Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zeris posted:

Russia undermining Clinton and Russia colluding with Trump staff are not the same thing. I'm not talking about objective reality, I'm talking about what's provable. They could have done everything in that IC report and not said a word to Trump or his cronies. Unless they were spelling it out to the GOP campaign and demanding favors in return -- unless that's what was in those conversations -- or whatever, then I don't get it.

It looks stupid -- Sessions lied, obviously, but until it's clear what he lied about, there's no saying whether this will last or snowball to something worth resigning over.

What is it you don't get? Obviously if there is not a smoking gun then the accusation will just be another in a seemingly endless parade of dire blemishes on the trump presidency. Another reason that suggests under no circumstances should the Don be given the benefit of the doubt because so much indicates that his character and loyalties are suspect, at the very least.

Sorry your use of - makes it hard to understand exactly how to parse your sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zeris posted:

No, that's exactly it. It's not a smoking gun (yet) but people, I guess in a few posts here and in implications from left-leaning media outlets, seem to assume it's a smoking gun. Maybe I'm reading too far into things. I already have outrage fatigue and I no longer understand the point of getting riled up over stupid poo poo until it's clearly smoking-gun-level stupid poo poo.

It directly calls into question the capacity of the AG to oversee any investigation into the Russian hacking attempts, their impact, and the extent to which the current President was aware of their activities. It's a pretty big step towards enabling an investigation that seemingly has the potential to undermine the Presidency. The implications are pretty massive, particularly if the gravity of the accusation is made comprehensible to Joe Blow (through the media)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zeris posted:

It's almost as though going after them for lying about meetings, without having any substance as to what went on in them, wasn't an effective tactic!

Uhh sessions recused himself and the administration is playing defense. Sessions also doesn't have deniability pertaining to his impartiality with regards to Russia or leaks concerning the campaign. It was a hugely beneficial political move in laying a foundation for isolating the trump administration from Congress.

It's not a panacea but to call it ineffective ignores alot of significant developments

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 4, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TBeats posted:

Just so we all have our expectations rooted in reality:

Everyone around trump could resign because of shady poo poo, you could have Trump in a 4K HD video talking face to face with Putin, admitting to banging Ivanka immediately after saying verbatim "I need you to make sure I, Donald J Trump, win the election in November 8, 2016 and I will then use taxpayer money to pay what I owe you, Vladimir Putin. My social security number is xxx-xx-xxx" and he still won't get impeached or lose a lot of his core supporters.

Yeah his complete imperviousness to political pressure is certainly rooted in reality. Forcing his appointees to resign is a major political coup for the Dems. If they manage to make it happen twice it would.be massively disruptive to Trump's political agenda and people's perception of his competency. You keep him losing and his dumb poo poo rhetoric loses any semblance of sanity. Sure you'll never convince the true believers but this narrative that he's completely impervious to politics is demonstrably wrong.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Women in fox holes will get infections! Their menstrations attracts wild beasts in survival situations! GIs loving eachother is an abomination!

If you're worried about costs why not focus on procurement instead of pregnancy? Better debate the financial burden of women in the military instead of all the tanks we buy that no one wants.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

holocaust bloopers posted:

Has a National Security Advisor resigned and the AG recused themselves within a previous president's 100 days or hell first year?

I don't think any modern presidency has started this tumultuously, with the possible exception of Ford

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 4, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Reverand maynard posted:

I dunno why people shame trump for being a draft dodger. Considering his ego and incompetence he would most def have gotten a lot of people killed. Him not going is probably the most patriotic thing he's ever done.

Counterpoint- he might never have ascended to the presidency or be such a chicken hawk if he had actually served in any capacity.

Edit: Doh

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TBeats posted:

It's irrelevant if he looks worse. Less people are talking about Russia and more people are talking about him being a paranoid idiot. Being a paranoid idiot isn't impeachable.

Are you familiar at all with Bill Clinton's impeachment? It wasn't about getting a hummer until months and months of tangential investigations made it about that. The point of these investigations is to limit the ability of he administration to maneuver without being completely contradictory, and to in turn force the rest of the Republican party to chose between brazenly contradicting themselves in order to go against the desire of their constituents to preserve a toxic administration. It also serves the immediate purpose of forcing the administration to address these controversies instead of focusing on enacting their agenda.

Forcing out a President isn't something you can expect to accomplish in the first two months of their presidency. That it's only March and Trump is facing this kind of heat without having to actually address any major international crisis's is pretty loving huge and unprecedented. You eat a whale one bite at a time and the Dems are trying to get as many mouths going as they can.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Two Finger posted:

Alternatively, you get him so flustered he does something illegal as a backlash.

Good. It'll almost undoubtedly get leaked and thats one more brick in the impeachment wall

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Wow sounds like the CIA really poo poo the bed wrt opsec and the like.

I don't like the leak but wtf. When is the contractor that made the leak getting clipped?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Subjected asylum patients to months of covert LSD dosing just for kicks. Also regularly dosed Johns in a couple different cities, again just to see what would happen.

Oh and also was so flagrant about the whole thing that it hit the papers.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Wouldn't throwing water on those batteries make things immediately and impressively worse?

