Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I feel like April Fools Day will have a more pertinent meaning this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I haven't heard them mention in pmqs the fact that the tories have created so much debt before today. This is what Corbyn needs to loving hammer every single chance be gets. loving shout it out all the time, make some graphs and get that out there.

This allows the front pages to put a picture of Corbyn next to a broken record with the headline SPOT THE DIFFERENCE.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Tigey posted:

Can't wait for tomorrow's Daily Mail headline over the Lords vote.

I wonder what depth they will manage to plumb this time

No mention, they do have the Whiteley MI5 story though. The more reliable source of EU outrage has you covered however:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

clear eyes full farts posted:

Cannabis is safer than alcohol party - undeclared, no idea what their stance is on anything except weed

CISTA are doing it for themselves.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

John McDonnell was asked about the "deal" touted by Owen Jones where Corbyn would step down in favour of a younger left-wing candidate, as a few in this thread have considered. This was his response:

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/837263821723009024

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Russia Today are good people.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

RIP Ian Paisley

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Nobody talking about Peugeot buying Vauxhall, and the potential opportunities that arise as a result?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Cool analogies and everything but the problem is a number of people want Corbyn to be portrayed as a left-wing extremist, and they don't see it as a negative thing.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Jeza posted:

If it is true, then the only reason it is true is because companies have fully manipulated the system in order to reach this point. I was once talking to a hiring manager at Costa, several years ago, and they told me that it was their unofficial policy to disregard applications by students and British nationals if there were reasonable candidates from lower income European countries because their data showed that people from Lithuania and so on would stay in the role for many years, saving them training costs and the costs of rehiring new staff.

Well, yes, this is a roundabout way of describing the main driving force behind the Leave vote, it's by no means a unique circumstance.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

There's definitely a change in the air - this BBC NHS article would usually have the top comments blaming immigrants and New Labour for the state of the NHS, but they're largely attacking Hunt and the Tories instead.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Here's the Corbyn Last Leg quote exactly:

Presenter: So let me put it this way, okay, on a scale of one to ten, where one is "couldn't really care less about the EU", and ten is "I'm jumping on the couch like Tom Cruise on Oprah", how passionate are you about staying in the EU?
Corbyn: Oh, I'd put myself in the upper half of the five to ten, so we're looking at seven, seven and a half... maybe seven, seven and a half"

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Seaside Loafer posted:

To me the overwhelming fact of the referendum is that was mostly geared around racism pure and simple and no bugger who voted leave will admit it.

Oh if only those seventeen million racist bigoted clueless morons would admit they were racist bigoted clueless morons, we wouldn't be in this mess right now.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

and i must meme posted:

How bad is it really going to get? Like is everyone just overreacting or is this really going to be as bad as people are implying?

The genuine answer is nobody knows. The thread's taking the most pessimistic possibility for comfort, but nobody knows how anything's going to go down.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Jose posted:

Ed sheeran has 9 of the top 10 singles in the UK currently lol we deserve something bad for that

And 14 of the top 15. I'm glad pop music has reached the singularity it was hoping for.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Is this pop eating itself or more people just tuning out of what's mass market popular and into their own filter bubbles/musical echo chambers? Music has always had fragmented scenes, but it's never been easier to be part of one without leaving your house.

It's because there are only a couple of distinct groups who buy music these days, as opposed to stream/pirate it, so the music industry is going all out to focus on those groups. In Sheeran's case I think there's some loopholery afoot that is treating every track on his new album as a single but that's basically the idea.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Is that Muslim supposed to be there?"

Was she expecting a couple of kids to knock on the door asking if they can have their Muslim back?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I know someone who might benefit from watching this, but on the other hand they hate the Irish and wish they'd all bomb themselves so it might not have the intended effect.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Chris Sutton is great

There are a lot of bad opinions posted in this thread but I think this is the worst of the lot. I'm convinced the BBC only hire him on as comic relief.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Private Speech posted:

I recently had a chat with this formerly-labour-supporting older chap who is now 100% behind May. His reason? There's far too many teenage pregnancies and young people are workshy and get everything given to them, not like he had in the 60s. I disagreed with him about the teenage pregnancies but didn't really have any stats to back it up, it just seemed wrong. Few days later I read this article in the Graun and it's just, uhh, what do you even say to someone who believes in the complete opposite of reality?

