Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oddium posted:

i am going to wait for horizon to go on sale. but i'll be getting wii u zelda friday :hai:

if you're waiting for sales, the Target sale goes live on march 7th. it's just 4 days after friday and by then you could get zelda/horizon plus a free game, if you wanted a third.

Man I'm def getting Mass Effect but every single animation with the female Ryder is beyond hilarious. Maybe they should stop using her because her face is nightmare fuel levels of bad, just use the male version or something. She looks like someone from Dead Space who is about to rip her face off and become a necromorph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd be cool with Mass Effect: Argo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

everyone seems to love horizon new dawn right now but i'm interested to see if it adheres to the typical AAA hype-to-antihype cycle

where at launch it's the best game ever, in 6 month's it's 'pretty good', in a year it 'has issues', and in 2 years it's 'only get it on sale'

i noticed it happen with MGSV most recently. when it first came out everyone was fuckin exploding with cum over it and now people are like "UGH that game"

Are you sure you're not just reading way too many lovely Neogaf threads

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol IGN has been retard-level poo poo for years. I sympathize with anyone who reads them for anything. You'd be better off reading the indepth takes on even Kotaku, Destructoid, or Eurogamer

6.7 where the gently caress do these fractional numbers come from, is this Polygon

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The switch and ign can both be poo poo :ssh:

whoosh

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

You'd better believe I wrestled that moose

and got hosed up by it but who cares you don't turn down the opportunity to wrestle a moose

LOL what is this wonderful game, some kind of Oregon Trail clone?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

On the one hand, I want to hold off on getting Zelda since I know it's going to take focus away from Horizon and Nier: Automata.

On the other hand, it's loving Zelda and it looks so good

do what I'm doing, friend: buying all three in the Target sale next week and watch your brain melt

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's kind of funny to hear the tablet does nothing in the Wii U version of Zelda because it was so clearly made to integrate that thing heavily, which they must have completely stripped out when they made it a Switch launch title.

it sounds like playing on the gamepad scales it back to 720 and thus improves performance? at least that's how it sounds with the Switch version going from the TV to the off-TV gameplay.

BexGu posted:

Oh, what are the details of the sale?

buy 2 get 1 free. i'm just going hogwild and getting horizon+zelda if I can and then hopefully Nier, but if not I'll pick up something else new and put it towards Nier

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Hopefully you're getting the Wii U version because Switch games aren't eligible.

yeah I don't have a Switch so I'm hoping gamepad play of Zelda is stable enough

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oddium posted:

zelda is mgs5 + witcher 3

funny, I was thinking Journey + Shadow of the Colossus.

Playing it on WiiU and no major issues with it. I'm a massive stickler rear end in a top hat for framerates but nothing really comes up that's major enough for me to kill myself, game looks beautiful.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

honestly a lot of the framerate "problem videos" I saw for Zelda involved a few seconds on the Plateau starting area, which is an area that overlooks like the ENTIRE loving gameworld so I can understand why rendering and displaying all that poo poo might momentarily stutter a bit. A few stutters when fighting like 5 or more enemies but it hardly bothered me. it's really nothng different from what might happen if you played Bloodborne, which was also mainly 30fps with occasional quick lapses.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

All games should be on PC, all games deserve 60 fps

:yeah:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think I'm hitting hype backlash on Zelda. I'm about to go finally pick it up but the more I read hyperbolic reactions to it in the Breath of the Wild thread the more skeptical I get.

I don't doubt it's a very, very good open world game, but I feel like people are reacting to things that are general open world conventions as though Breath of the Wild is the first game ever to do them and their mind is blown. Is it just that it's both a very good open world game and also has the Zelda franchise, or are there concrete things about it that really do make it the most incredible open world game ever? Mild gameplay spoilers are okay--I've already spoiled myself on things like how many dungeons there are, so clearly I'm not going in totally blind.

