Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jrbg
May 20, 2014

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A NOTIFICATION INTO THE UK'S CONSTITUTION. ITS THE TRIGGERING OF ARTICLE 50 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RIDDICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME NECRO BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON (THE EU). I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE HEADS OF STATE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY COUNTRY LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Just FYI the big irony of the Adam Smith Institute's study is that it is nowhere near rigorous enough to pass muster in the average university. Also its proposed methods for dealing with it are just illegal.

Anecdotally yeah university lecturers tend not to be rightwing, but maybe that's a reflection more of what's happened to the right since the 70s than a concerted attempt to kill off wrongthink. In English departments for example, which is where I have experience, if you're a conservative you just tend to do traditional (supposedly 'neutral') stuff and not touch theory, because it doesn't interest you. there were and continue to be some bitter spats over it, but I think most of the people teaching in the university are not rabid enough anymore to want to gang up over all that, despite recent political developments. I got taught by people interested in classics and Shakespeare, aka the important stuff, who were definitely not into feminism and gay rights and such. To say I didn't have my views challenged is absurdly wrong, even in York, where the department has a left-wing reputation. The absence of rightwing 'theory' being taught is more that there was no impetus on their part to offer up, say, alternative theories of gender and how it affects how we read. Instead they said, bluntly, gender doesn't matter that much. Make of that what you will, you could call it anti-intellectual even.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

hakimashou posted:

Maybe it goes back to you guys hating the French. Le Pantolon Rouge, c'est la France.

Soldiers in the British Empire wore red coats u melon

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

IMHO Corbyn is bad at media strategy because he doesn't appeal to my unassailable gut instincts of what media strategy would be best. Also I don't like him anyway. Yes my opinion is really valuable at this point in time

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Who says Corbyn's team can't handle the media

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/Law_and_policy/status/840227323907567616

this is rather good, especially since hopkins (well, the mail) will need to pay for her own lawyers on top of that

Apparently she didn't turn up once to the court proceedings lol

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Jesus and Mary are different people?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

lol

quote:

Tory Liam Fox denies sending controversial tweet while sitting in front of a giant picture of it

He said a newspaper had tweeted his words and taken them out of context. This is untrue

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I am so glad we could have the UKMT's resident correspondents from the gut commenting on international politics

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I am so glad we have twitter for instant, confusing and pretty traumatising minute-by-minute accounts of bad things

I am a journalist who has studied journalistic ethics, here's a big picture of a dead guy you weren't expecting

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Jippa posted:

It seems like a majority of the victims weren't even english (french, south korean, spanish etc).

Let's see how the sensible political brains of the New Statesman process this information:

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/844863098171277313

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

:agreed: It is an example of how England treats foreigners.

Truly splendid how Great Britain's diversity is reflected here at Yarl's Wood

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Pissflaps posted:

Is the problem with this that he's said US rather than American?

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I actually don't get what the problem with Eaton's tweet is?

Something quite weird and ghoulish in presenting the wide range of nationalities represented among the victims of an atrocity as a positive of that atrocity imho, the lives of foreigners being only worthy of our attention by being smashed into by a car, and even then their existence here is thanks to the benevolent virtue of our beloved English capital

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Pissflaps posted:

Theresa and Nicola getting on famously.

Are those poorly-made waxworks

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I should have joined a union when I was a student so I wouldn't have got shafted by my boss who rightly saw students as people who wouldn't complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Namtab posted:

Posting in April in the March thread!!!

Seems we are all .... the April Fool

• Locked thread