Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It seems our working class has the opposite issue to the US's. In America, everyone is a temporarily embarrassed millionaire, and this produces negative political effects with voters giving rich people tax cuts because "one day i'll be them". In the UK the working class seems to have fallen into such despair that economics no longer matter. Stability no longer matters. They don't care about anything other than the brown people they might see in the street or that some nebulous job they could have got was taken by Schrodinger's immigrant. We have a working class so conscience of what their lot is that they have all become nihilists. It's not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

jBrereton posted:

Well since the whole thing is being done under a massive cloud of secrecy I suppose we'll just have to see what TTIP brings to the continent.

Didn't both TTIP and CETA look to be dead as gently caress back in late 2016?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of the word cloud created from focus groups conducted with ex labour supporters about why they were no longer going to vote labour? And it had CORBYN in massive letters right in the middle?

Get a dream diary god

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Breath Ray posted:

These aren't so different. Opposition to immigration often boils down to the economy if you think about it

Yes. They're worried about the economy :airquote:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Wasn't TTIP one of the first things The Donald scrapped?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/844508955166552065

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

It seems our working class has the opposite issue to the US's. In America, everyone is a temporarily embarrassed millionaire, and this produces negative political effects with voters giving rich people tax cuts because "one day i'll be them". In the UK the working class seems to have fallen into such despair that economics no longer matter. Stability no longer matters. They don't care about anything other than the brown people they might see in the street or that some nebulous job they could have got was taken by Schrodinger's immigrant. We have a working class so conscience of what their lot is that they have all become nihilists. It's not good.

Ah, the elusive Schrodinger's immigrant, the one where they are taking benefits, jobs, all the doctors appointments and the strangling our businesses with their own brand of ethic shops.

But those word clouds, it's not about immigration!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

I think there is some merit in the Labour Party embracing some sort of patriotism, people love that poo poo

Yup. The notion that any party could attemp both to be unpatriotic and also to govern the country is absurd. It's not just wrong, it's absurd, it's facrcical.

There is some kind of sick twisted belief that many fools cling on to that all patriotism or nationalism or pride in your country is bad, that a country shouldn't look out for itself first and foremost. It's broken-brained insanity, absolutely disconnected from how real people think and feel.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Get a dream diary god

I don't understand this post.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I voted leave for impecxably lefty reasins! Graham Norton says the economy will be fine anyway

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Zephro posted:

Imagine you're a policeman wanting to do some dodgy, under-the-table hacking of those drat dirty Greenpeace types who, as well all know, are the single biggest threat this country faces. You could do it yourself, or you could do what everyone else is doing and outsource that poo poo to India:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/21/ipcc-investigates-claims-police-used-hackers-to-read-protesters-emails-jenny-jones
IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR :godwinning:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breath Ray posted:

I voted leave for impecxably lefty reasins! Graham Norton says the economy will be fine anyway

Mate, you made a typo. It's spelled raisins.

Oberleutnant posted:

This country is great.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

hakimashou posted:

Yup. The notion that any party could attemp both to be unpatriotic and also to govern the country is absurd. It's not just wrong, it's absurd, it's facrcical.

There is some kind of sick twisted belief that many fools cling on to that all patriotism or nationalism or pride in your country is bad, that a country shouldn't look out for itself first and foremost. It's broken-brained insanity, absolutely disconnected from how real people think and feel.

You think that genocide is fine if it works, so I'm happy to disagree with you on this. Nationalism is a disease and the sooner we're rid of it, the better. Also, go gently caress yourself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

It's funny how that one never applies to the security services themselves. Maybe they've got a lot to fear.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Breath Ray posted:

Don't be mean.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

They did though, since they've been told over and over immigrants are the reason they're unemployed.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

hakimashou posted:

You are a sick and diseased man and you should seek help or the cleansing purity of self immolation. Nationalism is a disease and you my friend are just another metastasis.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well we're talking about ridiculous security theatre in Western nations, so may as well keep it on those terms. See also the restrictions on liquids, put in place 20 years after the Bojinka plot first attempted to use liquid explosives on a plane. Nobody gave a poo poo about it until they planned trying it on a flight from the UK.

I once sat in, more or less by accident, on a round table discussion of active security measures for passenger flights, with reps from BA, BAE, Boeing, Airbus and so on. And it was pretty horrifying, in the way that conversations often are when companies are literally discussing how much money they'd be willing to invest per life potentially saved, weighed up against the potential for lawsuits and lost revenue.

