Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Holy loving poo poo I hope they pass this. We could see them all thrown out on their asses in just 2 years.

I have my doubts. Their electorate follows the "Conservatism cannot fail, only be failed" mantra, have really bad political memory, and have suffered under GOP directed cuts already but still blame Dems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

This is a goddamn electoral gift basket. They're handing us the next cycle if they pass this poo poo.

Trump and the GOP are already framing it as "It'll take 2-4 years for this to really benefit you", so I bet they can spin it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/841409249485967360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Watch Erdogan start a war.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its rather sad, because the Pirates are a symptom of foreign fishing fleets raiding and diminishing Somali fish stocks. Piracy is almost all they have left.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You sound fun.

Libertarians are idiots:

https://mises.org/library/stateless-somalia-and-loving-it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-richard-spencer-taxes-20170223-story.html

IRS pulled Richard Spencer's groups Tax Free status.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

that vid is the perfect example of why i have always just sat staring straight ahead, hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel, window down and dome light on if at night when pulled over. i like keeping my blood on the inside

He wasn't pulled over yet, he was getting out because he'd just had an accident with the semi in front of him, cop JUST rolled up on him while he was getting out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Stop getting horny guys

https://twitter.com/tomricks1/status/841747032599584768

(maybe its that 17-25 year old males are at their maximum 'horny levels')

Sexually Reproductive Species craves sex, film at 11.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pesticide20 posted:

You're confusing climate with weather, partner

To be fair, it confuses even our best senators

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/noaa-n/climate/climate_weather.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Two Finger posted:

i'm certain i remember reading somewhere that zuckerberg is really socially awkward in person

if they were dumb enough to nominate him trump would absolutely take him to pieces in a debate if that's true

Don't forget he's an ex-athiest and now born again Christian.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

He was raised Jewish, actually.

He's really flip-floppy

quote:

While raised Jewish, Zuckerberg later identified as an atheist,[179][22][180] a position he has since renounced.[181] He has shown an appreciation for Buddhism.[182][183] With regard to Christianity, both Zuckerberg and his wife told Pope Francis in August 2016 "how much we admire his message of mercy and tenderness, and how he's found new ways to communicate with people of every faith around the world."[184][185][186] In December 2016, when asked "Aren't you an atheist?" in response to a Christmas Day post on Facebook, Zuckerberg responded, "No. I was raised Jewish and then I went through a period where I questioned things, but now I believe religion is very important."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

This is amazing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, but beggars can't be choosers. It's just something that should happen anyway. Would be hilarious if the person to finally do it would be Trump. I still think it would mostly be a subtraction thing that would come out of it, say CA, OR, WA as the 9th mirroring the 5th. Some adding to the 10th or 8th perhaps.

For now, we probably need to not break up the 9th, especially considering Sessions being the current sitting DoJ lead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

He's basically raping and pillaging everything that isn't DHS or DoD.

Let's be honest: What's going to be left to defend and secure at the end of all this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-un-conference-womens-rights-hate-group-a7632296.html

TL;DR: US is now sending Right Wing think tanks to the UN to advocate against women's rights and gay rights.

quote:

What has Ms Stern and other CSW attendees particularly perturbed by the decision to include the groups is that both Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Ms Haley upheld "the right to be free from discrimination as an American value” during their respective Senate confirmation hearings, Ms Stern said.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
NASA budget proposed by Trump cuts Earth Sciences, Asteroid Redirect, and Europa Lander Mission.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/16/14942200/nasa-budget-plan-trump-administration-cuts

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

To be honest, no administration in 40 years has cared about ambitious uses for NASA so shifting space exploration to the private companies is a pretty good idea IMO.

No, I'm sorry, its not. Largely because the goal of private industries is to make a profit, not purely exploration. NASA/JPL is far more equipped for exploration than SpaceX.

Granted, we should fully encourage SpaceX/etc. to continue, but they won't replace NASA.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

"We can't defend funding the corporation for public broadcasting to our salt of the earth citizens", simple solution dipshit, tax the rich.

gently caress this guy in the eye.

Also :lol: at the idea of him putting himself into a blue collar workers shoes.

I wish Fred Roger's was still alive so he could make this fucker cry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

I'm not saying that NASA isn't worthwhile, just that administration after administration has underutilized them. It's pretty clear that no one who matters is going to fund them to appropriate levels, so we're gonna have to rely on the private side to do the heavy lifting.

We could have been on Mars by now if powerful people actually cared to do it.

Nah, because nobody wanted to compete with us for it. If Russia or China was really pushing a space program, NASA would be doing it.

And to be fair: NASA is still the king of heavy lifters, even the Falcon Heavy doesn't have anything on the SLS.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its laughable that we want to spend more on the DoD while we still have the largest Fleet and Air arm in the world.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

And we fight so many goddamned wars and maintain a permanent presence in so many areas of the world that we're stretched super thin and wearing out our people and equipment faster than it can be replaced.

You can keep gutting the military but if you don't roll back operational requirements we're going to end up with a hollow shell. You're also ignoring that so much of the world has completely gutted its own military forces because the US military could be relied upon.

