Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

How the gently caress does that work? Sounds about as effective as insisting that weed is a gateway drug to injecting heroin into your balls.
Every time you tell the nazis to gently caress off it just goes "but Liam chose differently" until somehow they've brought an Orangeman down to teach you to throw petrol bombs at an Asian shop because no Englishman could do such a thing unassisted.

On This Day - The Bank of England issues the first £1 notes. Texit happens in Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

So is NI just having basically a snap general cos the government collapsed? I gathered stuff was a bit dire but I guess I missed the bit where it actually went tits up.

The election is happening cause the government collapsed but there is zero garauntee a new government can be put together after the election

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I remember you saying that people are a bit sick of a lot of the parties and it's hard to know what's going to happen exactly.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Spangly A posted:

the right wing are objectively wrong about everything they believe, of course we don't want them in loving universiites. They ruin the whole point of the endevour.

Well maybe but where will students hear right-wing views expressed if they aren't taught on their courses???

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I think I remember you saying that people are a bit sick of a lot of the parties and it's hard to know what's going to happen exactly.

The smaller parties might get a boost but were taking a major tide change to forestall a quagmire

this could signal a beginning of the reversal of a 13 year old trend but no one considers a huge shift likely

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

basically hope the DUP loses seats, the UUP vote share shows some sign of increase rather than stagnation and the small other parties make more percentage gains and hold their ground with the number of available seats going down

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

How the gently caress does that work? Sounds about as effective as insisting that weed is a gateway drug to injecting heroin into your balls.
Oh I forgot, there's a bit where the leader of the totally-not-Britain-First group has to hide at your flat and needs you for an important project making anti-refugee memes in imgur.

Still can't find the loving thing, and there's a limit to the amount of fash keywords I want to google.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

basically hope the DUP loses seats, the UUP vote share shows some sign of increase rather than stagnation and the small other parties make more percentage gains and hold their ground with the number of available seats going down

So that's the nats sweeping it then.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

So that's the nats sweeping it then.

If Sinn Fein actually becomes the largest party we will legit be ruled by Tories for several years

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

big scary monsters posted:

Well maybe but where will students hear right-wing views expressed if they aren't taught on their courses???

In their newspaper, obviously.

kustomkarkommando posted:

If Sinn Fein actually becomes the largest party we will legit be ruled by Tories for several years

Isn't that looking like the likeliest outcome at this point anyway?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I quite liked the implication that, against all evidence, permanently expelling all right wing views from culture is bad

to those in the know, is this one of those elections where I can stay up drinking til 6am or should I just not bother

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

I quite liked the implication that, against all evidence, permanently expelling all right wing views from culture is bad

to those in the know, is this one of those elections where I can stay up drinking til 6am or should I just not bother

I mean if you can do that I don't see why you wouldn't.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Isn't that looking like the likeliest outcome at this point anyway?

Unlikey. Maybe the off chance of being the biggest first preference vote winner but unionist transfer votes give a distinct edge in terms of winning seats, SF can only profit so much from a split unionist electorate thanks to STV.

The grim spectre of SF becoming the largest party is the DUP's favorite electioneering strategy to scare Unionist voters into transferring down to them or vote for them straight up, they just wave a paper cut out of Gerry Adams and make some spooky noises

If the margin between them in seat numbers got even slimmer and it actually looked like a possibility the Unionist rank closing would be crazy, voting pacts (which are usually reserved for westminster) might even get dusted off in some constituencies

edit: oh, you mean ruled by the Tories. Yeah I am preparing my body as we speak

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 3, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

*sinister quacking*

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

sinn fein somehow becoming the largest party would be real spicy

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

baka kaba posted:

*sinister quacking*

you say that...

https://twitter.com/patsymcglone/status/834402124226260993

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

so how long until the troubles start up again and the IRA try to blow up thatchers corpse?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My bus driver looks a lot like Gerry Adams and it's weird.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Wow! Who knew

Those are pretty gaudy I guess. American red pants (Nantucket reds for instance) are more subdued.

Most of the dudes in that picture look like they put on a suit and then took the trousers off and put bright red pants on instead.

Maybe it goes back to you guys hating the French. Le Pantolon Rouge, c'est la France.

RIP red gay pants

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 3, 2017

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Just FYI the big irony of the Adam Smith Institute's study is that it is nowhere near rigorous enough to pass muster in the average university. Also its proposed methods for dealing with it are just illegal.

Anecdotally yeah university lecturers tend not to be rightwing, but maybe that's a reflection more of what's happened to the right since the 70s than a concerted attempt to kill off wrongthink. In English departments for example, which is where I have experience, if you're a conservative you just tend to do traditional (supposedly 'neutral') stuff and not touch theory, because it doesn't interest you. there were and continue to be some bitter spats over it, but I think most of the people teaching in the university are not rabid enough anymore to want to gang up over all that, despite recent political developments. I got taught by people interested in classics and Shakespeare, aka the important stuff, who were definitely not into feminism and gay rights and such. To say I didn't have my views challenged is absurdly wrong, even in York, where the department has a left-wing reputation. The absence of rightwing 'theory' being taught is more that there was no impetus on their part to offer up, say, alternative theories of gender and how it affects how we read. Instead they said, bluntly, gender doesn't matter that much. Make of that what you will, you could call it anti-intellectual even.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

hakimashou posted:

Maybe it goes back to you guys hating the French. Le Pantolon Rouge, c'est la France.

Soldiers in the British Empire wore red coats u melon

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

J_RBG posted:

Soldiers in the British Empire wore red coats u melon

And their French counterparts wore red pants.

Like the brits were "red coats" to the same extent the French were "red pants."