But I recall that they were discussing SAM countermeasures, and said basically that it wasn't worth it, way too expensive, it would never happen until a passenger plane was actually brought down by one. Then some poor naif in the audience went, well what about that Malaysian flight that went down with a bunch of Dutch people on board. And the panel chair just shook his head and explained as though to a child, that happened over Ukraine, that doesn't count. It would need to be like in takeoff from Heathrow or Charles de Gaulle or something. And all the rest of the panel nodded wisely in agreement.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 22, 2017

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The last page is a p.good example of what Mark Blyth talks about here:

http://www.readcube.com/articles/10...iogDvuklQ%3D%3D

quote:

The racism diagnosis as a “convenient truth”?

Let us assume all the studies cited actually say what the proponents of the “culture trumps economics” camp say they do. What is the relevant counterfactual here? That the economy does not matter? That 30 years of rising ine-quality, job insecurity and income stagnation, further em-bedded in Europe in a near-decade-long economic crisis in which lower income groups bore the brunt of the ad-justment via austerity simply do not matter? That would beg a few rather obvious questions.

First, if this economic backdrop does not matter, why not? It certainly seemed to matter the last time the right came to power in Europe in the 1930s. Migration was not the issue then, unemployment was.23 Policy-wise, does that mean states today can raise inequality and unem-ployment to the stratosphere and not worry?

Second, when times were better for these income groups, such as during the golden ages of 1945-75 and again in the late 1990s, such sentiments seemed to be quite absent. What explains their emergence at this point? After all, in the case of Trump, the voters in fi ve states that delivered the election to Trump had previously voted for Obama – twice. It cannot be the observation phenomenon itself, since that would confuse cause and effect.

Third, why does this research only examine the right-wing reaction? This body of research seems to be rather blind to the fact that there is a left-wing version of this phenomenon that stretches from Bernie Sanders to Pablo Iglesias and back again. New Left parties and movements mobilise directly on the issues of economic insecurity and anti-elitism, yet they are decidedly anti-racist. They also appeared at much the same time as the New Right parties gained strength and have, in many cases, comparable vote shares.

Perhaps then it is worth considering what such a diag-nosis allows politically. It allows the centre-left and the centre-right parties that abandoned their traditional lower income constituents for more affl uent voters in the 1990s and who built the creditor’s paradise that squeez-es them today to claim that they did nothing wrong.24That building the creditor’s paradise was either good policy or irrelevant, since if “they’re all just racists” – or “deplorables” as Secretary Clinton recently called such voters in the US – then the policies that parties foisted on their traditional constituencies in the 1990s and 2000s, policies that were commodifi catory, insecurity-making and income-skewing, need neither further examination nor reform.

None of this denies that many European voters, and US voters for that matter, may be racist, but it does draw into question why such a diagnosis is gain-ing traction now. Nor does it need explanation that many Trump supporters were rich, for the simple fact that he was the Republican canditate. After all, rich Americans tend to vote Republican. What is more important for the argument here is that while such a diagnosis is conveni-ent for the currents incumbents on the left who are re-sponsible for a lost decade, it will prove absolutely fatal for the EU if this diagnosis is embraced.

In this article he also trashed the stats people have brought out to support culture over economics argument.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Does anyone fancy a job as a liaison between Corbyn and the PLP?

http://www.w4mpjobs.org/JobDetails.aspx?jobid=60013

I am applying to this job, possibly multiple times.

Breath Ray posted:

These aren't so different. Opposition to immigration often boils down to the economy if you think about it

yes. Opposition ot immigration is opposition to having an economy. This does not explain why they voted leave, though?

there are some very serious issues here, I see very little common ground between the concerns of remain and the concerns of leave, I see very little common ground between the concerns of leave and reality. The anti-reality side won.

