Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I was about to break onto the surface, and start drilling for oil, but I ended up in a vexing situation. There's a long shaft going from my base downwards with a ton of refined iron from a geyser at the bottom. I've realized several dupes are spending their entire workday going down to retrieve the iron, running out of breath, and dropping it. If I want that iron, do I need to pump oxygen down there, or is there an easier way? Other things I've considered: build an atmo suit dock (it would be nice to have iron for this!), or rebuild the shaft with thresholds so that dropped iron falls only partway down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I deconstructed the Crashed Satellite before realizing it would be extremely useful. :(

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

For me the real treat is getting another pip morph:

:love:

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Panty Saluter posted:

while I'm here, is there any reason to keep wolframite ore around? if i have gold amalgam at least. Or should it all become tungsten?

Wolframite doesn't have an overheat bonus but it does have a very high melting point. It's nice for stuff like conveyor rails or fire poles in very hot places (although Steel is nearly as good, and Thermium is better.)

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I use automation and a big heat sink kept at 2 degrees, to ensure all the water going into the farms is under 3 degrees.

The air coming through that vent isn't cooled, and that heat sink is probably overkill.

If you're fine-tuning the exact amount of radiant pipes and liquid valve settings then I recommend using automation more.

dividertabs fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 22, 2022

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Working on my first base, I've just built an electrolyzer and am now trying to distribute the oxygen throughout the base. I built a single pipe all down my central corridor and popped a vent straight on top of it on each floor. I figured the oxygen would vent out the first one until at pressure and then start going past it to fill the others, like with filling multiple gas containers with a straight pipe through. But it just stopped at the first vent and starts backing up.

Why does it behave this way, and what should I do instead? I tried looking this up but everyone just talks about oxygen generation and not about distribution.

In your ventilation network, past your first vent, there is some source (green arrow). Remove that source or use a ventilation bridge, so that no path from source to sink goes against your intended flow direction.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

TehSaurus posted:

Same. The grooming animation is so drat cute, and the only automated harvest option is to drown them (or feed them to poke shells?) and I want none of that!

If you're not concerned about efficiency, how about a radbolt gun? Boil alive? :chef:

My dupes are vegetarian too, for the same reason.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Xerol posted:

Am I going to be able to send rockets to/from this planet?

I have this glitch too. It's visual only; won't affect your rockets. Marked as 'fixed' in the next patch.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

Thing is, you don't need a geyser for CO2. You just need dupes to be alive, or to be running basically any industry at all. It's a waste product with vanishingly few uses, and even in the situations where it can be helpful, you're not lacking for the stuff anyway.

I find CO2 valuable because of CO2->PWater->PDirt->Pokeshell Molts->Lime->Steel, and always want more. On Terrania I also needed it for clay, although on my metallic swamp start I seem to have plenty of clay.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Something slightly disappointing to me is that my Metallic Swampy start has no lava volcano anywhere in the starmap, so I won't be able to make a volcano-powered petroleum boiler. I played around with Tools Not Included a bit and it seems like only about half of Metallic Swampy starts have it, on their Desolands Asteroid (no link because Tools Not Included seems to be down). I wonder if all the story traits that have been added in the last year are crowding stuff out.

It's not the biggest deal to me because I think nuclear plants or sour gas boilers are more fun, plus it wouldn't bother me too much to just cheat in the volcano I feel I'm owed, but it does bug me a little.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Akratic Method posted:

One of the things that frustrates me about the game is the imprecision of in-game info about how a building behaves.

For me the most obnoxious example of this is one you might not even have hit yet: Steam Turbines, besides having an irrelevant overheat temperature, just stop working when their temp hits 100C.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

For large conveyor belt systems, I wish the filters looked very different. It should be easier to see how the rails behind a filter are hooked up so I can see if I accidentally bridged the two outputs. And for many buildings with a filter setting it should be visible in the game viewport what it's set to, like the new storage tiles, rather than only in the building's selection popup.

Dirk the Average posted:

It's a brilliant material to use, absolutely. It's just one of those things that can also cause a failure cascade when something screws up and starts boiling your base and now all your wires have melted and most of your tools to fix the situation are no longer accessible.

This is funny; how did large parts of your base reach lead's 327C melting point?

I know that the meta is to enclose a living area in insulated tiles, make an exit with an atmo suit checkpoint, and let the rest of the map boil. But are there any other players who prefer to just keep the entire map at a livable temperature?

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Would y'all consider 52B a spoiler? It's right there in the Database, which is how I first found out about it. But I feel it would have been neater to run into it without any prior knowledge.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Sokani posted:

I would say don't spoil it.

Wasn’t planning to; it is just a discussion question.

And to avert disappointment, it’s not that huge a thing, just a little neat, and it is DLC only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Those random pumps you need for little things end up being a real drain on resources and force you to confront issues like coal shortages earlier

I agree that liquid locks don’t feel right, but I don’t find electricity an issue with pumps used this way. I haven’t looked at numbers but when I automate pumps on (pressure > 500 g) & (not oxygen) then they are nearly always off.