Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I learned about Attlee from the previous UKMT, seems like he was a pretty good PM, would be nice to resurrect him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

I wonder if future generations will have to study the life and times of Jeremy Corbyn?

Nah, mostly flint knapping, pottery, gathering and hunting, you know, the essentials

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

Because of complete social collapse or because of the logical end result of all these "degrees in basket weaving and gender studies, couldn't make it up" and "why are they teaching our kids trigonometry and cellular biology instead of [growing food|doing taxes|loving are country|insert personal bias]" types?

Complete destruction of modern civilisation. Also flint knapping is actually loving hard to get right.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Paxman posted:

Sometimes, spirits in the Labour Party can run high

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/843947779957248000

Look, I think the guy is a decent enough politician, but he's boring as all gently caress. Unfortunately, today's politics is pretty much celebrity roulette, you can't afford to be boring. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is and it sucks.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Move all Tories, Blue Labour MPs, the PM, the ministers, and all royalty to the bottom of the Mariana Trench IMO

gently caress wait that's the plot to Bioshock I guess

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Isn't this mostly because unions have been on decline thanks to the efforts of neoliberalism?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
My condolences to the families of the 4 victims and the wounded.

Unfortunately rear end in a top hat alt-right politicians are going to use this to destroy the lives of thousands. Looking forward to much more stringent immigration controls that will help prevent absolutely nothing.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Just ban people

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I've seen all-black outfit police (military police?) just walking around one of the most central high streets in London, touting assault rifles around, didn't really bat an eye at that.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

I think that's actually just the normal armed police actually, they just dress like that cos they're a bit fash.

They looked like this

So yeah, armed police, their assault rifles (not submachineguns) were full tacticlol too.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Culture shock I guess. You don't really see police all that often in Buenos Aires, and when you do it's usually the typical street corner guy with a high-vis vest and maybe a pistol. I remember the first time I saw police in New York I thought "jesus christ that guy is fit as gently caress", in my mind police=out-of-shape had been common sense until I started travelling.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Piers Morgan is a repulsive thing attempting to act human but Katie Hopkins somehow manages to one-up him on sheer detestability.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Renaissance Robot posted:

Everyone I know over the age of 50 tells me prison is luxury actually, and that inmates are treated better than geriatrics in retirement homes, better than hotel living even. It must be true, because when have boomers ever been wrong about anything?

As an immigrant, I demand my free mansion.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Wait there is a thing called an "industrial shotgun"?

E: Wait 2 someone has a job where they have to take an 8 gauge shotgun and shoot the inside of furnaces to "service" them?

I just learned about this and it looks like a thing the Terminator would wield.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
London is actually pretty cool and good besides house prices AFAICT. The thing you have to understand is that most large capital cities in the world are nightmarish hellscapes, because high densities of people are usually bad news. In this context, London is amazingly good. Sure, there's about half a dozen better capital cities in Europe, but that's about it really, if you want better you have to go to non-capital cities and those have their own issues.

Grain of salt and all that though, I live in a loving bubble and haven't experienced the poor side of London. Still, for all his faults, between Sadiq Khan and a Tory I'd obviously vote for Khan because urgh lesser of two evils.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Anti-brexit march at several places in the city, gotta get my liberal elite rear end off and get to one even if protesting will do jack-poo poo (not ironic)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It begins, the Great loving Up.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So I started playing Bioshock: Infinite, which had been in my backlog since forever, yesterday. I'm finding it extremely appropiate for the times.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

endlessmonotony posted:

A perfect analogy: The EU's like vaccinations. Nobody especially likes it, but most people go along with it and nobody trusts the loons who say we should opt out!

"Wee small country has a referendum on bringing back smallpox - the results will surprise you!"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Wait a second, you have private companies issuing parking fines? Hahaha that's so ridiculously neoliberal.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
You know, I'm starting to think that this planet is just some kind of quarantined reality show. The advanced aliens are just cloaking, recording us and broadcasting everything live all over the Virgo Supercluster. In the beginning, they were replacing our politicians with shapeshifters, but it turns out the shapeshifters were causing less chaos than actual humans, so now they just let us break everything on our own.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Namtab posted:

I just realised that I only have a few days left to come up with a good name for the next thread in which details will roll out about our independence from Europe, human rights and thoughts

UKMT April 2017 - gently caress

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Namtab posted:

I hope that when our economy is garbage because I talked the country down too much they at least give me independence day as a bank holiday

Holidays? What are you, some Brussels Bureaucrat? You're going to work 6 days a week, 14 hours a day, and you're going to like it, because stiff upper lip.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I'm not sure if I can obey the forum guidelines on drunkposting if reality continues to take the current trajectory.