I don't see this as being a hard problem to fix provided the government and media are in full cooperation to start rush training a new breed of journalist base and the media agree to walk lockstep in line with reality and the material concerns of the population.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why is may so in love with grammar schools despite everyone else being against them?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

why is may so in love with grammar schools despite everyone else being against them?

rhymes with milk snatcher

e; it'd be real great fun to get hold of some tory spads and ask just how good their drugs are and why May needs to be a thatcher-churchill robot hybrit at all times. More fun to beat them up and take their drugs though.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 22, 2017

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jose posted:

Tory.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

even most of them seem to think they're a bad idea at least politically

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

most of her Tory colleagues are against them too.

but it appeals to a certain hardcore section of the population, a lot of whom had drifted to UKIP.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

big scary monsters posted:

I once sat in, more or less by accident, on a round table discussion of active security measures for passenger flights, with reps from BA, BAE, Boeing, Airbus and so on. And it was pretty horrifying, in the way that conversations often are when companies are literally discussing how much money they'd be willing to invest per life potentially saved, weighed up against the potential for lawsuits and lost revenue.

But I recall that they were discussing SAM countermeasures, and said basically that it wasn't worth it, way too expensive, it would never happen until a passenger plane was actually brought down by one. Then some poor naif in the audience went, well what about that Malaysian flight that went down with a bunch of Dutch people on board. And the panel chair just shook his head and explained as though to a child, that happened over Ukraine, that doesn't count. It would need to be like in takeoff from Heathrow or Charles de Gaulle or something. And all the rest of the panel nodded wisely in agreement.

Are you sure they weren't referring to the fact that MH17 was brought down from 33000ft over a known conflict zone? It's not really comparable to someone having a punt with a soviet-era manpad near a western airport is it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Ken Livingstone threatening to take Labour to judicial review in the same interview as complaining certain MPs are "damaging the Labour party" is an interesting contrast. did he lose self-awareness along with gaining his Nazi obsession?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cerv posted:

Ken Livingstone threatening to take Labour to judicial review in the same interview as complaining certain MPs are "damaging the Labour party" is an interesting contrast. did he lose self-awareness along with gaining his Nazi obsession?

I am not sure that Ken has ever been particularly endowed with much in the way of self-awareness unfortunately.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

to approach it from a more human side (May is definitely a bog standard waste of a fetus rather than one of the policywanker lizards like her cohorts), she went to one, it was great, why can't children have great education. I think this most showed through with her atrocious PMQs against corbyn on the matter; she's never researched it, she just feels it. She doesn't even know the approval. She tried to argue that corbyn was taking away priveleges and here you see that's she's genuinely operating on the politics/economics zero sum game model. I honestly believe her when she defends grammar schools as being good. I really feel she thinks they add something to society. Because she somehow appears to seriously believe that without grammar schools, all the other schools would be poo poo forever, without higher standards to compete. Eton always gets the same defence of "raising the bar" rather than the more accurate "hitting the poor with the bar and holding them down".

May thinks poors are stupid and there's nothing broken in normal education that needs fixing, and that grammar schools need to be allowed freedom to develop their special talents.

I went to a catholic primary, a CoE grammar that turned into an academy after I left, and briefly, a state-sponsored private school. The money and standards disparity were huge; the private school was filthy,nearly a quarter of the staff plainly weren't fit to teach (including the chem teacher that taught basic explosives), they had advance prep for OFSTED and would spend the day arranging "talent"and giving some of us the day off, and lessons were absolutely nothing more than exam prep. I don't mean studying, we hosed about doing drama and music and weird extracurrricular poo poo and then when it was crunch time the teachers would dictate our entire coursework and prepare cheatsheets for exams.

Grammars and Private education must be abolished as a matter of course; there is only one fit standard for what is best for children, and that is whatever we can determine with evidence is best for children.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

In any situation you have to do that though. If you went with the position of some pro-life philosophers that a life has infinite and unknowable value, you wouldn't have aircraft. Or bathrooms.

Even in an ideal anarcho-communist society you'd have to draw some quantitative value on lives lost if you wanted to have planes, even if that was measured in labor-hours or communal resource partitions or whatever replacement for capital was concocted. The main advantage of such a setup is that you'd in theory have more to invest because in safety because there wouldn't be a chunk marked 'capital returns' siphoned off for profit, and you could adopt a more scientific approach to what you protect against (how likely is this to happen vs. how likely will people go with a competitor) but you're still going to have to draw a line where you say that the plane or bathroom or road junction is about safe enough.

