Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Richard Bong posted:

Or the land they will need to buy from property owners to install it?

Or the Environmental Assessment and Environmental Impact Statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Obviously.

Should be something in the Old Testament though.

Leviticus 21:9 posted:

And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.

Leviticus 20:9 posted:

For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.
Exodus 21:17 is almost identical

The closest I can find in the Quran is
[quote"Sura 18, v. 74-80"]
So they [Moses and The Servant of God, later identified as al-Khidhr] set out, until when they met a boy, al-Khidhr killed him. [Moses] said, "Have you killed a pure soul for other than [having killed] a soul? You have certainly done a deplorable thing."
[Al-Khidhr] said, "This is parting between me and you. I will inform you of the interpretation of that about which you could not have patience.
And as for the boy, his parents were believers, and we feared that he would overburden them by transgression and disbelief.
[/quote]

Handsome Ralph posted:

I think RICO statutes only apply if there's money involved. I'm not a lawyer though so :shrug:
gambling, murder, kidnapping, extortion, arson, robbery, bribery, dealing in obscene matter, or dealing in a controlled substance or listed chemical, bribery, counterfeiting, theft, embezzlement, fraud, obstruction of justice, slavery, racketeering, gambling, money laundering, commission of murder-for-hire, Embezzlement of union funds, Bankruptcy fraud or securities fraud, Drug trafficking; long-term and elaborate drug networks, criminal copyright infringement, Money laundering, bringing in, aiding or assisting aliens in illegally entering the country (if the action was for financial gain), acts of terrorism.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Ben Carson was quoted today saying slaves were "Immigrants who came to America seeking new opportunities while working for less"

Jesus gently caress :stare:

Pretty close:

quote:

That's what America is about. A land of dreams and opportunity. There were immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder, for less, but they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great-grandsons, great-granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/838838816517603328

:state: indeed

e: The hole-in-the-head-so-you-can-recite-every-book-you've-ever-read procedure in the top paragraph is :stare: too.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 6, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Check out how full of poo poo the Racist Keebler Elf is: https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/838874316410355713

Holy crap. So the AG is OK with my clients who get convicted doing this too?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nothing to see here.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't let your dingle-dangle dangle on the web.

Your indiscreet snapping
means Hitler's fapping.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

So he's finally getting a dog this weekend?

Just like his hero.
Except this one will be a Golden Lab.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Seekhay posted:

Here is a shower thought that should probably go in the idiot thread but I gauge how hosed the country is by the number of new posts in this thread, when I open it first thing in the morning.

It probably needs periodic adjustment. "Obama was spying on Trump through a microwave that can turn into a camera" would have gotten a lot more comments 50 days ago.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Missionary Puritan posted:

Maybe I'm turning into a Missionary [only] Puritan who doesn't get It Anymore, but I really don't understand why poo poo like vibrators might be fun with remote operability.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Missionary Positron posted:

poo poo, dude. you got me. i'm a total secret kink shamer irl who hates non vanilla sex havers with the white hot intensity of the sun.

I hope not, but the post/name combination was too much to pass up.

LingcodKilla posted:

So that's just like normal sex but no icky other persons fluids?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79-kc4NSpM#t=2s

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Why would that be a good thing?

Maybe by breaking the 9th into two circuits, they would be funded and staffed as two circuits. Which would only be slightly more expensive than properly funding and staffing the 9th.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Despite its poster's self administered ad hominem, this is still a good article and worth reading.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

come on spicy, lets get this shitshow on the road

Current Events 3/17: Daily Spicy Shitshow

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

It's almost as if something isn't 100% pure and correct and good, it is therefore equally and totally immoral and wrong.

Which turns out lovely, lazy nihilist crybabies who won't lift a finger to try to make things better.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

unbutthurtable posted:

"Shortey is charged with engaging in child prostitution, engaging in prostitution within 1,000 feet of a church, and transporting a minor for prostitution/lewdness, according to the Cleveland County District Attorney's office."

How is that, specifically, a crime? Yeah, prostitution in general I get, but not the church part.

The legislature loves to extra-enhance malum in se crimes that happen near schools, parks, daycares and churches.
They also do it for drugs and sex offenders, maybe a couple other things.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 17, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

I've done zero research on it and have no evidence at all but I'm just gonna go ahead and guess it's a way to screw over minorities that much harder somehow. That's generally a safe bet for any kind of "what the gently caress?" laws you come across.

First and foremost, it's pandering to the church constituencies (particularly on the case of this particular law) and way secondarily, poverty - any effects on minorities are collateral.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

so the higher courts might actually uphold trump's ban, so muslim ban 2.0 has a good chance of existing.

https://twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/843426521469636608

Funny how I haven't really seen anywhere else talking about this

It's rather speculative. (Which doesn't necessarily mean he'll be shown to have guessed wrong)
It's the court's conservatives safely grumping about not getting an en banc hearing on a moot issue. It certainly signals the direction that judicial support for Ban II will come from, though, but err already knew that.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Basically, some conservative judges on the 9th want it to pass for partisan reasons.
Judge "Torture Memo" Bybee, and that's his schtick. 1) the executive is always right, screw separation of powers. 2) Redefine and erect the goalposts at your feet.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That's messed up. The Reid Technique is for getting confessions and only confessions.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Have we ever had a US President pull a move like this before?

