Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Look at this thing I found out about this morning haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's everybody up to today?

I'm watching board game videos. Other than that, nothing at all. Tired, that's about it. Might fall back asleep here since I'm not running on much sleep but who knows when I'll actually conk out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'm at the End of the World in Kingdom Hearts now and man this place suuucks

What don't you like about it? I thought it was fun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Literally the only thing anyone would twitter block me over if they're not a really hardcore Trump supporter is gamergate poo poo. Pretty sure I got put on a GG blocklist back in the day. It's not like I go around @ing people and trying to pick fights, I mostly just tweet about whatever godawful procedural I'm currently watching.

That's a good slide tho.

I'm having trouble parsing this, I'm probably just tired sorry, are you trying to say they blocked you because you're a hardcore trump supporter/gamergate supporter or because you're a hardcore antitrump/antigamergate person

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

i think it's pretty obvious lurdiak is anti both

I thought so too but I just wanted clarification cause my brain's all fuzzy right now. Sorry. Not trying to be a burden on anybody :\

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

FirstAidKite you are one of the best posters in the games chat thread and perhaps the entire games subforum, you are not a burden on anyone.

Ahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahhahahahahahhahaa

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
*pause to catch breath*

hahahahhaahahahaha

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My av is poo poo cause I forgot to edit the joestar mark to be on the correct side when I mirrored the image, tho that gets cancelled out by people who use the mobile app only seeing this part of my av

e: seriously though idk how some of you put up with me lol, all I do is show up and wish people a good day and disappear and sometimes post about games poo poo nobody else is talking about and otherwise just be sad and depressing lmao. Either that or just talking about dumb cosplay or anime poo poo like the dumb don't starve mod I wanted to make for KCB so she can play as the succubus in her av. You don't need to try to pat me on the back or anything cause I don't think I've done anything worth that kind of treatment, it's fine lol

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 9, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's everyone up to this morning?

I'm watching this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvSDSuUJzKA

Hopefully by the time it is over, I'll be tired enough to get back to sleep. If not, they've got plenty more vids I can watch.

What about the rest of you, what are you all up to?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I'm pretty good. Been trucking through Picross and I'm on Picross e4 on the DS. It's a good palette cleanser after other big games and nice to play before going to sleep.

Picross is good, after this vid I think I'll just pull up the freeware picross game on steam (picross touch) and play some of the steam workshop puzzles since games like picross help me get drowsy enough to fall asleep too.

fridge corn posted:

Im at work, working

Good luck with work, hopefully it isn't a stressful day!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm at work not working

Good luck with work, hopefully you aren't caught and punished for not working, though in any case you should probably get back to work just to be safe :backtowork:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I'm going to be taking all suggestions for embarrassing VNs to play during Novelember. Quite frankly, it's going to be the weirdest gaming month.

drat, there was a visual novel I was gonna recommend on steam but it's not there anymore. Seems it got taken down for some reason. It was called "It's your last chance in new school" and it was really short and awkward.

I should LP it or something to show it off.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I can't believe VideoGames is bringing back the awful anime hentai reviews in November

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

But visual novels get a boost from the visual aspect of them that can illustrate stuff for you to either save space in the narration, show a character's emotion better than words alone could, or capture a moment on screen so you can physically see it while you read about it- so that you know exactly what the developer wants you to picture.

Eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh I'd argue these can also be seen as negatives since it leads to less imagination when it comes to picturing what is going on. Also, I feel like books have more freedom in what they can do while the visual aspect of a visual novel seems to hinder it to some extent since everything that happens has to be something that can be, to some degree, shown.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Great idea! :D And my birthday is in that month, so it can be even more embarassing!

A buddy I have would likely suggest you check out "let's meow meow" except that was already reviewed by uhh

gently caress, who was it that even did those reviews anyway

Was it zack parsons?

Ok yeah it was zack parsons.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dota a cat

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Saya no Uta was good at this because they show you the protagonist's terrifying meat vision affliction in pretty much every scene of the thing because it's all from his perspective. It would be tedious to describe everything as "yup, it's a gross meat world and all my friends are meat and everything is meat to me" over and over, so instead they just skip that and show you in great, gory detail. In my opinion, it's much more effective that way.

Idk, I'm sure there have been books that handled similar things just as well. It isn't a case of repeatedly describing things so much as it is writing in a way that is interesting and entertaining. On top of that, repetition can be a very useful tool for a writer since it allows them to give focus to specific elements, drilling bits into your brain so that they can easily call back to them later.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I'd say both are valid, really. It's not necessarily that visual novels have an advantage because of their graphics, it just allows for a different form of presentation than a standard novel will provide.

Yeah, both have their advantages. I just can't imagine someone successfully making something as amazing as this in a visual novel format.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

What's the mystery? It says right there that fat cat is the one that took the cake. Seems like it's already solved to me!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the snake's design in yooka laylee

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Open world collectathons can be a lot of fun and I have faith that yooka laylee will at least be on the level of banjo tooie, and not DK64, a game which had waaaay too much going on. Banjo tooie was already pretty much at the limit of way too much stuff going on, mostly due to the size of the worlds and the backtracking. The interconnections between levels were neat but unfortunately there were a lot of points (in my experience at least) where you'd go somewhere new and find out you couldn't progress and would have to back track to get whatever you needed to progress further. Grunty Industries suffered a lot from this imo. Compare this to levels in Banjo Kazooie where they tended to be smaller and even the most complicated levels had some easy method of traversing them, except maybe mad monster mansion.

