Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Her expressions make sense now that I've decided to roelplay her as a Botox fiend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Quest For Glory II posted:

everyone seems to love horizon new dawn right now but i'm interested to see if it adheres to the typical AAA hype-to-antihype cycle

where at launch it's the best game ever, in 6 month's it's 'pretty good', in a year it 'has issues', and in 2 years it's 'only get it on sale'

Even goon reviews, those most trusted and hallowed of all reviews, have to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm seeing it now with Doom. I was a tiny bit wary of playing it from criticism that it was going from arena to arena but now that I'm playing it I think about how similar these "arena" fights are to other games if I swapped it for something like "setpiece". And I'm noticing how much combat is actually spread all throughout the levels in areas of all shapes and sizes that could in no way be described as arenas. Not to mention how much "arena" combat there was in the original Doom games!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wamdoodle posted:

It's been a while since I played but DOOM still owns.

Yup. If it wasn't clear from my post, DOOM is everything I wanted and lots of things I never even knew I wanted.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cowcaster posted:

i take it back real life friends suck for video game recommendations

If I played what my friends recommended, I'd be playing The Division, MOBAs, Skylanders/Disney Infinity...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FirstAidKite posted:

Can't speak for The Division, but MOBAs can be fun casually with friends who aren't angry stereotypical MOBA players, and skylanders is definitely a fun mindless romp if you can get the stuff for cheap and have a friend to play co-op with

Nah, I honestly don't think they're terrible. Not making GBS threads on those games but they are so not my taste at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh! Uh, hey dad! Didn't hear you come down the stairs! No no, I was blowing on my cartridge to get it to work. My lips just got too close. Stupid me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay Rust posted:

What's everyone's favourite cartridge in terms of taste? The special gold-coloured Ocarina of Time cartridge for Nintendo 64 is probably mine, off the top of my head.

I'm trying to remember the name. gently caress. It's on the tip of my tongue.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

it has darklaw

Hell yeah

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bloodychill posted:

Is this... Wolverine Batman

Hell yeah

DC and Marvel cooperated on Amalgam, which was a line of special event comics that combined heroes together.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I'm a fan of that approach. It still leads to basically the same backlash as unfavorable/too favorable review scores (like, the comments on the Horizon review, which is just the text with no recommendation, weren't pretty) but I think it allows for a little more nuance than a numerical score does.

I find it makes me re-read the article and figure out what the score would be, in a good, critical thinking way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sound 3.5 :unsmith:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So what is going to be the big AAA release that actually satiates some peoples' blood lust for poo poo show reviews? Like they've been chomping at the bit to indulge themselves in the schadenfreude of a game that's been in development for years and has a huge budget go up in smoke once it's in the hands of reviewers and the gaming public at large.

It's a terrible time for gamers these days. So hard to find games to take a dump on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

There's not really much in the way of big, hyped-up AAA games left for 2017, is there? Prey is coming in May and that looks like it'll be pretty good. Mass Effect Andromeda has a shot at being good but also might be disappointing. Other than that, what's left?

I know Persona 5 is coming in April but a) we sorta already know it owns, and b) it's a bit too niche to qualify for that big, hyped-up AAA thing anyway.

Spider-Man only has one A but I'm hyped to get hyped for that and then be mega-disappointed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

I have no idea why I even got used to inverted Y axis in the first place but despite my best efforts I am forever tainted by it

A videogame character (well, their head) to me is like a camera on a tripod and moving the joystick is like moving the tripod lever.

But when I play a FPS with a mouse, up is up because controlling the view feels like controlling the cursor in any other program.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 3, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

:hfive:

Huh, that does make sense looking at it that way. Although for some reason I don't invert the X axis so I guess it's not quite the same (unless I'm getting my spatial reasoning all messed up, which is possible)

It is the same but the common way of phrasing it as "invert the y axis" isn't really accurate because it implicitly inverts both axes. Otherwise if the x-axis remained the same then when you pressed down-left you'd look/fly up-left which is really strange. If you invert the y axis then choosing invert the x axis means inverting it back again.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 3, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No wait (this can be confusing without the controller in front of me) it'd be strange for looking, but it'd be correct for flying.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tap my mountain posted:

Wait so you do it one way for 3rd person cameras and the other for FPS?