Nobody is arguing gut the military, but we don't need $50 billion MORE spent on it!

http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2017/03/trumps-bigger-military-wont-necessarily-make-us-stronger-or-safer/136212/?oref=DefenseOneFB

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 16, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

I am. We're still building tanks to park in the desert. We're still fighting a war in Afghanistan for no reason whatsoever. There are massive parts of the defense budget that could be cut.

We could simply take those funds and use them where needed. Instead of dumping more into it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Third World Reggin posted:

As a former submariner, we could use less subs.

Yup.

http://www.globalfirepower.com/navy-submarines.asp

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I love how their plan is to bascially demonstrate that low income elderly and children need to starve. The Party of Jesus, ladies and gents.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Except it is not "far below the current standard." We're there. There's not enough money in the budget to recapitalize the neglected nuclear force, refresh the Navy's surface fleet and bring the average age of surface ships below 70% of their design lives (2015), recapitalize an Air Force that has been actively involved in combat operations since 1990 (and in some communities, stretching back to the early 80s) and has an average aircraft age of 27 years old (2015) but includes dozens of front-line planes designed and/or built in the 1950s and 60s, entice qualified, trained, and intelligent people to stay in uniform (ie stop the "brain drain" especially in the officer corps), and replace the 25% or more of high-end training that has been siphoned off for the past decade+. There were several consecutive years where we saw a 10% cut in flying hour funding, for example. There are roughly half the aggressor squadrons across the DOD compared to 20 years ago and far fewer real exercises, for another.

Cuts have outstripped commitments. Look what a problem it was 10 years ago. We didn't have the personnel or materiel to sustain two low-intensity wars in the same part of the world; enlistment requirements were basically wiped away to let any elbow licker through the door, and we effectively dropped Afghanistan to maintain minimum numbers in Iraq. And the military is hardly in better condition today.

The problem is not lack of funding, but how it is spent, and where it is spent. They don't need more funding. And eventually, it will cost us dearly to keep up this insane pace of military spending.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Genocide Tendency posted:

Oklahoma State Senator caught loving an underage male prostitute.

Pretty sure we need to invoke "all are pedophiles" rule for republicans from here out. Kinda like bronies.

Best part is this guy was running on a Family Values Anti-Gay/Anti-Trans platform.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

This isn't suprising. Despite what the GOP likes to tout, actually cutting these programs like Trump wants to will directly affect their constituents, and that won't bode well for future votes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FastestGunAlive posted:

Trump should develop some sort of consolidated area for the branches of government and various agencies and departments could be conveniently located near each other so he wouldn't have to hold meetings in mar a lago every weekend

Except he does it because he's a dumbass.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Office Pig posted:

So, two things. The first thing, which is ridiculous:

The second thing, which is ridiculous and loving frightening.

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/842790114635997184
https://twitter.com/jeffpeguescbs/status/842773968608251905

I wonder what his secret service name is?

"Golden Child"?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
One of these days, a member of the press is going to snap at one of these conferences and blow up on Spicer, Trump, or their Budget rear end in a top hat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/why-are-educators-learning-how-to-interrogate-their-students

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I've taken to tying the number of Mossy Oak/Realtree Decals and gear to the level of poverty in the region.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, the thing is WI is solidly average to above average in per capita income. There is poverty, but it's mostly concentrated in urban areas. I'd just chalk it up to a lot of hicks living in northern WI or Minnesota.

Fargo (TV and movie) is a pretty great take on the culture of the rural upper Midwest.

It isn't just poverty as in lack of income, but poverty in heavy credit to gross income burden as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Theresa May will kick off Brexit next week on the 29th.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So glad I just seperated.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/trump_tells_gop_lawmakers_i_m_gonna_come_after_you_if_you_vote_against_trumpcare

quote:

President Donald Trump Tuesday morning told Republican House lawmakers he will "come after" them if they do not vote for TrumpCare, the Republican bill to repeal and "replace" ObamaCare. Earlier today NCRM reported the President had threatened Republican Congressmen by stating they "will lose" their seats if they don't pass TrumpCare.

NBC News reports Trump, after threatening Republicans will lose their seats, added, "I don't care if the press prints that."

This new threat is far more extensive than just saying they "will lose" their seats and is revealing of just how unhinged Trump has become.

"I’m gonna come after you," Trump told lawmakers in a private meeting on the Hill, The Washington Post reports.

The paper cited "several Republican lawmakers who attended the meeting," adding Trump said: "I know I won’t have to, because I know you’ll vote ‘yes.’"

“Honestly, a loss is not acceptable, folks,” Trump reportedly also said.

He's gonna die alone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39343971?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Britain is going to follow the US on its ban on laptops on flights from certain countries.

This is idiotic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Paul Manafort: Putin as gently caress. AP got their hands on documents showing he had a $10m/year contract with a Putin-linked Russian billionaire.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/844503002622898176

https://twitter.com/AP/status/844500047307984897

This smoke is getting really loving thick, I wonder if there is a fire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

I'm just gonna tell it like it is: regardless of the end result, Russia really did a good job at whatever they were trying to do.

They didn't do a good job, we're just really loving stupid.

Like, the smoke has been visible for months even prior to November, and we still danced around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

Eh, I'd say a little of column A, a little of column B. But I'll concede that it's more of column B (the column that says we are stupid).

I think the biggest irony of this whole thing is the party that has been praising McCarthyism is the one taking Russian bait, hook line and sinker.

• Locked thread