Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Quest For Glory II posted:

everyone seems to love horizon new dawn right now but i'm interested to see if it adheres to the typical AAA hype-to-antihype cycle

where at launch it's the best game ever, in 6 month's it's 'pretty good', in a year it 'has issues', and in 2 years it's 'only get it on sale'

Change the 6 months to one week and 2 years to 6 months and you got it perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Pictures of Link from the dark timeline were Nintendo stopped making consoles and develop games for Xbox and ps

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Horizon Zero Yawn - some games journalist somewhere, I assume

Boreizon Zero Fun

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

mmm I still need to play Investigations 2

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Shindragon posted:

Oh god the pocket arguements, reminds me of the 3DS thread. *shudders*

I never read the 3ds thread but man is the switch thread awful

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Video games grade me on a point system that goes into the millions and only has a technical limit, why should I limit their potential to only 10 numbers?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Only the best games will earn the coveted Shiny Platinum rank

*little statue of Jeff Gerstmann lounging on a sofa spins around on results screen*

The worst rank is a small stone statue of Ben Kuchera falling backwards in a gaming chair

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

one hand is gun

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I started playing Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and it is bizarrely relevant to current events. The old dumpy president that puts on a tough act and pushes people around reminds me of a certain somebody, and I wouldn't be surprised if he attempted to fake an assassination attempt

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Depends on the strength of the pull. I'm sure it's not as strong as Zarya's ult because that would render her pretty much useless but if you can't escape it by just walking out of it then it sucks and opens up a ton of combos that result in "you die and can't do anything about it" which is already what a bunch of the game's skills amount to.

edit: ok based on the gameplay video it's less of a pull and more like a yank which is even worse

It looks like it has about the same strength as a Lucio bop. You could use it to catch people running for cover or shoot it over a pit and drag people into it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

drat it's a good time to be a gamer

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

BotW does not let you pet dogs :argh:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Ekster posted:

People who invert an axis in a FPS are just crazy though.

Wait so you do it one way for 3rd person cameras and the other for FPS?

You're the real monster

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah I too have a broken brain and play FPS inverted but I can't comprehend playing 3rd person games one way then you playing fps the other way.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah I was pretty down on Horizon before release cause of the developers track record, but I'm glad to hear I was wrong. I'll have to pick it up after finishing Persona 5.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

precision posted:

One of the most refreshing things about Horizon is that Aloy's gender barely matters, both in universe and in a meta sense.

And that's all the more reason why they should let you choose genders goddamnit!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't remember the exact statistic but I think it's only like 10% of people pick femshep in mass effect which is kind of a shame because jennifer hale is very good

Wasn't femshep supposed to be the main one but they put male on the box for better sales?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I love character creators in games. I can't start a new save on a souls game without spending 90 minutes making them look just perfectly hosed up.

I think I spent more time making characters in Souls Calibur than actually fighting.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The Colonel posted:

"so, uh, kid. i'm sorry. our last name is maverick. i just had to go for it"

Tell em grandpappy was good at cards

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Video game name aren't nearly as bad as naming your daughter Reagan

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I seen a kid named Mario and jfc the nerve of those parents

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Palpek posted:

It's really good. They basically expanded upon everything good from the first and cut out bad things. Both chaotic and stealth paths are fully fleshed out now and have a nice arsenal, it's a really cool game.

I'd like you to meet my kids Inede, Scissors, and Siksdeun

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

At least they aren't named Haydee

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I keep hearing good stuff about lightning returns, is it worth playing without playing any of XIII?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I wish they made more XIII games or even something in that same style

Cel shaded games are good

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Wild arms 3 was a cool

Can you shoot klansmen in it?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The graphics look like rear end somehow, when it should be easy to crank out decent looking assets for a Bomberman game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm not a fan of rooster teeth, but the convention I just got back from had a surprising number of RWBY fans.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I got to play one of the newer Initial D arcade games (stage 7) and it's tight as gently caress. The force feedback on the wheel kicks in when the course loads and it feels amazing. Now I want to play it more but my town doesn't have poo poo for arcades.

VVV:I didn't realize that was the Haloid dude, I thought they just made RvB. Rip Haloid dude

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 15, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I refuse to believe that there are asscreed superfans.

I just thought it was a generic geek Funko bait property, the game is too vanilla for somebody to care strongly about it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I don't know if I'm more surprised that Red Bull still exists in 2097 or that it existed in 1996

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What's a good game that isn't fun?

Every Suda51 game except NMH

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My bad hot take: A game that you enjoy is a good game. A game that you don't is a bad game. There's no "objectively good game" or "objectively bad game" lurking in the code, waiting to be uncovered. I know a couple of people who think universally praised games suck rear end, and people who get genuine joy from (what I considered to be) complete black holes of garbage. And they aren't pretending.

Having said that, score games however you want. A review is only useful in the sense that it illuminates and challenges the reader, so if you're good at explaining your thoughts on what works and what doesn't, that's more important than picking the correct types of numbers.

Edit: I've been inoculated against any interest in Mass Effect by the powerful combination of the bad ending of ME3 and the extremely good Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata being released.

I think a game can be subjectively bad while still fun. A good example is the Bionic Commando reboot, the core gameplay is incredibly fun, but the level design is very restrictive, there's not much enemy variety and the story is notoriously bad. It's a fun game but its wrapped up in poop.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

MGS3 is often regarded as the best one in the series but it's also the least fun, at least for me

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah MP3 is a solid G1F5

It'd be the greatest shooter ever made if you didn't have to sit through the same story every time

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm still reeling from cliffyb complaining about slow coverbased shooters when he's responsible for Gears

Also "overwatch is for your gf to play"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

e: or are you just saying the SC games are bad now (I liked V)

I think they've given up on the series because namco posted a video last year hinting at a big reveal for the 20th anniversary and it turned out to be a pachislot :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I started Nier 2, it's very good but BotW has got me playing pretty lax in combat. I can't help but root for the cute little robots, especially the ones with the cloaks and swords, I imagine they are their kind's heros.

• Locked thread