You're the real monster

If the FPS is joystick, inverted, if mouse then no.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They just need to come out with a bad-rear end firefighting game and VR will take off!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

raditts posted:

The only arcade shooter the world needs is Lucky & Wild

The rest can go straight into the trash

When you open your heart you soon realize there's enough love to go around for all arcade shooters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Optimus Prime

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

a kitten posted:

Saint's Row 3 had a demo that was just the character creator that you could then import into the game.

I love character creation and will happily restart to tweak some minor thing as long as the game is enjoyable.

Hell, I like trying to recreate the same character across multiple games given the opportunity.

Thankfully in some games you don't have to restart to change things up, like Saints Row (plastic surgery) or Dragon Age 2 (I think it was an option in the Black Emporium). In DA2 I changed up my appearance a few times to reflect how I ended up playing the character or when I got bored of whatever silly hair+beard combo I was using.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tap my mountain posted:

I love character creators in games. I can't start a new save on a souls game without spending 90 minutes making them look just perfectly hosed up.

I've never played a Souls game but I've seen a lot of videos and GIFs of Souls games and there's never a face to be seen. Only helmets.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay Rust posted:

If you named your kid Aeris or Rinoa, would you tell them where it's from, and risk your kid losing all respect for you?

One Google search and the respect goes away anyway. Might as well be up front about it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tap my mountain posted:

Video game name aren't nearly as bad as naming your daughter Reagan

Yeah because it reminds people of a foul mouthed, crucifix-loving, priest-killing demon.

Or that little girl from The Exorcist.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Palpek posted:

I remember reading an article on some crazy sect where children were named after common words and together they spelled out a sentence praising God. Somebody should do the same thing but spelling out a badass gaming quote.

These are my daughters Tutha, Arrow, and Knee. No wait... ah geez. Tutha, how many times have I told you you have to stand in between your sisters when I'm introducing you?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay Rust posted:

What I'll end up doing is just take my name and spell it backwards, like Alucard or that guy in Snatcher

"And this is my son, Bob."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I have a great aunt Zelda. :confused:

It's also one of the aunts' names from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

I just realized I really want to see a superhero game use the Nemesis system. Like, something that isn't tied to Marvel or DC or anything, but a new superhero universe, and the Nemesis System is what determines who your rogues gallery and archenemy end up being as you defend the city from a bunch of small-time supervillains all clamoring over each other for wealth and power.

For a long time, maybe since Crackdown, I've been dreaming of a Spider-Man: Gang War game featuring his organized crime (and henchmen-heavy) villains. The Nemesis system reinforced that idea for me, though it wouldn't necessarily need that system exactly. But it would be that same overall idea where you have the city carved up by mob bosses and supervillains and it's up to you to take down all their operations. But I'll settle for just seeing Mr. Negative in the new PS4 game coming out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Red Bones posted:

the turn speed from "every time the player moves"

Like Superhot?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haveblue posted:

Eurogamer is my main game news site despite not being in euro. Their reviews were always less fawning and they're responsible for one of my all-time favorite pieces of game writing.

That really was a good review.

Eurogamer is my go-to for write-ups but I usually go to GameSpot for footage.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Palpek posted:

The sequel to Shadow of Mordor is looking more and more promising. You're raising a huge army from the start now to bring down fortresses, you can have spies infilitrate those first, you can ride fire-breathing dragons, use the ring. The nemesis system got expanded a lot where for example the abilities of orcs you promote in your army will influence the defenses of your fortresses etc. I'm hopeful:

One thing I wasn't clear on (maybe it's because I didn't turn the audio on): what happens when that sniper takes out the orc he's fighting? Did the player command that or did having a sniper in his army just end up being good luck? Doesn't look like any commands were entered.