(As a side note a quick skim of the column would not exactly give you impression that teenage pregnancy rates are historically low, either.)

Less than before can still constitute "far too many" (insert immigration analogy here), but I thik the overriding message here is that an 11 year old girl is due to give birth. Then again, I guess it's not a teenage pregnancy.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Brexit/Scotland

This seems pretty logical - "They should stay with us and enjoy our freedom, but there's no way in hell I'll let them stand in the way of ours". I'm desperately trying not to invoke Braveheart at this point.

Dabir posted:

whatever it is it's a poll that should really be mostly about LGBT people being answered by over two-thirds straight people who think their opinion's worth so loving much.

Do you think they should have specifically targeted LGBT people? How do you suppose they could have done that?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's probably for the best that they included options for "I'm not LGBT but I must give you the benefit of my vast wisdom" because otherwise they'd just pollute the sensible options.

Heterophobia aside, I think it was a clever poll as it answers two questions at once while giving everyone who saw it a chance to share their opinion, while the main take-away from it is that just over 50% of LGBT people who responded feel comfortable enough to be themselves at work, which is a positive thing. The other question answered shows that ~60% of non-LGBT people do not believe it would be an issue, which is far harder to qualify outside of personal experience but is still positive.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I figured the Tories would wait until the boundary review, but then again that's 18 months away, and also 3/4 of the way into Taking Back Control, so they might want to get an election out of the way.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Article 50 to be triggered on the 29th.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Some small humour from recent events:

https://twitter.com/CapitalMoments/status/843791618490753024

(it was, of course, Tim Barrow)

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Goodnight.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

:rip: Martin McGuinness

Looking at articles about him it's interesting to see who's willing to call him a terrorist and who isn't. It's only really the Mail that go all out in that regard from what I've seen.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

To go off track, if you'll recall the murder of a Polish man in Harlow last year, on Saturday a large mural by a Polish artist was unveiled there, in an attempt to build positive relations in the area. Naturally within hours it had been vandalised. "We are all in the same boat" indeed.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

jBrereton posted:

I feel like the nuance of this will be appreciated by the voters of this country.

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/844119410440847361

Quite.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Taear posted:

I would think most people haven't got any clue at all about what happened in Ireland. Or in India. Or anything beyond maybe the last 50 years of history - and even then it's only shaky.

Pretend I linked that Graham Norton interview again where he says about how the Irish are far more in-tune with their history than the English. I'll stick it here if I can find it.

E: https://twitter.com/RTELateLateShow/status/789579684774223873

History fact: The guests on the 111th episode of The Graham Norton Show were unremarkable.

HJB fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 21, 2017

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Breath Ray posted:

I voted leave for impecxably lefty reasins! Graham Norton says the economy will be fine anyway

Don't be mean.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty sad smugcuntery going around on all sides hoping the incident supports their narrative, this is where we've gotten to nowadays.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Spangly A posted:

literally the only person mentioning anything but the immediate circumstance is me and that should be predictable. Kill all cops, kill yourself, kill me, end humanity.

This is going to have serious consequences and these are not going to be good. The only smug oval office here is you at the mo

I didn't mean this thread but it's interesting you instantly leapt to your own defence.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I think you're trying to rationally investigate the actions of a nutter

Let's not go down that path again.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The timelines aren't certain yet, like did the knifer get out of the car and get the driver to cause a distraction?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

This is the fella who took the earliest footage - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rados%C5%82aw_Sikorski. He's giving interviews now.

https://twitter.com/HadjMDahou/status/844573756391591936

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Jaroslaw Kaczynski's also in town, for the record, and is "safe" according to reports.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The East is the last Kipper bastion, he would have at least guaranteed they had one MP coming out of the next election. They'll never die but they're out of limbs at this point.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Beats this one

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Labour need more strong chins.

The worst snipe. The Fiat 131 Mirafiori small/medium family car produced from 1974 to 1984.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

They've now spoken to Masood's mum, who says she'd prefer it if her son hadn't murdered all those people.

Jose posted:

its not very punk is it

I mean, Brexit is anarchy, in a sense.

• Locked thread