Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I thought Farage initially wanted a peerage but switched to a knighthood after realising that becoming a Lord would require him to step down as an MEP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Breath Ray posted:

Why shouldn't they have expected the current level of support to be continued outside the EU?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Breath Ray posted:

What are you trying to say here

That the leave campaign claimed the excess funds available from leaving the EU would go to the NHS instead.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Breath Ray posted:

the choice was either invest in Cornwall and invest in the eu or invest in the eu only so cornwall qualified for eu investment. no sane govt would pay twice the taxpayers allowance would have a field day

14 AD. Mary and Joseph take Jesus to a really nice bnb near St ives and they get stuck in a big traffic jam near to stonehenge

This says nothing about where the money will go when we're outside of the EU.

The leave campaign claimed it would go to the NHS.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I voted remain and live in Newcastle. I'm not particularly keen on hummus but I love falafel.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I know that there are a lot of individually poo poo US reps / senators but it feels like "congress bad" has become some kind of self reinforcing reaction. Like it's an easy, uncontroversial thing for someone who's politically unengaged to say. I get similarly frustrated when people here say "they're all as bad as each other" about our MPs, ignoring the wonderful spectrum of badness that we have.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Don't sign your tweets Jeremy!!!!!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

spectralent posted:

Is it time for another stirring round of "Who would replace Corbyn", "Anyone", "Please specify", "Anyone", etc etc?

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/842000077115781120

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

big scary monsters posted:

I was surprised to find out when I was in Norway last year that neither they nor any of the other Nordic countries have a national minimum wage. Neither do Switzerland or Austria. Instead they all have strong trade union movements and rely on collective bargaining to set wages across industries. I don't know enough about those countries to say whether that is a more effective approach, but certainly when I think inequality and poverty level wages I don't think of Sweden.

I have a few Norwegian relatives and they live very well, although they're not in entry level jobs. My understanding is that quality of life is good across the board though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Lord of the Llamas posted:

That's just a poo poo chair.

A stool?

god drat it flaps

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

SpaceCommie posted:

I'm guessing it's "if I were a member of the LGBT community I'd be happy to be open at work."

It's still a really stupid hypothetical question.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Does anyone fancy a job as a liaison between Corbyn and the PLP?

quote:

An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Political Liaison Officer to join the Leader of the Opposition’s team. The Political Liaison will help support and develop the relationship between the Leader of the Labour Party and labour stakeholders, including councillors, Labour Group Leaders, MPs and CLPs.

The successful candidate will have a working knowledge of the aims of The Labour Party and its structures, experience of working in a campaigning or community setting as well as experience of preparing written and verbal briefings.

Please note this is a fixed-term contract for the period only that Jeremy Corbyn is the Leader of the Labour Party and Leader of the Opposition.

http://www.w4mpjobs.org/JobDetails.aspx?jobid=60013

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

TinTower posted:

Attacker named as British citizen Khalid Masood, 52, from Kent.

I say we ban 52-year-olds from Kent until we can figure out what the hell is going on.

Apparently Southern Rail are just trying to keep Londoners safe

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

OwlFancier posted:

There's a vicar writing for the guardian?

He was the chancellor at St Paul's when the occupy movement were there and resigned after it turned out responding to them in a Christian manner was wrong

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It's always seemed weird to me that pound coins are worth counterfeiting these days. Between the raw materials, setup costs, storage and getting them out into circulation the return on investment must be pretty slim.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

TinTower posted:

Reducing to time served is ridiculous though. At the very least the original minimum sentence should have been imposed.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you custodial sentences take time already served into account as standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Breath Ray posted:

I think that charity should pay the minimum wage but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater here. The guy says it helped people off the streets and housed and fed them for nothing while they gained valuable experience and esprit de corps. What would be left over anyway if they were paid 200 quid a week and had to rent accommodation and buy food?

Isn't this relatively easy to resolve by upping wages to min wage and also offering workers food / clothing / accommodation at below market rates instead of providing them "free"?

Edited for quotation marks around free, no need to be so hostile.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 31, 2017

• Locked thread