Also, something potentially disappointing is that huge orc/troll who takes down the gate. Says in his stats that he's a battering ram but is he ever able to ram through the gate on his own? Because in that vid it's the player who really triggers it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To spawn lots of art critics the art needs to be challenging or thought-provoking or it needs to say interesting things. Most games are barely above the level of being derivative of the genre movies they so clearly ape. I'm not sure there are enough games that come out in any given year to make it worth someone's while to write about what games are saying or meaning, especially if it's also been done in lots of other games before (or the movies that they copy). Maybe as games as a whole, though? Instead of specific games. Like writing about the patterns that appear or how attitudes and outlooks overall are changing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Palpek posted:

In King's Quest for example you needed to guess a gnome's name. That character is a refernce to Rumpelstiltskin (you have to know that on your own, the game doesn't include that name) but that's not the right answer.

In a totally different location in the game you can find a random message that says 'sometimes things are backwards' or something like that and if for some reason you connected that concept with the gnome's name you'd get Nikstlitslepumr...but that's also wrong.

The right answer is that instead of inverting the word itself you should have thought about inverting the alphabet and replace each A-Z letter with its Z-A counterpart so you'd get Ifnkovhgroghprm you big dummy!

Wikipedia posted:

In the episode of Batman "An Egg Grows in Gotham", Egghead uses Ghoti Oeuf as the name for his caviar [fish egg] business, and Batman explains the reference to Robin.

Robin:
"Ghoti" is "fish"?

Batman:
See here. English phonetics. GH becomes F, as in "tough" or "laugh". O becomes I as in "women". TI becomes SH as in "ration" or the word "nation".

Robin:
Holy semantics, Batman. You never cease to amaze me!

Batman:
No time for compliments, Robin. We must thwart some criminals. To the Batmobile!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Scrublord Prime posted:

The Rumplestiltskin puzzle is at least optional, if you can't guess his hosed up name in three tries you can take an alternate route to the cloud/mountain area and you'll just miss getting a perfect score. It's no deadly snake that you need to randomly throw a bridle you got from a genie on to transform into a flying horse so it'll give you a sugar cube that will protect you from poisonous brambles you need to cross later on. Or the classic throw a boot at a cat chasing a mouse in a timeframe of a second or two else you leave the game in an unwinnable state when you enter a random inn and get tied up by a bunch of bandits! Or my favorite from another Sierra adventure game Gold Rush: While traveling by ship you can randomly get a disease and die or the ship will randomly sink and you die and the game will literally tell you "There was nothing you could've done!" The only way to survive is to load a save before getting on the ship and hope the RNG won't kill you next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4tmzwrdTmY

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

People don't unsubscribe from youtube channels. You have to manually go to the channel or your subscriptions list, browse through it, find them, and unsubscribe. The vast overwhelming majority of Youtube users don't bother doing that. So you end up slowly gathering a big stockpile of people who don't and will never watch a video of yours again, but don't want to bother unsubscribing because that takes more effort than the alternative. If you upload pretty rarely, that probably helps, because your videos only rarely show up in peoples' feeds to remind them they're still subscribed.

edit: what I'm getting at is that subscribers mean nothing, the views are what matter in determining someone's popularity.

Based on the amount of notifications I get from subscribing to just a single account this sounds insane.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Ah yes, the scourge of antisemitism would have been wiped off the face of the Earth altogether were it not for the popular television show, "South Park."

North Americans might have not given a poo poo about "gingers" if it hadn't been for that show, though. Swear I never heard the term or thought twice about redheads before that show.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

this is me sitting in front of my ps4 patiently waiting for persona 5

I don't see a controller in those hands. You could be gaming.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rexroom posted:

Hey guys I think the new Mass Effect game might be good they really took the series to a new direction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zUilV_oemg

That was amazing, thank you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Macaluso posted:

If they partnered with Nintendo on the new Mass Effect and added Bowser as a romance option they'd probably win game of the year

Super Mario Galaxy RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bloodychill posted:

EGM had (iirc) 4 reviewers to every "big" game and actually made it a point to put a person who didn't like the genre in one of the review spots. I kind of liked that.

Both systems are good, because I remember that but I also remember enjoying PC Gamer and how they had reviewers who were specialized. Like if you wanted to know whether this strategy/war game was great in the context of all strategy/war games, they had a dedicated columnist for those types of games every month.

• Locked thread