setup I want is this.

Tank fills (door under tank open)
Tank full (door under tank stays open another 60 seconds[or long enough for germs to die off], then closes)
Temp empties (door under tank stays closed until tank sends empty signal)
cycle repeats

I figure with two of these setups I can deal with the 3 different schedules I have without some germ water getting into the overflow clean water.

I know i'm probably overthinking it and will come up with a better solution tomorrow when I'm not so sleep deprived. I was trying to sketch out something with a memory gate.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Per usual, if I sleep on a problem like this it comes to me

Water goes through shutoff valve into tank, sits for a predetermined amount of time, empties into water system.

Water will fill until it hits whatever "full" limit you set on your reservoir. (I would set the "empty" condition at 0). The buffer is set to how long it takes to empty all your germs (I think I started with 120sec). Water shutoff valve doesn't allow any filling while the tank is emptying.

No fiddling with timers or schedules required. Allows you to kill off germs of any amount of water you want in sections. You could add a germ detector loop in case some gets missed.

LegoMan fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 9, 2020

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

I keep telling myself that this time, I'll be more organized.

Then I end up going with the flow and being reactive and sticking things whereever there's space and before you know it, spaghetti once more.

I'm also a chicken poo poo and still just play Rime.

Same with Rime. I have kids and poo poo I just want to make fun contraptions and chill.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Shadow0 posted:

I'm not sure how useful it will be to you, but I want to plug the guide I've been working on. It's in the OP. Setting up and taking those screenshots take a while you know! There's probably some useful info in there.

I hope to get back to it soon; I feel a sense of incompleteness in my life while it's still a WIP, haha. Add comments to it for any sections you think I should add.

Your guide rules.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Early liquid locks are always fun on Rime because you turn your back and one of your locks is now a chuck of ice. Had to remember to thread some radiant pipe past them to keep the water warm

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Anyone looking for a kind of ridiculous Rime Map

S-FRZ-1316009818-0

6 Nueral Vacilators
2 Iron volcanos
3 AETNs (2 right next to each other)
Cool slush vent

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Roundboy posted:

How is everyone keeping millions of calories of food without it going off?

All my ingredients sit in a co2 environment, and the resulting cooked goods are transporter to a co2 pit with powered fridges in it as food drops in if there is space it's refrigerated, otherwise it should sit in a sterile environment

But I get everything eventually going off. Resulting in my 1million calories of fried mushrooms and bbq dropping to 200-300 k at some point I tried chlorine, but it doesn't seem to stay in a lit like co2. Does everything eventually decay despite the environment?

check for PO2 floating around which adds the "pollution exposure" modifier. Otherwise I've had food sit in CO2 forever and never saw any of it rot away

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

you'll forgive me if i save first, but yeah that does sound like a good lol :v:

(e: i just imagined building a temporary SAFETY CUBE for the dupes and locking em in with food & needs while the rest of the asteroid (including the rest of the original base) is vacuumed clean of stray chlorine, nat gas, etc; and later replacing it all with plain old O2. This air will be clean)

that's pretty much how I have my entire living setup. A square large enough for 20 bedrooms (I only have 14 dupes and I'm already getting nervous) with checkpoint going in and a waterlock preventing my ultra pure oxygen atmosphere from leaking out.

I'm thinking of switching to a pod system so that every dupe has their own checkpoint with the only communal entrances being to the recreation area.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

insta posted:

Heat transfer mechanics get multipliers based on the phase of the material. Solid tiles have 1x the heat transfer rate. Liquids get 25x. Gasses get 625x (25*25). Do not let gasses get hot, they will wreck everything.

Yeah a good example of this is just letting some water hit the lower magma layer. The steam that escapes is a hurricane of firey death

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Also because I'm a huge cheater I love making ultra-compressed gas rooms using the vent glitch (also conveyor loaded canister emptiers). Imagine my surprise when I forgot to remove an airflow tile when I expanded my oxygen room (to make room for more emptiers) and ~14k kg blew out across my asteroid. So now I have about 2k kg of oxygen literally everywhere.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Heffer posted:

What is the conveyor loader canister emptier trick?

it's a mod that bottles gasses/liquids and puts them on a conveyor belt. Conveyor loaded canister emptiers (part of the mod as well) can be sealed behind walls. They do however only release gasses slowly and they have a 200kg capacity so if you really want to move gasses you'll need several. Canister emptiers don't have a pressure limit.

Like I said I'm a huge cheater. I like basically playing sandbox with consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
What I really want is a robo-miner that can be moved around on a powered rail and can actually mine abyssalite. I like everything neat and tidy and so I usually clear out large sections and it's just a huge pain in the rear end. My newest method is ladder scaffolding in a line but even that causes dupes to get stuck sometimes.