Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
wait wiat wait why is she leaving Euratom, a legally distinct organisation too?

jesusc hrist lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

the british people has voted
That wasn't even on the table to vote for lol

man it's good to feel IN CONTROL

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
We're bringing back the plum pudding model of the atom just like we had before NAZI SCIENTIST Niels Bohr hosed it all up

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cerv posted:

APD isn't a tax on aviation fuel, jesus
It is and it isn't, hope that helps.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
tbf they've lost less seats than Labour this parliament.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Unless it was their idea so they could have a shittier regulator.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LemonDrizzle posted:

Looser regulations at home won't eliminate the need for compliance with international regulations to purchase nuclear fuel. Britain doesn't exactly have a lot of uranium mines.
Orkney Mainland has yellowcake, and I'm sure the UK government will take the same measured approach to local concerns as they have about fracking if for some reason the usual sources refuse to send fuel.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Collateral posted:

Anybody here who is close to any kind of news/info outlet/an EU official, who can answer me a question?

I have been hearing a lot of doom mongering about Brexit from all corners, especially from the EU, that the UK will become an economic hellscape nobody in their right mind would want anything to do with.

Fair enough. We have made our choice now, we will no doubt get on with it and make the best of the situation.

I have also been hearing, from all the euros that I work with and the national media, that there is a literal hoard of EU nationals that still want to come here despite us giving the EU the finger and about to regress into an apocalyptic pit of despair (or something, there is a lot of hyperbole about), and that the EU is threatening their worst (or even worsterer or whatever, since they were already threatening the worst if we left) if the UK won't let them in.

What gives?
Everyone involved is hoping that the handful of old, egotistical white men negotiating on both sides don't gently caress everything up for millions of other people they don't know/care about, hope that helps.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

There's at least some opinion that exiting the EU pretty much necessitates leaving Euratom (haven't had time to check this guy's reasoning though): http://eulawanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/the-uk-brexits-euratom-legal-framework.html?m=1
As this guy states, "The Euratom treaty is a separate treaty from the treaty which initially created what was the European Economic Community (EEC) – now known as the European Union (EU). Equally, Euratom is a separate international organisation from the EU." - hence why she didn't have to leave.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Pesto please do not make a bonfire happen by sending us out into the WTO wilderness

Northern Rock collapse, """very funny"""", a second time is unforgivable.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I dunno I'd say 1940 was a pretty bad time for it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

remember when the dutch put an international economic treaty to a referemendum lol
Yeah and they came to the 100% correct conclusion lol

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol the battle between J-Melz and The Corbster to see who could tailspin the left into electoral oblivion the fastest would be something to watch but I'd rather have a strong left or *whisper* centre left instead of that

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
UKMT: what if the real April Fools... is us...

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ronya posted:

What are the top ten education systems in the world, anyway, and what's the tenth?

e: got the source quote

I'm not sure how well that holds up, as a claim - the FT article cites no sources.
If only it was trivial to link PISA data to the OECD's records about inequality.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

Isn't this relatively easy to resolve by upping wages to min wage and also offering workers food / clothing / accommodation at below market rates instead of providing them "free"?

Edited for quotation marks around free, no need to be so hostile.
I would assume they think it's harm reduction to effectively dock the food/clothing/accommodation before they can spend it on booze/drugs which is what led them to be wards of the third sector rather than give people 12 grand a year after taxes and act surprised when they get hosed up and don't pay their bills, because does a housing charity really want to set the bailiffs on vulnerable people who can't pay? No.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Not all homeless people are addicts, stop that.
Absolutely, but many are, as the writer of the article said. Many people are homeless because of untreated/self-medicated mental health problems. I'm not being a oval office by saying that, it is genuinely true, and dealing with homelessness in a long term way requires dealing with every aspect of that, from dealing with the causes of the original trauma to better mental health access and a better housing situation for everyone.

quote:

And a homeless "charity" more interested in taking folks benefits of them than actually helping probably needs to be fired into the sun because that's just helping no one but themselves.
Yes, I agree.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Now that article 50 is triggered it's a case of which party is pushing for the better policies in the deal. Now, having watched that May interview on Wednesday be a total car crash I was hoping that Corbyn would stomp her in the rebuttal interview... but despite some strong moments he mostly just puttered on what should've been a slam dunk, especially given Brillo's obvious contempt for May.
What do you as a brexiteer want out of this process?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

XMNN posted:

have we left the EU yet?
Not for like 700 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The only way we can help the poor is for green voting university students to engage in a spending war with them to see who truly supports Labour the most.

• Locked thread