Basically what I'm saying is that banjo tooie needed its levels to be a little more compact and also needed more flight pads :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like if Rare took the lesson from Donkey Kong Country that "Players love collecting poo poo", I would say they learned the wrong lesson

Well if it is any consolation, I distinctly recall the yooka laylee dev team mentioning something about how they weren't going to go overboard like they did with DK64, that they understand what made DK64 so annoying and tedious

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I woke up today

Woke up at like 5:30~ AM from another nightmare. Another 12~ hours of sleep. No clue how much longer I'll be up before my body loses energy and I need to rest some more, but until then, thought I'd pop in here and ask how everybody's doing.

So uhhh

How's everyone doing this morning? Anybody got anything fun planned for today/the weekend?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's snowing outside. Winter weather advisory.

Make up your goddamned mind, weather.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ughhhh today just got really loving lovely really loving fast. Does anyone have any funny or cute video suggestions for me to help cheer me up

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks thread for the cute and/or funny pics/vids, they really helped :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Andrast posted:

Shadow hearts was cool

gently caress yeah it was.

Them never making another one is just the worst :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I never played steins;gate but I have the dlc for phantom breaker that lets you play as the girl from it and a person I know had to explain to the police why he had a body pillow of said girl when they showed up to check on him after someone called the cops on him for cutting apologies into his flesh that's my story I hope you enjoyed it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I mean, show me a list of perfect games and I'll tell you which ones I like

The monopoly video game that played this at the start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nif68iBR3LA

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't care for reviews in the typical sense of "gonna try to concisely discuss everything about a game and maybe give it a score," but I do like impressions, if that makes sense

e: like, people posting their first impressions or second impressions of stuff

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
People thinking Jim gave it a purposefully lower review score to generate attention for his review and people thinking other lovely people are lovely don't have to be mutually exclusive viewpoints.

Jim is pretty contrarian about certain things and a person saying that Jim talking it up about how his review score is gonna be lower than others' scores isn't the same as a person claiming that he deserves the extreme backlash or a person condoning the actions of the people against him or a person saying that nobody is allowed to give a game a 7/10 score because they're just looking for attention.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jim the one who specifically thrives on negative attention because that's what his whole persona is? Like, isn't that what his whole schtick starting out was, and now his persona is just all "I'm a massive egomaniac who is right about everything hahahaha come at me bro"?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember when the first Halo was considered the perfect game, the only perfect game, at my junior high school

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

I just don't see the purpose of continuously pointing out that he should have seen it coming other than normalizing the behaviour of those that are attacking him. Like, yeah Sterling likes stirring the pot but who cares? Why is that important to this conversation? I'm not saying that it's an attitude of "he deserved it" but it at least seems to be an attitude of "he should have been more careful" which is still hosed up because he really shouldn't have to be more careful when giving a game a slightly below excellent score and we shouldn't be acting like he made a mistake by doing so.

I imagine the reason people point out the stirring the pot thing is because if he legitimately is just stirring the pot for the attention it will get him, then pointing it out is a way of saying "don't give this person any attention please" like in a boy who cried wolf kind of scenario. If that makes sense?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sakurazuka isn't saying that harassment isn't an issue. They're saying that what's happening to jim isn't the same as sexual harassment.

Saying two things are dissimilar isn't the same as saying that one doesn't exist or isn't an issue at all.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

It's not sexual harassment, but it is regular harassment of which Jim Sterling, noted games yeller who I don't much care for, is the victim of. Because he gave a game a good score instead of a great score. The people getting mad about the scoring are the ones that need to be shamed, not the dude who wrote it.

A person can say that there is a difference between "a person is being harassed online and people agree that the people doing the harassing are being shits regardless of whether the person being harassed was being purposefully inflammatory or not" and "a victim of sexual assault should not be blamed for the way they dress and act, it's not their fault if they are sexually assaulted" while still believing both are important issues.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

This is a very, very charitable reading.

I believe in Sakurazuka until they prove they meant otherwise.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I 100%ed Woolly World when it was on WiiU and man is that game deceptively difficult. A couple of the bonus stages are loving hard as hell. Very Nintendo

If you think that's bad, I 100%'d it co-op and man that just makes some of it sooo much worse hahaha

That naval piranha level, man. God drat. The revenge of naval piranha.

e: wait, I guess I didn't 100% it really since I didn't collect all of the miiverse stamps. Are we including those? If we aren't, then yeah, 100%ed, but if are including them, then nope.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm trying to learn a board game in tabletop sim, a game called Quarriors. Hopefully I will be able to play it with others some day since it looks like fun :) I hear it isn't that great but I like the idea of just having a whole bunch of dice and rolling and seeing who manages to end up winning after 20 minutes or so.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

There is a Waluigi Yoshi.

Post it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Yesssssss

• Locked thread