Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I've never played a Lufia game, I don't like JRPGs. Can you explain?

A sequel demands knowledge of its predecessor. If you don't have knowledge of something from a game, things in the sequel may be mysteries to you. That doesn't mean the first game 'spoils' the second.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Franchescanado posted:

Real talk, which to play first: Horizontal or Nicer:A?

Franchescanado posted:

I'm waiting for a Switch to play the Zelders.

Do you have the worst word filters or are you just being ~quirky~?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Lakbay posted:

Too late Nier thread has been an FBI document forever

The Automata thread should be styled like the loading screen documents from the first game

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

It's Homosexual > Homosexula -> Homosexdyne please get it right.

It's a haiku ya dingus.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Half-Life 2 was notable for having an interactive physics engine, something Rocket Robot on Wheels did better

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

What is up, chat thread? I finally got some sleep after being up for like 30 hours. Got up and made some delicious esquites and was happy, now I'm hearing about more lovely political things and I'm sad.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Wildtortilla posted:

With all this Nier: A talk I feel like I should play my 360 copy of Nier. That would involve digging out my 360 and finding my controller. Is there any difference between the PS3 and 360 versions? Does one perform better than the other? My PS3 is still hooked up and I much prefer that controller. I think I'd be willing to sell my 360 copy and buy it for PS3.

I don't think there's a difference unless you're in Japan, in which case Nier is a pretty bishie boy and Yonah is his sister instead of daughter.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

After playing Colorado some more in Hitman, I don't think the level deserves the hate it gets. I like it better than Bangkok. My biggest issue is probably that the main mission forces you to take the same exit every time, so I'm not completing any of the alternate exit challenges :argh:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

There's some poo poo on consoles, but no rpg maker games yet I think.

When was the last time you looked at XBLIG?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

It's a sort of low-key game where you play as a college drop out who returns home to a dying small town. It's mostly just social interaction with some good writing and simple puzzles.

and they're all animals

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I agree.

After my cat died earlier this month, I refined some of the clay we dug up to bury him (most of the soil here is clay-heavy) and yesterday I made this.

Sorry for the low quality photo, my phone camera sucks.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

way to date your game, nerds

I only date anime games

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

you certainly can't keep pretending you don't understand how someone can say Chrono Trigger is less anime than the Persona series.

Please describe exactly what makes one of these less 'anime' than the other thanks

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

In Training posted:

This exact same conversation happened a week ago

Yeah but somehow it's funnier this time

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

In Training posted:

Comedy rule of threes means April is gonna be a barrel of laughs

Games Chat Thread: Lurdiak and ImpAtom's Very (Un)Anime April

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

My eyes are the size of loving grapefruit.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I've tried playing Chrono Trigger a few times now and I dislike it as much as I dislike all JRPGs.

e: I like the music though.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

What didn't you like about chrono trigger if you don't mind me asking?

It's okay to not like things, I'm not trying to make you rethink your opinion, I'm just curious is all.

I like rpgs and chrono trigger is up there along with live-a-live, shadow hearts covenant, skies of arcadia, planescape torment, and terranigma for me (not in any particular order).

Like I said, it's not so much a Chrono Trigger thing as it is a JRPG thing. I don't like picking things to do out of menus and then watching my characters do them. I'd much rather have total control of the character. All the reading of the story (which I suppose is the main draw for most people who like JRPGs) feels like something I have to push through to get to the gameplay, and when I do the gameplay just isn't very fun. Seeing a character's numbers go up a little means almost nothing to me. Picking one attack that does a slightly different kind of damage, or costs some of one meter, or increases someones stat for the next three turns, it all feels the same.

It's very rare that I get invested in a game's story, and that's only if I also really enjoy the gameplay.

I wish you could change my opinion on it, because I know there's a lot of great games out there (including Chrono Trigger) that just bore me and I wish I could enjoy them like other people do.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

Random encounters can go suck it, especially

Oh christ, I forgot about this specifically because it wasn't a thing in Chrono Trigger. I absolutely hate them. I can't stand when I'm just trying to walk from one place to another and I'm getting bogged down every few steps to fight some lovely enemy that gets me like 1xp and 10 gold.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

In that case, how do you feel about about the Ys games?

I've never played any of them but I hear they have more Zelda-like combat. Is the series a continuous story or are they separate like Final Fantasies are? Is there a best one to start with?

Sakurazuka posted:

WiiU is fine performance wise and looks better but is missing stuff from the later 3DS version even if you buy all the DLC, notably best character Linkle's story mode.

Also the 3DS version lets you switch between multiple character during missions, adding variety and allowing you to cover more parts of the map more easily.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

These look alright. They both kind of remind me of the boss fights in Nier. (The original, I haven't played the new one yet.) I might go for one next time there's a sale.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

My friend forced me to buy this week's Humble Bumble because they're multiplayer-focused but I haven't heard of any of them. Which of these should we start with?

Move or Die
Helldivers
Eon Altar
Ultimate Chicken Horse
Tricky Towers
Rampage Knights

We're just two dudes if that matters

Tricky Towers is bullshit physics tetris and is pretty fun.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

I had a long nap today and feel great! :woop:

I've been Hitmanning but I'm considering skipping getting the humble monthly bundle this month (when it drops next week) and getting Phantom Brave since it's cheap right now and I could go for some fun srpg times. Still on the fence, though!

You are way too close to breaking past my Hitman playtime. :bahgawd:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really love this game!!

I also found a Trump parody in Bangkok today, who was sunning himself outside and bragging about how his housemaid thanks him every day for letting her work for him, and how he could become president, and - :stonklol:

It would have been funnier last year, now it's just a nightmare. :(

Oh cool, another reason for me to hate Bangkok as a level.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

What don't you like about Bangkok? I really like it, obnoxious hotel-goers aside - but I'm a giant sucker for vertical levels, they suit my style more than Colorado's flat plain.

I suck at navigating it. The whole place looks the same to me and it all feels very limited-access, even if maybe it's not.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's April, who's in charge of making the new thread?

e: I haven't played Persona but I know they deal with the major arcana. There has to be a good Fool/April Fools joke right

e: 'Your bond has strengthened with the April Fool' or something like that

Olive! fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 1, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I said come in! posted:

My anime list is just Studio Ghibli movies.

My Anime List is a website that someone wrote this article on:

Which (unknown to the writer) got edited into this because someone who worked at the site was 'very upset' about it

The added 11th character was a 'positive portrayal' of a nazi.

e: and even after getting called out on that, it is currently edited to this:

I wish I was joking April fooling you :smith:

Olive! fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 1, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Ometeotl posted:

Don't forget that they added an entry for Von Stroheim so they could have an example of a "cool" Nazi.

Edit: oops you did mention that.

I edited the post quite a few times! I may have even added that while you were making your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

• Locked thread