Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
More than 2,500 former members of the armed forces entered the prison system last year, with experts warning a disproportionate number were being jailed for serious violence and sexual offences.

According to the Ministry of Justice, veterans represent between 4% and 5% of the UK prison population, raising concerns about the impact of the Afghanistan and Iraq campaigns on mental health issues in the armed forces.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/18/uk-armed-forces-veterans-prison-population-mental-health-issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

The ogvernmenr should make some sort of orbital death laser instead of renewing trident imo. Would create tins of jobs if the whole thing including the rockets to launch were made by us

I think Jose played too much command and conquer back in the day

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gonzo McFee posted:

Pissflaps is active, must be trying to distract from the fact that Tony Blair was openly praising George Osborne on Marr.

oh do you ahve a link?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
what's Atlee done for the labour party this century?

it's not saying best of all time, it's saying favorite, and they could have up to three.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nick Griffin, the former leader of the British Nationalist Party, has announced that he intends to move to Hungary "within six months". The far-right politician, who was ousted from the BNP in 2014, said he decided to emigrate to the eastern European country because it has a government that "doesn't want to commit national suicide" which he believes to be "very refreshing from someone coming from the west".

Griffin also praised Hungary for building a border wall to keep out refugees and for providing state help for large Hungarian families.

The move comes as something of a shock given the anti-immigration views formed a major part of Griffin's entire political career.

Speaking to Hungarian website 444, Griffin said: "There's already a sort of nationalist emigre community building up here. There's French, there's Italians and Swedes, and Brits as well, so it's only a trickle at present.

"I have no doubt at all that when the trouble really begins with al-Qaeda and Isis in western Europe, that trickle is going to become a flood."

He added: "And I hope that Hungary, the Hungarian government, the Hungarian people, will welcome people who are genuine refugees from western Europe but keep out the liberals who have brought western Europe to this state in the first place."

Griffin said he still intends to keep up with political activism while living in Hungary.

When asked where he intends to live in Hungary, the extreme right-winger said that while Budapest is a "fantastic city" he is a country boy by nature so will "probably live somewhere out in the sticks, as we would say in England".

http://flip.it/vQ6_4c

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pissflaps, instead of posting why don't you do something for your community, or join your local Labour Party. Or volunteer at a food bank or soup kitchen?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

Curse these cast in iron rules on airline specifics that would not be extremely easy to change and won't presumably see big changes when TTIP/CETA is forced through anyway.

Those are about transatlantic and Canadian trade, not intra European plane routes.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I would be very surprised If either the us or eu wanted to open up their internal flight markets

Also lol at the very idea of the EU allowing Canadian airlines access to Europe in return for getting access to the comparatively tiny market of Canada hahah loving hell just lol

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

Well since the whole thing is being done under a massive cloud of secrecy I suppose we'll just have to see what TTIP brings to the continent.

There is nothing stopping American companies opening up European subsidiaries at the moment.

Most major airlines already have partnership agreements with airlines in other countirs.

Eu is dominated by budget airlines and it's expensive to set up new routes and airlines.

Gonna be lots of industries that get hosed by brexit.

Ahaha goddamn the British are stupid

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

who carries out a terror attack in suede loafers?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the quicker the UK pulls up the drawbridge, fills in the tunnel and gets out of europe the better

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I dont save anything for my pension, it'll all work out okay.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
also lol if you think ur private / state pension isn't going to be raided / stolen by someone

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
IF you are really worried about sterling just get a dollar and or euro account and start accumulating those

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol the rock of the world.

the best bit is americans actually believe that.

manifest destiny never went away, kill brown people is still en vogue

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What do you feel this soft brexit agreement will consist of

Ps

Someone do a brexit hardness / softness chart along the lines of the Bristol stool chart

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

Work visas and free trade plus a continued contribution/take not far from what we paid with the rebate, minus CAP which will be handled internally. I would assume, and assume is the key word here, that reaction to that set up will be used as a sounding board for how maastricht is changed (because it probably will be) in future.

free trade, you mean tariff free? we keep our financial passporting? what about customs controls?

these are the things that the EU will not compromise on because that's what being an EU member is all about.

also what about trade deals we have to renegotiate with other countries?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
let's not forget that at the same time we have to negotiate trade deals with every other country on earth at the same time as handling EU negotiations.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lighten up twitterarti

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've dismantled my trouser press and can't seem to put it back together

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pistol_Pete posted:

Here is a long article by Dan Jarvis for discussion then:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/03/reuniting-and-renewing-kingdom-britain-beyond-brexit

It's a good piece I think, trouble is, the looming problems that he sets out in detail are so horrible that I'd prefer not to think about them, in the hope that perhaps they'll quietly go away. (they won't) Nice to hear him calling for heavier taxes on wealth, greater redistribution from the rich to the poor and a strong State being a prerequisite for stability and economic growth, though.

"In 2015, only 53% of school leavers in England achieved five good GCSE passes that included English and Maths."

Is this true? If so that is loving appalling

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Private Speech posted:

Reminds me of that guy who went to the US to be with his wife but doesn't like Mexicans and supports Trump and Brexit. Or that one American who complained here about "people not following the right routes" after having gone through a ton of hassle to live in the UK with his British wife (yeah I know he's not the only one in that position who posts in this thread).

to be fair if you support trump and hate mexicans it's quite a good time to have moved to the US.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
question time on a monday?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can think of nothing worse than a special brexit themed question time.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Breath Ray posted:

Seems he has a mental illness and claimed diminished responsibility?

look he just likes posting about how bad corbyn is

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

is this real?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
also hyper religious groups are not usually the sorts to be getting abortions anyway

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LemonDrizzle posted:

The European Parliament has leaked its initial stance on the Brexit negotiations: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/29/first-eu-response-to-article-50-takes-tough-line-on-transitional-deal

Basically, "you will suffer if you go through with this idiocy, but you can back out at any time."

hahahahahahahhahahahahah

love it.

the tories are going to lose the city of london.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it depends what the business is really and where you're starting it

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
just get everyone twitter accounts and we're golden then

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I was listening to the world service as I do and on newshour or something they had this interview with Carne Ross who was a British diplomat in Iraq prior to and in the run up to the war.

Long story short he was very close to the weapons inspectors before the drums of war were beating, presenting their findings to the UN etc.

as such he knew more than anyone that the British govt was totally lying.

anyway, he's an anarchist now and has some interesting things to say.

http://www.cornell.edu/video/carne-ross-perpetual-peace-gone-forever-welcome-perpetual-war

http://billmoyers.com/content/carne-ross-nine-principles-for-action/

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/feb/15/curveball-wmd-carne-ross

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The eu is gonna gently caress the UK so hard and they will say no freedom of trade without freedom of movement.

And that's best case scenario

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There is a shred of doubt because the EU has to agree to that and they might want to put the boot in.

Also if we agree to free trade and free movement what exactly was the loving point of leaving?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The EU wants to discourage other nations from leaving and steal the city of London.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Which is pretty funny

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

This is especially brutal polling when you consider the top labour team are all based in London.

Also:

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/847804884279853058

london is full of cunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

Jeremy Corbyn owns because all the green party etc voters who paid £3 to vote for him now have to defend his atrocious record and come to terms with the fact they have given the tories at least another decade in power

Did you see or hear any of the other people who stood against Jeremy Corbyn for leadership of the Labour party?

• Locked thread