Barbara Tuchman posted:

To clothe the French soldier in some muddy, inglorious color, declared the army's champtions, would be to realize the fondest hope of Dreyfusards and Freemasons. To banish "all that is colorful, all that gives the soldier his vivid aspect," wrote the Echo de Paris, "is to go contrary both to French taste and military function." Messimy pointed out that the two may no longer be synonymous, but his opponents proved immovable. At a parliamentary hearing, a former War Minister, M. Etienne, spoke for France.

"Eliminate the red trousers?" he cries. "Never! Le pantalon rouge c'est la France!"

"That blind and imbecile attachment to the most visible of all colors," wrote Messimy afterward, "was to have cruel consequences."

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 3, 2017

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

So who's lesson the Shinners in Northern Ireland now that McGuiness has gone? Gerry Adams is basically now focusing on politics in Ireland, as in Republic of Ireland, is that right?

E: leading, not lessons

Paxman fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 3, 2017

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

J_RBG posted:

Just FYI the big irony of the Adam Smith Institute's study is that it is nowhere near rigorous enough to pass muster in the average university. Also its proposed methods for dealing with it are just illegal.

Anecdotally yeah university lecturers tend not to be rightwing, but maybe that's a reflection more of what's happened to the right since the 70s than a concerted attempt to kill off wrongthink. In English departments for example, which is where I have experience, if you're a conservative you just tend to do traditional (supposedly 'neutral') stuff and not touch theory, because it doesn't interest you. there were and continue to be some bitter spats over it, but I think most of the people teaching in the university are not rabid enough anymore to want to gang up over all that, despite recent political developments. I got taught by people interested in classics and Shakespeare, aka the important stuff, who were definitely not into feminism and gay rights and such. To say I didn't have my views challenged is absurdly wrong, even in York, where the department has a left-wing reputation. The absence of rightwing 'theory' being taught is more that there was no impetus on their part to offer up, say, alternative theories of gender and how it affects how we read. Instead they said, bluntly, gender doesn't matter that much. Make of that what you will, you could call it anti-intellectual even.

A professor I used to work with was an outspoken UKIPer (in a group where more than half the staff held a non-UK passport), and I've taken a certain grim enjoyment hearing from my contacts still working there that after initially crowing about the referendum result he's suddenly in a panic because about 70% of his funding currently comes from EU grants.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

so how long until the troubles start up again and the IRA try to blow up thatchers corpse?

no

OwlFancier posted:

My bus driver looks a lot like Gerry Adams and it's weird.

I'm really proud of my latest passport photo looking like a younger, more stoned gerry adams. It's the most normal I've ever looked in one.

J_RBG posted:

I doubt they've ever read any Smith, and everyone I've ever met who quoted Smith badly mangled the attempt to explain things he was flatly against (like modern libertarianism)

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Why do the racists who pop up on QT invariably dress up like colour blind clowns? They are also railing against not being allowed to call people foreign. Dear me, Bedford, sort your poo poo out.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Paxman posted:

So who's lesson the Shinners in Northern Ireland now that McGuiness has gone? Gerry Adams is basically now focusing on politics in Ireland, as in Republic of Ireland, is that right?

E: leading, not lessons

Former health minister/agriculture minister Michelle O Neil was appointed "Leader in the North", not necessarily the most recognisable SF face but shes young and has never been to prison (though her rustiness showed in the leaders debates imo).

Gerry largely stays down South and when he ventures up to get involved he's usually blamed for making things worse now as the combative position he's used to using in opposition in the Dail doesn't necessarily gel well with the compromises of the Assembly, McGuinness was seen as better at playing the steady at the tiller role and smoothing over things

Though of course many people think that sort of compromise is responsible for the rise of the left wing protest parties and nationalist disengagement

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

There's a fair chunk of chin stroking opinion that thinks that if McGuinness wasn't in bad health some kind of out could have been negotiated for the current crisis that could have avoided total collapse but we will never know

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I may have found your problem, there.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/837444983342960641

Ginger Joe and Little Kev now have a Tory councillor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uja3W-ibifc

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Looks like three additional candidates stood (independent, UKIP and Lib Dem) and the Ind in particular split the vote pretty well.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Might be relevant

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/837448989993742336

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

TinTower posted:

Ginger Joe and Little Kev now have a Tory councillor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uja3W-ibifc

Man if I ever get mugged in the UK I'm so gonna have a laugh attack, these guys just look so loving harmless and sound so funny

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

are you saying that jews might like the party that is friendly to bankers?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

In all seriousness, it's a very Jewish ward. And the Tories have, despite their history, been able to siphon a lot of the Jewish vote from Labour in the past eighteen months.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

are you saying that jews might like the party that is friendly to bankers?

I'm saying they may not have found Shami Chakrabarti's report very convincing.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

In all seriousness, it's a very Jewish ward. And the Tories have, despite their history, been able to siphon a lot of the Jewish vote from Labour in the past eighteen months.

Explains why their share of the vote actually went down. I'm sure the split of the vote by a new independent candidate had nothing to do with the result.

Also, council by-elections are meaningless and whoever wins it's really tedious that people keep bringing them up.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Also, council by-elections are meaningless and whoever wins it's really tedious that people keep bringing them up.

The only person here getting animated about it is you.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The worst effect the anti-semitism furore in Labour had was that it allowed the people who only two years ago were basically saying "look at the Jew and how he's different, you shouldn't vote for him" have been able to recreate themselves as the Only Defenders of the Jewish Minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I'm saying they may not have found Shami Chakrabarti's report very convincing.

I don't think that jews have a hive-mind

• Locked thread