I still think nothing can touch the amount of story and beauty presented in Witcher 3's world. Zelda is by all means a very nice change from the "go here, do dungeon, get item, move on" dichotomy of Zelda games but it achieves that through a kind of minimalism and simple joy in just being able to climb anywhere, do whatever in any order or jurisdiction, and play with things like physics, cooking, crafting, weaponry collecting, taming a horse, etc etc. By the end of the month I'm sure both Horizon and Zelda will have the same kind of praise about the things they achieve in open world gameplay.

I do think there is a poo poo ton of hyperbole though, I mean for god's sake Skyward Sword got like the same kind of "masterpiece" reviews and that game railroads you hard, gives you the same loving bosses over and over, relies on loving wiimote control, and inflicts you with a flying skyward gimmick that is boring and doesn't do much. It's a Zelda game and idc what anyone says, there is a degree of insulation around the series. That being said I think even after a day, BotW is 200x better than Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword by virtue of just not doing the same boring poo poo. For once it feels like an adventure and it's exciting purely because you have no idea what's next and you're free to conquer anything you feel like doing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

has anyone played both Horizon and Zelda? Honestly I want to play/try both but idk where the biggest differences are. I haven't played any open world adventures since Witcher 3 so I'm fresh for the experience. The only things I know probably differ in Zelda are climbing virtually anything, weapon durability, a parachute, more sparse story, 100 little temples to upgrade your poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just had my soul accidentally absorbed by Satan encased in a rock so as an apology, the Chef Boyardee village chief offered to give me a tour of the place but he's so goddamn fat he just huffs OH, OH, OH at every step

Zelda owns

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

BotW has made it frustrating for me playing Horizon again because I am like "why can't I just climb that rock?"

the next assassin's creed game is gonna feel like dogshit compared to this. being able to climb everything but balanced by the stamina bar was the perfect way to do things, and is way more fun and engaging over "hold down a button to climb all the parapets and jutting bricks you want but that's it"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

Everyone, video games are so good right now holy poo poo how are games this good

I have Horizon and Zelda going on already and both of them are amazing and Nier Automata is coming soon and holy poo poo video games

I'll have my top ten of 2017 by like, May at this rate

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Palpek posted:

How could anything in 2017 ever live up to this release?

I'm sure Overwatch will when they add Terry Crews in the game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

And that's all the more reason why they should let you choose genders goddamnit!

10 dollar DLC to play as Alan

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Palpek posted:

Is Wildlands actually any good though?

judging from the beta I played it's definitely the least unique or interesting game released in the ones released from January up until the mass effect/persona double whammy at the tail end of March. Quite frankly I don't give a poo poo because it doesn't matter if Ubi games perform or get rated well, they'll just keep making the same copy and paste poo poo. After Zelda and Horizon I don't even think the new AC game will be very engaging since even Zelda does the climbing gimmick far better.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

looked at jontrons's feed today and yikes, what happened to this guy's brain the last few months

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

He's always been kinda like this, but Trump's election has made some people think it's ok to say their horrible thoughts out loud.

he seems to have transformed into someone utterly joyless who hates where he lives (Manhattan) hates Zelda after 1 hour, liked Get Out but THE RACIAL THEMES ECHHH how on earth can someone be so unhappy when they make funny videos for a living

then again Notch is a billionaire who is loving miserable and tweets all day in his giant mansion so maybe videogames and youtube just make people nuts

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Guerilla Games is now doomed to make Horizon sequels forever like they've been making Killzone

it's my hope that they instead join hands with Kojima and help out even more as he gets the ball rolling on Death Stranding. bodes well for his game that Horizon looks and performs so well since he's using a chunk of their own engine.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fridge corn posted:

assassins creed syndicate is actually not a bad game

it's quite fun and improves on almost every mechanic in AC history---except for climbing. they give you a straight up zipline which is fun but instead of improving upon their central playstyle mechanic, they caked it with an EZ mode setting and took away any reason to do parkour poo poo. Playing Zelda and using that climbing gameplay is more satisfying but Syndicate as a whole is a good game that, yet again, did not need the cloak of ASSASSIN'S CREED to envelop it, much like Black Flag.

