Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Here is my father's Fulvia. They are quirky and well engineered cars, but it is not difficult to see why they went bankrupt. When new this car was more expensive in UK than Jag E-type.

Edit: To continue with the subject of needlessly flamboyant Italian engineering in relatively mundane cars. This sandcast aluminum creation is the standard oil pan of a 60's 1.3 litre family sedan (Alfa Giulia):

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Then there's AR51, 1952-54 military jeep.

It has DOHC engine, dry sump lubrication and independent double unequal length wishbone suspension with torsion bar spring. In 1954 Italian military switched a more simple FIAT made jeep. Go figure.

The first gen FIAT Campagnola was in production until 1973:

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
^ Good decision. All the owners I now have seemed happy with their Giulias. Some have considered "Veloce" seats mandatory, but they can be ordered also for non-Veloce models. Are you in Europe or US?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I went to Alfa club trackday with the GTV6. One of the guys had just received his Qiulia QV. Kudos to him for taking it track and participating in a "time-attack" competition. Here's the two most recent Alfa RWD sports sedans,separated by 30 years:

Queuing for the time-attack. GTV6 in front was the fastest car of the day. My GTV6 at the back.

My GTV6 on the pitlane.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Apparently the 200 hp petrol Alfa Giulias sold in Europe only differ from the 280 hp models through software. So you can buy the cheaper 200 hp model and just change the software from the 280 hp model. Tuners also offer the same 310 - 320 hp programs for both of them. So 200 hp -> 320 hp with just a software change...

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
It sells 4-5 times more than S60 in Europe. In US they are about the same. Currently Giulia is selling ~3500 units (mostly in Europe) per month with slight upwards trend. If the US sales would reach European levels it would be close to the 70 000 per year target.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

spoiler alert it won't, Alfa's dealer network is poo poo

It is very much poo poo in Europe as well.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Wheel transport to the track:

Over a blind crest...

...and downhill right on to a bridge.

After a short trip onto gravel I came to the conclusion that I need a better seat so that I can keep the hands on the steering wheel:

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 27, 2017

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I went to the third Alfa club trackday of the season which was very wet. The GTV6 tended to understeer heavily and I had use the throttle to get it to turn in slower corners. Just before the "time-attack" competition I detached the front antiroll bar, which helped a lot. I finished 3rd / 8 in the modified car class. Since then I've driven it without the ARB also in dry and it is not that bad... I should probably try to switch back to the original ARB or get an adjustable blade version.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 27, 2017

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think it is Magna Actimax. In normal conditions it is 100% RWD with a LSD rear diff. Once the rear starts slipping it can transfer up to 50% of torque to front. Front diff is open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doKtqvktbFY

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 6, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Test fitting ITBs on a 24v 75.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 14, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
It is a unfinished trackday 75 project my father bought from another guy I know. Then another local guy had a set of AHM ITBs for sale at unresistable price so here they are. It is a 3.0 24v with cams, high compression pistons, solid lifters and little bit of head work. It should make 300+ hp. Several people have claimed 100 hp/l from 24v bussos with just AHM ITBs and exhaust without any internal work on the engine. Jim Kartalamakis (Alfa guys may know the name from engine books) from Greece provided exhaust headers which await installation. I would sure like to have a set for my GTV6 as well.

For my GTV6 (3.0 24v as well) the goal for this winter is to rewire everything driveline related and move to a standalone ecu from the current 166 Motronic setup. I've also got new rear brake calipers and an adjustable blade front swaybar waiting for installation. The 30 mm non- adjustable swaybar I had is too stiff with my current setup. Too much understeer. Courier just brought this from Demon Tweeks. I intend to use this to wire ecu, wideband and instruments from scratch without relays or fuses.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
The GTV6 currently has a 164 3.0 24v running 166 Bosch ME2.1 management with drive-dy-wire throttle. For some reason the combination is not really giving out the power and torque it should. Maybe it is related to missing vehicle speed information or something. So the goal with the standalone is to remove the possibility that the ecu is holding it back. It also uses an adapted 166 wiring loom which is messy.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Group A GTV6 at Spa:

Group A 75 at Spa:

Spa WTCC '87. The red Alfas are factory cars.

