Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ed sheeran has 9 of the top 10 singles in the UK currently lol we deserve something bad for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Is this pop eating itself or more people just tuning out of what's mass market popular and into their own filter bubbles/musical echo chambers? Music has always had fragmented scenes, but it's never been easier to be part of one without leaving your house.

streaming has broken the singles charts because peolpe just listen to the same songs over and over

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Overminty posted:

I recall a brief interview with someone who worked at the charts compilation company saying that they tried to factor that in by reducing the number of listens by some arbitrary amount.

googling got me a bbc article that 100 listens counts as a sale

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Close. Depressive suicidal black metal. It's super goofy and dumb. Emo for metallers.

i thought that was just metal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The deputy governor of the bank of england has just resigned 2 weeks into the job after failing to disclose her brother worked for barclays lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cerv posted:

Events can still derail hard Brexit. A worsening economy could force Tories to come to their senses.

lol May will happily destroy the UK economy before brexit if she thinks hard brexit is popular and things would get really bad/interesting once it happens

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Why are people in this thread unable to tell the difference between xenophobia and racism?

racism is less letters to type

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I still think it should have said stay and not remain

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hummus is alright i don't know why people love it so much though. I'm currently eating some nik naks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I voted remain and live in Newcastle. I'm not particularly keen on hummus but I love falafel.

:same:

broccoli is the best green imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

Hummus is nice but "chickpeas are best enjoyed in a curry" is wrong - chickpeas are best enjoyed in the form of a nice thick slice of fainá on top of an argie pizza brimming with mozzarella in a local 'hood pizzeria.

Also as a mezze, baba ghanoush is clearly superior to hummus anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

avocados are overrated

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

On sunday louise mensch said live on the BBC that andrew breitbart was murdered and now this

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/841674540929409024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TinTower posted:

It's part of the reason why I prefer STV, as it's both preferential and proportional. Geekery about quotas and fractional transfers aside, it's pretty simple for someone to grasp: "I'd like these people elected and in this order".

I'd be happy to settle for AMS or AV, though.

Is there any reason the lib dems went for AV instead of another system? I probably should have paid more attention during the referendum

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think I could ever tire of highlighting the grubby, opportunistic face of nationalism.

lmao he's salty

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

No it was more the "Well the Democrats haven't done poo poo for me and my life has gotten demonstrably worse under them. Hey, Trump says he'll bring us jobs and security while the Democrats are saying WE'LL GIVE YOU MORE OF WHAT YOU'VE BEEN GETTING very loudly. Guess I'll vote for him". Horrible thing is, if the Democrats had actually campaigned properly or even offered the people something other than "Well, we're not as bad as Trump!" then they probably would have won handily. That said, Democratic hubris as well as the American penchant for electoral fraud and voter purging (both parties do it) cost them their firewall in the rust belt and the election.

the funny thing is they're now all going to die under his healthcare plan while he doesn't bring the jobs back

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I know that there are a lot of individually poo poo US reps / senators but it feels like "congress bad" has become some kind of self reinforcing reaction. Like it's an easy, uncontroversial thing for someone who's politically unengaged to say. I get similarly frustrated when people here say "they're all as bad as each other" about our MPs, ignoring the wonderful spectrum of badness that we have.

i think the general "congress bad" is probably because of how nisanely gerrymandered it is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i kind of want brexit to be as catastrophic as possible so everyone learns a lesson but i know that its extremely bad for everyone if that happens and nobody will learn a lesson anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Hermit kingdoms have the choice between agricultural self-sufficiency and famine. We have the technology for either, but one of the two is objectively more pleasant. I can imagine us picking the other out of spite though.

it would be very british to continue to inflict ourselves on the rest of the world its true

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

that marine is no longer guilty of murder. its now manslaughter due to diminished responsibility

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

we can trust them with the economy though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

my mam grew all sorts of veg on her allotment here in newcastle and the weather is poo poo for growing a bunch fo stuff. Tomatoes don't grow well though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

"Haha Labour debt 500 billion"

"Yes okay but how is the country going to work after Brexit?"

"Corbyn bad"

"What kind of tr-"

"Corbyn"

"Stop-"

"Corbyn bad"

it does explain tintower's posting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Yvette Cooper for head of the party? Yes? No?

I know someone who has worked for her and in a shocking turn of events she an absolutely poo poo boss

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Osborne just got himself a new job as the editor of the evening standard

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I liked his essay on land monopoly.

Also he had a second run as PM before being replaced by noted non drug user Anthony Eden, so maybe we like our leaders working under the influence for some reason.

it shows i've got something in common with them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cerv posted:

speaking of "stopping the wave of right wing populism sweeping the globe"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/17/tony-blair-launches-pushback-against-frightening-populism

Tony Blair is launching a “new policy platform to refill the wide open space in the middle of politics” aimed at combating a “frightening authoritarian populism” that he says is undermining west’s belief in democracy.

The former prime minister said his new Institute for Global Change was more than a thinktank since it would aim to arm front-rank politicians with strategies and policies to rebuild the centre, and combat populism caused by a cultural and economic revolt against the effects of globalisation.

he's definitely not massively responsible for this in the UK lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/CaitrionaPerry/status/842407878120075266?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/841281700839739392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

journalists are salty as gently caress about the evening standard lol

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/842752332974735360

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Young liberals do suk it's true

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

In weird as gently caress and probably counterproductive news:

Transaction analysis to prevent money laundering and people trafficking is a good thing, and they've outlined several ways that that they're doing that through monitoring restaurants, airlines, anonymous payments, etc. but that headline. :psyduck:

I can't think of any time that giving the impression that you're policing contraception or scaring sex workers away from purchasing prophylactics has ever had good results.

can't wait for the police to smash in the door of an extremely horny couple

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The ogvernmenr should make some sort of orbital death laser instead of renewing trident imo. Would create tins of jobs if the whole thing including the rockets to launch were made by us

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JFairfax posted:

I think Jose played too much command and conquer back in the day

We could try the proposal that involves launching massive tungsten rods from space at targets instead i guess.

Osborne only applied for the evening standard after friends asked him for advice on if they should the snake

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

We spent most of a year doing medical history.

Which was fun if not very applicable.

that one doctor with a 300% fatality rate in a single surgery is fun to study

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I can't really see May calling a snap election after invoking article 50 because what those 2 years really needs is a bunch of lost time on a general election but considering Davis is months into his job and has apparently done no work at all maybe it wouldn't change anything

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Don't Lol me posted:

I'll be quiet - it's pretty plain that there's no self awareness about the whole situation, and that it's all about being right instead of actually doing anything or improving things.

you say this now lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

and i must meme posted:

Why is May so popular?

I just don't get it

she's giving the people what they want drat the consequences

unfortunately the people are extremely dumb

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

why are you banned from the black people subforum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

No idea. Maybe I cluelessly said some bad poo poo, maybe they're randomly throwing in posters as part of the 'sundown town' experience they're simulating as part of the current forum game.

thats a shame i was hoping you'd done something fun rather than it just being the insane mod

• Locked thread