Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

You guys got any Jezzail kitbash recs that aren't veermin?

Here's what I did. They're just Clanrats with Kroot Rifles and plasticard pavices.

They're not amazing, and they were a ton of work, namely the carving/sanding off the molded left arms. I also had to cut and repose the head, and gapfill the kroot arms a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

For ease of my sanity I just say that the hands are "mutations" to allow for better shooting.

Most people that have looked at them don't recognize the Kroot rifles or hands. So I guess at normal viewing distance they end up looking like generic animal hands.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Don't try to understand what Games Workshop does. For that way lies madness.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I don't understand why GW keeps making 4x4 mats when both AoS and Sigmar are primarily played on 6x4.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

SWA and AoS skirmish are on 4x4.

But yeah, it's kind of silly.

I have a 6x4 and it's pretty easy to either drape the mat over a 4x4 table, or just cordon off a chunk of the mat with terrain or a divider of some kind.

What I'm saying it's pretty easy to go smaller than the mat you have, next to impossible to go bigger outside of getting a new mat.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Everyone knows exactly what someone means when they say Lizardmen.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Any suggestions for where to find round slottas for beastmen? They don't fit 25mm rounds without clipping, and even then I think they'd be quite top heavy

I get pretty much all my bases from ebay. Usually way cheaper than through GW.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-4...DgAAOSwDiBZF5EL

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

chutche2 posted:

Any suggestions on third party sources for fantasy halberds like that in the US? Needs to be US because these have to be painted by the end of the month, and I'm not dropping $30 on finecast halberds.

For US I think the best bet would be Reaper https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Weapons/latest

Out of the US there are a fair bit of options that are way less expensive than Forge World, but that doesn't help due to your time constraint.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Have the formulas for the texture paints gotten better?

I tried Agrellen Earth when it first came out and I had a hell of a time getting it to stick. It kept flaking off. Painting and drybrushing it were impossible. I tried on bare plastic, on primer, and on a base coat of normal acrylic.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The bases I tried the flakes were falling off if I just inverted the base.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It was happening even when I had primer or a base coat down.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The snail rider is the best mini I've seen in a long time.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

You'd assume the community site would be the perfect place to put an index of links to all the warscolls. But I guess GW doesn't think so.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is there an ETA on other races for Shadespire?

It seems fun, but I'm partial to Skaven.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rush finished some Skaven mans for an event tomorrow.

I had to kitbash up a Warp-grinder since it seems to be perpetually out of stock.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Only if you play it wrong.

My 2k Skryre list only has 22 models in it. Game ends as a blowout one way or the other.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Injuryprone posted:

I'm glad your one army comp makes 2k fast.

:thejoke:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That list should be fine. GH 2017 hurt clan rats pretty bad with the new crown of conquest.

The game is pretty straightforward. No real tricky rules you need to remember. Just make sure to keep track of how many from each unit dies for battleshock purposes.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

No way would they call a new army "Fishmen"

Probably something like "Fyshmeen".

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

We need those Grot Sky Pirates that have been rumored since forever

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Moose-Alini posted:

I tried figuring out what they call all their days and how the calendar works. Was almost done! But then two days had the same date...

To be honest, probably a typo. Cometsday should be on the 3rd.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

S.J. posted:

Are stormfiends supposed to go on 60mm bases?

That's what I put mine on and it looks good.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

S.J. posted:

Sick. What's a good loudout for them? I was thinking about doing two units with just the ratling guns, or maybe 2 ratling guns/1 warpfire thrower. Then a third melee unit with whatever.

Warpfire throwers are basically the best choice for them. Sadly you have to either get converting or buy bits if you want to run all them all as such. The kit only comes with enough for one.

I've never had good luck with the melee ones, mainly because their gun options are so good and their melee is already fairly decent ( 4+, 3+, Ap-, 2dam).

You can crank them to 11 by either running the Gautfyre Skorch part of the Skryre Battalion and having them tunnel up next to the opponent's big scary thing, or something like the Warpgnaw spell to move them up the board fast. 6d3 mortal wounds per squad is hard to shake off.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

S.J. posted:

Well, since they're also Moulder, I was gonna run a packmaster or two with them for the +1 to hit/charge bonuses. Holy poo poo that Gautfyre though what the gently caress it just gets to deploy anywhere?

Yeah. Gautfyre is nuts. Well worth the points tax of the battalion.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

S.J. posted:

250 points is rough. Do you still have to create the Battalion out of 2-5 Enginecovens? If so, drat, that's 300 points at least. I'm assuming you can't have one Warlock count for more than one Enginecoven?

Minimum you have to have one Arch Warlock and two Warlock engineers.

Remember you get one free reroll you can use for anyone in the battalion on the hero phase.

Popping up and torching your opponent's centerpiece is well worth it. I usually run two Stormfiend units and 3 warpfyre throwers in the gautfyre scorch. It kills most anything.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's some Mantic rat minis that are crazy easy to convert to acolytes. Just need to make some green stuff globes for them to hold.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Here's mine, in the front row. Sorry, only picture I have on hand.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

S.J. posted:

I'm gonna thank you again for the conversion idea, because I can pick up a box of clan rats, use the gas mask heads I have left over from my plagueclaw catapults to make the globadiers.

They'll look even better if you can add a tank/backpack of sorts too.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It's like mad libs where they picked "blood" for every adjective.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Big part of why generic Order lists are good is because they have a ton of options.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Desiden posted:

Any rumors if/when non-pestilens skaven might get a battletome or at least more support? Got a bunch of rats sitting and waiting, once I finish my stormcast painting, so about the time the sun goes out.

It'll happen right after Order gets another few dozen battletomes.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm hoping Skaven and/or the ally system gets touched on. I impulse bought a second-hand Thanquol and Boneripper to use with my Skryre rats. Turns out there aren't enough ally points sub 2500 to bring him in. I don't really want to have to run 60 clan rats and lose my Skryre allegiance bonus.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Tadhg posted:

A lot off the kits from the end of WHFB and now Sigmar are stupidly fragile and are just begging to get broken. I don't understand the trend.

I assembled a unit of Sisters of the Thorn unit that has a leaping cavalry model attached to the base by a single ankle. poo poo's gorgeous and kinetic, but I'm afraid to touch it let alone transport it.

My only "new" models are Stormfiends and a Doomwheel.

I've already had hoses on all the Stormfiends break and the flag off the Doomwheel. drat fiddly bits.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If Sigmarines started out with that styling I don't think the backlash against them would have been as bad. These ones actually have character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is there a ballpark guess of the points value of the sides in the Soul Wars box? Or are we waiting til the release for that info?

• Locked thread