oddium posted:

breath of the wild actually has zero dungeons

I actually love this. Having 100 mini puzzle dungeons, naturally encountered battles and events, and the 4 Big Monster Things is a nice change from the back and forth puzzle dungeons of the last 4 or so Zeldas, which fatigued me big time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

to the few people who own both zelda and horizon, what are the main differences? just off the top of my head I'm thinking it's in:
--climbing mechanics
--weapon durability
--enemy variety

...but I'm curious how the locomotion of parachute stuff in Zelda compares to what moving around and traveling is like in Horizon, or if there's an analogue to the discoveries of kokoroks/shrines/shrine boss things in Horizon. Are they much different in world biome structures and platforming? I actually don't even know if Horizon has a jump button.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this seems more or less an exercise in making GBS threads on Horizon for physics/climbing mechanics it doesn't have. while it's pretty amazing how much Nintendo thought about even little things like setting grass on fire or the way objects can be destroyed, I would have at least liked if the guy who made the videos gave a poo poo about things maybe one game was better at than the other--like the combat or something.

It is def gonna be depressing going back to even other openworld games with a hunter/athletic character who does not possess the rock climbing ability that Link does and they just slide off architecture. I feel like many games should steal that concept.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shadow Of War's entire writeup ad gameplay video today sounds good on paper--more orc rpg poo poo, armies, fort defense, etc---but I can't help but feel I won't give a poo poo if the combat is still infant-level. The previous game became a joke like 1/3 in wherein I had to start deliberately not upgrading my poo poo or I'd be able to kill everything effortlessly. the sequel badly needs to take it down several notches because things get boring really quick when you're overpowered as gently caress.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

If anything people should be comparing HZD and Nier, they seem to be closer in that its combat > world design

that's obvious, combat is the centerpiece in virtually every Platinum project

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

I just realized I really want to see a superhero game use the Nemesis system. Like, something that isn't tied to Marvel or DC or anything, but a new superhero universe, and the Nemesis System is what determines who your rogues gallery and archenemy end up being as you defend the city from a bunch of small-time supervillains all clamoring over each other for wealth and power.

the next Batman game is rumored to utilize this poo poo but idk if there's any truth to the rumor

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

comparison

thanks, very useful. I'll probably get to play Horizon SOMEDAY probably in the sleepy july/august period where nothing else is coming out

haveblue posted:

Who's Colin Moriarty and why should I care what he thinks if that's a typical example?

the worst commentator on the KindaFunny channel because he reads poo poo like he's on the news. I laughed when I read his tweet "I'll keep saying what needs to be said" dude you write about loving children's toys please check yourself, you pathetic gently caress

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe people should be arrested the moment they make even a single penny from playing or writing about video games

nintendo has the right idea, they won't let anyone stream or even do videos of their poo poo. I thought this was greedy at first but considering the people who do this poo poo for a living I fully support preventing them from making monies

mutata posted:

GameGrumps has a Breath of the Wild series right now, in fact.

that's unfortunate

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 8, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think people kind of need to get over the idea of "games journalism" being actual journalism, because it isn't and it was never supposed to be. Sites like IGN or GameSpot are the video games equivalent of, like, the E! television network--it's entertainment news, not hard-hitting "journalism," and trying to hold it to some kind of critical standard is missing the point entirely.

What we're lacking isn't "games journalism," but rather good games critics. There are great movie critics out there, great literature critics, and even some good television critics these days, and that's not really paying attention to the academic side of criticism (which, having been there, is significantly up its own rear end, at least in the US). When it comes to video games, there are a few critics out there who are doing good work in games criticism, but they're few, far between, and generally overshadowed by the reviews published by the entertainment sites or people like Yahtzee who make accentuate-the-negative videos for entertainment purposes. Some sites like Polygon I think got too caught up in the word "journalism" and are trying to delve into that with little expertise--it's no accident that they're owned by Vox, because they're the equivalent of Vox but for video games--and simultaneously tend to be pretty clumsy at anything that approaches real criticism. (I'm using the word "criticism" in the academic sense--not necessarily criticizing, but rather engaging with something critically on a level beyond its individual game systems and technical aspects.)

there are very few critics I bother putting too much stock into but there are a few "journalists" who actually bother to make good informative pieces. Danny O'Dwyer's Noclip and even The Point was pretty good. Someone on Polygon, no idea who--it sure as poo poo wasn't Arthur Gies or Ben Kuchera--wrote an excellent, sprawling thing about Japanese game devs a few years ago.