Cerv posted:

most of her Tory colleagues are against them too.

but it appeals to a certain hardcore section of the population, a lot of whom had drifted to UKIP.
Weren't things better in the 50s? Village greens, cricket whites, white cricketers, St. Polycarp's Boys School for the Affluent, black and white TV and morality. Simpler times.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Even May's people seem to be aware Grammar schools are bad politically as they briefed a whole bunch of stuff after the budget about how she didn't think it was the issue for now. She somehow manages to be able to talk out of both sides of her mouth on this and no one holds her to account for it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

His Divine Shadow posted:

In this article he also trashed the stats people have brought out to support culture over economics argument.

So, so this.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

In any situation you have to do that though. If you went with the position of some pro-life philosophers that a life has infinite and unknowable value, you wouldn't have aircraft. Or bathrooms.

Yeah I realise that and of course intellectually I knew that these kinds of calculations must take place. But it's still quite another thing to be sat in a room and there's some guy going "well our 737 carries X number of people, expected legal liability per fatality $Y, so we're willing to spend $Z per plane on improving security this year".

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Piers Morgan is apparently to shut up on Twitter for charity.

I will pay £10,000 if he takes he takes a rope and hangs himself. Is he up for that?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

Well, as the saying goes, it takes one to know one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand, voting to leave the EU doesn't do anything about inequality or unemployment, so I'm not especially convinced that people who did so aren't actually just racist and/or stupid?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Yeah I realise that and of course intellectually I knew that these kinds of calculations must take place. But it's still quite another thing to be sat in a room and there's some guy going "well our 737 carries X number of people, expected legal liability per fatality $Y, so we're willing to spend $Z per plane on improving security this year".
That's why people don't trust actuaries, pragmatists, or moral philosophers.

It's an actual observed thing.

WMain00 posted:

Piers Morgan is apparently to shut up on Twitter for charity.

I will pay £10,000 if he takes he takes a rope and hangs himself. Is he up for that?
If you've got £10,000 knocking about, I've heard there are certain charities in Serbia that might help.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

It seems to me that there's always going to be ~15% of the population that are hard core Culture >> Economics on either side and then the Economics >> Culture people swing back and forth depending on the economy and what side the establishment are pushing.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's a couple of different effects. At high speed, the hole will be enlarged by the fuselage peeling away in the airstream. At high altitude, the sheer force of air will enlarge the hole even further and if any loose item happens to block the hole thanks to the fluid hammer effect - all of the air is moving towards the hole, anything blocking that movement will suddenly be dealing with a much higher transient pressure - the effect is massively multiplied. This happened with Aloha Airlines Flight 243:

Rather gruesomely the loose object that helped enlarge the 30-cm hole into... that was a flight attendant, miraculously the only fatality. The only reason the plane was able to land is that the area of roof lost happened to be right above the main spar, the strongest area of the aircraft. Had it been behind the spar, or below the centreline, the loss of structural integrity would have torn the aircraft apart, and even if by some miracle it hadn't all of the control lines run along the bottom half, so it's going to end badly anyway. Modern aircraft are monocoques, with the outer skin of the plane accounting for most of the stiffness of the aircraft, and it only needs a surprisingly small amount of it to be lost in the right/wrong place to doom the plane.

The best example of this is Lockerbie. The bomb was fairly big compared to a laptop battery but needed to be because it was in the cargo hold - if you were able to guarantee that it would be detonated against the aircraft skin you'd need a much smaller amount, as little as 100g of TNT. It blew "only" a 20cm hole in the side but as the plane was at cruising speed and altitude the decompression, plus the effect of the cargo being sucked through the hole, ripped the entire nose off the aircraft, with the rest of it disintegrating afterwards because blowing air at 600 mph into a thin-walled tube that no longer has anything holding it together tends to be a bit disruptive.

The losing altitude thing is a Hollywood invention, a hole in the side won't make the plane drop (although it may cause all sorts of changes in attitude because of the thrust from the decompression and the disruption of the control surfaces) but of course the very first thing the crew will do in the event of decompression is get the plane down below 8,000 feet as quickly as is safely possible to avoid more damage and injury.
Oh. Thanks for the effort post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

That's why people don't trust actuaries, pragmatists, or moral philosophers.

It's an actual observed thing.

Actuarial science is a wonderful tool needed in many ways for the day to day running of societies.

Actuaries are creepy motherfuckers with daddy issues who get paid to tell toyota how many negligent manslaughters they can afford this year. How do you control for disliking actuaries? it's the perfect job for any non-narcissist psychopath. People don't like those either.

• Locked thread