Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I know the turnout was very high for the Lords, but who the gently caress are the 200 Lords who couldn't be arsed turning up for this vote?

Good chance there's quite a few life lords that aren't in the country, or are too old/ill to be in Parliament.

And then we need to ask if the clergy turned up in force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Miftan posted:

Probably even get flaps' vote with that kind of policy!

No, Pissflaps principles are more important than some quick vote-grabbing.

Almost like some leader of the Labour party we all know.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Namtab posted:

It's been a while but the general principle on a tax return is to record the information in the section you feel is most appropriate. Putting things in that section won't lower your tax burden so it just shows that corbyn/his accountant feels that the leadership money is an additional workplace benefit.

E:as opposed to primary source of income. The important thing to note is that this is all above board.

I can understand it, it's a stipend for the post, rather than necessarily payment for the services provided, as he is already paid for his services by virtue of being an MP..

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I know the thread has mixed opinions of anime, but I think we can all agree that documentarians should stick to showing the argument, not proselytizing their own opinion.
BBC Three's Stacey Dooley thinks popular anime Girls Und Panzer, and similar titles, should be banned.

http://www.otakutale.com/2017/bbc-interviews-girls-und-panzers-character-designer-fiction-like-this-should-be-banned/

Since it's a fairly niche title even by anime standards, ourside of Japan, i feel compelled to mention that there is no "fan service" in the main series, and the closest it comes in the side episodes is a trip to the beach from the main protagonists.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

So how long did Pissflaps go on about JC's tax returns not showing his earnings when they showed his earnings?

Are you a Star Trek fan?

You know the Picard Maneuver, where you get your enemy to keep looking at what he thinks is you, but you actually escaped around him and can attack from a new angle?

The Pissflaps Maneuver is similar, except you only deploy it when people dismantle your original argument (Corbyn hasn't declared his income!), so you're forced to quickly deploy your backup argument (Corbyn declared his income in a way I do not like, even though it has no bearing on how it os taxed or handled.) whilst hoping people will remain focused on your prior argument, in hopes that if you yell really loudly people might just assume it's the same sort of yelling and can't be bothered pursuing a route of argument with you properly, which you then declare means there isn't a real counter to your argument, and disappear for t hours or so, only posting occasionally to comment on other stories about how X is Y. (Where X = Corbyn with 90% probability, and Y = Bad with 100% probability.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

It's a shame Tasmina Ahmed-Sheik has no policies or principles of her own, because she's a fairly effective mouthpiece when she wants to be.
She shouldn't have bothered arguing with Kez about the Scottish attainment at the end because it was sensless bickering to an audience that didn't give a poo poo, but other than that she came across well.

Kex performed well at raking the Tories against the coals where she could, but fell apart as soon as Scottish independence came up.

A good question to ask about the NHS should be "assuming there is no change to the NHS being free at the point of service, should the rich be contributing more to it's cost".
Hard to get anyone to se no to that, and boom you have justification to go back to the 50p top rate.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Paxman posted:

A good answer would be "the EU has many faults and I take people's concerns seriously but i believe the best result for the UK in this referendum would be to stay in". Not "7.5 out of 10" for staying in.

Supposed "straight talking" politician unable to answer direct question.

Is Corbyn number literate? Watch as he is unable to give an answer to this interviewers question.

Barmy Corbyn can't even interview well on left wing comedy show.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Was he asked to give a score out of ten for staying in the EU during the original interview?

From what I recall when watching it, yes, I'm reasonably confident.
I could be wrong, we're relying on my memory of a comedy show from 9 months ago or so.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, if you're desperate for a chance to keep EU citizenship, but can't work other languages, then Scotland is a pretty good shout. Sparkys can always get work.

Whoever suggested Canada is possibly on to something too. Not super not-racist, but likely better than any other english speaking country these days.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

This.

Ultimatwly the commons can push things through, and May has the numbers.
Even with Labour abstention, she still pressed everyone enough that even Ken Clarke returned to the party line.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I don't know what that means.

Surely you could guess from the obvious portmanteau.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I don't recognise myself in that definition because I seek nor feel any satisfaction from contributing: I'm just a voter with opinions, not an activist of any sort.

