Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man I really hope Nier is good. Honestly if it looks promising upon release and there's no issues with the port I will buy it full price on PC.

Thought about buying it for my PS4 which is just a Bloodborne machine so far but....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I will definitely buy Nioh at some point but I'm kinda Soulsborned out ATM and I don't want to play the game in this state

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Play Apollo Justice if you absolutely must have more Ace Attorney after you finish everything else I guess (EXCEPT Vs. Professor Layton which you just shouldn't play probably)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm approaching the end of my time with DQ8 on the 3DS and kind of want to replay Link Between Worlds but can't decide if I really want to do the Hero Mode thing where everything kills you in one or two hits

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

i do think review grades would be better if they included S-Rank

Only the best games will earn the coveted Shiny Platinum rank

*little statue of Jeff Gerstmann lounging on a sofa spins around on results screen*

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I made the mistake of comparing the Switch and Wii U visuals for Zelda and the Wii U version's pretty awful color contrast is sort of a dealbreaker :negative:

I know, I know, this shouldn't matter to me, but it's noticeable enough that I think I'd feel like I was cheating myself out of a really pretty game by not waiting to play it on a Switch, whenever I can actually get one.

Like I'm just gonna wait. I'm getting a Switch this summer for Spla2n; think I can wait a few months

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That possibly-carcinogenic new hardware smell when you open the box... I love it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

This is what reviews looked like back in 1998.

I wonder why Andy gave it an 8, and why he wasn't fired

quote:

Say goodbye to your friends and family before you start to play

yikes the stories about that haunted Zelda cartridge were real

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So who done played the Zelder

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Guess I'll wait to see how good of a job they did with the PC port of Nier and then choose that or the PS4 version

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Finish Fallout 4 so you never have to think about it again

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'd much rather just have another Sleepy dogs game. Was one of the last open-world-type games I enjoyed

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So are people actually having a hard time getting Switches? There's 4 of them sitting here at local Wallyworld midday

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Being able to go wherever you want in BOTW is absolutely insane. Not 4 hours in and I (extremely minor spoilers) charged straight to Hyrule castle, killed a boss, and got some overpowered weapons. Literally everything in there can one shot me so after a while i got tired of it but it's hilarious that you can do this.

Sounds like taking the "you can just do the dungeons in any order, whatever rent a tool" that I loved in Link Between Worlds and taking it to the next step. Excellent.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I saw the Giant Bomb guys accidentally blow up a fox in the bit of the Quick Look I watched

Yeah this game seems like it kinda rules

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WASTED

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hmmm recent discussion kinda makes me want to dig out the stupid plastic guitar and play around with GH1-3

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I never really got into the Rock Band series; think my favorite GH game was 2. Everything felt right- song selection and how the notes were arranged, the fact that it gave you a taaadddd more leeway than GH1 in hitting the notes.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Filed under " yeah kinda stupid but who cares"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What I really wonder about is if the web browser on the Switch is worth a drat- be a shame if that was bad/didn't exist on a portable tablet-form device.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Like, they won't make another Arkham Batman game, right?

Right?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm still burned out on the Arkham formula after Origins. I just don't want to play that drat game again unless they take it in a completely different direction.

Asylum was great, City was fun but diluted, and I shouldn't have even played Origins. Haven't played Knight obvs

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Feel like maybe they didn't need to create more demand at launch; they sold all the Switches right?

Be a while before the things are readily availible probably

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Why are you posting what MRA weirdos on Twitter think about here

I don't need that everywhere dude

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Q not equal E

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've turned to Giant Bomb's Quick Looks and pretty much any other actual footage of a game to try and see if I would enjoy it but that's no substitute for having actual criticism from someone who has your point of view or whose point of view you at least understand.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

The sequel to Shadow of Mordor is looking more and more promising. You're raising a huge army from the start now to bring down fortresses, you can have spies infilitrate those first, you can ride fire-breathing dragons, use the ring. The nemesis system got expanded a lot where for example the abilities of orcs you promote in your army will influence the defenses of your fortresses etc. I'm hopeful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9D7RTPI7yM

Man I hope this is good- Nemesis system was great but it didn't feel like there was a whole lot... there in the first game. Ending was also obviously unfinished/rushed.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to play BotW when I actually get a Switch this summer for Spla2n. Probably would have bought it for the Wii U but Nier came out at like the same time.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I love Sam and Max HTR because I also am fond of stupid old roadside attractions and try to see them whenever time permits. Game has an Americana feel to it for me

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Treasure trove of good usernames

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is BotW in the running for best open-world game ever? It's kind of sounding that way

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know it was the most likely outcome but I'm still kinda bummed that FO4 was markedly worse than New Vegas.

Have any of the DLC or mods elevated it in any way yet?

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 15, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

The DLC is not very interesting.

If you go in with New Vegas expectations, it will be a huge disappointment. If you go in with "is it better than F03" expectations, you will enjoy yourself. Mostly. There are a lot of neat sidequests, the shooting feels better, the way they did power armor was pretty cool, and some people really enjoyed the base-building stuff. The MC voice acting was pretty solid for both the man and lady options. I chose the lady since it was the same VA who voice Jack in ME2. The main quest was... a little better? It was not good though. In addition, I think they should have flat-out cut the radiant quest system, which would generate generic unremarkable quests that weren't immediately recognizable until after you had done a few and noticed they didn't go anywhere. It was really easy to start doing them without realizing they were just empty treadmill content and burn-out out on the game instead of exploring and doing the fun sidequests.

Y'know what I can live with that. Still waiting on a discounted GOTY edition though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The new Mass Effect game looks very janky and I pray to the vidogame gods for a bounty of silly gifs in this season

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

"You know, Undertale is bad, it doesn't have enough shotguns" or "DOOM 2016 is bad because I can't befriend the monsters."

Now that you mention it...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like objective analysis had more of a place in the NES/pre-NES era where you had games that just kind of... didn't work every once in a while.

"Controls like utter dogshit"

"glitchier'n a motherfucker"

"You literally cannot complete the game; it is broken"

"Action 52-style scam"

Like this stuff still happens but much less. More the realm of sketchy Steam Greenlight stuff and crappy F2P smartphone games now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For months after I played MGR: Revengeance I was going "man this would be so much better with some-amped-up corny metal" to every game I played after it

They've unintentionally created something about a million times more interesting than their stupid annual baseball game, yeah

• Locked thread