DigitalFoundry is probably one of the only places that objectively covers poo poo. Eurogamer in general is pretty decent.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Serf posted:

I find that Polygon, RPS and Kotaku generally have a 50/50 ratio on decent articles when it comes to video games. Waypoint is really good and I dig their output in a big way. Hopefully we get more Waypoints in the future and fewer IGNs and Gamespots.

Kotaku, the normal feed of their crap aside, has surprisingly detailed and nuanced reviews nowadays. I remember the ones they wrote for AC Unity and Syndicate which were way better than they had any right to be.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oddium posted:

7.7 when i'm doing woke thoughts while driving to work, 8.2 while i'm playing it

IGN reviewer spotted

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

So if Wildlands tanks does Ubisoft have the liquid cash to fend off a Vivendi takeover, or should we expect this to be one of the last gasps for them?

it will more than likely make its money back and do well, just like every other Ubi game not named Steep.

Everyone from Guerrilla Games to Monolith to loving Nintendo can now make open world games better than they do so it's not really a big deal to me if they get buried, though it would probably suck for Michel Ancel. Maybe then he could finally make games for a company that gives a gently caress about his work.

If they have a last gasp I assume it would be the return of Assassins Creed which is probably going to be revealed at E3 and released this holiday

if they need to pin emergency monies on an AC game this winter they're going to get murdered by Red Dead 1

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so much poo poo in this game, just when I think I have it all figured out somebody does poo poo like this. I didn't know I could drop bombs while parachuting. I didn't know you could just use a torch to keep yourself warm on snowpeaks. It continues to be a constant "if you think you can do it you probably can" and that's great.

I never cared so much about a single Zelda until this one, it really feels like a huge adventure as opposed to a bunch of fetch quests to get 3 stones and then 7 crystals plus acquire a sword and do these dungeons in order.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

This is a huge one. They're still not letting characters start with the full punch/kick combos, but now they all have a limited number of special moves they start with that are all meant to highlight their character specialties. The wrestler has a piledriver, the luchador has an aerial move, etc. The milk run quest is the dumbest poo poo in the game and now it's 1/3rd as obnoxious, characters no longer have grapple positions that are useless to them.... There's still some bugs, including the pretty major online save bug they've been working on fixing since launch, but we're reaaaally close to where I can say "They fixed the game".

What does the boxer start with now because I loved playing as him but did not love his bottom-rung pitiful starting moveset. Do we now get info on what items and foods do what as well? Terrible starting movesets and deliberately obtuse items were what soured me but if those get fixed up enough I'll dive back in

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Playing BotW for the past couple days. It's really good but man are there some things that are kind of a drag. Stamina being used for so much and being such a limiter to exploring is the big one. The massive frame drops during battles and if I just turn the camera down in some areas is the other.

when you can climb anything and everything it's only logical that stamina is the equalizer. I haven't even upgraded my stamina once and I've never felt I was hosed over by it, even going to the tip top of the huger mountains.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

looking at the Zelda/Nier/persona 5 reviews earlier I was remembering the old Phil Fish quote about how Japanese games suck, then watched the video again and was surprised that when he describes his ideal Zelda game, it's pretty much what BOTW became https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUGwlFJAHw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are there video games with a co-op mode but playing single-player is better?

Mario 3D World in my experience only served to piss of my gf because I couldn't stop throwing her off cliffs by accident. it's easy to get lost or go too far ahead in levels, loving up your friends

• Locked thread