This is pretty much what a factory Group A 75 engine bay looked like in period.

Engine of Oliver Koerfgen's 75. He is aiming for 500 hp. (The car is a former Group A as well)

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 19, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A friend's 75 went to dyno. 342 hp / 444 Nm at wheels.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's a pretty big snail. did stock transaxle and such hold up to it or is there a bunch of custom work?

So far they have. The whole driveline backwards from engine is stock turbo. The engine is a 2.0 TS with pistons, H-profile rods and stronger cylinder liners. Runs on E85. It runs on MS2. VVT gave 50 Nm more in midrange now that it is active.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 29, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I've got a GTV6 but i'm 180 cm with short legs so I am well suited to Italian cars.

With you measurements I guess you would have to sacrifice the idea of a having a passenger behind you and maybe look in to steering column extenders.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 31, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Nice. I see that you went with the updated Ferrari engined version. My father was looking at those. To me a 4.2 manual seemed to be the model of choice. Which gearbox you have?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
His interest switched to a XKR. In the Maserati he liked the 3.2 (twin turbo Maserati engine) styling better, but the updated 4.2 (Ferrari engined) is certainly better car.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Crosspost from the news thread:

Alfa is planning a 600 hp Giulia based GTV and a +700 hp mid engined 8C. GTV with an e-turbo, AWD and torque vectoring. 8C with a electric motor on front axle and probably plug-in. Diesels are to disappear. Every model to offer electrification. 6 PHEVs with at least 50 km all electric range.

https://www.fcagroup.com/capitalmarketsday/Presentations/FCA%20June%201%202018%20CMD_Alfa%20Romeo%20Brand.pdf

Maserati to profile as an electric luxury brand, with Alfieri as a halo model. AWD, 2 s 0-60 mph. Full range on EV models (4). Everything is PHEV or EV.

https://www.fcagroup.com/capitalmarketsday/Presentations/FCA%20June%201%202018%20CMD_Maserati%20Brand.pdf

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
It is easier to hide the cost of a CF monocoque in a 200k€ supercar than a 50k€ sportscar.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I got a 75 Turbo Evo exhaust manifold from Greece. These are quite rare these days.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
That is an ugly cage but I guess they did not want to butcher the dash. I wonder what is up with the aluminum (?) plates that cover front attachment points of the cage.

I principle I very much approve though. I’ve always liked the GT4. I would prefer one over a GTB or GTS (unless the GTB was a GTO replica).

Edit: The GT4 installation may provide enough access that there is no need to drop the engine for riming belts like in 348.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 11, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I don’t know the source for the Ferrari bit, but I saw this elsewhere:

https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/media_center/fca_press_release/FiatDocuments/2018/july/FCA_Announcement.pdf

https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/media_center/fca_press_release/FiatDocuments/2018/july/Statement_by_John_Elkann.pdf

Mike Manley
as CEO

Manley, born in Edenbridge, England, has been part of the Group Executive Council, FCA's governing body, since 2011.

He joined DaimlerChrysler in 2000 as director of network development at DaimlerChrysler UK. He held different international positions at DaimlerChrysler and then Chrysler before being appointed president and CEO of Jeep at post-bankruptcy Chrysler Group in June 2009

Ferrari:
The Board has named John Elkann as Chairman and will propose to Shareholders, at a meeting to be called in the coming days, that Louis C. Camilleri be named as CEO.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A few pictures from an Alfa track day on last Sunday:

This is a ~100 mph corner:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
That is a (originally) 1300 Giulia. Further exhibit concerning the corporate resemblance:

The 156 era was also underrepresented in the previous set by the fast but not very pretty silver 156. It has a supercharged 3.0 engine. The black 75 is a turbo TS with ~ 360 whp. Those were the fastest cars of the day.

• Locked thread