You're telling me you don't feel better when you're posting your opinions on here and twitter and letting people know how you feel?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

hakimashou posted:

He is wrong and so are you. This is just excuse-making for corbyn and it is pathetic defeatist garbage.

This "corbyn cannot fail, he can only be failed, if things are bad it isn't his fault, it is somone else's fault" poo poo is revolting. Shame on you. I get it was cool and fun for corbyn to beat all those awful bad guys and sure show them, but it doesn't make him a good leader.

Times are tough? That's when you need a good leader more than ever, more than any other time. Imagine if the British had all been defeatist slags during the Blitz. Imagine if it was corbyn instead of Winston Churchill.

(Don't believe I'm resopnding to hakimashou, but...)

Please let me know who in the Labour party would provide both strong leadership, and a credible alternative to the Tories.
I don't mean compared to the current Tory government, who does seem to have remarkable free reign, I mean provide an actual alternative to the neoliberal, fiscally conservative policies that are killing the country, and literally killing it's citizens.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

And a large number of Corbyn supporters have little or no loyalty to the Labour Party.

Probably because they don't vote labour.

That poll just says that 30% have more loyalty to Corbyn than to Labour.
There is no information about their reasons for this.
If I were one of them (I don't have loyalty to Labour, though I have an equally "just-about left" choice in the SNP) I would value a leader who actually put values I prefer ahead of the name of the party.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

We didn't.

Same.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

it's churlish to think it's the only reasonable one. You can show respect in a variety of ways.

You saw who you were responding to, yes?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Stay classy, little cheerleader.

You don't engender debate, you decree your opinion from on high then berate those who deem it their solemn duty to disagree with you.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I understand the desire to have armed personnel to kepe vital resources safe, and I understand that the Queen is marked as a vital resource, though I am no Monarchist, but pretty much anyone beyond the royals, and maybe the PM, im not so sure of. And I definitely don't think we need the guys at the airports with the MP5's out.

People who are clearly security staff, who no doubt have a decent pistol with likely a spare magazine, should be enough to defend against any typical attack. If there's a big enough attack that would require a further response, and the security services didn't have any awareness of it? Chances are increased security would just increase the terrorist resource requirements, meaning you actually have increased bloodshed.

The likely attacks are these we've seen, vehicles on pavements, people with knives or improvised weapons, or in situations like the Troubles, people who can make a bomb out of most anything, and can work out a way of putting it somewhere you weren't going to guess anyway.

Of course we need to work to prevent these attacks. Fiest prevention is to stop the motivation, and then second is to have a security service who can work to pre-empt or work a lole into potential terrorist cells.

Lone assailants are always going to be tough to handle.

Armed police on the streets is not the answer.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

THat's all very well and good, but with wages stagnating, especially at the bottom end of the scale, and we just had a higher than expected inflation rise, it's becoming more and more difficult for those even on moderate salaries to do just that.

Company I work for will match+double up to 5% contribution, so I get to put in 5%, but actually am adding 15%, but my wage isn't exactly great, so there's a solid chance that if my wage "progression" follows how it has for the last decade, I will be working through my retirement.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

Very happy for you and as long as you started the pension when you were 19 you're bang on track.

Wait, so I need to put in half my age as a percentage, ignoring my employers contributions?
So I need to start putting in 15% right now?
I genuinely think losing 10% of my income right now would mean I go from having an almost comfortable lifestyle, to living like a student, but without the drinking.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

The anthem for any campaign to rejoin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz1Jwyxd4tE

What makes this even better is that they're from an EU member state.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Donald Tusk looks like a mix between Frasier and Niles Crane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The PLP have been much quieter about "Corbyn bad", so the Tories have re-doubled there efforts to brand him as a bad leader, not seen since Camerons famous "For god's sakes man, resign!" at PMQs.

Why do the Tories want rid of Corbyn, if he is helping them so much?

They want division in Labour, and want someone leading Labour who cedes the ideas they are broadcasting, and will only really say "We'll try and be a bit slower about loving up the public services".

Corbyn has not been a good leader, nor has he worked the media well. How much of this is due to Corbyn, vs how much to do with Milne, is up for question.

However, every part of the country has been saying, since before he got elected as labour leader, that he can't do it. Every part.
Sure feels like they don't want a truly left voice at the front of politics in the UK.

• Locked thread