Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Mmm, unfortunately electronics isn't massively my thing, so unless it's really obvious, I may be a little stuck.

Even been out in the boonies at pitch-black-o'clock and had a vixen start screaming somewhere in the bushes behind you? Because Jesus Christ, you don't need that poo poo.

Not got a stupid feature where it won't power on without a good connection to the speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

No, because that would've stopped it powering on in the first place, so it can't be that.

Are you connecting it directly to the battery? I recall some Kenwoods needed to go straight off the battery terminals, not the loom, as they are so power hungry

Or

Are the speakers of the right impedance? Get it wrong with too low an impedance and you could be tripping the overload protection inside the unit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's probably full of spiders then.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

A counterfeit spark plug came in to the office today. Looked pretty good at first glance. Only some really small details gave it away. Well, that and throwing it in the xray machine, but who's got one of those at home?

Be careful out there. Buy from reputable sources.

I would like to know more about this.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Only in AI can we have a post 'So, a guy I know was drugged and raped and may die. Anyway, about these brake pads....'

spog
Aug 7, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Not much to say. Customer bought a double precious metal spark plug from Amazon, which had some pretty terrible reviews, which is unusual. Objectively speaking, NGK and Denso make the best plugs and even Bosch is pretty alright. There shouldn't be a lot to complain about from a consumer's point of view.

Anyway, sent it to us and with the naked eye, I could spot a couple things that looked weird - bad ground electrode weld, bad center electrode weld, the crimp looked off, the insulator marking was weird, lot number didn't match the production location on the box (or what would make sense for us logistically), the other markings on the metal shell was weird, insulator shape was slightly wrong, maybe some other problems here and there. But none of those things was obviously wrong. Well, and internal resistance was out of spec low, but there are also low and high resistance spark plugs.

Under the microscope, it looked much more like the center and ground electrodes weren't actually precious metal.

In the x-ray machine, it was missing internal components that our plugs have and the terminal shape didn't match ours (inside the insulator) so it was much more obviously fake based on that.

Because we're a large manufacturer, we run into counterfeits not uncommonly so we have a rep at Amazon who will help us take care of this stuff. Our Aftermarket VP gave them a call and I assume took care of that particular storefront, but there's bound to be others out there.

Are you able to share pictures of it? I am curious to see what a fake looks like.

Also, what was 'wrong' with it? i.e.if you stuck it in your engine, what would the issues be?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, I already completely melted down this season, but with a little prodding I could probably manage a second, less damaging meltdown :sludgepal:

I haven't slept in 3 days and this afternoon I got back from my psych appointment where I got told, "Your depression is looking less unipolar than it used to, let's put you on a second mood stabilizer and see how that goes. And if that doesn't work out for you, we can increase the dosage, or we can try some stronger stuff like clozapine or lithium."
To which I heard, "I'm going out of my way to avoid telling you that you're bipolar until you've actually slept and aren't presenting symptoms of hypomania. Let's be explicitly clear here, you are bipolar. Try to blow off some steam today, you're really excitable."
Talking to me different just because I'm a foot taller and 40 years younger than him, and in a building with no security personnel while in an erratic mental state... The nerve of some people

Their gross capacity rating is poo poo, so renting trailers is harder, according to my friend with a P71
She also says to make sure that it's wheels aren't late model cop wheels, because they're a bitch to find cheap tires for. Other than gas mileage, she LOVES that barge

E: I need a !Looks alike <-> Sounds alike! sticker in my brain. I always mix up Klonopin(clonazepam) with clonidine and clozapine

Get some loving sleep.

EDIT: Try a George Clooney movie: some of those will put you to sleep

spog fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 9, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Quote=!Edit

spog fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 9, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

The bikes would have frame numbers, but I don't know them. The reason it annoys me is that they're not worth much now, but I've had them for 15-20 years, so it's more sentimental value.

Insurance seem fairly easy to deal with. Later going to go and tidy up/do a list of what's gone walkies, sort out a temporary fix of garage door.

First, going to see if can find person across road who also supposedly got done, and swap details. This was clearly an organised/targetted thing, not just a couple of chavs grabbing loose stuff.

Did the police turn up?

I was pleasantly surprised when a crappy bike got stolen from our shed - they tried to get fingerprints and DNA from the broken bike chain (must have been watching CSI)

It does suck, sorry man.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Like the insurance and the police told me - it can take a long time to work out what you are missing - think carefully. I still find the odd tool that I don't have anymore that I clearly forgot about when writing it up.

I had very low expectations about my house insurance but in the end they were brilliant and made me good without any issues! - and replaced absolutely everything that I lost with the same or similar item. In many cases I got a better item back as they replaced my generic tool with a sealey/clarke equivalent, or I got a kit or similar item back! Not even any argument for the stuff that I didn't have copies of any purchase invoices for.

i am sure that if Dave racks his memory carefully, he'll remember that he had a 3,000 piece Snap-on toolset in that garage as well, it's just that he can't find the receipt for it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I can get a 2 camera wired swann system and an additional wireless camera for about £200-250, that'll probably do me. Going to have a chat with my neighbors so they don't feel I'm taking liberties tomorrow.