Water is good for things that are burning and hot. I mean they're already ruined.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
If its already failing catastrophically then what else are you going to do? In the absence of that water that failing battery would have likely done significantly more damage to that beaker/floor/ whatever. Its an electrical fire where you can't remove the ignition source or the fuel. Your only hope is to keep it contained until the fuel runs out afaik.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Okay and the alternative is seemingly a much more rapid explosion minus a hydogen gas buildup that won't really be a serious concern as long as it doesn't reach above an 8% (iirc) atmospheric concentration.

FAA says using a water fire extinguisher is a good idea for a lithium battery fire on a plane. Are there better alternatives? Yes. But when your pants are smoking you could do alot worse than throwing it in water. I get what you are saying but what was the preferable alternative? Seems like getting the battery out of the courthouse would be the ideal scenario, perhaps in some type of metal container. Beyond that though getting it to a water source in a bathroom doesn't seem like a terrible idea to me.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 10, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

If videos showing water catching on fire don't convince you that it's a bad idea to use water, I honestly have no idea what will.

You highlighting a more effective and expedient means of fighting that particular class of fire given the circumstances. Failing LiOH batteries are dangerous no matter what you do, and water is certainly not the worst fire fighting agent you could introduce to the situation.

Maybe they should have flooded the courthouse with halon?

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 10, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Take off the loving pants. Finish the statement in your JUICY boxers and drop your pen like a mic.

Ah yes, the do nothing school of fire fighting. Surely a more effective approach. I'm not even being contrarian; there are multiple pages that suggest fighting LiOH fires with water due to the limited amount of lithium that will react with them, the capacity for water to dissipate heat and extinguish flame, and the potential for runaway reactions to lead to explosions. Removing oxygen from a courthouse environment is impractical, dangerous, and won't necessarily stop the exothermic reaction before it damages the structure of the building, providing a potential new source of oxygen to facilitate ignition. If the dude didn't see a C02 extinguisher on his way to the bathroom, and getting the battery out of the building wasn't an immediate or apparent option, then he did the right thing.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 10, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Whoa I gave an appropriate first response before everyone started poppin' off about poo poo they obviously don't know about. Water is good for putting out fires. I dunno why that's so difficult for some people, and kiwis, to comprehend.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Yeah, that a majority of Americans want further investigations into connections with Russia that isn't headed by Sessions is just a big ol'bite out of the Dems rear end.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
ahh that vet had it comin! I for one am glad Deputy Farva was able to secure the scene so effectively. Once the police arrive at a traffic accident you better stop what your doing and get your loving HANDS IN THE AIR DO NOT MOVE SHOW ME SOME HANDS

lol this country is loving retarded

Edit: Deputy Farva is a pussy and a retard. I hope they break him like private gomer pile and he eats his pistol

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Now you're going to be stuck with the guys that couldn't even get the ASVAB waiver. Congrats.

How about we raise taxes in the short term to hire better candidates, and pass the savings on when the city/county/state isn't sued by the bereaved family of a man who was shot due to sheer incompetence?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Whatever I'm gonna get uncle sam to pay for my combined American/Canadian legal education and the peace the gently caress out to Toronto

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
This what Winning looks like (in Afghanistan)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Globalization without the development of a robust and wide-reaching social safety net, to include major job retraining programs for people's whose work was outsourced, along with 10 years of loving idiotic war in a faraway foreign land, made poor whites go full retard. The process was already underway after the conservative majority bullshit started up in the 80s after the soviet union stopped being an existential threat to the dominance of the United States. With no outside threat, things like providing a living wage to the working poor or even maintaining a pretense of wanting a middle class faded away, and gradually we got to where we are today. Also central to this development was commercialization of the internet so that it became accessible to every bigot, politician, and would-be soap box preacher in the world.

Both the DNC and RNC are directly responsible for these developments, with the republicans being notable for working to achieve it as rapidly as possible while being insanely obstinate and obstructionist against any attempts to stem the tide of retardation and desperation. The discourse of equivalence that exists in this party is retarded, but that doesn't matter because so are most Americans. Fortunately it appears that global warming is going to take care of the problem in a couple generations so we don't have to do any of the hard work of actually reforming our nation or the world. Namaste.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Spicy setting off the White House proximity alarms trying to escape would be too perfect for this world

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/842838818957004800

I don't understand this. Obviously Trump is going to do whatever he can to shaft every single department in the executive, but I don't understand this.

I can't imagine things getting too much worse with the same director and a proposal to increase funding. Though if I had to guess I would think that in the ultimate budget, if one is passed, the VA will actually get chopped.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah, Paul Ryan doesn't represent the interests of all those stupid broke Wisconsinites. Hell you can almost run an entire farm with just robots.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

With everything that's been publicly shown so far, Pence seems clean on the Russian bullshit. Flynn wouldn't have lied to him if Pence was in on the deal. He didn't lie to Trump, after all. So in the case that the Russia investigation does oust Trump, there's nothing to indicate at the moment that Pence would nominate someone different than Gorsuch. If Pence gets tossed out with Trump, we have President Ryan choosing Scalia's replacement.

No, we'd have to hold it off until someone gets elected at the top of the ticket. If Obama's nomination wasn't legit with over a year to go then there is no way some line of succession goober gets a nomination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Quarantine loving ruled

• Locked thread