Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Britain Grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All money extracted from the labour of the workers is dirty, comrade :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aren't the amendments just "government must try real hard to secure x/y/z" which means the government can just say they couldn't manage it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Red gay idiot bright brave yuk odd none twat prat clown no oh bold cool ok loud wow golf nice.

I wish I had an anagram solver that worked for strings that long.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

I still find it a bit hard to adapt to the absurdly high levels of trust associated with deliveries here in the UK. Leaving stuff with the building manager is fine, but completely random neighbours? That just seems weird on so many levels.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's absolutely awesome that I can order something and usually find it next to my flat door because the building manager received it and put it there and no one stole it, it's like a miracle. I'm still not ordering anything worth over £100 because let's not tempt fate.

It is annoying and weird and you should be able to specify just to leave it at the sorting office.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There was briefly some guy shouting through the letterbox just now and the lights are all off.

First time I've had something delivered to my house rather than work. Never again.

If your work has a manned reception I would recommend getting stuff delivered there if you can, receptions are great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That was my assumption also but then I've been having those new child abuse ads pop up all over the place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to hang out at that care home.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Norther Ireland, I think. People were talking about it earlier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So is NI just having basically a snap general cos the government collapsed? I gathered stuff was a bit dire but I guess I missed the bit where it actually went tits up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I get literally all my news from this thread so I wouldn't notice if the BBC were playing it 24/7 tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I remember you saying that people are a bit sick of a lot of the parties and it's hard to know what's going to happen exactly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

basically hope the DUP loses seats, the UUP vote share shows some sign of increase rather than stagnation and the small other parties make more percentage gains and hold their ground with the number of available seats going down

So that's the nats sweeping it then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

I quite liked the implication that, against all evidence, permanently expelling all right wing views from culture is bad

to those in the know, is this one of those elections where I can stay up drinking til 6am or should I just not bother

I mean if you can do that I don't see why you wouldn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My bus driver looks a lot like Gerry Adams and it's weird.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean they might still be knobheads even if they're Jewish, they might just like voting for tories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I've ever known a tory voter I wouldn't describe as a knobhead, even entirely separately from their voting habits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

Gerry Adams continued ability to appeal to young people amazes me

or rather, the fact that he's the only politician west of the channel who can do this, amazes me

He's like a more appealing rolf harris without the noncing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The best ducks you ever saw.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did not know that NI had official rules about dealing with nationalists/unionists.

That's... frankly a remarkably good idea but I'm astonished people managed to agree to it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like this is the obvious rebuttal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hakimashou posted:

It's no way to live. Drug addiction seriously compromises your free will and makes you less human. A cure for drug addiction would be one of the most beneficial of all medical discoveries.

This but wage labour, tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Such as possession?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For some reason my increasingly Yorkshire accent gets me American/Canadian too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I close the left side of my mouth and block my nose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

I have no idea how this would happen - Yorkshire accent to my forrin ears is basically scottish-lite. It's definitely nowhere even close to any USA accent.

*shrug*

My accent is a mix of Yorkshire and this, with affectations of RP when I'm feeling up to it.

I don't know where they get American from.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sorry for that friend, losing people like that is horrible :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wasn't aware that leader of the opposition did get paid more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm curious as to what Jez's explanation for the discrepancy is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean really if it is wrong it sort of proves his point, when it comes to people who actually make our tax law we should know if they themselves are following it and where their conflicts of interest might lie.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Simplest answer is that he doesn't take the extra salary, maybe.

I was wondering that because I would have thought that leader of the opposition would be a labour party salary rather than a governmental one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheHoodedClaw posted:

No it's a government one. Shadow Chief Whip gets paid more too, I think.

Huh, odd, I know the PM gets more but I thought everyone else was just a sort of fiat position created by the government.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Page 3 of this pdf breaks down who gets more than basic MP salary

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-information-office/m06.pdf

I also apparently didn't know that the PM salary was paid on top of the MP salary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Priapism Brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was wondering surely MPs should be on PAYE.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The worst crime, a slightly untidy tax return.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think perhaps it takes a rather dim person to believe that publishing one's tax return is an attempt to hide one's money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, that's not a bad policy, the point of it would be to make sure that we know what ministers are paying, not to catch them on actual errors.

If you keep publishing ones that hide like £600k of income then we've got a problem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jBrereton posted:

If you get it wrong to start with they'll just say "oh right whoops guess my accountant screwed up, you know how it is Jer'."

That's why this is frustrating; it's a kind of okay policy, although I don't personally see the point of it, but once again it's turned into another Corbyn blunder that discredits the Labour party by association.

I think there's a difference between "it's on page 2" and "oh dear I seem to have forgotten to pay a few hundred thousand in tax whoopsie daisy let me just fix that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would imagine that there are quite a few people reading the telegraph who would definitely dispute that killing native americans was bad and that any organization nowadays may be held responsible for it, that workers rights are a good thing, and that imperialism is even a concept.

• Locked thread