Forgive me if you know this already, but be careful where you have them pointing. If it is outside your property boundary, you have to register with the ICO under the Data Protection Act - which costs £35/year

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv

spog
Aug 7, 2004

kastein posted:

Will you get in trouble if you put a big piece of chicken wire in the middle of the door connected to an electric fence transformer, so if someone cuts through again they get lit up? I figure that would give any return customers a bit of a wakeup call that they should look elsewhere.

quote:

One in 20 householders admit they have rigged devices to halt a burglar.

However, the homeowners themselves risk jail as it is illegal to set a trap to injure or kill an intruder. Common booby traps include holes in floorboards, loose stairs, hidden trip wires, garden pits and even plant pots or ornaments attached to hidden strings.

According to the Crown Prosecution Service, a householder who "knew of an intended intruder and set a trap to hurt or kill them rather than involve the police would be acting with very excessive and gratuitous force and could be prosecuted."
In extreme cases, some property owners who have been repeatedly burgled have illegally set traps involving nail bombs or shotguns.

The study also found four in ten householders would arm themselves with objects they could hurl at an intruder.
Seven per cent would even use an axe and 14 per cent would use a knife.
Sixty-five per cent of British householders would arm themselves with bats, walking sticks and other household items to use as protection if they were to come face-to-face with an uninvited guest.
early one in three (29 per cent) would use a cricket bat, baseball bat or tennis racquet to protect themselves, while 17 per cent would reach for a walking stick to keep themselves safe.
Forty-one per cent would arm themselves with anything they could throw at an intruder, while eight per cent would approach a burglar bare-handed.

Men are much more likely than women to try to stop an intruder.
More than seven in ten men said they would approach a burglar, compared to 54 per cent of women.

Only us Brits would consider a tennis racquet as an acceptable defensive weapon.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sinestro posted:

loving Logan just lost me my best friend I think

he hates me and will probably never talk to me again

how the gently caress was I supposed to know that Professor Xavier was going to make him upset because it reminded him of his grandfather? he was the one who said he was spoiled on the flim and we both knew nothing

what the gently caress does that have anything to do with me not liking the movie? like he sent me a text about not wanting me to make fun of it when we were on the way out and he was staying behind but loving surprise I turned my phone off in a goddamn loving movie theater

I'm having a panic attack but I already took more of my Xanax than I'm supposed to and I don't want to actually die over this (very much)

Somebody in this post has mental issues...But it isn't you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Dual.

So much tension.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo. One of our neighbors tried to kill himself tonight. He's been having a real rough time socially and financially and I guess he just gave up. Thankfully he called his mom first and she called the police and they got EMTs here fast but it's touch and go right now. I don't know the guy all too well but he was always a nice dude to talk to and he was into cars and trucks and poo poo. I hope he makes it.

Another one??

spog
Aug 7, 2004

My 'boring 2 day in a hotel' annual company meeting turned out to be a cover story for 'reinterview for your jobs, cause some of you are getting canned'

Anyone know how to smuggle a hotel bed and TV out with your luggage?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Well, traditionally, the TV goes out the window. But it only counts if it's still plugged in and working when it hits the pool.

There is a heath club attached to the hotel, so I suppose I could interrupt the Mothers and Children's Aquarobics session by carrying the tv there, but it might lose a little of the Rock and roll impact.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Not a company car, so would be a little counterproductive.

I did briefly consider driving my car over the company laptop 'by mistake' - but then I realised I should keep it for working on my resume.

I could trash the company phone but as it is a Windows Phone, that would be more of a mercy killing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

This feels like something that would've happened in Office Space, is there any chance to burn things? Milton was the hero of that story, right?

I'm sitting in a hotel on the company's dime, but they haven't enabled a tab for the room so room service is out.

I've been stealing things from the breakfast bar, but there's not a lot you can do with a yoghurt and a banana. (Well, not without a few drinks in me first. )

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cage posted:

So did you already find out if you were canned or not? Because if they weren't planning on doing it to you they might change their minds after all this.

I get to interview for the new job next week.

19 such jobs, 23 existing employees.

To my eyes, the new job seems remarkably similar to the old job.
But the job title is different, so it must be completely different to the old one and I must be mistaken. Fortunately for the company, this happens to help with the redundancy process - such luck for them!

I don't know where the stolen banana is. I've lost it somewhere and I am very confused how I managed to do so.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

everdave posted:

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/tbkRukp

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/8UidOFm

Pic links, not sure how to embed in posting from phone

At first I thought you were being an OCD hysteric over a few light surface scratches, but now I understand why you're an unhappy bunny.

Did the offspring wash the car with a bucket of rocks?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Well I'm down with flu-like symptoms and the Stockholm syndrome is such that I keep thinking I can't take a day off tomorrow because I have so much to do and so much later in the week to prepare for but if I'm this bad tomorrow morning I'm not going to be that guy that makes everyone else ill gently caress it.