In this brave new world, drunk is the new sober, IMO

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

e: 1952 - ... Charlie Chaplin is caught up in an immigration ban from the US due to his controversial mustache

I think the Mayans were right and civilisation is cyclical in a way.

I guess we're getting a new Cold War? At least maybe we'll get a new Space Race out of it and a terran diaspora.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Private Speech posted:

That's not how giant meteorites work, which the thread clearly repeatedly voted for.

Ah yes, Giant Asteroid "Don't Know" has been gaining in the polls.
Well, at least when it scrapes us off the face of the planet, it will pick up some extremophile bacteria and will seed life somewhere else.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Private Speech posted:

That's not how it works either AFAIK. It just kinda shatters v :( v

I guess we can rename the asteroid as "UK's Economy" then

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Ah, the Great Repeal Bill.

"We'll initially copy-paste all applicable EU law such as workers' rights into UK law"
"Ugh. But can we get rid of those ghastly EU regulations?"
"That will be for Parliament to decide *wink wink*"

UK workers (me included? I dunno really) will get so shafted if Tories continue to be majority by 2019.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Well, on the one hand, quality of life in Britain will decrease around 30%, but on the other hand, we will TAKE BACK CONTROL... so that we can erode workers' rights and decrease quality of life for the non-rich another 30% or so.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
A despicable lifestyle choice, made by degenerates, for which we will hopefully one day find a cure. But enough about the far-right.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pissflaps posted:

Interesting deviation from Merkel's line earlier this week.

I guess some good news at least. Tory scum will still gently caress it up.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
At this point it would just be healthier to remove all those red tories from Labour. They're not making the party more electable, they're actively detrimental, and their policies suck.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Kokoro Wish posted:

Thank you for deeply horrifying me. I don't think that people can really deny that some people are trying to return us to the Victorian era anymore with this.

Child labour coming soon to a xenophobic island near you!

Oh yeah and those pesky workers' rights, healthcare and education, you don't need those, you just need some elbow grease and a stiff upper lip.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's like people completely forgot about Charles Dickens or something.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Tesseraction posted:

More realistically: for us to have a less-optimal-but-still-bearable trade deal

It's probably going to be just this.

Hopefully.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Cue in Gibraltar's citizens used as negotiating chips.

quote:

After lobbying from Spanish diplomats, a clause has been inserted in the EU’s draft Brexit negotiating guidelines that appears to allow Spain to exclude Gibraltar from any transitional single market access arrangement or future trade deal with the UK if it is not satisfied with the status of the territory.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/31/future-of-gibraltar-at-stake-in-brexit-negotiations

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pissflaps posted:

A student trade union member. What a world.

What does this even mean? The vast, vast majority of college/university students are employed. It's a very small privileged minority that gets to study full time.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Pissflaps is an Old so university was probably free or something back when he was a whippersnapper.

The presence of good public universities only changes the ratio slightly. There's a very good public university in Argentina (the UBA is considered to be better than almost all privates, actually), people still work while attending because you have to help your family, you have transport/books/materials costs, also building some work experience is kinda important so you don't graduate with zero experience, etc etc.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pissflaps posted:

This doesn't ring true.

Ok so in the UK it's not the VAST majority because first world I guess, but it's still a majority. https://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/aug/11/students-work-part-time-employability

quote:

More students now work to fund their studies, new research shows, with the number of working students now standing at 59%.

This was in 2014 so that's probably a bit over 60% now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Namtab posted:

I'm going to need you both to provide evidence to support your assertions, while bearing in mind that part time employment is still employment

I've already retracted the "vast" qualifier for the UK, but it's still a majority.

• Locked thread