Hillary Clinton's health care reform work in '93?
JFK and RFK?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Genocide Tendency posted:

If you haven't realized that a bunch of Trump's team is going to jail for a very long time then IDK what to tell you.

The only way this doesn't happen is if they get convicted and Trump immediately pardons them. Which will end his Presidency.

Also, pretty sure if Manafort created the plan used by Russia to gently caress with our elections, thats treason.

If any go to prison, it won't be for long.

How many campaign or presidency ending incidents is Trump up to now?

Russia isn't a declared enemy. Thus, no treason. End of analysis.

(It's not rebellion or insurrection, not seditious conspiracy, not advocating overthrow of the government, not failing to register a foreign controlled political activity that seeks to control by force or overthrow the government, not interference with the military, and not recruiting for or enlisting into (armed) service against the US, either.)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 22, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Pesticide20 posted:

Manafort and everyone in on the conspiracy to undermine democracy should rot in prison for the rest of their loving lives

Criminalizing the undermining of democracy might be a solution that Congress could address (though it couldn't apply backwards in time) but where would one draw the line between criminal 'undermining democracy' and non criminal "what the gently caress were you thinking?"

Where Manafort might run into problems with actual laws could be his failure to comply with the Foreign Agents Registration Act

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ASAPI posted:

They were always owned by HBO. HBO just let PBS produce the show. HBO is now producing the show directly, they get to air the episodes first, then they allow PBS to air them later, kind of a free syndication deal.

Are you confusing Sesame Street with Fraggles?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Because Vichy France was so good the first time.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

TBeats posted:

Is there a concise report on who is on who's side in the Republican Party? Because it feels like it's every rear end in a top hat for himself.

I don't have a breakdown, but ran across this earlier:

Caveats:
The pic the 2016 candidate field, not the current House /Senate
The size of each venn circle doesn't represent the actual strength of each group in power, numbers or money.

But it does show that the GOP has a lot of different constituents whose ends and means are not always the same.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I despise trump but I do think it's gonna be hard to find the fire that's throwing up this smoke. And that might be by Russian design, or not. But it's loving crazy to me to accept that POTUS is literally a Russian agent.

If that's what the evidence says then that's the truth, but drat it's gonna be hard to prove this unless they were serious morons.

It may be as "innocent" as, "where is the only place on earth where you can find fellow hard right plutocrats who can competently bring you next-level skullduggery?"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

quote:

Abramovich was the first person to originally recommend to Yeltsin that Vladimir Putin be his successor as the Russian president.[29]:135 When Putin formed his first cabinet as Prime Minister in 1999, Abramovich interviewed each of the candidates for cabinet positions before they were approved.[13]:102 Subsequently, Abramovich would remain one of Putin's closest confidants. In 2007 Putin consulted in meetings with Abramovich on the question of who should be his successor as president - Medvedev was personally recommended by Abramovich.[29]:135, 271

Chris Hutchins, a biographer of Putin, describes the relationship between the Russian president and Abramovich as like that between a father and a favorite son. Abramovich himself says that when he addresses Putin he uses the Russian language's formal "§£§í" (like Spanish "usted", German "Sie" or French "vous"), as opposed to the informal "§ä§í" (Spanish "t¨²", German "du" or French "tu"). Abramovich says that the reason is because 'he is more senior than me'.[30] Within the Kremlin, Abramovich is referred to as "Mr A".[26]

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to a local deputy, 90% of hot home invasions are criminals ripping off other criminals, so...

BA has definitely had some of those, too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Would you give a random person $1,000,000 or take $500,000?

I just finished this book, I highly recommend it https://www.amazon.com/Undoing-Project-Friendship-Changed-Minds/dp/0393254593

What popped into my head on the subject was Thinking, Fast and Slow - written by Kahneman, but happily and heavily referencing Tversky's work too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

330 million people, the most stable of whom are a half-step from screaming lunacy most of the time.

Mostly because the rest are already in screaming lunacy.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

To be fair, competent others have expressed similar doubts about various members of the UNHRC, like China and Saudi Arabia

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

What? If you do something dumb off duty you'll still get hosed over by your command under the UCMJ. I just think that anything spicey is doing nobody is willing to care about.
See Article 2, UCMJ.
He's a reservist, so only when he's on active duty or inactive duty training.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

holy loving moses

https://twitter.com/ChuckRossDC/status/847590500056137728

"General Flynn certainly has a story to tell, and he very much wants to tell it, should the circumstances permit."

Translation: Flynn has been making GBS threads his pants with fear of prosecution for the whole foreign agent thing for a while now, and things are finally heating up enough that maybe someone will be desperate enough to pay big bucks (figuratively speaking) for his big wet fart.

Hopefully I'm wrong. It's been a cynical week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Shaddak posted:

I feel ya man. When I was in college, Reagan was president, and the USSR still existed.

:corsair:

• Locked thread