My joints ache and my total intake today has been half a packet of biscuits, a bag of crisps and loads of coffee. Real healing food there right?

I'm so sick that I just spent an entire 30 mins watching a low budget Nic Cage movie before I realised it was shite.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

That first part is just Corporateamerica.txt
Penny pinching is everywhere you look, and it's always in the most asinine ways. My boss was only allowed to give out a single 3% raise, three 2% raises, and twenty one 1% raises a year in a department of 35 workers, but I only got told "be more careful" when I destroyed almost $40,000 in medical equipment on accident because it was improperly loaded for shipping and I sliced through the seals while removing it from boxes...
Or at my last job when they just sent an email explaining the process of closing, instead of taking the time to train supervisors how to close the bar. Our inventory was permanently hosed and every bartender would be scrutinized for wasting booze. All the while, we'd have cases and cases of liquor that ended up getting literally poured down the drain, but none to make the profitable drinks that we were being instructed to push on customers. They also fired all of the maintenance staff and we were left on one of our biggest weekends without working taps because not paying a guy to fix and maintain the pressurized system that generates your revenue is good business

That might be true, I've only actually interacted with a few and the majority of them didn't know anything that the screen doesn't tell them. Of course, they could've also been actively avoiding conversation with customers because they hate being at work, which I can't realistically fault them for

Business, Finance, and Careers › Corporate is the worst form of job, except for all the others

spog
Aug 7, 2004

A TV programme about cars is Very Serious Business:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umWmzN1MqWs

spog
Aug 7, 2004

quote:

Edd China reveals real reason for Wheeler Dealers departure
Posted in News by Sniff Petrol on Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017

Wheeler Dealers, yesterday

quote:

Edd China is to leave the hit TV programme Wheeler Dealers after admitting that he can’t understand a single word Mike Brewer says.

‘For 14 years Edd hasn’t followed anything that’s come out of Mike’s mouth,’ said a source close to the 7’8” gloves wearer. ‘He’s basically spent the last 13 series’ just smiling and nodding, and then fitting some new wheels and hoping that’s okay.’

‘Edd tried his best to understand what Mike was on about, but he was never sure if it was some kind of East London patois or if he’d had a stroke,’ another friend of the 9’10” standing-underneath-cars fan revealed. ‘In most cases he’d just say “absolutely” and then de-cloud the headlights and hope that was alright.’

‘Edd is looking forward to moving on to new projects involving his three passions,’ revealed a producer who worked with the 11’4” too-many-consonants enthusiast. ‘Which is to say, cars, engineering, and being able to have conversations in which he’s not just saying “uh-huh, uh-huh” and hoping the other person goes away soon.’

China has publically wished his replacement, Ant Anstead, the best of luck whilst privately he has emailed him details of a Linguaphone course for Cock-er-nee along with a note reading, ‘This probably won’t work so just give a thumbs up and bury your head in the engine bay until he’s gone’.

Wheeler Dealers will continue on the Velocity Channel who bought the format for an unusually low price, re-built the cylinder heads, had it re-sprayed and sold it for a profit margin that didn’t really seem to account for all the work put into it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

You don't really realize how much good farts matter until they begin to betray you.

Surely the ultimate fart betrayal is the shart?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

rdb posted:

Living in the present, let's see... my 15 month old son died a month ago and it still feels like I stood in front of a cannon, my employment contract expires tomorrow so I will be officially unemployed, car was in an accident and still not fixed so my wife and I only have one vehicle, and I had been riding my motorcycle but the rear tire corded and the tire changer/balancer I ordered a month ago hasn't come in.

Oddly enough I do have money but for all the wrong reasons. Retention bonuses and life insurance. Would give it all back in a second just to hug my kid :(

I'm done won't bitch again.

Well....poo poo.

For what it's worth, we are here for you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

rdb posted:

Thanks all. I really just need time and I try to focus on all the positive memories. Sometimes emotion gets the best of me and I just want the world to stop but it doesn't.

Unfortunately I am not the only one out there that's experienced this and I do have people IRL to talk with. I can't discuss the details beyond what already made it to Facebook. It was pneumococcal meningitis and he was vaccinated.

My advice to those with kids, just give them a hug, spend time with them, and let them know you love them. Realize that they are, in fact, kids and not little adults. Time doesn't go backwards, and we are all mortal.

If it is any small consolation, you gave him a life full of love for the whole of his time here.

Few of us can experience that over our whole life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

Not in as many words, but that was th jist of it. I asked him if he'd go along with it if he were in my shoes and his response was "we're not asking you to sign away your ability to find work." Based on that I'm not even sure if he knows what "noncompete" means.

Absolutely no interest in returning to work there either, unless they'd be willing to add a zero to the end of my previous salary.

Is your poo poo-eating grin hurting your cheek muscles yet?

'If maniacal glee lasts more than 4 hours, consult a physician'

• Locked thread